Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

JawnV6 posted:

I need that article on lovely laggy iot lights, anyone know the one I mean

http://fusion.net/story/55026/this-guys-light-bulb-ddosed-his-entire-smart-house/ ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm the digipen guy with a fedora for his profile pic telling the author to call it a ddos even though it wasn't distributed, because otherwise everybody will think the light bulb was ms-dosing the house.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
no, had a bunch of animated gifs of tapping his phone then waiting around for the message to get to his light bulb

e: this one http://gizmodo.com/why-is-my-smart-home-so-loving-dumb-1684949715

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 4, 2015

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I can't wait until it's possible to brick actual bricks

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Russians just used a pencil!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

let the free market destroy the country? the Russians just used economic shock therapy!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JawnV6 posted:

no, had a bunch of animated gifs of tapping his phone then waiting around for the message to get to his light bulb

e: this one http://gizmodo.com/why-is-my-smart-home-so-loving-dumb-1684949715

lol

why would anyone want a smart home, i have literally never heard anyone have anything positive to say about them after setting them up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i've been keeping an eye on an uberforums poster for a couple of weeks. he's a new uber driver that had a ton of hope and belief in uber and the money he'd make and the nice people he'd drive

his progression as an uber driver is pretty entertaining

early february posted:

I'm new here and have not started driving yet. I'm still thinking about it. If one were to judge from the comments here, nobody is happy or making decent money. Are there happy drivers? If there are, I get the feeling they are out driving and not trolling a forum looking for a place to gripe. Is it really that bad?

quote:

For the same reason people don't use pawn shops as their sole income. Eventually you run out of assets to liquidate.

For someone who has lost their job, or bought too much car, Uber is actually a decent option for these situations even at the current rates. It's better to turn some of your car's equity into cash to keep food on the table and utilities paid. But it's only a temporary solution. One can't live like this unless they have so many assets they can just live off them by liquidating them infinitely.

The rates need to go up for this to become an income and not just asset liquidation. This is not opinion. It's math.
I hear you. I will take a good look at the math. I just wonder if it could work if someone bought late model used cars for this purpose and to use it solely for business. The rates will ebb and flow with supply and demand. The economy is heating back up, and many people are re-entering the job market.

quote:

WRONG ! Uber will go as low as drivers will drive and eventually get people to stop using public transportation (bus, rails , etc.) and get stupid rich in the process, more rides and $1 off the top of every ride adds up, on a minimum $4 ride Uber's cut is 40%, my 1099 gross and what I got prior to expenses was 31% Uber 69% Shineboy

This is impossible. There is a floor. If drivers cannot afford to drive, they will drop out, and rates must go back up. Supply and demand will seek a balance.

quote:

Why dont you drive and be happy instead of trolling unhappy drivers forum?

My background check hasn't finished. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I start. I'm learning that the people with sour attitudes probably get lower ratings for a reason.

quote:

you should stop posting and go drive for a month then report back. Remember to screenshot that $10k pay stub.

I'll see how well I can do with a cheerful disposition and ingenuity and report back. As a social worker, I have experience working with colleagues who are generally sour and contemptuous of their clients. I have wondered why they got into the work in the first place and why they stick with it.

1 week in posted:

Yes, it's maddening when you do extra nice things for riders and still no tip. This morning I picked a guy up at 4:45 a.m. to take him to the airport. I pulled in front of his house, and when I saw him step out of his front door with three large cases, I walked up the hill of his front yard to help him haul those cases down to my car. Turns out he is a contractor for a video company. I helped him get all of that situated into my car, drove him all the way to the airport, and then helped him get the cases out onto the sidewalk, even pulling up the handles on his rolling luggage for him.

No tip. Nothing. But I feel if I had just sat in my car, he might have dinged my car with his cases and then dinged me on the rating for not helping him.

Maybe I'll go back and leave a nasty note on his door.

quote:

I had a guy in the ghetto rated at 2.3. I cancelled right away.

Oh, hell yes.
Every time a pax tells me my car smells nice or that it smells new or asks me how long I've had it, I say that I keep it clean and that I'm very careful about who I allow into it. That leads to a conversation about ratings and how they are a two-way street. Then I show them their rating.
I'm not even going to bother with any pax below 4.8 anymore. I just accepted a 4.7, and she was a complete bitch. As soon as I accepted the ping, she sent a text saying "Call me when you get here." I replied, "No. You should watch the app and be ready when your car arrives. I'm canceling. You should call another car."

week 2 posted:

If we really are partners, why didn't Uber split the rate cut with the drivers? Why make the drivers take 100% of the haircut?

