Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Risen Executioner
Creature - Zombie Warrior
Risen Executioner can't block.
Other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1.
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional (1) for each other creature card in your graveyard.

I want to run this as the only creature in a control deck

E: or Loam Pox I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That is the least mythic mythic since like... Archangel's Light.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Its a pretty tough to beat card in limited, I think, especially if you load up on any Exploit effects that might be in the set (we've seen 2, and both were Zombies).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm guessing the "exploit" is recasting him after using an Exploit ability, e.g. Sidisi-2 (who is also a Zombie).

Oh yeah, I guess that's also a thing. It's still really not very exciting tho.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Zombie Lord is an easy first pick tho...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

Risen Executioner
Creature - Zombie Warrior
Risen Executioner can't block.
Other Zombie creatures you control get +1/+1.
You may cast Risen Executioner from your graveyard if you pay an additional (1) for each other creature card in your graveyard.

Really not liking this guy. First off he can't block, which is a big reason you would even care about a creature that can return itself from the graveyard. So his only use is offense, but at 4CMC the more aggressive decks won't necessarily want him. Not to mention that the more aggressive the deck, the more likely this guy will cost more to cast from the yard.

Seems like the definition of a creature Wizards was overly cautious in nerfing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlternateNu posted:

Really. I could see WUG Walkers that is just a reversion to the earlier Walker decks pre-Khans. Caryatid/Courser core with Ajani (Mentor), Narset, Elspeth, and Nissa. That sounds pretty loving scary, honestly.

Edit: Think of this.
Turn 1: Scryland
Turn 2: Caryatid
Turn 3: Narset (good luck killing her short of Downfall)
Turn 4: End Hostilities
Turn 5: (Rebound End Hostilities) Ajani/Nissa/Value Town
Turn 6: Break face

Outside of block constructed I don't think we've seen a superfriends deck since 5 mana Gideon was using his Royal Assassin powers on Birds of Paradise. I don't think we are ever going to again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

Really not liking this guy. First off he can't block, which is a big reason you would even care about a creature that can return itself from the graveyard. So his only use is offense, but at 4CMC the more aggressive decks won't necessarily want him. Not to mention that the more aggressive the deck, the more likely this guy will cost more to cast from the yard.

Seems like the definition of a creature Wizards was overly cautious in nerfing.

The "no block" clause is really random, really. He's not all that OP even if he can block, he's just pretty good in limited (and I think in terms of Limited powers, he's not terribly far over the line into Mythic). I definitely understand the disappointment at a card that seems like it only really has limited applications, and being in the Mythic slot so its never useful there.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 5, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

The "no block" clause is really random, really. He's not all that OP even if he can block, he's just pretty decent in limited.
Black stuff that can repeatedly come back from the graveyard tends to have that clause. Bloodghast, Gravecrawler, Bloodsoaked Champion, etc, unless I'm remembering wrong.

I don't know how to evaluate that card. His abilities feel at cross-purposes. I really wish he wasn't a lord and had some form of evasion instead, but maybe he'll be sweet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

That's just kind of a staple of Zombie cards and probably just a nod to flavor.

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't know how to evaluate that card. His abilities feel at cross-purposes. I really wish he wasn't a lord and had some form of evasion instead, but maybe he'll be sweet.

The lord ability and the cast from the graveyard ability seem to be at slight odds with one another, but it sort of feels like one half is aimed at constructed and the other limited, which is interesting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

Black stuff that can repeatedly come back from the graveyard tends to have that clause. Bloodghast, Gravecrawler, Bloodsoaked Champion, etc, unless I'm remembering wrong.

That makes sense, I suppose. But its pretty expensive to bring him back and those guys are all cheapie weenies.

rabidsquid posted:

That's just kind of a staple of Zombie cards and probably just a nod to flavor.

The lord ability and the cast from the graveyard ability seem to be at slight odds with one another, but it sort of feels like one half is aimed at constructed and the other limited, which is interesting.

Is it? I normally see it on the cheaper black aggro cards (rather than zombies in particular), which this doesn't seem like.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

Zombie Lord is an easy first pick tho...

Yeah it's a good card for limited and though I'm skeptical about its constructed use outside EDH, you can't ever really ignore perpetually recurrable creatures.

It's just boring as poo poo is all. There's no mythic pop to it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think this may be the set that gets me into EDH

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah it's a good card for limited and though I'm skeptical about its constructed use outside EDH, you can't ever really ignore perpetually recurrable creatures.

It's just boring as poo poo is all. There's no mythic pop to it.

I don't think he's exciting either, it's just, man, comparing it to Archangel's Light, it just feels too brutal, you know.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'd really like to see tribal creatures get printed where the reaction is "wow that gives me a new angle to play this tribe" rather than just "okay is this guy that makes my guys bigger better than the worst guy that makes my guys bigger? If so, what's the impact on my curve?"

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Recurring creatures is fun; gumming up the ground with infinite chump blockers who can never be killed is not. Wizards learned that lesson with Nether Spirit, then they forgot and got a refresher with Kitchen Finks. That's why they design all these cheap recursive guys to be bad on defense.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
That Executioner would have been a lot more interesting (and maybe really mythic-worthy) if it had Delve instead of "can't block."

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Obviously the zombie lord is secretly telling you the deck tech for warrior tribal: Empty the Pits.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I'm kinda curious about him in cube honestly. If you support pox/stax he definitely is appealing especially since the 4 slot isn't the strongest and he's serviceable in black aggro. Also zombie is probably the most supported "tribe" thanks to gravecrawler. Worth testing at least.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Prediction: Bloodsoaked Champion becomes even better now with Exploit.

More Exploit spoilers please.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I don't think he's exciting either, it's just, man, comparing it to Archangel's Light, it just feels too brutal, you know.

I wasn't playing then but you made me look it up, and then the comments on Gatherer referred me to Gnaw To The Bone, and holy poo poo Archangel's Light is a horrible, horrible card

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Doug Beyer also confirms that Narset is written to be somewhere on the autism spectrum in her Uncharted Realms story.

quote:

hi doug!! reading the new uncharted realms, i felt an enormous amount of sympathy for narset, specifically with reference to the beginning sequence with her as a kid. the restlessness, the sensory overload, the self-distraction with counting and observation - these, to me, heavily code narset as being autistic. i am autistic myself and it would mean the absolute world to me to know that a character in a game i care deeply about is like me, and many other folks. is this something you can confirm?
swordsagainstdeath

That was the intent, yes. The most important part of Narset’s character is her amazing mind, which is central to her potential as a powerful Planeswalker and as a pursuer of knowledge — but it happens that she processes information and input differently than a lot of other people. Tarkir denizens might not have a term for the autism spectrum or being neurodivergent or neuro-atypical, but those terms would correctly describe her. In this timeline she is not khan of the Jeskai, but no matter the circumstances, she hasn’t let go of her commitment to seeking her own path to wisdom and truth. Kudos to Creative Team member Kimberly Kreines for exploring this aspect of Narset in her story “The Great Teacher’s Student.”

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Archangel's Light was meant to have another effect (unrevealed, since apparently they might try it again some time), but they decided it didn't play well at a very late stage and had to come up with another effect that fitted the art. They made it incredibly shite to be safe, I guess.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Looking for some opinions on Monastery Mentor, I have one and some other white and red stuff that I could build a standard deck around but I don't want to invest in 1-3 more if it's not going to be a staple in decks that I play white in or hold its value.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Corte posted:

Looking for some opinions on Monastery Mentor, I have one and some other white and red stuff that I could build a standard deck around but I don't want to invest in 1-3 more if it's not going to be a staple in decks that I play white in or hold its value.

