Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Frank Dillinger posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/running-driving-stopping-old-70-galaxie-ragtop/1054354908?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

it would be a pretty bad idea to buy this solely for the purpose of driving it to BC for an extended camping/road trip, right? right?

edit: nnnnnggghhhh and there's like three Lincoln Continentals near me for less than two grand. always wanted a huge V8 car, just for kicks. my sidewalk parking spot was looking kind of empty anyway.

Top down in the snow for photos, engine running so you can see the smoke - I like this seller's style!

quote:

First $1800.00 cash or trade up, down or across
Buy this car, and throw in another $10 to get the seller a membership here.

Powershift posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1988-rolls-royce-silver-spur/1054958414

looks like it's going unreserved this saturday.

you know you want it.

This is glorious.

EDIT: A quick google leads me to think the Rolls will sell for $20K-$30K.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Goddamn that Rolls

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

Top down in the snow for photos, engine running so you can see the smoke - I like this seller's style!

This is glorious.

EDIT: A quick google leads me to think the Rolls will sell for $20K-$30K.

Nothing has ever sold for $30k at regal. I would think it'll go for 10-12 tops.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Nothing has ever sold for $30k at regal. I would think it'll go for 10-12 tops.
I just asked a question in the BFC-meets-AI thread about putting together $8K for a car in Onterrible (I'm moving there in a few weeks). You are NOT HELPING with the treacherous part of my brain that thinks one Alberta-registered car (Chysler 300M) is as good as any other (Rolls Royce Silver Spur) for switching to Ontario and passing safety and whatnot.

The next car I own - which the non-idiotic part of my brain says I will buy in Ontario in April or May - will need to carry a canoe, bomb down gravel and dirt roads in TSD rallies and other adventures, and generally put a smile on my face. The Roller would do that in fantastic style (picture that car with a green canoe on it - go on, I'll wait. Don't forget the nice layer of mud up both sides as high as the windows) and I can get to Calgary easily.

The auction starts at 11:00am, a surprisingly reasonable hour, and they allow internet bids. The excitable moron in the back of my head is SCREAMING at me right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I just asked a question in the BFC-meets-AI thread about putting together $8K for a car in Onterrible (I'm moving there in a few weeks). You are NOT HELPING with the treacherous part of my brain that thinks one Alberta-registered car (Chysler 300M) is as good as any other (Rolls Royce Silver Spur) for switching to Ontario and passing safety and whatnot.

The next car I own - which the non-idiotic part of my brain says I will buy in Ontario in April or May - will need to carry a canoe, bomb down gravel and dirt roads in TSD rallies and other adventures, and generally put a smile on my face. The Roller would do that in fantastic style (picture that car with a green canoe on it - go on, I'll wait. Don't forget the nice layer of mud up both sides as high as the windows) and I can get to Calgary easily.

The auction starts at 11:00am, a surprisingly reasonable hour, and they allow internet bids. The excitable moron in the back of my head is SCREAMING at me right now.

TSD rallies and gravel road canoe hauling you say.....

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ExecuDork posted:

I don't think that's smoke, looks like condensation to me? anyway, emailed him, gonna look at it tomorrow if he every gets back to me with his address. summer beater ahoy!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That Lincoln would be great with a non flashy plastidip coating on it.

Edit: not paying attention. Not a Lincoln. Although basically a Lincoln.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Frank Dillinger posted:

I don't think that's smoke, looks like condensation to me? anyway, emailed him, gonna look at it tomorrow if he every gets back to me with his address. summer beater ahoy!
Good to hear it. Yeah, by "smoke" I meant "visible exhaust" which is, yes, composed mainly of condensing water vapour. Though obviously that car *could* be burning oil, I kinda doubt it.

