Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

Does Rebound still trigger if the spell is countered?

No, the rule on Rebound is to exile it as it resolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I'm going to play Goblin tribal at FNM with Obelisk of Urd. You can't stop me, I'm going to do this.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I'm going to play Goblin tribal at FNM with Obelisk of Urd. You can't stop me, I'm going to do this.

Why would we stop you?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Angry Grimace posted:

Thunderbreak Regent is playable if you have enough dragons. There's almost certainly a Dragons deck of some kind out there with Regent-Stormbreath-(Kolaghan?) with all the lower CMC dragon enablers.

Hopefully there would be more playable dragons for the deck, but regent and stormbreath alone seem like enough. A lightning strike as punishment for a downfall is probably pretty relevant when your deck also contains a big hasty flier, a hasty flier that can resurrect each combat, and a 4 power flier that leaves behind a morph when it dies. Big red could play a deck filled with value creatures.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So the question is: is the midrange Skies deck pure R, R/B for OG Kolaghan, R/W for Wingmate Roc, or what?

I see Stormbreath, Thunderbreak, and some number of Ashcloud or Flamewake Phoenixes. That 1/3 dragon-cheapener might be worth it as well. Is Dragon Tempest worth it?
There's supposed to be a monocolored rare cycle and a monocolored uncommon cycle, right?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
The 4 mana dragon seems playable, but I'm not sure most decks wouldn't just want Ashcloud Phoenix over it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So the question is: is the midrange Skies deck pure R, R/B for OG Kolaghan, R/W for Wingmate Roc, or what?

I see Stormbreath, Thunderbreak, and some number of Ashcloud or Flamewake Phoenixes. That 1/3 dragon-cheapener might be worth it as well. Is Dragon Tempest worth it?
There's supposed to be a monocolored rare cycle and a monocolored uncommon cycle, right?

I see the Dragonlord-goblin as a good sideboard card against quick aggro decks; 3 Toughness for blocking early creatures and speeds up your tempo.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The regent cycle is the monocolored cycle, yeah.

The uncommon cycle probably won't be constructed playable. Probably in line with the FRF uncommon cycle.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

My brother is actually going to do the same thing. Between Foundry Street Denizen, Dragon Fodder, Hordeling Outburst, and Goblin Rabblemaster, hell I kind of want to build that also

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
I'm pretty sure evolving wilds card number confirms no zendikar fetches assuming the 5 basic lands are in, i dont remember who i was talkin about who bet they were in dtk but score another one for the ol' aisar baseless speculation wagon.

On that note, as somebody who was excited about prophetic flamespeaker, I assure you that while narset will own bones for standard, her modern playability is suspect.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Mercury Crusader posted:

My brother is actually going to do the same thing. Between Foundry Street Denizen, Dragon Fodder, Hordeling Outburst, and Goblin Rabblemaster, hell I kind of want to build that also

Don't forget Mardu Scout. :getin:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'm gonna do the same but with brood keeper and a poo poo load of 1 cast auras and that hasty dragon enchantment thing.

IT WILL WORK

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I wouldn't count on anything else playable popping up, really. I think it will be R/B, depending on what else gets printed. Enemy Fetches would mean Arid Mesa, and a good reason to go Mardu (Chained to the Rocks).

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Jund flyers for that sick rear end mana ramp.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Aisar posted:

I'm pretty sure evolving wilds card number confirms no zendikar fetches assuming the 5 basic lands are in, i dont remember who i was talkin about who bet they were in dtk but score another one for the ol' aisar baseless speculation wagon.

On that note, as somebody who was excited about prophetic flamespeaker, I assure you that while narset will own bones for standard, her modern playability is suspect.

The curious thing isn't fetchlands (they aren't strictly necessary for anything other than playing other formats, where you can use KTK fetches perfectly well 90% of the time), its that it suggests there's no further lands to fix your mana despite DTK being an explicitly multicolor set.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is there any possibility at all of spell lands being around, or manlands?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AceClown posted:

I'm gonna do the same but with brood keeper and a poo poo load of 1 cast auras and that hasty dragon enchantment thing.

IT WILL WORK
I do this with a (janky as gently caress) modern deck and my 1 drop enchantment is Shimmering Wings.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Goblin's Acendancy 'cause Obelisk of Urd triggers it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The curious thing isn't fetchlands (they aren't strictly necessary for anything other than playing other formats, where you can use KTK fetches perfectly well 90% of the time), its that it suggests there's no further lands to fix your mana despite DTK being an explicitly multicolor set.

Honestly, if they wanna print the Onslaught/Khans Fetches for a 3rd set in a row, I would not complain.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Aisar posted:

The speculation was based on wishful thinking, I would not be surprised to see them in MM2, however.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mutavault wouldn't be nearly as good in this format...

