Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
Yeah, it would have to be kept seperate from the politics of south Cali and north Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ardennes posted:

The State of Jefferson should happen, but it gets to count as a territory.
They could be a state, but Seattle and the entire Hoh should become The Emerald Forest Territory. (But only after Amazon is removed. Otherwise the first thing that would happen is a return to actual slavery.)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Haha! The Oregon invasion has begun!

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2015/01/in-n-out_medford_oregon_constr.html

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQowy9DdY8k

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
In Oregon, we actually have anti turist commercials running.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In N Out is actually how Californians hide terrorist sleeper cells in other states

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

etalian posted:

In N Out is actually how Californians hide terrorist sleeper cells in other states

That's where Vince Gilligan got the inspiration for Los Pollos Hermanos.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They are a fundamentalist religious cult.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

etalian posted:

SHHHHHHHH!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Today protesters blocked Highway 17 near Santa Cruz to protest tuition hikes at the UCs.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Good to know why! Nice Polite Republican radio only told me to expect delays due to a protest.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

On Highway 17 probably no one could tell that there was a protest blocking things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Then why does it say this:

quote:

They chanted: “No justice, no peace. (Expletive) the police.”

Or are millennial protesters just terrible at protesting?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

nm posted:

Then why does it say this:

Or are millennial protesters just terrible at protesting?

Guerilla marketing for the NWA movie. Also a protest. Its the new thing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Having protested a fair amount, chants get recycled. Especially when you are bored as gently caress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Why would you block the 17 to protest tuition hikes at the UC's? Shouldn't they be chaining themselves to something in or around campus?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sydin posted:

Why would you block the 17 to protest tuition hikes at the UC's? Shouldn't they be chaining themselves to something in or around campus?

Say what you will about being couth but people did give a poo poo about this and no one would possibly care about some UCSC treesitter.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sydin posted:

The people around campus probably already know about the tuition hikes. You raise awareness by protesting where people outside your own community will see the protest.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Having protested a fair amount, chants get recycled. Especially when you are bored as gently caress.

But a completely off-topic chant? I mean this did seem organized, a few chants about tuition increases might have helped.
Also, blocking the admin building or occupying a floor would make more sense if that is what they wanted to do. Especially as the admin at the UCs have expanded massively since the 80s (though funding has also been cut back).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trabisnikof posted:

The people around campus probably already know about the tuition hikes. You raise awareness by protesting where people outside your own community will see the protest.

I guess that makes sense, but it seems rather counter-intuitive. I doubt they garnered much sympathy for their cause by making a poo poo ton of people late to work. Nor do I wager it really much effected the UC admins who are proposing the hike.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sydin posted:

I guess that makes sense, but it seems rather counter-intuitive. I doubt they garnered much sympathy for their cause by making a poo poo ton of people late to work.

This has been a constant refrain throughout the history of protesting. Every single march gets that complaint. Politely protesting gets you nowhere.

If you were annoyed by being late in traffic, how pissed off must the protesters be to protest there all day? Makes you think.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trabisnikof posted:

If you were annoyed by being late in traffic, how pissed off must the protesters be to protest there all day? Makes you think.

You know more thoughtful people than I. Most of my coworkers would just spend the whole day bitching about "loving no-life students" and complain about how their taxes are already too high. :v:

But I suppose you're right, a protest that doesn't ruffle feathers isn't a very effective protest. The venue just feels odd to me, is all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It got them in the news, which was the point.

Likewise, the kind of person who is going to do a protest like that is going to have a lot of political feelings. They are gonna chant about all of 'em. And they should. No one accuses MLK of being "unfocused" on civil rights because he spent a lot of energy on anti-war and economic justice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The whole thing is a shitfest between an administration that won't cut its bloated self, and the tax payers who won't pay enough to fund a truly world-class system. I hate to go all truth is in the middle, but it is mostly true here, though I blame the tax payers more as even with reduced admin, the UC will be underfunded, particularly if it will use tenure track people like they should. The students are stuck in the middle.
California voters do oppose the tuition increases. However, the alternatives for funding are cutting classes, teaching staff, and admitting few instate students in favor of out-of-states, which they also supported in the same poll as the alternative to increases.

Shbobdb posted:

Likewise, the kind of person who is going to do a protest like that is going to have a lot of political feelings. They are gonna chant about all of 'em. And they should. No one accuses MLK of being "unfocused" on civil rights because he spent a lot of energy on anti-war and economic justice.
Both of those related to MLK's message. "gently caress the police" doesn't relate to theirs (though, it would relate to MLK's), and in fact, gives certain persons tools to marginalize them.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 4, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sydin posted:

You know more thoughtful people than I. Most of my coworkers would just spend the whole day bitching about "loving no-life students" and complain about how their taxes are already too high. :v:

But I suppose you're right, a protest that doesn't ruffle feathers isn't a very effective protest. The venue just feels odd to me, is all.

And for civil rights march there are those that would shake their fist and complain about those "lazy negros" or "shiftless gays". Doesn't mean the protesting that drove those movements wasn't worth while.

Or the free speech movement for an even more California specific example of "loving no-life students" enshrining rights that even freepers adore.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

nm posted:

The whole thing is a shitfest between an administration that won't cut its bloated self, and the tax payers who won't pay enough to fund a truly world-class system. I hate to go all truth is in the middle, but it is mostly true here, though I blame the tax payers more as even with reduced admin, the UC will be underfunded, particularly if it will use tenure track people like they should. The students are stuck in the middle.
California voters do oppose the tuition increases. However, the alternatives for funding are cutting classes, teaching staff, and admitting few instate students in favor of out-of-states, which they also supported in the same poll as the alternative to increases.

The alternative that isn't one, for some reason, is to cut the poo poo out of administration and management, which has ballooned over the last 20 years proportion-wise to teaching/research staff. Sadly the UC system is being run like a corporation, and the last thing that will be cut is senior management positions, rather than the first. There's more senior management positions than there are tenured positions now.

The other big holes in the budget relate to prop 13 and dealing with the prison mess.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

nm posted:

Both of those related to MLK's message. "gently caress the police" doesn't relate to theirs (though, it would relate to MLK's), and in fact, gives certain persons tools to marginalize them.

From a modern perspective . . . maybe. At the time, they were in very much the opposite direction since it fed into the whole notion that "ending segregation is Communism and unAmerican" which was a major concern at that time.

Looking to the future, I imagine it will be easy to see how a population forced into debt peonage would be highly critical of the police.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nm posted:

It's not just admin bloat though, it's also lovely decision making and allocation of funding. I worked for one of the CSU's for the better part of three years, and I can tell you first hand that internal decision making is hosed. My school in particular had (and from what I hear from friends still going there, still has) a problem with shoveling money into multiple infrastructure projects, while simultaneously cutting back teaching staff & class availability. While it's true the campus is old and even now still needs a lot of work, there's no excuse for throwing up 5 new buildings at the same time while also saying there's no money in the budget for classes. A little balancing is appropriate here. There were other issues too, including the deliberate redirection of student fees towards the admin's pet projects, or our President being some kind of STEM cultists who considered any major that wasn't STEM oriented a complete waste, and took the sheers to anything he could accordingly. It got so bad the student council went over the President's head and appealed to the CSU chancellor to conduct an independent audit of the school's budget. :shepface:

Basically what I'm saying is that if management is half as bad at the UC's as it is at the CSU's, then even reducing admin bloat & increasing tax revenue together won't be enough. There needs to be more oversight regarding how these places are actually being run.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 4, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
People absolutely accused civil rights protesters of being unfocused. That's a classic criticism of protesters to try and minimize their complaints.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Besides, look at it this way: in an age where political activism for most people amounts to posting crap on Facebook and signing useless online petitions, these kids actually went out there and did something reasonably harmless that actually put them in the spotlight. So props to them.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Sydin posted:

UCSC was laid out to minimize the ability to do anything like this in response to various historical UCB happenings. (Anecdotal story from UCSC professor.)

It would be like chaining yourself to a random tree in a forest and hoping someone noticed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FRINGE posted:

UCSC was laid out to minimize the ability to do anything like this in response to various historical UCB happenings. (Anecdotal story from UCSC professor.)
That's been the story since, like, UCSD? Which is on a hill but a 15 minute march to downtown La Jolla. I remember an SD professor mentioning a grad student immolating himself on the old student quad, and a tense protest march that ended up being a "stand around and hope no one from either side does anything dumb" kind of thing.

It would make a lot of sense if it were true. UC Merced is basically out in the middle of old cow fields and farmland. It's a bitch to get there by car. I can't imagine anyone would march out of that into Mercedtown easily.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Once again I find myself sympathizing almost entirely with UC students and their complaints, and also once again finding their methods just shy of idiotic and useless. Might be a bit bitter and cynical considering I used to go there, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FRINGE posted:

It would be like chaining yourself to a random tree in a forest and hoping someone noticed.

Ucsb was established in 65, before most of the UCB protests.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Bizarro Watt posted:

Once again I find myself sympathizing almost entirely with UC students and their complaints, and also once again finding their methods just shy of idiotic and useless. Might be a bit bitter and cynical considering I used to go there, though.

What exactly can students do that will change anything?

Take a building and occupy it, 60's style?

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Zeitgueist posted:

They tried this at UCB a few years ago. After most of a week of occupation, the cops bust in at 5 AM one morning and arrested a bunch of people (including my roommate at the time).

Edit: This was different than the Wheeler Hall occupation but I'm having trouble finding any news stories on it, I think it was Dwinelle.

Phayray fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 4, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Phayray posted:

They tried this at UCB a few years ago. After most of a week of occupation, the cops bust in at 5 AM one morning and arrested a bunch of people (including my roommate at the time).

I know, that's why I used that example.

Campuses are trying desperately to lose any trappings of "friendly to protest culture" they have left over from the past century and I don't really know what much there is to be done, as tuition pricing and student debt doesn't gain a lot of traction outside the college community relative to other issues.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A friendly reminder that the backlash against the Berkeley protests is what got Reagan elected governor and tuition enacted at UC to begin with.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Zeitgueist posted:

I know, that's why I used that example.

Campuses are trying desperately to lose any trappings of "friendly to protest culture" they have left over from the past century and I don't really know what much there is to be done, as tuition pricing and student debt doesn't gain a lot of traction outside the college community relative to other issues.

The University of California in the twentieth century is noted for such "friendly to protest culture" aspects as enacting a loyalty oath that even a former member of the Freikorps refused to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Zeitgueist posted:

Occupying a building is something that UCSC students do almost every other Tuesday.

I honestly don't know the answer to your question. I think one issue is that in terms of the tuition hikes, most Californians are actually already on their side and blocking traffic isn't accomplishing anything worthwhile minus being a nuisance. Protests also occur with such frequency there that, at least when I was as student, they stopped being that big of a deal and became just another thing. What are they protesting now?, etc. Many of my friends felt the same way and none of us were truth-is-in-the-middle types or conservative turds.

Their messaging is also often inconsistent. It's usually about tuition hikes mixed in with whatever the current hot topic is, in this case police brutality apparently. I also remember last time they threatened to shut down campus (which with UCSC is surprisingly easy-- just block the roads) and that was drat near infuriating for a lot normally sympathetic people. It didn't make me suddenly switch to the pro-UCOP side out of spite because that's idiotic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did that for a few people. That also relates to my relative annoyance with the grad student union in general.