Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Not on most of them, it's not consistent with Nexus 7's for sure and I believe 6s are the same way. I lose less than 1% battery/hour (haven't went out of my way to monitor, but it's definitely lower than that) standby on my Nexus 6. And don't have a noticeable memory leak.
Well we don't have any other software to compare to on the 6 for battery drain but there doesn't seem to be the memory leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The NAND just doesn't respond quick enough to fill up the memory, that's all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The NAND just doesn't respond quick enough to fill up the memory, that's all.
Not that I don't get the joke, but it's slow in use, it's just slower than an unencrypted version would be. At least it's not inconsistent (*cough* Nexus 9 *cough*).

It's crazy that Google wasn't able to get hardware decryption working on the device before me-too-ing that feature into production. At least they aren't holding the OEMs to such a bad decision.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

Not that I don't get the joke, but it's slow in use, it's just slower than an unencrypted version would be. At least it's not inconsistent (*cough* Nexus 9 *cough*).

Random and sequential reads are 40% slower than the Nexus 5. So, it's more than being slower than the unencrypted version would be. Nearly half of NAND performance was lost compared to the prior year's device. That's bad. Bad enough that google should allow people to unencrypt the N6 in 5.1 if they don't start leveraging the 805's encryption capabilities.

Even the goddamn new $150 Moto E has a lower impact of encrypting the storage than the N6 does.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Random and sequential reads are 40% slower than the Nexus 5. So, it's more than being slower than the unencrypted version would be. Nearly half of NAND performance was lost compared to the prior year's device. That's bad. Bad enough that google should allow people to unencrypt the N6 in 5.1 if they don't start leveraging the 805's encryption capabilities.

Even the goddamn new $150 Moto E has a lower impact of encrypting the storage than the N6 does.
I agree with you entirely, but then how could Google breathlessly run up to the podium after Apple announces all of their devices securely and transparently protect the user with full device encryption and shout "NO REALLY WE WILL TOO!"

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
My nexus 4 seems to be slowly dying. Random times where it locks and won't unlock until i reset it, and when a text comes in, trying to reply in the pop up window and not the app has started to randomly flicker through the pop up/lock screen/screensaver. I've even gotten a weird thing where my text app (handcent sms since i got the drat thing) will rotate the screen like 5 degrees until i reset. Lost all audio twice now.

Is there any chance rooting it and going back to an older OS would fix this or is this cell phone dementia before it bites the dust.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

My nexus 4 seems to be slowly dying. Random times where it locks and won't unlock until i reset it, and when a text comes in, trying to reply in the pop up window and not the app has started to randomly flicker through the pop up/lock screen/screensaver. I've even gotten a weird thing where my text app (handcent sms since i got the drat thing) will rotate the screen like 5 degrees until i reset. Lost all audio twice now.

Is there any chance rooting it and going back to an older OS would fix this or is this cell phone dementia before it bites the dust.
What I'd do is flash a fresh factory image of the current software first. If it's still unusable try a factory image of KitKat (you'll be constantly pestered to update). If it's still unusable there then you might just need a new phone.

Back up everything as this will wipe your storage as well as the OS, and go here for images (instructions are at the top of this page). When you start over how about try going it with as few apps as possible to determine the stability of the device and OS before getting it back to exactly how it was? Might help with seeing if it's the phone, the apps, or the OS.

Good luck and if you need help just ask here. Almost all of us know this process by heart and will be happy to help.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

100% correct.

Also lollipop broke the ability to make calls with headphones on my N5

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Also lollipop broke the ability to make calls with headphones on my N5

It's lollipop across the board on that issue as far as I'm aware.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

withoutclass posted:

It's lollipop across the board on that issue as far as I'm aware.

lol (lipop?)

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Runs pretty great on my N6 other than the random soft reboots, no headphone calling, awesome volume adjustment change, and 60% overnight idle battery drain!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Runs pretty great on my N6 other than the random soft reboots, no headphone calling, awesome volume adjustment change, and 60% overnight idle battery drain!

Why don't you people charge your goddamn phones overnight I will never understand this

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

withoutclass posted:

I can't speak to the headset issue but I can assure you that my wife's N6 neither kernel panics nor drains 60% while idle overnight. You have an app problem or a hardware problem and given the idle drain I'm leaning toward and app problem.

If you pull the last_kmsg from the /proc/ folder it would probably point you toward what's causing the panics at least.

Penguissimo posted:

Why don't you people charge your goddamn phones overnight I will never understand this
I know, right? Just loving put a Vu on the nightstand and set the phone there. It also provides a convenient place to reach to snooze your alarm in the morning.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Penguissimo posted:

Some people don't have power near their bed. My house is old (like, a century old) and only has one socket point in most of the bedrooms and I don't want to traipse wires all over the rooms.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

Some people don't have power near their bed. My house is old and only has one socket point is most of the bedrooms and I don't want to traipse wires all over the room.

Simply get a new house so you can charge your phone. Duh.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Simply get a new house so you can charge your phone. Duh.
My parents say I'm not allowed to build a new house in their basement, what now?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

If you pull the last_kmsg from the /proc/ folder it would probably point you toward what's causing the panics at least.