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Starving Autist posted:

The speculation was based on wishful thinking, I would not be surprised to see them in MM2, however.

Or a possible return to Zendikar which is probably next year at the latest. But as soon as we knew this was an ally color set that basically killed ended enemy fetches.

MTGS Has a speculated Dragon_______ sanctuary cycle and one more land slot in their crunch.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Chamale posted:

Downsides:
- 2WU mana cost. The only 4+ mana planeswalkers in Vintage are Jace TMS and Tezzeret the Seeker, one of whom is a one-card "You win the game next turn".

Yep, and the other one can get you a Time Vault and Voltaic Key in succession.

(Narset doesn't seem Vintage playable as long as Jace is around. And then still probably not. She takes way too long to affect the game state meaningfully at 4 mana.)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lord Of Texas posted:

Yep, and the other one can get you a Time Vault and Voltaic Key in succession.

(Narset doesn't seem Vintage playable as long as Jace is around. And then still probably not. She takes way too long to affect the game state meaningfully at 4 mana.)

I've lost a lot of games despite having Jace, he's fairly weak in Vintage at the moment because there are a lot of Lightning Bolts in the format. I think Narset is worth giving a shot, because I love the idea of chaining good spells with her.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Honestly, if they wanna print the Onslaught/Khans Fetches for a 3rd set in a row, I would not complain.

The issue, of course, is that DTK is a new "block," so they're less likely to do that the way they did with FRF.

Chamale posted:

I've lost a lot of games despite having Jace, he's fairly weak in Vintage at the moment because there are a lot of Lightning Bolts in the format. I think Narset is worth giving a shot, because I love the idea of chaining good spells with her.

Jace isn't that good in Vintage because he's 4 mana to cast. Dack Fayden pitches to Force just as well and steals your opponents Moxen.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Does dragonlord's servant reduce alternate casting costs like old kolaghan's dash cost?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

The issue, of course, is that DTK is a new "block," so they're less likely to do that the way they did with FRF.
Yeah,I don't think they "can" within their framework. You don't put cards in a set that aren't legal with a set.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Entropic posted:

They aren't all bad, there was, uh, hang on... Utter End?
Before that I think you have to go back to Black Sun's Zenith or Tempered Steel.

I really wish Supplant Form was playable in Standard, because the game day promo art looks awesome.

I quite enjoy the full art promos and jam them everywhere they fit despite their badness. Dungrove Elder, Dryad Militant, and Strangleroot Geist in Modern Stompy? Check. Chief Engineer in MonoU Robits? Check. Sup, Plant Form? in my EDH bounce deck? Check. I do wish they'd pick uncommons that they know will be good in constructed formats more frequently; I don't mind that they pick goofy casual appeal rares for the foil, but it would have been kickass to get Swiftspear/Seeker of the Way over Heir of the Wilds or Nyx-Fleece Ram/Eidolon of Rhetoric over Squelching Leeches. Reclamation Sage Kicks rear end though.

Also, I missed Narset+Doubling Season chat, but I doubt it will be that big of a deal since Doubling Season plus pretty much any decent Planeswalker is really gross because most walkers can ultimate off of double their starting loyalty. Out of 57 walkers only 15 can't, and one of those is Tibbles.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Does dragonlord's servant reduce alternate casting costs like old kolaghan's dash cost?

Yes, casting Kolaghan for Dash is still considered casting Kolaghan.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Alaan posted:

Or a possible return to Zendikar which is probably next year at the latest. But as soon as we knew this was an ally color set that basically killed ended enemy fetches.

I don't think we're getting enemy fetches but I don't think this being an ally-colored set really requires that. Khans was more enemy than ally and that's where we got the ally fetches.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
If they wanted a common dragon, they could just print Dragon Whelp with p/t, cost, and the firebreathing cap reduced by 1. :v:

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Goblin's Acendancy 'cause Obelisk of Urd triggers it.

Turn 2 fodder, turn 3 outburst, turn 4 ascendancy + obelisk, attack for 20. Suck my dick

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

This card seems quite good in mono-R.You could do much worse than top-decking this when trying to eek out that last bit of damage in the mid-game.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Well that's a card right there.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

She even has the pink hair.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
SCG preselling Narset for $45. I only need one for my cube, but not at that price. That seems absurdly high.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
That is not a bad one-drop to topdeck, wow

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It is weird to see people complaining red gets nothing good re: Narset when she is going to be bananas with burn spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Xir posted:

SCG preselling Narset for $45. I only need one for my cube, but not at that price. That seems absurdly high.

An hour ago you could have preordered her for $40! :V

• Locked thread