Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Elotana posted:

Yes. The entire thing is a combination of [citation needed] and homer bullshit.

Never liked that guy anyway :rolleye:

Homer bullshit? An accusation lobbed by an Aggie fan? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Did LSU ever pay A&M for backing out of their series with 2 games left in the 90s? Speaking of LSU backing out of series, I wonder when they are going to finally play their last game with Tulane in NOLA. The date for that game has been TBA for years. It'd be cool if it was at Tulane's stadium but would make a lot more sense to be at the Super Dome.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Spacebump posted:

Did LSU ever pay A&M for backing out of their series with 2 games left in the 90s? Speaking of LSU backing out of series, I wonder when they are going to finally play their last game with Tulane in NOLA. The date for that game has been TBA for years. It'd be cool if it was at Tulane's stadium but would make a lot more sense to be at the Super Dome.

They did indeed pay A&M an agreed-upon sum: $100,000.

quote:

LSU cancelled the series with two games remaining after the 1995 game in College Station.

That move sparked some friction between the schools, which contributed to them not renewing the series. With the SEC going to a divisional format and eight conference games in 1992, then-LSU Athletic Director Joe Dean said he couldn't afford to give up one of three non-conference home games every year.

"You've almost got to have seven home games to pay the bills," Dean said. "That's all it was. Some of the A&M people felt because we were losing to them we didn't want to play anymore.

"It was peaceful, friendly. It wasn't ugly. I thought we'd wait a few years and reschedule them when we could manipulate the home-and-home series with the SEC."

Crow had a different point of view.

"I said, 'Get out of another (game)' because this game means too much for us,'" Crow said. "We would sell the stadium out for LSU. Them and Texas were only ones we did that."

LSU eventually refused to play the final two games and the schools settled the matter for $100,000. Attempts by LSU to renew the series have been rebuffed, insiders say, because of lingering hard feelings over breaking the contract.

LINK

As for Tulane, I could see that game happening in the next few years, actually. But again, it's not a big money-maker for LSU, so I'm not certain.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Yes, as a cynical Aggie fan I have a god drat PhD in Homer Bullshit.

And as a lawyer, all of this is so much hot air absent any evidence that the NCAA's definition of employment and the Louisiana judicial definition of employment (or any definition specified in Chavis' contract) are identical. The NCAA is not an extension of the legal system and the two positions don't necessarily conflict.

I'm not privy to the details so I don't know, but that hasn't stopped the Louisiana media from confidently asserting checkmate.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Elotana posted:

Yes, as a cynical Aggie fan I have a god drat PhD in Homer Bullshit.

And as a lawyer, all of this is so much hot air absent any evidence that the NCAA's definition of employment and the Louisiana judicial definition of employment (or any definition specified in Chavis' contract) are identical. The NCAA is not an extension of the legal system and the two positions don't necessarily conflict.

I'm not privy to the details so I don't know, but that hasn't stopped the Louisiana media from confidently asserting checkmate.

From a (Louisiana) attorney that I know:

quote:

Chavis' problem is his time line vis-a-vis whether he was in breach of his LSU contract -- and if he was deemed to be recruiting for A&M while that contract was in place, then a.) he owes the buy-out, and b.) A&M has potential problems with the powers that be since it hadn't officially recognized him as a recruiter.

Chavis claims he informed LSU he was leaving on Jan. 4th, meaning that his 30 day notice period expired on Feb. 4th -- after which he would have been free to do anything he wanted for A&M after that date. Chavis further claims that he didn't start working for A&M until Feb. 13th.

The 30 day notice period means you're still employed by LSU -- but that you're giving 30 days notice.

What the recruting pic undeniably shows is that on Jan. 15th, Chavis was actively recruiting for A&M. Clearly, Jan. 15th is well within the 30 day notice period which began Jan. 4th.

This means he's in violation of his contract with LSU. Which in turn means that he owes the buy-out.

And which in turns means that A&M could be in some luke warm water if it was actively engaged in Chavis breaching his employment contract with LSU. There is a tort out there called "intentional interference with contractual relations."

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

And which in turns means that A&M could be in some luke warm water if it was actively engaged in Chavis breaching his employment contract with LSU. There is a tort out there called "intentional interference with contractual relations."
Good Lord you are literally reposting from TD

Look I found a picture of this attorney's car

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Let me tell you what my lawyer friend (GigEmLaw06WHOOP on Texags) thinks about this lawsuit: [link to goatse]

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

pillsburysoldier posted:

Clint Trickett, former FSU, WVU QB, is now QB coach at East Miss. C.C. Good for him, sad that injuries shortened his career like it did.

