Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Thesaurus posted:

What would they be doing with their tens of millions of dollars? Giving it away to charity? Even for someone used to the finer things, it would be challenging to spend all of that down in your later years.

...a G5 airplane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

xie posted:

I don't think my good friend is an idiot, and he's certainly not spoiled. The only times they've ever given him money are when he had an awful, awful pile of medical bills, and they loaned him the "start up" money to move to the city (First/Last/Deposit). He spends less than he earns, doesn't even have a credit card (bad with money in the opposite direction, but still), etc.

It's just that when you start talking about IRAs and saving 10-15% minimum it doesn't compute. His parents absolutely have 7 figures in cash/property/etc. and are slowly winding down their business. The business is located on their 40+ acre property as well, so when they retire to FL I'm sure it'll all get sold. Yes, parents don't owe you anything at all, but if you can sit these people down and explain all of it then there's probably a career in financial counseling in your future.

note: I said I can't blame them, not that they're correct or that it isn't stupid. It's very difficult to get someone to learn a lesson on paper that they haven't had to learn IRL.

One thing that people with extraordinarily wealthy parents might not get is that even if they don't get money directly they're able to take extreme risks because their parents aren't going to let them eat dog food if they fail. And extreme risks are a good way to getting rich, if they pay off.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Thesaurus posted:

What would they be doing with their tens of millions of dollars? Giving it away to charity? Even for someone used to the finer things, it would be challenging to spend all of that down in your later years.

For people concerned with both personal legacy and philanthropy, charitable trusts seem like a good place to dump a few million dollars.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bloody Queef posted:

One thing that people with extraordinarily wealthy parents might not get is that even if they don't get money directly they're able to take extreme risks because their parents aren't going to let them eat dog food if they fail. And extreme risks are a good way to getting rich, if they pay off.

They really do though, in some cases. God help if you if your Dad honestly believes in "bootstraps".

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
What the use of money if you can't use it to make people miserable and resentful? These lessons have to be learned somehow.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

AgrippaNothing posted:

What the use of money if you can't use it to make people miserable and resentful? These lessons have to be learned somehow.

My plan is to fund a giant statue in my image. The more money I have, the bigger the statue I can fund. Also, I want my final resting place to have an eternal flame like the Kennedy's. Ah gently caress it, if the Pharaoh can get the Great Pyramid built over 4000 years ago, why are today's rich just loving around with their money? According to Wikipedia Freedom Tower cost 3.9billion. That's about 150 spots down the Forbes 400. Which one of those guys is going to build some awesome death tomb statue memorial to greatness?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
as another BFC poster with wealthy parents (think fourteen figures, not eight, also, the moon, which we own) all I can say is thank god for this forum so I know to max out my Roth IRA and when YNAB is on sale. also my shoes are very sensible.

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Ask them to save you a cool million as a favor.

It's not that challenging to hemorrhage money when you get old. I know he had much more than 8 figures, but it reminds me of how shocked people were that Michael Jackson could find a doctor to administer anesthesia to him every night. When you have millions of dollars people will always be around to part you from it. When my grandmother was in the ER for alcohol poisoning and urinary/kidney issues (because she never drank water) we would find bottles of scotch hidden in her hospital room. She paid people to bring it in. As long as she could operate a telephone or interact with someone outside the family (maids, doctors, caregivers, lawyers), she had no trouble hitting $50K/month.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

To my gassy cat Mittens, whom no one likes because that cat is a horrid inbred thing with a bad temper, I leave everything save a small endowment for the local cooking school that they might teach generations to come how to cook hog meals.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Also, serious post, see if you can find all of the bad with money in this article:

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/03/ins...e_fifth_gospel/

quote:

.... Earlier that year, my wife and I had been lucky to qualify for a loan on our used Toyota. Now the first royalty check could’ve bought a Jaguar for every day of the week. When Random House offered $2 million for two more books, to be doled out in payments for years to come, all memory of financial hardship vanished into the mist of unreality that now shrouded my life. My wife and I put a down payment on a large house that seemed, in those heady days of the booming real-estate market, a sound investment. ...

