Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

i have absolutely no idea what purpose duck typing serves in a language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
colleague is doing our mobile app using phonegap

40MB helloworld package for the mother loving win

almost as epic ftw as my spring4 rest backend which uses like 400mb of ram before even getting to any sort of useful functionality

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bhodi posted:

Subjunctive, you're moving off the team? Are you angling to be in front of an IDE again?

nah, I miss writing code but it's not what people should pay me to do really. the org structure changed (for the better, IMO) and it didn't make sense to have a senior manager running a small team, so I'm going to find another team at FB where I can use all of my skills. an amicable parting.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

that's a huge change, i can't imagine the amount of effort that must have gone into it

also loooooooong overdue

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

that is super cool

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

colleague is doing our mobile app using phonegap

40MB helloworld package for the mother loving win

almost as epic ftw as my spring4 rest backend which uses like 400mb of ram before even getting to any sort of useful functionality

just do him a favor and end his life.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

nah, I miss writing code but it's not what people should pay me to do really. the org structure changed (for the better, IMO) and it didn't make sense to have a senior manager running a small team, so I'm going to find another team at FB where I can use all of my skills. an amicable parting.

come to London

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malcolm XML posted:

come to London

if we move, it'll be back to Toronto, but a kind offer (and I'll probably travel there for work a fair bit if I take one of the options I'm exploring)

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I found the reason for my partial downloading issue in node.
It was downloading the full file. No issues with HTTP/HTTPS.

It was node's "readfile" function not reading full files if they were piped in.

http://nodejs.org/api/fs.html#fs_fs_readfile_filename_options_callback
This behavior is not documented of course.

Creator of D3 reporting this issue, so I'm in good company I guess...
https://github.com/joyent/node/issues/7412

Of course node devs closed immediately, won't fix, working as intended, etc.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 4, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MeruFM posted:

lol owned

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MeruFM posted:

talk about owned

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MeruFM posted:

:allears: node is so great to hear all the bugs about. This goes in the other 90% of issues being due to the platform.

Most of my debugging for node and particularly socket.io apps on our platform involves going to the issue page and looking for similar tickets.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Subjunctive posted:

it's a hard knock life

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Malcolm XML posted:

come to London

london is terrible, but eh, it's ok

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

WHAT'S THAT

IT LOOKS LIKE WHAT EXACTLY WHAT I SAID WAS HAPPENING

WOW

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this belongs in the security thread or here:

Ignoring the hero art, are the people who listed at this ~*iOS security talk*~ worth expensing $125 to listen to?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tef posted:

it's a hard knock life

truly, :qq: for me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hed posted:

Not sure if this belongs in the security thread or here:

Ignoring the hero art, are the people who listed at this ~*iOS security talk*~ worth expensing $125 to listen to?

ian beer is pretty good, if he's who was I'm thinking of. even if I'm misremembering, project zero folks are usually a safe bet for awesome.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

i thought the oculus team was actually fairly big? what happened?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Dish posted:

i thought the oculus team was actually fairly big? what happened?

oh, I wasn't running all of oculus, just the PC software team. the overall product org could have grown in a few different ways, the way it made most sense in the end meant my team wasn't going to grow as we'd planned. doesn't make a ton of sense to have me in that role if the team isn't going to grow, so I'm finding one that does.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Subjunctive posted:

oh, I wasn't running all of oculus, just the PC software team. the overall product org could have grown in a few different ways, the way it made most sense in the end meant my team wasn't going to grow as we'd planned. doesn't make a ton of sense to have me in that role if the team isn't going to grow, so I'm finding one that does.

heads up here is some of the better engineering you'll see in this thread

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tef posted:

don't hate, I'm just trying to have the most impact I can and have a good time and make friends

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Subjunctive posted:

don't hate, I'm just trying to have the most impact I can and have a good time and make friends

he might have been serious :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

prefect posted:

he might have been serious :shrug:

maybe! I'm trending negative because I'm tender and vulnerable because some people I really like and respect are sort of mad at me for leaving and I just want everyone to be happy and make great stuff.

but this isn't the job status thread, so I'll end the awkward-but-flattering derail I guess.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

tef posted:

failure is not an option :byodame:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

that said, Subjunctive it'd be nice if you could go more than three posts without humble-bragging about things you used to make

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

maybe! I'm trending negative because I'm tender and vulnerable because some people I really like and respect are sort of mad at me for leaving and I just want everyone to be happy and make great stuff.

but this isn't the job status thread, so I'll end the awkward-but-flattering derail I guess.