I'll always remember him for coming in for a hurt EJ against Oklahoma. It looked like that scene from The Waterboy where Michigan's towel boy made an appearance.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Elotana posted:

Good Lord you are literally reposting from TD

Look I found a picture of this attorney's car

Congrats, a lawyer can use Google! I know the person who posted that; like I know his name & his wife & the fact that he has 2 dogs. Wild speculation, I know, that internet forums posters would EVER know each other.

:lol:

Good picking apart his analysis, btw, counselor.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

If only the Aggies played defense as hard as its fanbase does on the internet they'd have won the east.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Fluffdaddy posted:

If only the Aggies played defense as hard as its fanbase does on the internet they'd have won the east.

I agree that the best way to beat all SEC East teams is to not be an SEC East team

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

quote:

Good picking apart his analysis, btw, counselor.
Bringing up TORTITO INTERFERENCE is like a neon sign for Homer Bullshit. Baylor homers who dimly remembered the Restatement were saying the same thing during realignment.

Show me a single successful lawsuit between schools over a coaching change on those grounds. I'll hang up and listen.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Thing is, the dude says he's an (Aggie) attorney. What's the harm in engaging in trying to surmise the issues at hand & what might come of them? Just freakin' say SOMETHING, y'know?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Elotana posted:

Bringing up TORTITO INTERFERENCE is like a neon sign for Homer Bullshit. Baylor homers who dimly remembered the Restatement were saying the same thing during realignment.

Show me a single successful lawsuit between schools over a coaching change on those grounds. I'll hang up and listen.

Who's running away from what's known about his particular case now? You are hand-waving away tortous(sic) interference because in your estimation, it's never been successful. But you keep ignoring what is known about the timeline, the contract, & the lawsuits.

Any minute now, I expect to hear "You're just butt-hurt we stole Chavis" in true Aggie fashion, despite the fact that we haven't even discussed the potential recruiting violation.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Raku posted:

I agree that the best way to beat all SEC East teams is to not be an SEC East team

I keep forgetting they are in the west. Please bury me in a bonfire.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

C2C - 2.0 posted:

You are hand-waving away tortous(sic) interference

It's spelled "tortoise"

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What's the harm in engaging in trying to surmise the issues at hand & what might come of them? Just freakin' say SOMETHING, y'know?
There's no harm but it's pointless. Contract law is incredibly fact-specific, it's not like Joe Blow can just speculate. If you gave me an actual copy of the contract, a copy of all the letters and emails among LSU, A&M, and Chavis from December-February, and several hours' worth of Westlaw (because Louisiana is its own animal) I might could give you an opinion. Short of that any speculation on the consequences to the buyout clause or the NCAA would just be hunches and homerism. If I were rolling in here saying "Chavis will pay nothing" then that would be homer bullshit.

Tortious interference between LSU and A&M directly is definitely not happening though. That's not a homer call because there have been far more shady coaching hires that didn't result in a lawsuit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elotana posted:

Tortious interference between LSU and A&M directly is definitely not happening though. That's not a homer call because there have been far more shady coaching hires that didn't result in a lawsuit.

Actually, there are lawsuits over buyouts pretty regularly. They usually get to a negotiated settlement before a verdict is reached, however. West Virginia went after Rich Rodriguez pretty hard when he jumped to Michigan, for example.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Actually, there are lawsuits over buyouts pretty regularly. They usually get to a negotiated settlement before a verdict is reached, however. West Virginia went after Rich Rodriguez pretty hard when he jumped to Michigan, for example.
Going after the coach is different from going after the school that hired him. The latter is a lot tougher. It may very well be the case that Chavis (or A&M) ends up paying the buyout. (My hunch is that if they are liable, A&M would look at what the NCAA penalties would be and then pick whichever horn of the buyout/sanctions dilemma gores less.) But damages for tortious interference is another thing.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 4, 2015

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
As a lawyer in Knoxville I would drive a checkerboard sports car in a heartbeat.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Elotana posted:

Going after the coach is different from going after the school that hired him. The latter is a lot tougher. It may very well be the case that Chavis (or A&M) ends up paying the buyout. (My hunch is that if they are liable, A&M would look at what the NCAA penalties would be and then pick whichever horn of the buyout/sanctions dilemma gores less.) But damages for tortious interference is another thing.

Again, hearsay, but a lot of people connected with LSU claim that A&M & LSU were working out details whereby A&M would pay the buyout. Chavis' attorney took, at least LSU representatives, by surprise by suing LSU (and A&M, which sure...it's strategic) in Texas.