I understand they are trying to driver up rider count in advance of an IPO, but c'mon.
Or maybe a pillow and for us to tuck them in. Really, what do they want? Maybe we should follow them inside and wipe their asses for them. I'm going to stop giving out 5-star ratings to pax like candy. I really wish I could track down each and every one of my pax to ask them what rating they gave me. This system seriously needs more transparency. It is a complete mystery. My car is pristine, practically new. I'm a careful driver. Exceedingly polite. Water, charging cable. And yet at least one or two assholes still rates me less than a perfect 5. If an experience in my car is not a 5, I don't know what the gently caress is. I can't control the weather. Maybe it was cloudy and they wanted sunshine. Who knows? Maybe the road was too bumpy. Or there were too many cars on the road.

I'm just doing this long enough to raise my moving fund. What a bunch of entitled people some of these pax are.

The only payback I can think of is not to pick up pax with less than 4.8. Let them stew on that.
When Uber call center asks me why, I'll say I am giving the pax something to work up to. No way is anybody a perfect five.

week 3 posted:

Some of you tried to tell me this. I believe it now. This rear end in a top hat got in my lovely little car and opened up a stinky bag of goddamn Funyons! I asked him not to eat in my car, please, and then he opened up a big rear end bottle of red fruity drink! I asked him to get out. This is my car. I love it. It's not a greasy yellow cab.
I pulled up to pick up Toyshebia today and waited four minutes for her to come out. Just as I was about to cancel as no-show, her rear end came walking toward my lovely little car carrying and munching her big face on a plate of greasy French fries. It felt pretty awesome to pull away from her as she yelled WAIT while trying to juggle that plate of fries! Texted her no food.

What the hell are some of these people thinking?

Then I went to pick up Varquisha. She texted to meet her in the parking lot. Waited four minutes. Then she texted Be down shortly. Cancelled as no-show. I'm starting to see a pattern here with certain names that seem to be made up to sound unique.

Oh, Atlanta.
Today a got a couple of pings from pax with low ratings. I had to see what they were all about, so I accepted the pings and scurried my dutiful rear end to the pin. And waited. And waited.

Left my doors locked. Smart.

Pax finally came out and tried to get into my car. I rolled the window down, verified his identity, and asked if he realized he had a low rider rating. "Um, no."

Me: "Yes, and your making us wait is a possible reason why."
Pax: "Are you going to take me or not?"
Me: "No. And good luck getting a car. Goodbye."

gently caress 'em. We gotta teach 'em.

quote:

Hi,

It looks like you’re canceling over 15% of the trips that you accept. Please log off when you are not in a position to complete trips. Canceling trips causes negative user experiences, makes our system less reliable, and can result in account deactivation.

Thanks for understanding,

Your Uber ATL Operations Team
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the email, but that's not usually why I cancel. Sometimes a ping comes in and tells me a pick-up is a certain number of minutes away, but once I accept the trip, that number increases. I'm not going to drive out of my way for an unprofitable fare. Something is wrong with the app in that regard.

I also cancel if I get a call or text from the rider and it is in any way negative. If the vibe is negative, I'll cancel because it leads to a less than 5-star rating. I want to drive for nice people, not for bossy, condescending people.

If I arrive and see the rider putting out a cigarette and standing there in a big cloud of nasty cigarette smoke, I will cancel. I don't want that stench brought into my car. I love my car.

If I arrive, as I did yesterday, and there are more people than will fit in my car, I will cancel.

If I arrive and the people are carrying takeout boxes or standing there juggling a plate of greasy french fries, I will cancel. I don't want that in my car. Plus, asking them not to eat before letting them in my car will lead to a lower rating. I don't want the lower rating.

If I arrive at a location when traffic is busy, I'll wait as long as I can without getting honked at or waved away by parking police, but sometimes it is not practical to wait too long. In those cases, I cancel. Uber must do a better job of teaching riders to be ready when the car arrives. Waiting costs money. If they want traditional taxi service, that's what they should call. Uber is different and better. They shouldn't summon a car until they are ready to hop in it. They can literally watch me arrive on the map on their phones, leaving no excuse at all not to be ready.

If I'm travelling in one direction, accept a ping, and quickly get directed to go in the opposite direction, especially when traffic is heavy or u-turns are impractical or dangerous, I'll cancel. Again, the app could be smarter about that. That could be a preference that I set.

