Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

dragon enthusiast posted:

I like how Ojutai in the end doesn't really care that Narset found out the truth

Why would he? He's constantly telling his followers to seek knowledge and enlightenment, he shouldn't be surprised when one does just that. He probably only wanted it hidden in the first place to assert control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bhsman posted:

There was an entire spat yesterday where he assured me he wasn't making a personal attack and then called me mad for people insulting a pet card that I already admitted wasn't great, so yeah.

I know I read it, that guy you quoted was actually on your side

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

forbidden lesbian posted:

Narset's rebound ability would be pretty nuts in Jeskai Tokens with Acendency out...

RME
Feb 20, 2012

these will go great in my edh deck

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cernunnos posted:

Scroll Rack reprint? :v:

I got really excited because I thought she had impaled a candle on the end of her spear-hook as an improvised torch, but it looks like it's just generic-rear end magic :(

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

forbidden lesbian posted:

Not exactly, but this is the last time I'll reference it.

A friend of mine has pointed out that you can cast a spell with Narset's minus ability and then get it back with Soulfire Grandmaster's ability (assuming it survives). Master the Way? :devil:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Narset's rebound ability would be pretty nuts in Jeskai Tokens with Acendency out...

I agree, but I don't know why you quoted me for this post

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Starving Autist posted:

Why would he? He's constantly telling his followers to seek knowledge and enlightenment, he shouldn't be surprised when one does just that. He probably only wanted it hidden in the first place to assert control.

it's a bit of a contrast to the Ojutai from Khanfall, that's all.

Also the whole dynamic between Taigam and Narset seems like a set-up for one of those "master passing down the ultimate secret" rivalries from kungfu movies

Also Narset and Tamiyo gonna be bffs

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

A friend of mine has pointed out that you can cast a spell with Narset's minus ability and then get it back with Soulfire Grandmaster's ability (assuming it survives). Master the Way? :devil:

I don't think that works, if the spell has rebound, it doesn't go to the graveyard the first time around, so SGM's ability has no effect there, and on the rebound, it isn't being cast from your hand, so again SGM does nothing.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Narset + doubling season is going to lead to so much EDH salt

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Starving Autist posted:

I don't think that works, if the spell has rebound, it doesn't go to the graveyard the first time around, so SGM's ability has no effect there, and on the rebound, it isn't being cast from your hand, so again SGM does nothing.

So it does; still gives you a ton of life with burn spells however.

I didn't see this mentioned on the Cast Through Time page, but if you have a modal spell with Rebound, can you choose different modes each time?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
The art for Marang River Skeleton is a little on the nose

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Narset + doubling season is going to lead to so much EDH salt

That's a spicy meatball, ouch

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I know it's not amazing or anything, but I'm looking forward to the simple pleasure of curving Dragon Fodder into Rabblemaster.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

So it does; still gives you a ton of life with burn spells however.

I didn't see this mentioned on the Cast Through Time page, but if you have a modal spell with Rebound, can you choose different modes each time?

Yes, since you're recasting it, you choose again. Notably, copying a modal spell doesn't let you pick new modes since you're copying the already moded(?) spell.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Thunderbolt Regent confirmed to be A Bad Card continuing the fine tradition of Game Day top 8 cards being not so great.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I got really excited because I thought she had impaled a candle on the end of her spear-hook as an improvised torch, but it looks like it's just generic-rear end magic :(

generic rear end-magic

Ramos posted:

Was Azami dealing with compulsive issues? This is a legitimate question, because Narset is ridiculously twitchy throughout the story.

No Azami's actually just bizarrely chill about everything while setting up people to be murdered horribly. I guess the part that I drew parallels from was obsessive search for knowledge and enlightenment but Azami is a lot more stoic than Narset. I think it's cuz Narset is supposed to be a key figure while Azami's kind of just there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BXCX posted:

Thunderbolt Regent confirmed to be A Bad Card continuing the fine tradition of Game Day top 8 cards being not so great.

They aren't all bad, there was, uh, hang on... Utter End?
Before that I think you have to go back to Black Sun's Zenith or Tempered Steel.

I really wish Supplant Form was playable in Standard, because the game day promo art looks awesome.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

generic rear end-magic

I mean, the Dragons on Tarkir are born from Ugin's giant fart clouds...