What do kernel panics look like in this log? Also, would this provide any insight to the sleep-of-death?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

What do kernel panics look like in this log? Also, would this provide any insight to the sleep-of-death?
It wouldn't help with unresponsiveness because what that does is when a kernel panic forces the phone to reboot, the kernel writes down what caused it in the file /proc/last_kmsg.

What you'd want to pull would be a logcat which you can't do without root or ADB and you'd have to catch it in the act.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Tunga posted:

Some people don't have power near their bed. My house is old (like, a century old) and only has one socket point in most of the bedrooms and I don't want to traipse wires all over the rooms.

why does it need to be near your bed?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

why does it need to be near your bed?
Because my phone is my alarm (and I like to read blogs and stuff on my phone for a bit before I get up).

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Penguissimo posted:

People occasionally sleep in places that aren't their own homes, and may not want to bring a spare charger to the club or wherever :iiam:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So Huawei is going to be the next partner in the Nexus program. Weird.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Do they make any battery brick packs that support the quick charge 2.0 functionality? Would be nice to have one to toss in my travel bag; even though a quick charger can juice the thing up in 15 minutes it'd save me the trouble of having to jockey for a power plug at the airport.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

kitten smoothie posted:

Do they make any battery brick packs that support the quick charge 2.0 functionality? Would be nice to have one to toss in my travel bag; even though a quick charger can juice the thing up in 15 minutes it'd save me the trouble of having to jockey for a power plug at the airport.

http://www.incipio.com/ces-power/quick-charge-portable-backup-battery-6000-mah.html

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Awesome, thanks. My Amazon searches were only coming up with vanilla battery packs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I agree with you entirely, but then how could Google breathlessly run up to the podium after Apple announces all of their devices securely and transparently protect the user with full device encryption and shout "NO REALLY WE WILL TOO!"
I feel like the only reason Apple would do that at this point is just to egg Google considering iPhones have had full device encryption since like the 3GS.

Which I guess is something Apple would do.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I feel like the only reason Apple would do that at this point is just to egg Google considering iPhones have had full device encryption since like the 3GS.

Which I guess is something Apple would do.
That's literally what happened. When Apple announced that post iOS 8 that Apple could not decrypt iPhones even if they wanted to, Google announced they'd enforce encryption as well. The only problem is they didn't have it ready to work, but hey that's a just a small detail.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lblitzer posted:

So Huawei is going to be the next partner in the Nexus program. Weird.

What's weird about it? I mean why not

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Doesn't look like you can actually order one of these yet, of course.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

baka kaba posted:

What's weird about it? I mean why not
Their phones seem nice enough and Google makes the design decisions on Nexus devices anyway. Huawei also has the second-best Android OEM logo after Motorola. The goofy LG face logo on my 5 really bothered me, fortunately it was just a sticker.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ruby idiot railed posted:

The prototype probably explodes half way through the charge cycle.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

ruby idiot railed posted:

Yeah, I didn't know this actually existed until I looked it up to answer the post. I remember I searched for one myself a few weeks ago and found only one exists, and it's only sold in China. You can get it in America, of course, with a minimum 1000 ct order.

There's some new battery pack out there that comes with a AC outlet. I'd rather just get that and plug a turbo charger into there.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

There's some new battery pack out there that comes with a AC outlet. I'd rather just get that and plug a turbo charger into there.

I think that might be a bit of a fire hazard.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Softcard posted:

Important update that will impact your Softcard app
We are pleased to let you know that Google has acquired technology from Softcard to power the next generation of mobile wallets.

What does that mean for you? As of 3/31 your Softcard app will no longer work. You can continue to use the Softcard app until 3/31. After that your Account will be closed.

To keep using a digital wallet app download Google Wallet now.

Sincerely,
The Softcard Team

Well I guess that clarifies what "technology" Google acquired from Softcard.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just about had it with this Nexus 5. Lollipop has already killed its usability and now it refuses to be charged by my Tylt Vu which is happily charging my N7 with no issues.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just about had it with this Nexus 5. Lollipop has already killed its usability and now it refuses to be charged by my Tylt Vu which is happily charging my N7 with no issues.

How can software kill the Qi charging?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

How can software kill the Qi charging?

I have no earthly idea and honestly it's probably a hardware fault but between that and 5 .0 killing this thing I've had it.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."
Just switched over from my old iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S5 Active. Still adjusting but it's pretty cool so far. I can get music to play via USB into my car, but apps (8tracks, etc.) just come out the built in speakers. Anyone know how to fix this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Drama Llama posted:

Just switched over from my old iPhone 4 to a Galaxy S5 Active. Still adjusting but it's pretty cool so far. I can get music to play via USB into my car, but apps (8tracks, etc.) just come out the built in speakers. Anyone know how to fix this?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021818&p_id=9564&seq=1&format=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This post has solidified the choice that I am NOT going to buy a Nexus 5 and shall pick up a 6. :v:

So are we talking Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?