I would love to be part of making your app and the whole experience better and more transparent for drivers and riders. I provide a quality experience in my car, and my ratings reflect that.

Speaking of cancellations, what about when riders cancel on us? It is very aggravating to accept a ping, start travelling toward it, and then get a cancel notice with no payment whatsover. It's also very frustrating to have to wait a full five minutes for a rider before I can collect a no-show fee. How about making it three minutes like Lyft?

Again, thanks for the email. I'll try to do better. Threatening me with deactivation without offering helpful feedback is not helpful, but deactivate me if you feel you must. That's fine. If all Ubers were as nice as my car and the experience I provide, we'd all be better off. I hear more and more from riders how the whole experience has been degraded. That's a shame.

p sure he's gonna go from fanboy to fired in 3 weeks straight lol

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Condiv posted:

If I arrive and the people are carrying takeout boxes or standing there juggling a plate of greasy french fries, I will cancel. I don't want that in my car. Plus, asking them not to eat before letting them in my car will lead to a lower rating. I don't want the lower rating.

i love it when focus on a specific metric results in perverse incentives (i think that's the right term)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Condiv posted:

I'm starting to see a pattern here with certain names that seem to be made up to sound unique.

Oh, Atlanta.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maintain your perfect driver score by never picking anyone up ever

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

prefect posted:

i love it when focus on a specific metric results in perverse incentives (i think that's the right term)

cancelation rate is another metric that can get uber to drop him, though. and this guy either never worked a real job in his life or bought hard into the "be your own boss" crap if he thinks he's getting away with that stuff for any length of time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the whole "pax" thing really bugs me

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Condiv posted:

This is impossible. There is a floor. If drivers cannot afford to drive, they will drop out, and rates must go back up. Supply and demand will seek a balance.

the "i'm here to learn everything you guys have to tell me and then subsequently fight everything i'm told" is the most frustrating god damned thing in the world

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just started watching parks & rec and everyone is jon-ralphio

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bright-eyed bushy-tailed new uber drivers are the best. driving a taxi is a famously awful, dangerous, disrespected, and low-paying gig that traditionally is reduced to hiring newly-arrived immigrants and recent parolees and other people with absolutely no job skills or prospects but its somehow transformed into a desirable and solidly middle class career because youre working for uber and not checker or yellow cab

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

qirex posted:

maintain your perfect driver score by never picking anyone up ever

if you have an average rating of NaN does that put you at the top of the driver listings or the bottom

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

I wouldn't have called the shrinking of the real-estate search company a bubble flop. I think they're selling shovels to a market that needs it -- finding commercial space is an rear end in a top hat process, even worse than residential in my experience -- and they shut down an extension of their business before it hurt their core, which AFAICT is still doing fine.

streeteasy and 42floors are doing god's work

real estate brokerage is a dirty business run by and for parasites, but that's unfixable

real estate listings used to be just lies and postage stamps for photos, since they were run by realtors, who had no real interest in cobroking poo poo. public listing cites create much better incentives

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Condiv posted:

holy poo poo lol

Jonny 290 posted:

the whole "pax" thing really bugs me

:agreed: bugs the hell otu of me

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bobbilljim posted:

holy poo poo lol
i do a mundane service job for people and they treat me like some schmuck who is just, like, their servant or something and its really pissing me off!

i put my car out there for people to pay to use and they just feel like they have a right to use it, like theyre paying for it or something!

this guy is too much

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ugh this is not some gross taxi, this is just a nice car that i drive you around in for money, dispatched by a taxi service

it's completely different!!!!!
someone should teach you how to ride-share correctly!! there is a map!!!!!

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
FUNYUNS!!! IN MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE CAR!!!!!!!

gently caress YOU "WATERMELONDRA"

*speeds off*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i really like the first batch of posts where he talks back to the experienced uber drivers. well maybe you guys wouldnt be so broke and whiny if you showed a little ingenuity and had a cheerful disposition like me!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Condiv posted:

i've been keeping an eye on an uberforums poster for a couple of weeks. he's a new uber driver that had a ton of hope and belief in uber and the money he'd make and the nice people he'd drive

his progression as an uber driver is pretty entertaining

I hear you. I will take a good look at the math. I just wonder if it could work if someone bought late model used cars for this purpose and to use it solely for business. The rates will ebb and flow with supply and demand. The economy is heating back up, and many people are re-entering the job market.

My background check hasn't finished. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I start. I'm learning that the people with sour attitudes probably get lower ratings for a reason.

I'll see how well I can do with a cheerful disposition and ingenuity and report back. As a social worker, I have experience working with colleagues who are generally sour and contemptuous of their clients. I have wondered why they got into the work in the first place and why they stick with it.

Oh, hell yes.
Every time a pax tells me my car smells nice or that it smells new or asks me how long I've had it, I say that I keep it clean and that I'm very careful about who I allow into it. That leads to a conversation about ratings and how they are a two-way street. Then I show them their rating.
I'm not even going to bother with any pax below 4.8 anymore. I just accepted a 4.7, and she was a complete bitch. As soon as I accepted the ping, she sent a text saying "Call me when you get here." I replied, "No. You should watch the app and be ready when your car arrives. I'm canceling. You should call another car."
[/quote]

Thanks for the email, but that's not usually why I cancel. Sometimes a ping comes in and tells me a pick-up is a certain number of minutes away, but once I accept the trip, that number increases. I'm not going to drive out of my way for an unprofitable fare. Something is wrong with the app in that regard.

I also cancel if I get a call or text from the rider and it is in any way negative. If the vibe is negative, I'll cancel because it leads to a less than 5-star rating. I want to drive for nice people, not for bossy, condescending people.

If I arrive and see the rider putting out a cigarette and standing there in a big cloud of nasty cigarette smoke, I will cancel. I don't want that stench brought into my car. I love my car.

If I arrive, as I did yesterday, and there are more people than will fit in my car, I will cancel.

If I arrive at a location when traffic is busy, I'll wait as long as I can without getting honked at or waved away by parking police, but sometimes it is not practical to wait too long. In those cases, I cancel. Uber must do a better job of teaching riders to be ready when the car arrives. Waiting costs money. If they want traditional taxi service, that's what they should call. Uber is different and better. They shouldn't summon a car until they are ready to hop in it. They can literally watch me arrive on the map on their phones, leaving no excuse at all not to be ready.

If I'm travelling in one direction, accept a ping, and quickly get directed to go in the opposite direction, especially when traffic is heavy or u-turns are impractical or dangerous, I'll cancel. Again, the app could be smarter about that. That could be a preference that I set.

I would love to be part of making your app and the whole experience better and more transparent for drivers and riders. I provide a quality experience in my car, and my ratings reflect that.

Speaking of cancellations, what about when riders cancel on us? It is very aggravating to accept a ping, start travelling toward it, and then get a cancel notice with no payment whatsover. It's also very frustrating to have to wait a full five minutes for a rider before I can collect a no-show fee. How about making it three minutes like Lyft?

Again, thanks for the email. I'll try to do better. Threatening me with deactivation without offering helpful feedback is not helpful, but deactivate me if you feel you must. That's fine. If all Ubers were as nice as my car and the experience I provide, we'd all be better off. I hear more and more from riders how the whole experience has been degraded. That's a shame.
[/quote]

[/quote]

this is a thing of beauty and I want a cross stitch of it

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

i'm just saying people with certain ratings, from certain areas, with certain classifiable names might not be the type of fare i want to pick up. how is that racist.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ultramiraculous posted:

i'm just saying people with certain ratings, from certain areas, with certain classifiable names might not be the type of fare i want to pick up. how is that racist.

really it is you who are the racist for bringing up race in the first place :smuggo:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

what the gently caress is a pax

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

triple sulk posted:

peace

alternately some nonsensical slang for passengers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it's from airline use, possibly marine before that?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

triple sulk posted:

uber people use it as slang for passengers for some reason. no idea why and don't care enough to google it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

triple sulk posted:

come on man, context clues

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Main Paineframe posted:

uber people use it as slang for passengers for some reason. no idea why and don't care enough to google it

they're Too Busy To Pronounce The Whole World Because They're Entrepreneurs Who Are Soon Going To Be Captains Of Industry. god. you proles

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one cool way to sniff out if a movement is bullshit or not is if they force creation/use of jargon before the culture's naturally grown it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pax is standard jargon in transportation for passengers y'all trying too hard

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

pax is standard jargon in transportation for passengers y'all trying too hard

check out thomas the tank engine over here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we've got a foamer!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

one cool way to sniff out if a movement is bullshit or not is if they force creation/use of jargon before the culture's naturally grown it

also signs of a cult!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

check out thomas the tank engine over here

oh boy here comes train chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005