I'd prefer it to bashing Angular 2.0. Please continue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brain Candy posted:

that said, Subjunctive it'd be nice if you could go more than three posts without humble-bragging about things you used to make

:shrug:

I just talk about my experiences; that's where I got them. I don't feel like rjmccall is bragging when he talks about working on swift or suspicious dish about red hat or hackbunny about reactos or bean dip about canary or rope kid about fallout stuff or whatever. they tell their stories and I find them interesting even when they evidence incredibly wrong opinions by disagreeing with me. I'm sorry if it makes you feel bad about yourself or something. in general I find that "I believe X because of experience in the context of Y" is more useful than "X is true" as a pattern of discourse, and it's definitely a habit I've developed.

on topic: I hadn't really looked into word2vec in detail until a conversation with someone yesterday, but it is pretty amazing. you can have vectors that represent Washington DC, USA, Paris, and France and then Washington - USA + France = Paris, with any number of meaningful relationships. what the actual hell.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Subjunctive posted:

:shrug:

I just talk about my experiences; that's where I got them. I don't feel like rjmccall is bragging when he talks about working on swift or suspicious dish about red hat or hackbunny about reactos or bean dip about canary or rope kid about fallout stuff or whatever. they tell their stories and I find them interesting even when they evidence incredibly wrong opinions by disagreeing with me. I'm sorry if it makes you feel bad about yourself or something. in general I find that "I believe X because of experience in the context of Y" is more useful than "X is true" as a pattern of discourse, and it's definitely a habit I've developed.

on topic: I hadn't really looked into word2vec in detail until a conversation with someone yesterday, but it is pretty amazing. you can have vectors that represent Washington DC, USA, Paris, and France and then Washington - USA + France = Paris, with any number of meaningful relationships. what the actual hell.

i appreciate your posts

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You are a good poster and also a good person Subjunctive.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Brain Candy posted:

i disagree

subjunctive's chatter about mozilla is some of the most content-rich posting in yospos

i've never done anything cool and most of the places i worked were soul-corroding hellscapes, so it's nifty to see people talk about things they're actually kinda/sorta proud of

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Subjunctive posted:

in general I find that "I believe X because of experience in the context of Y" is more useful than "X is true" as a pattern of discourse, and it's definitely a habit I've developed.

in general i find that the more patterns i stuff into the discourse by way of padding the relevant example with reams of purple prose to disguise the true intention of putting so many words on the page that despite being wrong by the time it's evidenced in the text people have run out of steam to argue the point and to a relatively passive observer one side putting forth all the trappings of good faith and not meeting significant resistance might as well be a victory

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

in general i find that the more patterns i stuff into the discourse by way of padding the relevant example with reams of purple prose to disguise the true intention of putting so many words on the page that despite being wrong by the time it's evidenced in the text people have run out of steam to argue the point and to a relatively passive observer one side putting forth all the trappings of good faith and not meeting significant resistance might as well be a victory

didn't read this post, it was bad

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Suspicious Dish posted:

didn't read this post, it was bad

in summary the internet is not an always-on, infinite, immediate resource

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
the internet is an infinitely stiff bullshit source

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

in summary the internet is not an always-on, infinite, immediate resource

wish we could say the same of your posts

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

You are a good poster and also a good person Subjunctive.

:agreed:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
i thought discourse was built on ember, not angular 2.0 :confused:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ya i like the stories from ppl working on high-profile poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

oh, i totally like stories too. but when duder admitted he got sucked into mgmt the hints of a wounded ego suddenly made more sense