Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead, last seen directing the Bonestorm part of VHS: Viral, has a new movie on the way. Drafthouse describes Spring as "HP Lovecraft meets Richard Linklater". The trailer was out just in time for Valumtimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zpThOBiPxM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The advertising for Chappie has really been all over the place. They keep wildly swinging between tones.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The MSJ posted:

Justin Benson and Aaron Moorehead, last seen directing the Bonestorm part of VHS: Viral, has a new movie on the way. Drafthouse describes Spring as "HP Lovecraft meets Richard Linklater". The trailer was out just in time for Valumtimes.

I get the feeling that this movie will be a boring romance drama for the first two acts, with the "horror" of the third act that will be too late to really make up for the first two. Nothing really stands out as being particularly intriguing. All it really does is make me want to rewatch Let The Right One In.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

The advertising for Chappie has really been all over the place. They keep wildly swinging between tones.

The trailers grossly exaggerate the plot and really do not accurately portray the tone of the film. I'm not sure what the gently caress Sony is thinking. Maybe "put joe public butts in seats by making it look like a generic save the world action film", but that's a pretty stupid marketing plan for a niche sci-fi film, imho.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dillbag posted:

The trailers grossly exaggerate the plot and really do not accurately portray the tone of the film. I'm not sure what the gently caress Sony is thinking. Maybe "put joe public butts in seats by making it look like a generic save the world action film", but that's a pretty stupid marketing plan for a niche sci-fi film, imho.

I remember reading a marketing blurb (I swear it was on imdb) before the first trailer came out and it described it as a a sort of comedy romp whereas two bumbling crooks get ahold of an AI robot for their nefarious deeds and then things go awry. And then the first trailer came out and I didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The MSJ posted:

Looks pretty good, I'm intrigued. You should post it in the horror thread.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BonoMan posted:

I remember reading a marketing blurb (I swear it was on imdb) before the first trailer came out and it described it as a a sort of comedy romp whereas two bumbling crooks get ahold of an AI robot for their nefarious deeds and then things go awry. And then the first trailer came out and I didn't know what the gently caress was going on.

So basically Robocop 3. When do we get the jetpack and rawkit lawncha?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I get the feeling that this movie will be a boring romance drama for the first two acts, with the "horror" of the third act that will be too late to really make up for the first two. Nothing really stands out as being particularly intriguing. All it really does is make me want to rewatch Let The Right One In.

These are the guys that made Resolution, based on that I'm willing to give this a chance.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's a shame that the second trailer for Child 44 isn't available online yet, because it features a game of "spot the actor who is NOT doing an Russian accent". Granted, he may only be in the movie for a minute or so.

It's Charles Dance.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I've seen Spring and this is not what happens at all.

(mild spoilers) It definitely withholds the horror aspect for a bit, but not all the way to the end.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAUoeqvedMo

Im excited

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Seems like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch won't have an overly huge role in the movie unless they're holding back on showing them off too much.
Still. I'm pretty hyped.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks about the same as the previous trailers except we have confirmation that they once again fight a bunch of drones in between fighting each other.

Riveting.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Deakul posted:

Seems like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch won't have an overly huge role in the movie unless they're holding back on showing them off too much.
Still. I'm pretty hyped.

They always hold back on stuff in their trailers, but this one's still got me hyped.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

At least I finally know what the gently caress Ultron is.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looks about the same as the previous trailers except we have confirmation that they once again fight a bunch of drones in between fighting each other.

Riveting.

That is my issue. Robot mooks are boring. I get why they do it, no blood, no death, no R rating. But watching hordes of robots or ash monsters (or whatever the mooks were in Thor 2) is just boring. Give me fewer enemies, but better quality ones; I'd take the Masters of Evil over generic robot horde any day.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Why are the black bars jumping around all over the place? I assumed it was a cam, but that's the official channel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

morestuff posted:

Why are the black bars jumping around all over the place? I assumed it was a cam, but that's the official channel.

Oh yeah wtf.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Wait what? I totally assumed this was someone trying to shake the third party content filter.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's totally youtube's shaky-cam correcting. Somebody mistakingly applied it to the official trailer.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

Weird, I didn't notice it the first time, but now it's so jarring.