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Thunderbolt regent is pretty good? It's basically a 3-power evasive haster that guarantees the damage if they bonk it that makes them discard a removal card. I get that it doesn't have true haste but in a RDW shell it's actually at a good spot on the curve to be a finisher (though Siege might keep it from seeing play).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also hanging out with ojutai seems to give you better clothes and glowing eyes. This seems pretty awesome and I think having that guy in charge is a good idea.

I hope we can see what kind of fashion sense comes with the other dragons.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I guess he's been hanging out in that river for a LONG time.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

No Azami's actually just bizarrely chill about everything while setting up people to be murdered horribly. I guess the part that I drew parallels from was obsessive search for knowledge and enlightenment but Azami is a lot more stoic than Narset. I think it's cuz Narset is supposed to be a key figure while Azami's kind of just there.

Well, that and I think the story is supposed to be about her steadily moving past that bit of red coloring in her to proper enlightenment and that jazz. Azami's fully blue, which means she's more robot than person anyway.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Come right in the water's fine.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I've never purchased a booster box before, and I really just started playing a few weeks ago. Pretty sure I want to buy a box though. Does the promo for buying a booster work the same at any LGS? Do I need to preorder? How's this work?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

1000 years in a river and you, too, can learn how to block!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man why isn't it a skeleton rogue, that would have been an awesome call out.

A thousand years in the water hasn't dulled his thirst for your wallet!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The flavor text on those two cards alone is good enough, imo.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dohaeris posted:

I've never purchased a booster box before, and I really just started playing a few weeks ago. Pretty sure I want to buy a box though. Does the promo for buying a booster work the same at any LGS? Do I need to preorder? How's this work?

Regardless of what you do be sure to draft that box or you'll get what's coming to ya

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dohaeris posted:

Earlier this year a guy asked at our LGS if they still had the Box promo (Rattleclaw Mystic), and the guy said no.

So instead he gave him the M15 promo (Goblin Rabblemaster).

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dohaeris posted:

Generally preorder can be as simple as "I'd like to preorder a box." and then they'll tell you something along the lines of

"Sure just pay part or all of it down right now."
Or
"Sure we'll put one aside for you for release day just pay for it when you come get it."

The promo is generally limited quantity so the sooner is probably the better if you really want the promo.

Angry Grimace posted:

Earlier this year a guy asked at our LGS if they still had the Box promo (Rattleclaw Mystic), and the guy said no.

So instead he gave him the M15 promo (Goblin Rabblemaster).

I'd take that offer any day of the week holy poo poo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I just buy boxes online, because my LGS usually charges about $20 more than it costs to just buy it online. Its not like they wouldn't do a discount or anything, its that a box of FRF was like $90 online and they couldn't match it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Remember it took a while until everyone noticed how insane rabble is.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alaan posted:

The store owner of the place I bought my box of M15 was really confused as to why I wanted the Rabblemaster promo so badly, he said that it was "really really poo poo."

I wish I had bought a lot more when they were a buck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alaan posted:

He was trying to get the Khans promo, so it was way after it spiked to $15.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Thunderbreak Regent seems pretty playable. You get value out of it if the opponent attempts spot removal, curves into stormbreath and gives more value to stormbreath if they attempt to kill it before dealing with regent. Also trades with opposing stormbreaths. 4 mana for a 4/4 flier with upside is pretty good in red. Between the two phoenixes and two decent dragons, red has some good flying power going on right now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Thunderbreak Regent seems pretty playable. You get value out of it if the opponent attempts spot removal, curves into stormbreath and gives more value to stormbreath if they attempt to kill it before dealing with regent. Also trades with opposing stormbreaths. 4 mana for a 4/4 flier with upside is pretty good in red. Between the two phoenixes and two decent dragons, red has some good flying power going on right now.

Thunderbreak Regent is playable if you have enough dragons. There's almost certainly a Dragons deck of some kind out there with Regent-Stormbreath-(Kolaghan?) with all the lower CMC dragon enablers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Outburst into Regent into Kologhan is blackjack, after all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Outburst into Regent into Kologhan is blackjack, after all.

Or you just cast the 1R Goblin dude and skip straight to Regent. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Does Rebound still trigger if the spell is countered?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the "as it resolves" part.

qbert fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread