Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Another vote for Party Down. It only being 2 seasons was a travesty. And I feel like I've heard the Party Down movie has DEFINITELY been a go since early 2013, yet I have no Party Down movie :/

And I'd like to recommend Angry Boys as a great comedy to watch that winds up surprising you with how much heart it has.

But yeah, as far as more obvious recommendations go, Brooklyn 99 is ok, not nearly as clever or funny as Parks, but pretty good.
I feel like New Girl has had a tonal shift to be more joke oriented and absurdist this latest season, maybe somewhat the last season as well (a big improvement over the previous seasons to me).
Mindy Project is decent, but it needs more of the supporting characters and less Mindy/Chris Messina.
And of course 30 Rock is just a fuckin classic. If you like Ron Swanson, you'll probably like Jack Donaghy. (The Kenneth/Tracy relationship is really the best part of the show, though).

gently caress all other shows.

Not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Veep and Party Down are brilliant and hysterically funny workplace comedies, but they're almost opposite of Parks and Recreation in terms of that feel-good tone because most of the co-workers on both shows loving hate each other.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
P&R really is quite unique in it's positive but not saccharine tone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

drainpipe posted:

P&R really is quite unique in it's positive but not saccharine tone.
Bob's Burgers

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Man, I want to like the show more. Tina is great, Linda is great. A lot of the smaller recurring characters are funny. But I just find Louise unfunny and annoying, and it brings the show down.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Louise is definitely the worst character. Tina is a champion.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'd rate them Linda > Tina > Bob > Louise > Gene, but everybody's different. I just love Linda's enthusiasm.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pick posted:

Louise is definitely the worst character. Tina is a champion.

That's funny because Kristen Schaal had the worst 30 Rock character too.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Veep and Party Down are brilliant and hysterically funny workplace comedies, but they're almost opposite of Parks and Recreation in terms of that feel-good tone because most of the co-workers on both shows loving hate each other.

I understand this argument yet I feel there is a strong connection between P&R and Party Down outsides of Ben and Tammy. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe after I watch a few more not-quite-there shows I can describe it.

On the subject of Party Down, I find the show has a strong melancholy tone that's what make it stand out after 5 years still.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was actually going to mention Bob's Burgers but decided its too different from Parks and Rec to compare. But its definitely a positive show, and any show where the characters both are believable and don't hate each other stands out these days.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I've heard underwhelming things about Bob's Burger season 1. Should I watch from the beginning or should I skip some episodes a la Season 1 of P&R?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

drainpipe posted:

I've heard underwhelming things about Bob's Burger season 1. Should I watch from the beginning or should I skip some episodes a la Season 1 of P&R?

The first season is great.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Hobo Clown posted:

That's funny because Kristen Schaal had the worst 30 Rock character too.

Very true

For good Kristen, see: Flight of the Conchords, her Daily Show segments. Probably some other stuff?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gravity Falls.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Matey posted:

Very true

For good Kristen, see: Flight of the Conchords, her Daily Show segments. Probably some other stuff?
She's easily the 2nd best character on Last Man on Earth.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

WoG posted:

Ooooh buddy. I keep forgetting to watch that, but I definitely have been meaning to, and will soon.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

WoG posted:

What, no love for Terence, Trent, or D'arby?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Boywhiz88 posted:

The first season is great.

IMO the first 2 or 3 episodes are a little off-putting, for some reason they go for a lot of shock/gross out humor, perhaps as an attempt to sway the Family Guy crowd. It just comes across as very amateurish.

After that though it finds its voice pretty quickly and is pretty solid throughout.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Pick posted:

I tell you guys, Sirens.

Yeah, Sirens is really funny. It's a little more raunchy than P&R but it's got a good cast with good chemistry.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Oh, Playing House is also a delightful comedy. The stakes don't feel that high, but it has a very pleasant tone and great chemistry among its terrific cast (Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Keegan-Michael Key, and Zack Woods).

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Couple more I thought of: Psych and Cougar Town. Both pretty positive shows. Cougar Town especially reminds me of P&R with a crazy leading woman that goes the extra mile for her friends.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The IT Crowd.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Davros1 posted:

The IT Crowd.

Me and my housemate tried this but neither of us were really interested after 3 or 4 episodes. Does it pick up at all later on?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

drainpipe posted:

Oh, Playing House is also a delightful comedy. The stakes don't feel that high, but it has a very pleasant tone and great chemistry among its terrific cast (Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Keegan-Michael Key, and Zack Woods).

Yes.

Watch Playing House, it's a great light comedy that has some fantastic moments and has a lot of heart.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reiche posted:

Me and my housemate tried this but neither of us were really interested after 3 or 4 episodes. Does it pick up at all later on?
Yes, the second season is a big improvement over the first. But if the episode with the new 0811 999 etc. number didn't grab you, or at least the episode with the goth, you're probably not going to be that into it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Davros1 posted:

The IT Crowd.

If you're gonna go with a Linehan show, it absolutely has to be Father Ted. Every single episode is gold, and anyone who hasn't seen it is missing out on one of the best sitcoms ever.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Be aware that Party Down is pretty dark especially compared to Parks and Rec. It is not an optimistic show.

Please don't let any of these comments stop you from watching either of these excellent loving television programs.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
A lot of the eps of Community are actually pretty heartwarming and through all the weird things they do to manipulate each other, the characters do try to be better people and usually reaffirm their friendship by the end of any given episode--to the point that it was actually very jarring in the one ep they had where they were very explicitly being horrible people to someone outside of their group.

Brooklyn 99 is getting there, and between all the shows I mention in this post, is the only one that's still running/not ending in a few weeks--but I don't quite find it as sweet as Parks yet. However, season 1 was loving hilarious, so it has that to make up for it.

Cougar Town and Happy Endings don't do much for me, to be honest, but a lot of people like these shows, and they definitely lie on the positivity side of things. They're sitcoms about friends hanging out and just being nice to each other. In fact, I think the reason that I'm not into those shows might be that there's so little real conflict between the cast (most of the conflict is goofy friendship stuff) that there's also little real catharsis at the end of an episode.

I also mentioned Chuck earlier, which is not actually a sitcom, but if you asked me what the most feel-good show I knew was, I'd answer with this. Even at its worst (a couple of eps of season 4) it was still a show where all the characters ultimately loved each other. The cast had solid chemistry--for the most part they were likable characters you'd want to hang out with--and the show was full of heart without being overly saccharine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually don't think most characters on Party Down hate each other. For example how Roman and Kyle poo poo on each other, but there are plenty of examples where they get along as well, or how Kyle was always close with Jane Lynch's character.

Usually more than anything it's them all hating their clients.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

If you want something heartwarming and don't have any issues with watching all-ages cartoons, Steven Universe is honestly one of the most heartwarming, sincere, and consistently great shows that I've ever seen.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

I really hope the rumors about it maybe coming back are true. But don't let me give you guys false hope!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Argue posted:

I also mentioned Chuck earlier, which is not actually a sitcom, but if you asked me what the most feel-good show I knew was, I'd answer with this. Even at its worst (a couple of eps of season 4) it was still a show where all the characters ultimately loved each other. The cast had solid chemistry--for the most part they were likable characters you'd want to hang out with--and the show was full of heart without being overly saccharine.

Yay, Chuck is back in the conversation. And no one ruin it this time with talk of Adam Baldwin being a crazy right winger or Zachary Levi trying to save everyone.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Chuck was great. All four seasons of it. Yup. Chuck was a great four-season show.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

kayakyakr posted:

Yay, Chuck is back in the conversation. And no one ruin it this time with talk of Adam Baldwin being a crazy right winger or Zachary Levi trying to save everyone.

Wait, what about Levi trying to save everyone? Is he super religious and want everyone to accept Jesus or something? If so, who cares? Sorry, if this is exactly the argument you were trying to stop, I just have no idea what you're referring to. (Unlike Baldwin's opinions, which I can't escape any time he's mentioned)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Wait, what about Levi trying to save everyone? Is he super religious and want everyone to accept Jesus or something? If so, who cares? Sorry, if this is exactly the argument you were trying to stop, I just have no idea what you're referring to. (Unlike Baldwin's opinions, which I can't escape any time he's mentioned)

AlliedBiscuit posted:

My friend has worked a bit with Zack Levi and says he's super religious and kind of misogynist. She still has a huge crush on him though

:(

(Chuck was still a great show, regardless.)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Spoeank posted:

Chuck was great. All four seasons of it. Yup. Chuck was a great four-season show.

This here is the truth. Pay no attention to that fifth season behind the curtain.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

:(

(Chuck was still a great show, regardless.)

Unfortunate.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
For sitcoms about workplace families, feel free to go back 20, 30, 40 years: NewsRadio, WKRP in Cincinnati and The Mary Tyler Moore Show are about the best of the best.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Mister Mind posted:

For sitcoms about workplace families, feel free to go back 20, 30, 40 years: NewsRadio, WKRP in Cincinnati and The Mary Tyler Moore Show are about the best of the best.

I agree with all of these. Especially Newsradio. Newsradio is Basically Perfect, then Phil Hartman got murdered, and it became Almost Perfect. RIP Phil Hartman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I agree with all of these. Especially Newsradio. Newsradio is Basically Perfect, then Phil Hartman got murdered, and it became Almost Perfect. RIP Phil Hartman.

The season 5 finale is one of the hardest episodes I have ever seen

quote:

"Dear Matthew, I am dead. No matter what I may have told you about my secret plan, do not get on an airplane and fly around the world searching for me. Also, be assured that this is not just a further ruse to throw everyone off the track of my secret plan."

Matthew: "P.S., the crow flies at midnight."

• Locked thread