...In the years that followed, I would buy 600 research books on the Vatican, all of them aimed at solving one question or another in this way....

...In September of 2008, my wife and I pulled our nest egg out of the stock market and, seeking safe harbor, used part of it to pay down debt on our house. The remainder we earmarked as rainy-day funds for what appeared to be a long incoming storm. The new global recession had thus disguised an ominous sign of trouble closer to home. This was our first tacit acknowledgment that the “Rule of Four” money was not bottomless. That we were beginning to experience cash-flow problems....

...In my mind’s eye I had the Vatican, visible down to the most granular level of detail. And guiding my hands I had a half-decade’s apprenticeship in Catholicism. At long last, I was ready to write...

...I plunged headlong onto the blank page. By 2010, I had written a quarter of the novel. But now money was becoming a pressing concern. The portion of our nest egg we had reserved for a rainy day was eaten through. Sensing that I was close to rounding the corner, I asked my accountant about the legality of cashing out my retirement account. Legal, she advised. But not wise: a home equity loan would be better. Yet we both knew that no bank would extend such a loan to a writer with no income to show in his two most recent tax returns. Against counsel, I began withdrawals, projecting that they would be enough for my family to live on until 2011. By then, I would have finished a half-manuscript, a contractual milestone for which Random House would pay me for the first time in more than five years....

...All went according to plan. In late 2011, I returned to New York with the finished half-novel. None too soon, either; with the bottom of our retirement accounts in sight, only one source of funds remained, and it was the Rubicon we must not cross: our children’s college savings....

...My editor returned with the news that I would not be paid. Instead, Random House would exercise its option to terminate my contract for failure to deliver on time. This was, in a world where authors routinely finish books long after contracts demand them, staggering. Even more staggering was the news that Random House’s lawyers would pursue repayment of the signing money they had issued me as far back as 2004....

TL;DR: Author spends more than 10 years and his publishing advance researching a book that he does not even begin to write for 5 years, goes completely flat broke doing it including looting retirement accounts

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Also, serious post, see if you can find all of the bad with money in this article:

TL;DR: Author spends more than 10 years and his publishing advance researching a book that he does not even begin to write for 5 years, goes completely flat broke doing it including looting retirement accounts

:stare: ho. lee. sheeit.

And here I thought I was stupid for buying season four of game of thrones on bluray for $44.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

You missed this chestnut ...

quote:

Yet I had overlooked something. Blindly, inconceivably, after seven years of work on a novel about Christianity, I had failed to take into account the role played in human life by forces beyond our control.

Ah yes... it's taken me 12 years to produce one of two promised books which I only started 5 years after I got my money. Why hast thou forsaken your servant?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

AgrippaNothing posted:

To my gassy cat Mittens, whom no one likes because that cat is a horrid inbred thing with a bad temper, I leave everything save a small endowment for the local cooking school that they might teach generations to come how to cook hog meals.

Powdered donuts make me go nuts. The follow-up sketch also has the classic line "I don't do cocaine; I just like the way it smells."

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baja Mofufu posted:

It's not that challenging to hemorrhage money when you get old.

Also, your brain literally stops being able to recognize scams.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

melon cat posted:

For most cars that the average joe owns, there is no difference between regular and premium. There's never a shortage of dummies who think that their 2002 Neon needs premium. :woop:

I'm catching up on this thread so this is about 70 pages late, but when I first got my 2001 Neon (in 2003 lol) I did actually fill it up with 89 instead of 87 the first few times because I was so excited about my new car. Then I realized I was being a stupid dummy.

Still not quite as bad with money as the time I went inside to put $20 on pump #?, walked outside, got in my car and drove away.

I realized what I had done almost immediately, but by the time I could turn my car around and get back to the station the money was gone. I console myself by thinking that $20 was a blessing to someone worse off than me. However, this happened at a Chevron (as opposed to a "cheap" gas station like Arco), so in all likelihood some rear end in a top hat got lucky.

And my present bad with money story is that I'm still paying for full insurance on this 14 year old car instead of whatever the legal minimum is in CA. The shame of admitting this is the impetus I needed to contact my insurance agent. :/

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I'm bad with money because I work at the airport and have been eating from terminal food courts for lunch everyday this week.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

fork bomb posted:

And my present bad with money story is that I'm still paying for full insurance on this 14 year old car instead of whatever the legal minimum is in CA. The shame of admitting this is the impetus I needed to contact my insurance agent. :/

The legal minimum in CA is criminally low. If you somehow wind up injuring someone with your car, there's a fairly high chance that their medical bills will exceed the state minimum of 15k. If you can afford it, I would urge you to keep your liability insurance at at least 100k/300k.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

"It's cruel that this publisher wants back the millions they gave me to do... nothing, really." :argh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Not a Children posted:

The legal minimum in CA is criminally low. If you somehow wind up injuring someone with your car, there's a fairly high chance that their medical bills will exceed the state minimum of 15k. If you can afford it, I would urge you to keep your liability insurance at at least 100k/300k.

I'm guessing he means the complete portion and not the liability portion. If not, please do not drop the liability portion of your insurance, it has nothing to do with your car.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Phrasing posted:

I'm bad with money because I work at the airport and have been eating from terminal food courts for lunch everyday this week.

Ouch! That must be incredibly expensive.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nocheez posted:

Ouch! That must be incredibly expensive.

But think about how much Cinnabon equity he's building.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Devor posted:

But think about how much Cinnabon equity he's building.

Fat equity, my friend. It's a perfect hedge against hard times because it accrues steadily and you will automatically start drawing it down when you can't afford to eat.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

At one of the terminals a whopper combo at Burger King is $12.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Phrasing posted:

At one of the terminals a whopper combo at Burger King is $12.

Are walking a regular Whopper, Texas Double Whopper, or what?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Regular.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
A regular whopper combo on the I-76 toll road through Pennsylvania was something like $8 which is still several dollars higher than what it costs anywhere else.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hi goons. I'm bad with money. Terrible in fact. But I'm getting better (I think).

I have nothing whatsoever to show for my 20's except a lot of stories of extramarital affairs, crazy women and other exploits. I've recently stabilized my job history. Up until a year and a half ago, the way I knew we were stable (or whatever) is that our credit cards weren't going up. That worked out well of course, now I have about 7k in CC debt. This is also how I figured how how much "extra" money we had. We now have a mortgage, 2 car payments (I actually needed my car, but got ripped off, should have bought a brand new one for $2k more). We bought a bed and bedroom furniture, gadgets out the wazoo. We also have a loan where we fixed our roof.

Yet somehow through all of this, over the past year we've brought our net worth up almost 10k (still negative), I was without a job for 6 months. We did kill our savings account though (170 left out of 4k at one point :eng99:). I'm working again, about to get benefits (which will save us around $300 a month taking me off her insurance).

We still eat out way too much, and buy too much in groceries, but we're getting better.. I think..

However the wife wants a nice DDR dance pad for her PS2 :psyduck: and a PS3 (Which I want as well to play a few exclusive games). Not gonna buy it anytime soon, but she wants one.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

Hi goons. I'm bad with money. Terrible in fact. But I'm getting better (I think).

I have nothing whatsoever to show for my 20's except a lot of stories of extramarital affairs, crazy women and other exploits. I've recently stabilized my job history. Up until a year and a half ago, the way I knew we were stable (or whatever) is that our credit cards weren't going up. That worked out well of course, now I have about 7k in CC debt. This is also how I figured how how much "extra" money we had. We now have a mortgage, 2 car payments (I actually needed my car, but got ripped off, should have bought a brand new one for $2k more). We bought a bed and bedroom furniture, gadgets out the wazoo. We also have a loan where we fixed our roof.

Yet somehow through all of this, over the past year we've brought our net worth up almost 10k (still negative), I was without a job for 6 months. We did kill our savings account though (170 left out of 4k at one point :eng99:). I'm working again, about to get benefits (which will save us around $300 a month taking me off her insurance).

We still eat out way too much, and buy too much in groceries, but we're getting better.. I think..

However the wife wants a nice DDR dance pad for her PS2 :psyduck: and a PS3 (Which I want as well to play a few exclusive games). Not gonna buy it anytime soon, but she wants one.

Get her a DDR dance pad instead of a months gym membership. Good with money.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

tentish klown posted:

Get her a DDR dance pad instead of a months gym membership. Good with money.

She'd never use the gym membership so it would be a total waste of money, and she does enjoy DDR. Just gotta squeeze it into the budget sometime.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

She'd never use the gym membership so it would be a total waste of money, and she does enjoy DDR. Just gotta squeeze it into the budget sometime.

I assumed you/she already had a gym membership. Sorry :(
On the other hand, they're pretty cheap, no? Like <$20 if you don't need to get a super expensive metal one.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

DDR dance pads are garbage and frustrating and will be rolled up and stowed away in days.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

tentish klown posted:

I assumed you/she already had a gym membership. Sorry :(
On the other hand, they're pretty cheap, no? Like <$20 if you don't need to get a super expensive metal one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DDR-V3-Tournament-Metal-Dance-Pad-Mat-for-PS-PS2-/370927409368

Considering at one point they were $600-900.

BossRighteous posted:

DDR dance pads are garbage and frustrating and will be rolled up and stowed away in days.

To be fair, we've destroyed about 6 of the plastic pads.

e: I'm going to try to get her Just Dance Central or some poo poo for the XBone, her major problem with it was the fact that it took pictures of her :rolleyes:

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 4, 2015

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Gothmog1065 posted:

her major problem with it was the fact that it took pictures of her :rolleyes:

Wives are awesome :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Do you have a budget? A realistic one that you stick to? Save your discretionary up until you can afford your toys. That way you're not just blowing money indiscriminately,

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Do you have a budget? A realistic one that you stick to? Save your discretionary up until you can afford your toys. That way you're not just blowing money indiscriminately,

I won't poo poo up this thread anymore after this, but we did, and everything has been blown to hell with me making poor job decisions and the baby in daycare, now we're playing catch up. I'm just about back to where I was before the poor job decisions, and may be at or better in a few weeks, going to talk to my boss about what is going to happen after I come off of contract and get properly hired.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Yeah I think one of the thread rules ought to be "Don't post about yourself", because that poo poo rapidly devolves into a mess of advice-giving, advice-ignoring, humblebragging (on both sides) and "I don't want to derail any more, but <derail derail derail>".

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Weatherman posted:

Yeah I think one of the thread rules ought to be "Don't post about yourself", because that poo poo rapidly devolves into a mess of advice-giving, advice-ignoring, humblebragging (on both sides) and "I don't want to derail any more, but <derail derail derail>".

Not to derail, but I think this might only apply to posters like you. I've been very fortunate (through some crazy coincidences) to be able to give some good advice to people in this thread in the past. Maybe a good strategy for you would be trying to post more like I do?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

Not to derail, but I think this might only apply to posters like you. I've been very fortunate (through some crazy coincidences) to be able to give some good advice to people in this thread in the past. Maybe a good strategy for you would be trying to post more like I do?

This might be some kind of meta-joke that's flying over my head, but this is not the advice thread. If someone wants or needs advice, they can post in BFC.

I second the "don't post about yourself" rule.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

God forbid the thread actually talk about people, or money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I come here to read about people doing crazy poo poo, not to read earnest advice about how to wean a goon off a consumer spending addiction and live on $4 a day.

• Locked thread