Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just don't get the shade of green the Wild use. They always look filthy and when they get wet it leaves a huge dark patch that makes it look like the wearer pissed himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Man that thing is glorious.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

Just don't get the shade of green the Wild use. They always look filthy and when they get wet it leaves a huge dark patch that makes it look like the wearer pissed himself.

Heh. My team has to get a set of dark jerseys for next season, and based on our colors, the team has voted on Wild 3rds for our jerseys.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ducked out of work to go to shinny this morning and there was only one other guy there and he left! Nice change to practice some tricky moves without the fear of falling, and I ended up doing some pretty decent backwards crossovers, front to back transitions, and bad side stops. Also figured out why I was having trouble (and sometimes still am having trouble) lifting the puck and it stems from bad ball hockey habits. Trying to dig and push up rather than cup and then snap. I was able to roof it from in close a few times, next step is getting some power on it from further back.

Whoever said focus on sitting your butt down for backwards skating and crossovers couldn't have been more right as well, so thanks for that!

I was hoping to get some game time in but it was also really nice to be able to work on stuff with tons of room, full gear, and nobody watching.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockles posted:

Heh. My team has to get a set of dark jerseys for next season, and based on our colors, the team has voted on Wild 3rds for our jerseys.

The jerseys are fine, the Wild thirds look great. It's just the pants that look like they were made out of old drapes.

Rangers have the same issue, not sure if it's the material or the color or what.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Hockles posted:

Long live the Wild 3rd jerseys. This our old jersey and I loved it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This powered us to a playoff win on Sunday night:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Duke Chin posted:

Hey wasn't there a guy in here a couple weeks back looking for green gear? Cause boy oh boy is st paddy's day your time o' year: http://www.icewarehouse.com/catpage.html?ccode=STPADDY :barf:

That was me, and I just bought some of that green tape! Thanks! I'd already picked up an ultra clearance helmet (turns out it was a 2008 model Easton S17) in green, and haven't decided whether I want to go green gloves yet. Pants have certainly gotta stay black, or I'll look like the Jolly Green Giant.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Green gloves own (I have the Vapor x50s I think). They look like Hulk hands and are great gloves.

Seriously debating a green helmet, but I hate buying them without trying them on.

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
Have my first "game" tonight. Our LTP league is 18 sessions, the last 6 of which are all intersquad scrimmages. Teams were divided up and we're supposed to actually have a ref and a score clock running so I'm pretty pumped to have a real game type session. Also using my friends stick since my wooden stick blade cracked pretty badly at the heel and is like using a piece of wet cardboard for a blade. We'll see if it's any different. Definitely felt better doing some shots and stick handling in the basement.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hockles posted:

The mark of a good jersey is how good it looks when it's blank and that being said I freaking love the Wild 3rds :swoon: (and blank B's winter classics cause it looks like cheese.)

Speaking of :swoon::

Zip! posted:

I have this beautiful thing from them which cost me about £25 ($50) and is a really nice quality jersey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Seriously debating a green helmet, but I hate buying them without trying them on.

Consequently I love it when you buy helmets without trying them on!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

Consequently I love it when you buy helmets without trying them on!

Tangentially I'm pretty sure there isn't a hockey helmet in existence that doesn't look re-goddamn-diculous on my head.

Maybe I should just cludge a cage on to an ultra old school Jofa and just roll with being "that guy".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Schedule for this season came out, I can't figure it out.

How can you play hockey before 10pm? This is strange alien territory.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

4:30 PM on a saturday? What do they think that you guys are just sitting around without a life waiting to play hockey?

I didn't realize any non-NHL hockey was ever played before 10pm, unless its kids practicing at 5am.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Most of my games in my new league have been at 7:30 or 9:00, it's pretty awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Honey Badgers, huh? That's the name of my Bronze team.

No Phat Pucks or Iceholes? Disappointing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No Phat Pucks or Iceholes? Disappointing.

Don't worry, there's plenty of dick jokes in the other divisions.

The Screamin Seamen
Puckin A
Ice Kawks

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's gotta be a Black Kawks somewhere...

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Thufir posted:

Most of my games in my new league have been at 7:30 or 9:00, it's pretty awesome.

Yeah same, there is the occasional 11pm game but it's usually between those hours.

I don't think I would play if all my games were >10pm....28 and already feeling like and old man

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There's gotta be a Black Kawks somewhere...
If there wasn't by now, Modern Family guaranteed they start showing up for next season.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A roller team in my league a few years ago had a great one. Subtle but nice.

Big Black Hawks.

Modern Family even got in on it. http://sportsmockery.com/2015/02/blackhawks-modern-family/

*edit ... yeah its been done way before modern family*

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 4, 2015

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
Does the Dayman team have Paddy's Pub jerseys or do the Its Always Sunny references stop there

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

xzzy posted:

What does "C Only" stand for?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

dyn posted:

Yeah same, there is the occasional 11pm game but it's usually between those hours.

I don't think I would play if all my games were >10pm....28 and already feeling like and old man

I'd still play but...oof. Not only because staying up late is tough to mesh with an adult schedule, I also have so much more energy and play better at earlier times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

What does "C Only" stand for?

A couple teams run in multiple divisions so they can play more games. The organizer just adds that so teams know which type of game is scheduled (and by extension, what skill levels of players are eligible).

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

communist kangaroo posted:

Does the Dayman team have Paddy's Pub jerseys or do the Its Always Sunny references stop there

I was looking to see if there was a rival team just called The Nightman but there isn't. Sat. 4:30pm Dayman Fighter of the Nightman VS The Nightman

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Verman posted:

A roller team in my league a few years ago had a great one. Subtle but nice.

Big Black Hawks.

Modern Family even got in on it. http://sportsmockery.com/2015/02/blackhawks-modern-family/

*edit ... yeah its been done way before modern family*

Since like 2006, my xbox has had two guest accounts. One is Blackhawk, the other is Black Cock. It's the perfect sort of confusion when people angrily shout out names during splitscreen Halo or whatever

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

my game was as 12:20pm on Sunday and 2 weeks it'll be at 1:45pm.

Sunday afternoon games own.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Dibs on Team Kitten Mittens :3:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They wear green, but the similarities end there.

They did up a custom crest, one of those teams that spend ridiculous amounts of money on their jersey. Don't watch the show though so I couldn't say if the crest comes from anything.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I broke my MLX skates recently. I called Easton to see if the mako components would fit and no one would give me a straight answer.

Now my skates are made partially of gorilla glue.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Apparently one of the teams at this year's Pabst tourney was called "Lowe Standards."

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
So, my reebok 11k sickick is on it's way out. I love this stick and am considering hunting down another one. I'm having a tough time finding one with the Duchene curve (right handed). Any ideas or a similar stick/curve if I were to go with something new?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Someone a couple pages back was asking for more beer league clips. I finally got around to editing and uploading the 2 games from my Silver team.
Last game of regular season. 2-1 loss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6EZ1h5yriQ

First round of playoffs. 6-2 win:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-a_n_adnw

And we had to go to Toronto on one of the plays:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6YS0noyg4c

I'm having too much fun with Adobe Premiere.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

prom candy posted:

Whoever said focus on sitting your butt down for backwards skating and crossovers couldn't have been more right as well, so thanks for that!

Getting a decent, low stance is good for just about every aspect of hockey. Balance, lateral movement, weight transfer, cross-overs, etc.

Since you mentioned liking to over-analyze things, have you ever considered a forward stride and how it's similar to a one-legged squat? This is a very different movement from walking or even running where we tend to stay more upright and almost 'fall' from one foot to another. Of course, there are major differences in that instead of lifting a weight vertically with your weight balanced between both feet, you are moving your body horizontally but consider this:

Look at the angle made between the skater's forward leg and core. It nearly matches that of the weightlifter. If that angle is very 'open', it's difficult to generate any real power. A low stance is key. Also notice that this skater's weight is almost entirely over the front foot. The leg is 'loaded' with his weight and ready to push for the next stroke. Push hard on the compressed leg, moving your core, (and bodyweight) forward. Fully extend the back leg with each stroke while loading the front leg to get everything out of the movement. If the legs are never really compressed, they can never really extend, can they?

Repeat the 'compress-explode-extend' cycle until you can outskate your opponents.

There are numerous benefits to getting a low stance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's also a good illustration of why hockey players do so many split squats and lunges. You get those glutes and quads stronger, it's gonna be easier to keep your rear end low for longer periods.

Bulgarian split squats are very good because it also extends the hip flexor, which is good for injury prevention.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
:)
which also explains hockey rear end

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Played on an Iceholes team in a F league (bottom tier) was good times. Recently our names have been Teach me how to Dougie D'annanannaable and Matt Can't Make a Savin which I thought were pretty solid names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just went to a public skate where everyone was skating clockwise. That's the most left-over-right crossover practice I've ever had.