Unless you're playing Jeskai Tokens it's one of those cards you could play, or you could replace it for another powerful 3-drop depending on your preference. Definitely not a must have in the R/W deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Corte posted:

I don't think it will go under $10-15 while its in Standard simply because its raw power is so high and its a Mythic in a small set. Its a bit like Goblin Rabblemaster with a higher ceiling, but doesn't do much on its own the way Rabble does. Right now, in a R/W deck he's probably just worse than Brimaz, King of Oreskos (which is a similar card in terms of cost, color, power, but Brimaz sees limited play in other formats)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 5, 2015

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Man, what a bummer that allied fetches aren't in DTK. Isn't it MaRo that's always talking about people loving pattern completion? Well, MaRo -- here's a pattern you guys didn't complete...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Man, what a bummer that enemy fetches aren't in DTK. Isn't it MaRo that's always talking about people loving pattern completion? Well, MaRo -- here's a pattern you guys didn't complete...

I think they just don't want 10 different shuffling lands around, at least not while three-color decks are running rampant.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

goferchan posted:

I wasn't playing then but you made me look it up, and then the comments on Gatherer referred me to Gnaw To The Bone, and holy poo poo Archangel's Light is a horrible, horrible card

What we got was a last minute replacement for something else.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Man, what a bummer that allied fetches aren't in DTK. Isn't it MaRo that's always talking about people loving pattern completion? Well, MaRo -- here's a pattern you guys didn't complete...

I'm just seeing a pattern of never printing more than 5 fetches in a block, personally.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

The funny part is that when that happens, they are usually stuck with the art and have to invent a card that fits the art, rather than the other way around. See also, Warleader's Helix.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cernunnos posted:

That's like truly incredible though, way worse than the lovely Selesnya lady in DGM -- it's basically a sorcery-speed version of a card in the previous set, except it cost 5 more mana, and its extra ability could just as easily be seen as a downside in a set with flashback and stuff. Wow, wow, wow

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The funny part is that when that happens, they are usually stuck with the art and have to invent a card that fits the art, rather than the other way around. See also, Warleader's Helix.

Warleader's Helix is like, the least inventive reinvention ever lol

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Doug Beyer also confirms that Narset is written to be somewhere on the autism spectrum in her Uncharted Realms story.

She didn't seem like it before, I guess dragons cause autism

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

goferchan posted:

That's like truly incredible though, way worse than the lovely Selesnya lady in DGM -- it's basically a sorcery-speed version of a card in the previous set, except it cost 5 more mana, and its extra ability could just as easily be seen as a downside in a set with flashback and stuff. Wow, wow, wow

They probably should have bumped another rare to mythic for no real reason, but at least at Mythic you never had to see that piece of crap.

Warleader's Helix is like, the least inventive reinvention ever lol

The problem is that they had to make a Boros guild card featuring art that looks exactly like iconic Boros guild card Lightning Helix. On the plus side, Warleader's still saw play in burn, so they didn't fail nearly as bad.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Warleader's Helix is actually a completely fairly costed card, even if it's a bit uninspired. Better than having a ludicrously unplayable mythic.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

ungulateman posted:

I really hope there's an "Exile target Dragon" removal spell at uncommon or that G/W dude is going to be almost literally impossible to beat in limited.

I also hope there's an "Exile target Dragon" removal spell in white so that Stormbreath Dragon remains the most playable Dragon in Standard from now until rotation. :smaug:

He's already going to because he dodges all the far more playable cards in white that do exactly that but not limited to Dragons.

edit; whoops, thats what happens when I don't refresh.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Traditionally how playable have these sort of abilities been?

The Dragonspeaker reduction was a bit beefier.

E:i guess it's effectively a worse, more expensive conditional elvish mystic that can eat goblin tokens

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The art is hilarious on that card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's in red though, which doesn't usually get that kind of mana ramp. That into turn 3 Thunderbreak into turn 4 Stormbreath seems sweet as hell, although probably not reliable enough to really work.

• Locked thread