Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

If u got Guy problems I feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but a kitsch ain't one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
More like Zero Vision.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Wasn't Guy Sebastian's whole Australian Idol thing backed like gently caress by Hillsong?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
People who watch Eurovision are literally worse than Adolf Hitler. Fact

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Been reading through the #sbseurovision tweets and there is two reactions. One is people complaining about it being Guy Sebastian and the other is complaining about TISM being robbed.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Anidav posted:

More like Zero Vision.

Your avatar hasn't changed yet today. You're obviously doing something wrong.

Housechat: The biggest issue I have personally with renting in Australia is that it doesn't matter how long you've lived somewhere, you've always got a Sword of Damocles hanging over your tenancy in that your landlord can just decline to renew a fixed-term or issue a notice of termination on a periodic with no need to provide any justification, just "yeah but nah gently caress off mate".

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I did that to my tenants once, 2months into a 6 month lease told them to get out.

In WA it just requires 67 days notice

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
In SA you can't end a fixed lease early without cause, but you can decline to renew it at the end with 28 days notice. Periodic leases can be terminated any time without cause with 90 days notice.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

It's almost as though the entire system were set up to benefit the landed gentry...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Can't we just copy the Japanese where each block of land is owned by a small group of samurai? That system totally worked out for the Shogun.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Someone at the ABC is reading this thread - this afternoon on Hack (5:30 triplej) they're talking about how the housing market is poo poo for younger people. They even specifically had a spew about how boomers have hosed it for the rest of us.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Apparently TPP is 49-51 LNP / Lab. Oh, the leftist media has been waging jihad against the LNP

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lol, that would be a rogue (or fake) poll if it turns out to be true. They never swing that far, unless there was a scandal involving bob swindler that we didn't notice

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

CrazyTolradi posted:

Wasn't Guy Sebastian's whole Australian Idol thing backed like gently caress by Hillsong?

Pretty much. I've had several people who were either involved or had family that were involved tell me that the church would tell people that that they needed to vote for him, and used their enormous piles of money to run an sms voting campaign.

This was through Paradise Community Church. I've never been religious, but I wound up there one and found it absolutely terrifying. It's a well oiled and high tech brainwashing/money extraction machine.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Birb Katter posted:

Apparently TPP is 49-51 LNP / Lab. Oh, the leftist media has been waging jihad against the LNP

Isn't that last line dangerously close to a Star Wars quote.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

norp posted:

Lol, that would be a rogue (or fake) poll if it turns out to be true. They never swing that far, unless there was a scandal involving bob swindler that we didn't notice

It's the Fairfax-Ipsos poll that everyone was talking about on Sunday (the post is dated March 1), and the result was indeed 49-51. Yes it's probably an outlier since we haven't had any other polls this week (bear in mind the margin of error on this one is 2.6%), but it's definitely a true story at least.

Disclaimer: I've worked in opinion polling and market research for 16 years and ran the Fairfax-Nielsen poll for 4 years.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Les Affaires posted:

It's almost as though the entire system were set up to benefit the landed gentry...

They have to die eventually, right? Right??

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Guy Sebastian's off to Eurovision.

This actually makes sense. Guy is a Eurovision calibre singer.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Old Johnny Howard admitted to hospital with heart problems.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Night Shade posted:

Horcruxes and Phylacteries.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I just found out that the last first dog someone posted was taglined "First Dog: Facts about how data retention is bad in an easy and fun to consume format"

I think we all missed the joke

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Same thing happened here, a friend from England who worked for Unilever got sent for a 9month placement to Rome and the other staff there (all Italians) were super lovely at her, just treated her like crap and accused her of stealing jobs. I guess it was bad timing to send a new placement over at a time when they had just announced they were laying off like 3/4 of the department. But then again, apparently the Italian office is just remarkably unproductive and ineffective, so you can't blame Unilever for trimming some fat
Well I would and do. Cutting headcount is bad management. Unless you are in R&D or something like it your workers are what are adding value to your product and/or services. Cutting your workforce reduces your capacity to produce value within your company. The people who add no value in a business are the sales staff but even the dullest of managers won't cut sales staff because they can actually figure out that less sales = less money. Cutting head count improves the business bottom line at the cost of the business capacity to generate value. Once you have gotten to head count you need to have done everything else first. There are legitimately occasions when a market shrinks and there are no possible options but I would argue these are fleetingly rare (You can diversify, ask government for assistance, develop the market, move into new market segments, redeploy workers to more profitable areas of the company {etc.}). The sunk costs in staff and corporate knowledge are enormous in any case. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

NTRabbit posted:

I'm not sure you know how beards or orchards work :crossarms:
I certainly use a slasher in my orchard.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

People who watch Eurovision are literally worse than Adolf Hitler. Fact
People who ~care~ about Eurovision are the real bad apples. While I am offended beyond all reason by this unfair treatment of TISM, Guy Sebastian smacks of us trying to win which is anathema to great Eurovision.

Somewhat housing bubble related.

http://www.rba.gov.au/media-releases/2015/mr-15-03.html

tl;dr - To prevent further overheating in both the residential and commercial property sectors of some capital cities the RBA can't cut rates despite it being required for a broader recovery.

Another complicating factor in all of this, and I hate to be the one to say it, is that the three main macroeconomic reforms that would assist the structural deficit are: Altering negative gearing, altering the Capital Gains Tax Concessions and restructuring the Superannuation system. It is arguable that so doing might cause the shock that bursts the property bubble. Certainly if one were to alter the settings and the bubble was then to burst everyone would point to this as the cause. *sigh*

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-05/intergenerational-report-to-be-released/6281598

The intergenerational report is shaping up to be an even more blatantly partisan exercise than the last one. Joke Hockey's assumptions are even more ridiculous than in the MYEFO. but don't be disheartened!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/leading-research-facilities-face/6281760

We will have crashed the future viability of all segments of the Australian economy into the mountains (mining excluded) long before 2050.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/christopher-pyne-on-higher-education-reforms/6281994

As Chris Pyne outright excludes any possibility of not being a wrecker unless he can get a good kicking in.

Angry Petulant Muppet Government

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 5, 2015

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

You're going to die in a firestorm which will be found to have been avoidable if not for massive budget cuts 12 months prior.

Nah, I'm close enough to Albany that I'm pretty safe, and if fire does get here then the whole of town is pretty hosed.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Night Shade posted:

Yep, at which point their shithead kids will inherit everything. Enjoy!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
If you anti-Eurovision shitfucks have a problem with Conchita Wurst then I'll fight you outside Central Station at 11pm tonight, just you and me settling the score like gentlemen

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
A pic for housing chat

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Night Shade posted:

In SA you can't end a fixed lease early without cause, but you can decline to renew it at the end with 28 days notice. Periodic leases can be terminated any time without cause with 90 days notice.

in QLD, you're required to give 2 months notice or the end of the lease period, whichever is later. Two months is a lot more breathing room than 28 days, from personal experience.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

norp posted:

I just found out that the last first dog someone posted was taglined "First Dog: Facts about how data retention is bad in an easy and fun to consume format"

I think we all missed the joke

I saw it and went all :ironicat: but couldn't be bothered to actually make a post about First Dog again.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Mad Katter posted:

Pretty much. I've had several people who were either involved or had family that were involved tell me that the church would tell people that that they needed to vote for him, and used their enormous piles of money to run an sms voting campaign.

This was through Paradise Community Church. I've never been religious, but I wound up there one and found it absolutely terrifying. It's a well oiled and high tech brainwashing/money extraction machine.

One of my old workmates was a devout attender of Hillsong and I made the mistake of adding him on Facebook one day. Pretty much everything he posted gave me the impression of what someone would be like if they were in a cult, it was surreal.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bifauxnen posted:

I saw it and went all :ironicat: but couldn't be bothered to actually make a post about First Dog again.

Rule Number one of First Dog is you don't post about First Dog.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

CrazyTolradi posted:

One of my old workmates was a devout attender of Hillsong and I made the mistake of adding him on Facebook one day. Pretty much everything he posted gave me the impression of what someone would be like if they were in a cult, it was surreal.
About 90% of my uni friends were in Hillsong. UNSW is a magical place.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

CrazyTolradi posted:

It's never a mistake adding these sorts of people, they are fascinating. Also they keep you plugged into parts of society that you would otherwise have no idea about, even if it makes you wish said society would just slide into the pacific ocean.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

It's never a mistake adding these sorts of people, they are fascinating. Also they keep you plugged into parts of society that you would otherwise have no idea about, even if it makes you wish said society would just slide into the pacific ocean.

That's why my Facebook friends list comprises entirely of members of the Australian defence league

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

That's why my Facebook friends list comprises entirely of members of the Australian defence league

Opening your FB must be pretty akin to opening the ark of the covenant.

A list of insane ramblings from a racist, sexist, violent shithead then your face melts off.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hooman posted:

A list of insane ramblings from a racist, sexist, violent shithead then your face melts off.

Well what was I expected to do once soag left

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

So you've met my Dad then.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

Well what was I expected to do once soag left

All I'm saying is there are lot of farts that are suddenly and tragically remaining unhuffed.

Cartoon posted:

So you've met my Dad then.

Cartoons Upcoming TV Show: Shits my dad does.

Also horrible dads on FB are the worst. :sympathy:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Tokamak posted:

This actually makes sense. Guy is a Eurovision calibre singer.
poo poo yeah, dress him in a drag gimp suit, add in some pyrotechnics... then have TISM gatecrash in the chorus and have Ron Hitler-Barassi ride him around stage like a pony.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Years back my sister had a friend take her off to Hillsong... later that night she was going to Mardi Gras.

She told my mum, and I can still vividly remember her panicked expression:

"Don't tell your father about Hillsong"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/tony-abbott-is-a-car-crash-of-a-human-being-says-comedian-john-oliver-20150302-13sog5.html

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

We're all going to die.

Joe Hockey posted:

So how can the government help? Well we need to enable consumers. Consumers are on the march, consumers are changing the world through the use of technology. They are disintermediating every day life and government and regulation, and consumers need to be empowered. They need to be sovereign. We’ve got to facilitate change rather than restrict change and that is a problem facing governments everywhere in the world

Consumers of australia lend me your upvotes.

• Locked thread