Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
patch of the night

https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/20brute-big-chords

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
sooooooo i bought bitwig studio. i've only had about five minutes to dick around in it, but everything i've tried so far i like bitwig's way better than the way logic, reaper, or sonar do it. really going to dig in sometime soon and try to wrap my brain around the built-in automation stuff, which was the main reason i bought it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
okay so i wasted about thirty minutes this morning playing with bitwig modulation when i should have been working and whoa

if only it had AU support i might never use logic again, but god dammit sometimes a man need his sinevibes

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
bitwig's p cool, but I've been using Live for years now. see no reason in switching over. use what u know etc

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah i just haven't been super happy with a daw since moving to mac. bitwig is prob my favorite so far. never really got into live, it's just more than i'm willing to pay for a daw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
live is fun, but i always gravitate towards loopy clip based tracks when i get in there.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonny 290 posted:

live is fun, but i always gravitate towards loopy clip based tracks when i get in there.

i do this too. i think i really need to force myself to stay away from that live clip launching view from now on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont believe in clips for my own personal music makings

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im not against them per se, just not me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i make 'dance music' so if i ever want a thing played out by a DJ it's gotta be on the fuckin' beat. otherwise, yeah, lets roll tape and rock out

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

i dont believe in clips for my own personal music makings

I might use them to lay out an idea or add a bit of something in the background but unless I was making dance music or something jokey I wouldn't put a track out with my name on it that was noticeably clippy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hang on what are clips

whoops

i thbought you meant samples

heh by clip you mean, indefinteiyl repeating things, change sometimes maybe but your song is an arrangement of those

oih yeah i fuckin live by them

what a mrones

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

make a song out of hundreds of sound pieces varying 50-2000ms

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i've discovered that my favourite thing to do is to play lots of loopy boxes (volcas, microbrute) make live sequences and then play synth and piano along with them. i've only done it live, people liked it a lot, but i don't think it would work anywhere near as well if it was recorded. that's mainly because i'm not that good. i need 2 work on my keyb skills

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm not a musician. i'm a musician't

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister posted:

someone please recommend me one of those half size midi keyboard controllers tia

please and thank you

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got Logic last year because the Arturia collection was half off and I didn't have a DAW. I put zero thought into what I wanted in a daw and didn't know Bitwit existed. Maybe I'll take a look some time, I dunno.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

a note! if you get the recent AKAI controllers with the little square pads, they are going to be too sensitive or not enough, and you might need to openthem up and put in paper shims to adjust this.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

please and thank you

irig keys suck rear end don't get those

I don't have much opinion other than that. Had an oxygen 61 but ditched it for a novation for aftertouch and expression pedal support. tbh I would up not caring for aftertouch cuz it's more pressure than I thoguht but remapping the pedal to do aftertouch abilities has worked great

none of this applies to your situation tho! I just use my ms20 mini keyboard right now :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i want more kraftwerk and every other krautrock band of the era is worthless avant garde poo poo

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Tayter Swift posted:

i want more kraftwerk and every other krautrock band of the era is worthless avant garde poo poo

kraftwerk is NOT krautrock!!!!!!!!!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Olivil posted:

kraftwerk is NOT krautrock!!!!!!!!!!
the vlc album is, it's also poo poo

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g3xQw5ZJjc

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
why after an hour reviewing those things did gaz never play pocket calculator

(because they can't play any anything that's not in a minor :cawg: )

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
my a4 is here yaaaaay :)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

this is p neat
http://blog.josephwilk.net/clojure/overtone-driving-minecraft.html
https://vimeo.com/120907923

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Tayter Swift posted:

my a4 is here yaaaaay :)

arr nice

i'm hankering after the analkeys

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bobbilljim posted:

make everything with 808s ONLY

DM1 on ipad is good at this except it sounds cooler with a DRX-1 sample set

i made this on the toilet

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/poo-wav

i can export that into garageband and add like instruments and stuff too

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

DM1 on ipad is good at this except it sounds cooler with a DRX-1 sample set

i made this on the toilet

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/poo-wav

i can export that into garageband and add like instruments and stuff too

needs fart hits

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
oh wow how did i miss a beep boop music thread in yospos i do beep boop music all the time https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/rbm-from-inner-space

Flat Daddy posted:

nobody has mentioned it yet but reason 5 owns bowns btw when used like a vst for ableton. hook it up w rewire. i made a max4live instrument to give u the combinator front panel from inside ableton so u can twiddle the knobs

lookit this scrub with his old-rear end pirated reason

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

killhamster posted:

oh wow how did i miss a beep boop music thread in yospos i do beep boop music all the time https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/rbm-from-inner-space

lookit this scrub with his old-rear end pirated reason

its the version before they turned it into a full blown DAW with recording and audio editing and other poo poo i dont need.

i stopped following updates on it when they merged it with Record

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 7, 2015

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
oh i know i've been using it since 2.5 came out

i finally paid for it after they locked it with that damned dongle

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

please and thank you

roland a-300 pro

akai and novation feel cheap

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
bitwig modulation is giving me a serious boner. just being able to easily chuck a step modulator onto any aspect of a synth or effect or multiple parameters simultaneously, and then have an lfo mod the step modulator...dang

chuck separate step modulators onto a bunch of parameters for each of your drum tracks with # steps set to different prime numbers = constantly evolving drum tracks that don't repeat for a long time. adding lfo modulators to modulate the step modulators = drum tracks that don't repeat for days

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Trig Discipline posted:

bitwig modulation is giving me a serious boner. just being able to easily chuck a step modulator onto any aspect of a synth or effect or multiple parameters simultaneously, and then have an lfo mod the step modulator...dang

yeah owns.
i've been using Live for so many years now, im not gonna switch, but bitwig seems p neat! the devs seem to know what theyre doing as well

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i've run into a few issues that i hope get fixed, but for a 1.x release it's amazing

things that do bug me:
-no video support
-no au support
-goddamn it transport keyboard shortcuts should be global, i shouldn't have to click in the arrange window to stop playback using space
-seems to get bugged out by running more than one instance of bfd2 but only in a minor way
-would like to be able to organize vsts into folders

the first two of those are things that might actually keep me from using it for some projects, but they've already said au support is probably going to happen eventually and i assume that's true of video too. balance those against the p amazing modulation feature set and a much nicer interface than any of the other daws i own (logic, reaper, audition) for p much everything, and i can see myself using bitwig for everything except when i'm forced to use logic

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i just plugged my a4 into my computer and started a sysex backup

oh my loving god why is this so slooooooooow

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

no au support sucks and i might wait until thats in

does bitwig have any way for effects to be post fader? i really like soundradix pi but it needs to be post fader to work correctly and im sick of having to send the output of each channel to a seperate aux with pi on it just to use the faders in logic

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

i just plugged my a4 into my computer and started a sysex backup

oh my loving god why is this so slooooooooow

midi is the fastest protocol 1979 could afford :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Forums Terrorist posted:

midi is the fastest protocol 1979 could afford :q: