Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I like how Fitz and Simmons are literally on each side of the Civil War. Keeps things nice and neat for people that don't know it's coming. Well, with Simmons being a wee bit more genocidal, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
She'll probably mellow out a bit once Skye comes out, but it still provides a nice foundation for her to be pro-reg in a civil war storyline down the road.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Oh fitz you idiot, faking her blood results. There's only going to be pain and suffering from that.

Slashrat posted:

She'll probably mellow out a bit once Skye comes out, but it still provides a nice foundation for her to be pro-reg in a civil war storyline down the road.

Or she'll go over the deep end at being betrayed by fitz and skye.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

7thBatallion posted:

Well, with Simmons being a wee bit more genocidal, but still.

i didn't get that impression. I'm sure she'd be fine with removing their powers only.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Do we know who Gordon and Raina are based on from the comics? Or, like many of the characters, were just created for usage in the MCU?

That said, this show just keeps picking up more and more steam. That episode was right on point, and as an added bonus, it has picked up a pacing that rivals Arrow (which is a great thing). Although I do adore the comically overdone branding by Hydra members.

And since this show has been heavily tied in to the movies, I'm really intrigued to see what sort of tie-ins we get now that an actual Avengers movie is back on the table. Unless they stay with Inhumans and the whole 'survivors' aspect that was teased in the stingers to one of the other movies. Can't remember if it was Thor 2 or Cap 2 where that was mentioned.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Of course Fury needs the toolbox back, he's going to have to deal with Ultron in 2 months

I am so happy this show is back. I loved Agent Carter, but it's nice to get back to SHEILD. And I am still so bummed Tripp died. Though I'm surprised he and Simmons didn't get together just before he died. That would be a much more Joss way to go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doronin posted:

And since this show has been heavily tied in to the movies, I'm really intrigued to see what sort of tie-ins we get now that an actual Avengers movie is back on the table. Unless they stay with Inhumans and the whole 'survivors' aspect that was teased in the stingers to one of the other movies. Can't remember if it was Thor 2 or Cap 2 where that was mentioned.
At the end of Cap 2 we saw Strucker (the head of HYDRA, who was namedropped in this episode and a few others) experimenting on Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch who are presumed to be Inhumans and who will be in AoU.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Doronin posted:

Do we know who Gordon and Raina are based on from the comics? Or, like many of the characters, were just created for usage in the MCU?

It has been speculated before that Raina is a reinterpretation of the comics character of the same name. Though her origin is different in the comics, their powers and general (post-transformation) appearance is similar.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

The Yellow Ant posted:

Eight year old hackneyed social commentary, nice.

I thought that was a Buffy reference - when her mum finds out about her being a vampire slayer she says "Have you tried not being a Slayer?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's from X-Men 2 which is actually 12 years old now.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Nice to see Shield finally straight up murdering Hydra dudes, both goons and leadership. Very solid tactic by Coulson too, nice to see him get a win.

Skye having to hide her powers from the team and everyone flipping out when it comes out is a great setup to her running to the arms of Skyedad, so I'm all for it. It's probably the best place for her, actually, since Shield is basically never going to trust someone with powers who isn't a full on world saving Avenger, and I feel like her dad would be a lot less crazy once they're together, probably just chill out in some cabin in the middle of nowhere and train her powers. Simmons as a power-hating person is an interesting choice, it doesn't bother me since she has seen all this traumatic stuff lately stemming from Inhumans and she's kind of combining an emotional response with a scientific one (it's a plague, we need to end the infection, etc.) As it is, we're going to get a super badass save-the-day power moment from Skye in the finale, the team will accept her, and we're good to go for season 3, though given the ratings they'll probably make something that works as a decent series finale as well.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

It's from X-Men 2 which is actually 12 years old now.

If anything X-Men 2 ripped it from Buffy since it aired 5 years before. Both situations of super powered people "coming out" to their parents.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At the end of Cap 2 we saw Strucker (the head of HYDRA, who was namedropped in this episode and a few others) experimenting on Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch who are presumed to be Inhumans and who will be in AoU.

That makes perfect sense. I guess that ties up too neatly not to continue fleshing out till we get to AOU in a few weeks.

Slashrat posted:

It has been speculated before that Raina is a reinterpretation of the comics character of the same name. Though her origin is different in the comics, their powers and general (post-transformation) appearance is similar.

Interesting. Especially since it looks like she originated in X-Men comics, if that's indeed her basis. Although of course she debuted by the time I wasn't reading/collecting the comics, and I never had much knowledge of Savage Land stuff for some reason. I guess at some point I'll have to read up a little more on her.

Since it seems a lot of X characters have some hazy usage rights, like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, I guess they might be utilizing more lesser characters now to keep them away from Fox?

Doronin fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 4, 2015

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I think Simmons' deal managed to sell well enough why people in the Marvel universe might hate mutants but are totally fine with people like the Fantastic Four. Also, I hope the things Avengers 2 sets up gives them a way to make the show take another giant leap in quality because aaaaaaa.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Feige has flat out stated in interviews that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are not Inhumans.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

If anything X-Men 2 ripped it from Buffy since it aired 5 years before. Both situations of super powered people "coming out" to their parents.

Well it's not like Buffy thought of "Have you tried not being gay?" either.

I meant he was probably specifically referencing X-Men though. This is a Marvel thread after all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Double Agent posted:

Hunter shot Hunter. :v:

Ahahaha thanks for spelling this out, I knew his face from somewhere but didn't quite recognize him!