EDIT: Also I heard last night that A&M has an $11B endowment. Holy poo poo-balls!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Again, hearsay, but a lot of people connected with LSU claim that A&M & LSU were working out details whereby A&M would pay the buyout. Chavis' attorney took, at least LSU representatives, by surprise by suing LSU (and A&M, which sure...it's strategic) in Texas.

EDIT: Also I heard last night that A&M has an $11B endowment. Holy poo poo-balls!

2nd highest public university. I'll let you guess which is the highest. Or read this wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

The PUF is a bitch.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

kayakyakr posted:

2nd highest public university. I'll let you guess which is the highest. Or read this wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

The PUF is a bitch.

It's for the entire system, so its split among all of the tiny A&M's,. just like Texas' is.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Is there anyone that posts in this thread that isn't a lawyer or a soon to be unemployed law student looking down the business end of a gunbarrel

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's for the entire system, so its split among all of the tiny A&M's,. just like Texas' is.

And most of the listed endowments for the Texas public schools, yes.

Hell, most of the endowments for the national public schools are listed as system-wide.

UT and A&M proper get the largest sums of the proceeds of those endowments, though.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Raku posted:

Is there anyone that posts in this thread that isn't a lawyer or a soon to be unemployed law student looking down the business end of a gunbarrel

Web developer in Austin. I feel like a pretty girl with all the game recruiters spit at me on linked in.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raku posted:

Journalist who does sports poo poo on the side and is an administrative communications assistant by day

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Financial Planner

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
I work with computer programs that are older than most of the posters here, including me!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

Gobbled up & spit out by the oil/gas industry after 15 years, I am now unemployed & looking to make inroads at any local bookstore or coffee shop as I'm tired of chasing money.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Texas is doing the most Texas thing ever and tying season and bowl game ticket priority to fans who give Texas money:

quote:

The University of Texas athletic department is establishing a loyalty points program that will be used to determine priority seating, parking and who gets first dibs on Texas-Oklahoma tickets and other events.

The department is calling it “Loyalty Points.” Every donor who has contributed to the Longhorn Foundation since 1986 will get credit for previous gifts in this new ranking system.

The new system rewards those who gave in football coach Charlie Strong’s first season. Donors will receive five points for every $100 contribution since Sept. 1, 2014. Donors can also get two points for $100 in seat-related contributions during that time.

The department will award three points for every $100 in donations from 1986 to 2014, and one point for $100 in ticketed sports since 1987. Also, every UT letter winner will receive 150 points automatically as a one-time bonus.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TFF update your Ohio State and Penn State jokes accordingly as Virginia Tech steps up as the newest face of college football pedophilia:

quote:

Virginia Tech running back Shai McKenzie has been suspended indefinitely after being charged with two counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, the Roanoke Times reported Wednesday.

The charges are both Class 1 misdemeanors. Per the Times, the 18-year-old McKenzie was one of two subjects of an investigation into an alleged incident involving two girls, one 15 years old and the other 14. According to police, the girls alleged to officers that they interacted with two men -- identified as McKenzie and fellow Virginia Tech student Davin Gavion -- over social media, then met with the men in a Christiansburg, Va. residence and engaged in sexual intercourse.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Texas is doing the most Texas thing ever and tying season and bowl game ticket priority to fans who give Texas money:

I guess we were warned the new AD would operate this way.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neil Armbong posted:

I guess we were warned the new AD would operate this way.

I hope you enjoy your Dave Brandon as much as Michigan did theirs.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I thought that's how most season ticket programs worked? At UGA, it's the Hartman Fund and you get 1 point for every 1 dollar you donate. As you get more points, you are eligible for better season tickets as they open up, parking passes, priority away tickets, etc.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

vikingstrike posted:

I thought that's how most season ticket programs worked? At UGA, it's the Hartman Fund and you get 1 point for every 1 dollar you donate. As you get more points, you are eligible for better season tickets as they open up, parking passes, priority away tickets, etc.

There were always donations tied to season tickets and where you could get the tickets, but who knows. Maybe this is to let some younger people get better tickets from older alumni or something?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Neil Armbong posted:

There were always donations tied to season tickets and where you could get the tickets, but who knows. Maybe this is to let some younger people get better tickets from older alumni or something?

I guess it will depend on the implementation. UGA did a Young Alumni program a couple of years ago, where you could become eligible for tickets at a lower donation level if you went to school there. I could also be completely be misreading what that quote above means.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, Tech's done it this way for ages. Though that reminds me, I need to call the ticket office tomorrow.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

vikingstrike posted:

I think Ole Miss still does it by how many slaves you own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Raku posted:

I think Ole Miss still does it by how many slaves you own

Each only counts as 3/5 of a point though.

• Locked thread