I'm agreeing with jonathan - non flashy plastidip would look great. Or flashy - lime green comes to mind.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been thinking of doing a side business doing plastidip coating poo poo. The investment is low and overhead is almost non existent. And the product itself doesn't require the skills of a master painter

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jonathan posted:

I've been thinking of doing a side business doing plastidip coating poo poo. The investment is low and overhead is almost non existent. And the product itself doesn't require the skills of a master painter

There's enough of a market for it. I've always wondered how difficult it is to balance plastidipped rims though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I'm currently balancing pros and cons of a plastidip or Maaco paint job. Probably about the same longevity, hahaha

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was in Redcliff today and had to do a double take as I was leaving town. I saw a hoarder with about 15 Fieros in his compound in various states of disrepair, including a 1988 GT. Why? :iiam:

jonathan posted:

I think that would be neat to dabble in. If you plan on doing it out of your house though either go legit and get a business license (and take the tax perks) or don't advertise and keep it under the radar. I would like to do the rims on my bike in black but :effort:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a couple places in edmonton and calgary that do it. I can't imagine how many people there are that would want it done but wouldn't do it themselves.

I really don't see the point of it. I've plastidipped rims and stuff. it's not all that durable, and there have been cases of it pulling clearcoat off when it comes off.

With that convertible, it wouldn't be that much more difficult to do a nice single stage eastwood paint job that looks better than plastidip, and lasts 10 years.

i've been considering plastidipping the chrome/stainless bits on my lincoln to protect it, and make it a little less flashy. maybe in copper or just matte clear.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would consider doing on my bike rims because I managed to put a gouge in it and it pisses me off each time I see it :argh:

Besides, it's a street bike and it generally only sees good roads so it would probably last a pretty long time. Pulling the clear off is a concern though if that's true, never heard it before but I'll assume you have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've done the rims on my car and truck.

It works ok on wheels, not that durable, but if it's a paintable surface, it makes far, far more sense to just nut up and paint it.

So this summer, should i be an old man

or a pimp

or a drug dealer

Just messing around in gimp, was gonna do all the chrome but oh lord, there is so much.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 6, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'd like "drug dealer" with some different wheels and a little less ride height. But maybe that's because I'm a child?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm always searching for different wheels locally, but it shares a bolt pattern with jeeps, chevy pickups, and astrovans, so all the choices are TEEEEEEEEERRIBLE.

The 16 year old in my wants to just black it out and run d-slots or soft 8s.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

I'm always searching for different wheels locally, but it shares a bolt pattern with jeeps, chevy pickups, and astrovans, so all the choices are TEEEEEEEEERRIBLE.

The 16 year old in my wants to just black it out and run d-slots or soft 8s.

5 on 5? There are all sorts of options. 'Course, I had soft eights in mind, but there seem to be a number of truck wheels that look pretty similar but are aluminum.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those on a Lincoln just make it look like a massive mulletmobile though. The only real old school wheels i think would look okay are grey salt flat specials, or chrome smoothies.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If you're not rollin' on Daytons and big pimpin' in your black gold Lincoln this summer, you're dead to me. DEAD TO ME

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

Those on a Lincoln just make it look like a massive mulletmobile though. The only real old school wheels i think would look okay are grey salt flat specials, or chrome smoothies.

Yeah I guess I'm OK with mullets. I had Centerlines on my Impala for awhile.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Drug dealer, completely blacked out (the term "murdered out" is stupid but fits in this case), with these wheels:

also blacked out.

My GF at the time got a Mark V as the loaner when her crappy little Hyundai was in the shop in Vancouver for transmission work. She called me in a panic because she didn't think she could berth park that monster; I got to drive that thing around for a few days and it was glorious. If they didn't have such catastrophically bad fuel consumption I would be seriously considering one.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 6, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I was in Redcliff today and had to do a double take as I was leaving town. I saw a hoarder with about 15 Fieros in his compound in various states of disrepair, including a 1988 GT. Why? :iiam:

This is how I'm gonna go out.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Underpowered, on fire, wearing a knockoff italian suit?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, but people will claim my last year was the best one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What the gently caress kijiji, why won't any of you answer my texts, phone calls, or emails.

It's like you don't want me to give you thousands of dollars for your loving trucks.

Buying a used 3/4 or 1 ton should not be this hard in Alberta.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's not, just go to an auction, pick one, buy it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slung Blade posted:

What the gently caress kijiji, why won't any of you answer my texts, phone calls, or emails.

It's like you don't want me to give you thousands of dollars for your loving trucks.

Buying a used 3/4 or 1 ton should not be this hard in Alberta.

Generally poo poo people. "Oh that truck got sold weeks ago" Well then wtf do you have the ad up ?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

How much do they usually go for? I'm in the market for a beat to poo poo half ton for hauling my car around.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

How much do they usually go for? I'm in the market for a beat to poo poo half ton for hauling my car around.

When i bought my king ranch, i got it for 15k. similar trucks were listed on kijiji for 20-22k. by dealers for 28-30k. In 09 i bought a 2005 f-150 extended cab with 116k kms for $7700. Both at michener allen.

There's an auction at regal in calgary every saturday. auctions are fun even if you aren't buying anything, and not a bad way to spend a sunny saturday.

Sometimes stuff goes stupid cheap at CPA, they have an auction on the 10th http://www.canadianpublicauction.com/

i bought a 99 powerstroke from ritchie bros last year for $750 as non-running, and it runs perfectly.

Sometimes you get stupid lucky.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

i bought a 99 powerstroke from ritchie bros last year for $750 as non-running, and it runs perfectly.

Sometimes you get stupid lucky.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. As long as it has cruise control and isn't on fire I'm fine with it.

Wanted to check out Regal for some time. Maybe once Ice rallycross is done I'll head out for a saturday.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a fuckton of unreserved trucks in tomorrow's sale

http://www.regalauctions.com/upcomingauctions.php?sale=030715

There are 3 07 f-150s with 180-200k kms. I would bet they'll go for under 5 grand.

Check for rust around the gas cap. smooth steering lock to lock, and phaser tick, you'll know it if you hear it. If you buy it and it's got the original spark plugs, you might break a few getting them out, but i have the tool to remove what gets stuck.

Buying poo poo from auctions is pretty much gambling though.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
So, looked at the car. Top works, engine runs great, tranny seems to operate fine. Of course, the body is full of filler, and there's rust in most of the nooks and crannies I looked in. Also all of the weatherstripping is dry rotted out and the dash is cracked. Pretty sure it sat in a field for a long while before some guy pulled it out, filled the obvious holes, and primered it before putting it up for sale.

Gonna throw out a lowball, see what happens.

EDIT: nope, not even a little bit :(

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 7, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Most got back to me last night. Test drove a 2003 gmc last night, wasn't a fan of that one. Price was OK.

Drove a 2007 chev 2500 this morning, 4x4, 209k, simple options, but still has ac and cruise, extended cab, acceptable rockers, good frame, box, minor rock chips on the hood. Might need a ball joint or some front end work, tiny little thunk on bumps. Good rubber. Bought it at 5300. Pretty happy with that. Just need to get it insured and registered now...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well looks like spring has spring. Absolutely no snow left at all, gophers are out chirping away and most chucklefucks including me are breaking the bikes out

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Whats the purpose of insurance inspection in this province? Is it for registering a used vehicle only? Some ads have inspection included, do they just do PPI out of the goodness of their hearts?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iv46vi posted:

Whats the purpose of insurance inspection in this province? Is it for registering a used vehicle only? Some ads have inspection included, do they just do PPI out of the goodness of their hearts?

some insurance companies require an insurance inspection if a car is 12 years old or older. a lot of companies are dropping the requirement because it's dumb and wasteful.

This is the only form they're allowed to use.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I had to get an insurance inspection on and old truck I had. The truck had 500 000 km on it, three shocks that were connected to the chassis, and the tires were utterly worn out. Passed with flying colours.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That surprises me. In my experience the techs that put their cert # on those forms take it pretty seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Not the insurance inspection, in my experience - OOP certainly (since they can make some serious money from it).

Insurance inspection is laughably bad in this province, and - judging from the people I see selling used cars crowing about how they passed the insurance inspection with flying colours - potentially dangerous.