BIRDKNIFE
Aug 18, 2014
Remember when Simmons was infected with that alien virus back in FZZT and almost killed herself? That would mess a person up.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Nephthys posted:

I'm amazed no-one has suggested it yet so I'm just gonna jump to the raddest option available: Bobbi and Mac are Skrulls.

As much as I would love for that to be true, wouldn't they have figured out Mac isn't human after his post-Inhuman quarantine?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tuxedo Jack posted:

As much as I would love for that to be true, wouldn't they have figured out Mac isn't human after his post-Inhuman quarantine?

Maybe Skrull dna can precisely mimic....I know nothing of Skrull physiology and am a terrible bullshitter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Even Reed Richards (supposedly the smartest person alive in Marvel) could barely figure out a way to test if someone was a Skrull, so if someone was a Skrull in MCU, they could probably pass any DNA test you gave them.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Doronin posted:

That said, this show just keeps picking up more and more steam. That episode was right on point, and as an added bonus, it has picked up a pacing that rivals Arrow (which is a great thing). Although I do adore the comically overdone branding by Hydra members.

I am under the impression since Inhumans (the movie) doesn't come out until 2019 (!), that Marvel Studios is using "inhumans" as its cover for "mutant".

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Nephthys posted:

I'm amazed no-one has suggested it yet so I'm just gonna jump to the raddest option available: Bobbi and Mac are Skrulls.

I thought Marvel doesn't have the rights to the Skrulls because they're tied up with Fantastic Four movie rights?

mikeraskol posted:

Feige has flat out stated in interviews that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are not Inhumans.

Oh I hadn't heard this before. I assumed they were and it was yet another way to build up the Inhuman world in the MCU. I have forgotten at this point. Is it confirmed or is it still just rumor that Loki's scepter is an Infinity Gem?

Darth Ballz posted:

I am under the impression since Inhumans (the movie) doesn't come out until 2019 (!), that Marvel Studios is using "inhumans" as its cover for "mutant".

Yeah mutants are tied into the X-Men franchise so the MCU has been going whole hog on the whole Inhumans thing.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Emerson Cod posted:

Pretty sure Bobbi and Mac are going to form/are working for SWORD.

I would be so down for Abigail Brand showing up and I wouldn't be surprised if SWORD showed up in the MCU down the line, once the Cosmic stuff crosses over with the Earth stuff down the line.

Agent 33 becoming Madame Hydra would be awesome (more Ming-Na Wen is always good!) and she's got the facial scar. And of course, they could build up to this - they did say that they are fans of Secret Warriors:

:3:

This episode was a fantastic return, I'm so hooked.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Xtanstic posted:

I thought Marvel doesn't have the rights to the Skrulls because they're tied up with Fantastic Four movie rights?

From what I remember, they have the Skrulls, just not Super-Skrull.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

They can use Skrulls, but cannot use any named Skulls (i.e. Super Skrull).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Metalshark posted:

Agent 33 becoming Madame Hydra would be awesome (more Ming-Na Wen is always good!) and she's got the facial scar. And of course, they could build up to this - they did say that they are fans of Secret Warriors:

I just realized this ep didn't have any Ward in it. They really should have killed him off.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wouldn't Agent 33 becoming Madame Masque be more appropriate than Madame Hydra?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I just realized this ep didn't have any Ward in it. They really should have killed him off.

Nope. Ward was easily the best thing about the first part of this season.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And deprive us of more Skyeward interactions? You monster.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hope and vaseline posted:

The director based that off his actual experience of coming out to his parents.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

The director based that off his actual experience of coming out to his parents.

Bryan Singer is a mutant?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Mokinokaro posted:

i didn't get that impression. I'm sure she'd be fine with removing their powers only.

She also tried to kill herself when she thought she was hit with an alien thing she couldn't solve. Simmons jumps to killing alien things fairly quickly.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

On top of what others have said, Bobbi could have pulled a Fitz and messed with the results.

It's simply the coolest answer and thus the least likely. But I dunno who else it could be if there really is going to be a new, third group coming into the picture. Inhuman sleeper agents? Leviathan from Agent Carter? Ultron-controlled LMD's?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Nephthys posted:

On top of what others have said, Bobbi could have pulled a Fitz and messed with the results.

It's simply the coolest answer and thus the least likely. But I dunno who else it could be if there really is going to be a new, third group coming into the picture. Inhuman sleeper agents? Leviathan from Agent Carter? Ultron-controlled LMD's?

They're from Marvel's distinguished competition.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

greatn posted:

Bryan Singer is a mutant?

No, but he is allegedly inhuman.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xtanstic posted:

Nope, just some specific Skrull characters.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm betting that after a couple of episodes (or next episode, if the AoS keeps moving as fast as a CW/DC show) of Skye and Fitz running around trying to keep her powers hidden, Coulson or May will find out, and the whole thing turns into an anticlimax of "Okay, what are you going to do with them? Oh, help keep the world safe from Hydra or whatever? Cool. Gonna have to get them under control first, yeah?". This ends up leading to ~*drama*~ inside the team.

I can't see Coulson turning on any member of the team in Daisy's position. Especially not Skye. Yeah, he helped with the powered-people index, but he wanted to help keep the people on it out of trouble. His hero is Captain America, and he considers the Avengers his friends.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

It's next episode, the preview already showed this.

Edit: I'm not sure I'd be so dismissive of this as "anti-climactic" anyways. There are already cracks forming in the team, as seen by the argument outside Skye's isolation chamber and Simmons' ranting. Plus the strong hints that Skye is going to leave to either go to Muad'dad or be mentored by other Inhumans.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

mikeraskol posted:

It's next episode, the preview already showed this.

Ah, didn't see it. Glad to hear they are keeping it moving.

• Locked thread