It's like the trailer went through one of those gif stabilizers.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

That's totally youtube's shaky-cam correcting. Somebody mistakingly applied it to the official trailer.

So it's exactly like those stabilizers!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Random, but is there a better/industry term for "the black bars"? It feels like there's a word I'm missing. Letterboxing?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

Thank you for identifying something that's been driving me crazy. I watched a video recently that had this applied and was wondering if this was something with how the guy uploaded it. It's like something default in the upload process.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

morestuff posted:

Random, but is there a better/industry term for "the black bars"? It feels like there's a word I'm missing. Letterboxing?

Yep, letterboxing refers to the bars on the top and bottom of frame and pillarboxing refers to bars on the sides of the frame.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Marvel UK's trailer is not hosed up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVEC1YGLK4

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

"matting". When you see those black bars it has been matted. Without the matting you'd see boom mikes and such.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7CLREPffIE

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I don't think this one has been posted - Kumiko the Treasure Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8htA6LR6u-Y

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

kiimo posted:

"matting". When you see those black bars it has been matted. Without the matting you'd see boom mikes and such.

Isn't that more when you are making a widescreen frame out of a full frame ratio? Letterboxing is when you use black bars to show the full widescreen frame on a smaller screen. Maybe it depends but I don't think there's any additional part of the frame on top and bottom of a widescreen image which they cut out, that is the entire frame that has been filmed. You generally don't see boom mikes and such because they just keep them out of the frame when they are filming.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well when I watch dailies I see unmatted views and I see boom mikes and stuff. Then they matte the feature and all that is gone. I mean, I know letter boxing has those but I think we're talking about different things.

I'm not a filmmaker so if people start talking about aspect ratios I'm going to be out of my depth just a heads up haha.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wandle Cax posted:

Isn't that more when you are making a widescreen frame out of a full frame ratio? Letterboxing is when you use black bars to show the full widescreen frame on a smaller screen. Maybe it depends but I don't think there's any additional part of the frame on top and bottom of a widescreen image which they cut out, that is the entire frame that has been filmed. You generally don't see boom mikes and such because they just keep them out of the frame when they are filming.

He's right that it's called matting, and he's also right that you can use it to remove objects on the very edge of the frame, however your also right that you keep those out as much as possible.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Footage shot with anamorphic lenses is 2.35 (wider horizontally than 16:9) unmatted, i.e. you're seeing the entirety of the frame and there's nothing beyond the black bars you would see if you were watching it on a 16:9 screen. The lens distorts the picture so everyone looks skinny (squeezed) in a standard film frame, then you project it with a special lens that squishes everything back to "normal". Shooting anamorphic allows you to pack more detail into the frame, making for a better looking picture.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dillbag posted:

Footage shot with anamorphic lenses is 2.35 (wider horizontally than 16:9) unmatted, i.e. you're seeing the entirety of the frame and there's nothing beyond the black bars you would see if you were watching it on a 16:9 screen. The lens distorts the picture so everyone looks skinny (squeezed) in a standard film frame, then you project it with a special lens that squishes everything back to "normal". Shooting anamorphic allows you to pack more detail into the frame, making for a better looking picture.

Is anamorphic shooting also what causes things to sort of change shape during a focus shift? I've noticed that sometimes it seems like objects widen a little when the focus shifts in a movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Yeah, and I think that's still the normal practice for anything that's going to be 2.35:1. (Although so much is shot on digital video now that I'm not sure how that interacts with lenses and such.)

For smaller aspect ratios you are (on film at least) starting with a 4:3 35mm frame, and cutting off parts of the image, either in camera or after the fact.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Been seeing a lot of commercials for that new Sean Penn action/thriller The Gunman and for some reason somebody decided that the perfect music to complement it is Kid Rock's "American Badass."

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Been seeing a lot of commercials for that new Sean Penn action/thriller The Gunman and for some reason somebody decided that the perfect music to complement it is Kid Rock's "American Badass."
They are buddies.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Those shirts may look like they came from the thrift store but they're probably like 400 bucks at some trendy Beverly Center store.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
You can not imagine how badly I want Kid Rock's American Badass to be the new Inception horns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

New Tomorrowland trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjBLszpEk0o

looks terrific

• Locked thread