Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I see what you did there WOTC making Foe Razor Regent a 4/5...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

Those aren't the same though, unless I'm forgetting what arc blade does. They don't exile the spell, they try to put it somewhere else. Compare Obzedat and Whip.

Odd they didn't include examples of self-exile since there are dozens of those already. Whats the ruling on how Cast Through Time interacts with Restock or whatever?

All Sun's Dawn ends with "Exile All Sun's Dawn."

qbert posted:

No, because Kolaghan only affects creature/planeswalker spells?

Edit: Wow, a lot of people above me don't know how the card works.

That's because nobody cares about the dollar Mythic's trinket text ability :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

All Sun's Dawn ends with "Exile All Sun's Dawn."
Yeah, and then I remembered what Arc Blade does too. I think I misread All Suns' as one of the Zenith cycle. Derp.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Bombastic trailer for the Origins game, featuring child Chandra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saNAgbhd2gw

I doubt the featured card artwork (like Vengvine) has any implications for what the paper set will include.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

That's because nobody cares about the dollar Mythic's trinket text ability :v:

Could you please post a complete price guide for all the spoilered cards so far, I want to budget out my next month thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I see what you did there WOTC making Foe Razor Regent a 4/5...

What?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Because if it was 5/5 it would be REALLY REALLY good. Even at 7 cmc.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Could you please post a complete price guide for all the spoilered cards so far, I want to budget out my next month thanks.

Seconding this for hilarity.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Because if it was 5/5 it would be REALLY REALLY good.

Yeah much better, but at 7 mana still hardly playable I think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Yeah much better, but at 7 mana still hardly playable I think.

Kill your Siege Rhino/Tasiger and leave behind a 7/7 flyer is pretty great....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

I don't get it.

mcmagic posted:

You know what else is great? Just casting Hornet Queen.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Please mcmagic, settle on the periods.

But yeah I 100% agree. The difference between four and five was absolutely massive here.

Might still see some fringe play. It's certainly funny in some sort of weird ramp frontier siege / dragon deck.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Yeah, drawing non creature spells and doubling kill, draw and wrath spells are totally not things control wants.
God it never even occurred to me how hilarious rebounding wrath is.

Dash might be more valuable than we think.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 4, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

But seriously, none of her abilities are good enough to justify switching to UW and none of them are even tailored toward control.

Yeah, drawing non creature spells and doubling kill, draw and wrath spells are totally not things control wants.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You're forgetting something - you can't just put Narset in U/B Control. You have to take black out and switch to white because the mana is not good enough in Standard to play Esper.

None of her abilities actually do anything you want in control reliably - her plus ability is basically rolling the dice at about 60% that you draw a card, which you need to hit on twice to make casting Narset card advantage (since Narset herself costs a card) and her rebound ability is mostly just cute with blue or white spells. You don't have access to Hero's Downfall or Thoughtseize in U/W, so those are out and white's removal suite is all either conditional or is an un-reboundable enchantment. You can rebound Treasure Cruise, sure, but you also have nothing to reliably fuel a big Delve spell in U/W (plus you have to do it on your turn).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

You're forgetting something - you can't just put Narset in U/B Control. You have to take black out and switch to white because the mana is not good enough in Standard to play Esper.

None of her abilities actually do anything you want in control reliably - her plus ability is basically rolling the dice at about 60% that you draw a card, which you need to hit on twice to make casting Narset card advantage (since Narset herself costs a card) and her rebound ability is mostly just cute with blue or white spells. You don't have access to Hero's Downfall or Thoughtseize in U/W, so those are out and white's removal suite is all either conditional or is an un-reboundable enchantment. You can rebound Treasure Cruise, sure, but you also have nothing to reliably fuel a big Delve spell in U/W (plus you have to do it on your turn).

Rebounding even a Divination is great. As is rebounding any wrath or removal is pretty much a timewalk.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't get it.

Please stop declaring the price of a card 5 seconds after it's spoiled. It's annoying.

Edit: For actualy discussion, I think new Narset is insane and you're vastly undervaluing her.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Please stop declaring the price of a card 5 seconds after it's spoiled. It's annoying.

Hey some of us need to work on our DTK portfolios and can't live without that kind of valuable information.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Narset: 10 dollar card.

mcmagic posted:

Rebounding even a Divination is great. As is rebounding any wrath or removal is pretty much a timewalk.

White's removal is all conditional. I tend to dbout that its worth dropping black the possbility of rebounding End Hostilities.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Um okay but can I get the price of the japanese foil in italian lira?

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I'm going to make a bold prediction: the prices of the cards are going to fluctuate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Um okay but can I get the price of the japanese foil in italian lira?

If only I knew the exchange rate on defunct currencies.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Narset is better than Ugin
Ugin is somehow still $30
FRF seems like one of the more widely bought small sets.

I think Narset will be +$30 while she's in standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

In all seriousness, I think its price is entirely dependent on additional cards in Dragons. If there's a bunch of good white removal spells, she could be good. As-is, U/W is a lovely color combo, which is why people don't' play U/W Control right now.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

I can appreciate the logical flow of your arguments but I don't think that first statement applies in standard.

The third premise is something I'd like to ask about as well - what is driving the sales of DTK more than fetches did the sales of KTK - is it dragon hype?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

Narset: 10 dollar card.

Hey remember when Ugin was spoiled and I had to point out to you that he'd be played in U/B Control and you were doubtful of that?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gensuki posted:

Narset will be opened more than Ugin but she will also be a modern staple and Ugin isn't...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

If only I knew the exchange rate on defunct currencies.

Should be same as it was when it went defunct, right. One potential exception would be the Greek Drachma, where there's a chance it will get re-instated at the event of Greece leaving the Eurozone.

Got some prices of the dragons, in Swedish Kroner?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
So, with Evolving Wilds spoiled it looks like we won't be getting enemy fetches in Dragons. However, there are 5 spare slots on the sheet since the official set size is 264. Maybe we'll get a chance of Fate-shifted fetches in the basic land slot?

I'd be surprised, but it's possible that they'll announce the next fall set at Pax East this weekend. I think it's unlikely considering they'll likely cover Dragons, Origins, and MM15, but a name wouldn't hurt. This is fairly early for the announcement but not without precedence. Though, it's probably more likely we'll get a Fall '15 set announcement on MM15's release weekend.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Emerson Cod posted:

So, with Evolving Wilds spoiled it looks like we won't be getting enemy fetches in Dragons. However, there are 5 spare slots on the sheet since the official set size is 264.

Can someone explain how we know the number of land slots?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Hey remember when Ugin was spoiled and I had to point out to you that he'd be played in U/B Control and you were doubtful of that?

Well, obviously, you are smarter and better at Magic than I am; I imagine you are also better looking.

I will now (not) stop providing extensive reasons why this card doesn't slot right into an already non-competitive deck.

Rinkles posted:

Can someone explain how we know the number of land slots?

The order of cards by color and type always stays the same and is listed in alphabetical order. Basic lands are numbered separately from nonbasic lands and put at the very end (there are always 3 of each basic in large sets). Therefore, if Evolving Wilds is 249/264, there aren't any non-basics after it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 4, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Reprint Path in Dragons.

And then I'll be sad when it has new art that's cooler than my Event Deck/Modern Masters ones. :(

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Tarkir 3.33: You can (not) speculate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, obviously, you are smarter and better at Magic than I am; I imagine you are also better looking.

I will now (not) stop providing extensive reasons why this card doesn't slot right into an already non-competitive deck.

There is literally zero value in trying to fit a new card, especially one from a large set, into the current standard matagame.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

Tarkir 3.33: You can (not) speculate.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Evolving Wilds first appeared in the block with fetchlands and is limited fodder for drafting an ally color set with a three color set.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

The order of cards by color and type always stays the same and is listed in alphabetical order. Basic lands are numbered separately from nonbasic lands and put at the very end (there are always 3 of each basic in large sets). Therefore, if Evolving Wilds is 249/264, there aren't any non-basics after it.

That doesn't exclude nonbasics alphabetically before Evolving Wilds. Though it does exclude the Enemy Fetches.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

There is literally zero value in trying to fit a new card, especially one from a large set, into the current standard matagame.

My custom Bitterblossom playmat is pretty good in my LGS's matagame.

Cernunnos posted:

That doesn't exclude nonbasics alphabetically before Evolving Wilds. Though it does exclude the Enemy Fetches.

Yeah, there could be a cycle that's like Temples that all have the same naming convention.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite matagame is the one with this mat:

gently caress that actual format tho

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Not that it matters for Zendikar fetchlands, but isn't it 248 on EW? It's tiny, maybe I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Not that it matters for Zendikar fetchlands, but isn't it 248 on EW? It's tiny, maybe I'm wrong.

I was just making up a number (that seemed close to what I remembered) to explain how it worked. I don't actually know the specific numbers (I got close) other than a lot of people indicated it ruled out fetchlands unless there are less than 15 basics (presumably you need at least 4 slots behind Evolving Wilds for Marsh Flats, Misty Rainforest, Scalding Tarn, Verdant Catacombs).

So it actually is 248/264 - that means its the second to last non-basic assuming 15 basic lands (since Forest would be 250).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread