Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

There are like at least three amazing Korean players WFX could probably import from China if they were willing (or able) to pay them. They could probably get Flame for the right price for god's sake.

This is something that has always puzzled me: Where do teams get their income? Is there any source that covers that sort of stuff in depth? I know that Riot pays a meager salary, but beyond that I have no clue how some of these orgs sustain themselves. Top teams can earn money from tournaments, and they probably sell a decent amount of merchandise, but what do the bottom tier organizations do to make money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Typical Pubbie posted:

This is something that has always puzzled me: Where do teams get their income? Is there any source that covers that sort of stuff in depth? I know that Riot pays a meager salary, but beyond that I have no clue how some of these orgs sustain themselves. Top teams can earn money from tournaments, and they probably sell a decent amount of merchandise, but what do the bottom tier organizations do to make money?

I think the majority of their money is from sponsorships and hosting sites in the case of LIquid/TSM/etc., but honestly it's not very transparent and it always seems like a surprising number of sponsors just give gear. I think a good bit is out of pocket as well. It seems like it's either people who are just really passionate and generally run into trouble if there team doesn't do well, or are wealthy enough to finance a big push from the get go (see: Curse, Jack Etienne with Crunchyroll).

(eSports = not a good investment. I want to say the Gravity guy paid like ~80k for the team, which feels kind of silly).

foutre fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 5, 2015

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Libertine posted:

They should have just absorbed the better parts of Fusion along with Gleeb after Fusion failed out of the CS.

Get Gleeb and Maknoon, and if helios didn't like playing on a team without his brother just bring in the fuckin Nintendude.

I don't think Gleeb had ever looked like a good, or even decent player until recently. I feel he's played a surprisingly solid game as an LCS sub this season, but having said that Gleeb and Maknoon were embarrassingly horrific last we saw them on Fusion. Outside of a hindsight bias ignoring that and Gleeb's type 2 bipolar, I don't think you could look at the situation then and say either player was deserving of a spot on any LCS team. They were in meltdown for most of the expansion tournament where Nintendude and Nien (especially) almost managed to carry them through regardless.

Unless the point here is that Winterfox could've done any lovely thing in the world and come out ahead compared to whatever they're doing right now. That may be :shobon:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

foutre posted:

I think the majority of their money is from sponsorships and hosting sites in the case of LIquid/TSM/etc., but honestly it's not very transparent and it always seems like a surprising number of sponsors just give gear. I think a good bit is out of pocket as well. It seems like it's either people who are just really passionate and generally run into trouble if there team doesn't do well, or are wealthy enough to finance a big push from the get go (see: Curse, Jack Etienne with Crunchyroll).

(eSports = not a good investment. I want to say the Gravity guy paid like ~80k for the team, which feels kind of silly).

Riot provides salaries, which like you said, aren't that great on their own, but travel and housing are paid for by Riot separately with stipends that, from what I understand, don't come out of the salary pool. Without having to pay rent/travel, the salaries are at least livable amounts of money, and then can be augmented with streaming/sponsorships/etc and the additional prize money they get from tournaments.

If you want to get rich off it though, you better be real good at streaming.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ihki posted:

I don't think Gleeb had ever looked like a good, or even decent player until recently. I feel he's played a surprisingly solid game as an LCS sub this season, but having said that Gleeb and Maknoon were embarrassingly horrific last we saw them on Fusion. Outside of a hindsight bias ignoring that and Gleeb's type 2 bipolar, I don't think you could look at the situation then and say either player was deserving of a spot on any LCS team. They were in meltdown for most of the expansion tournament where Nintendude and Nien (especially) almost managed to carry them through regardless.

Unless the point here is that Winterfox could've done any lovely thing in the world and come out ahead compared to whatever they're doing right now. That may be :shobon:

Yeah I don't disagree, and hindsight is 20/20. The saddest thing of all might be that Gleeb is the actual best non-teamed NA support. And Fusion despite being a screetching trainwreck at the end of the Challenger Tournament was actually the very best team of players that didn't make it.

Gleeb's WFX contract actually just expired so I think he's off the roster right now. There's not a terribly deep well of talent, and you can only import so much; so using your imports on ineffective players is actually the biggest blunder one can make in any kind of roster construction.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's just so dumb that WFX's substitute was playing better in his two games than his replacement has all season. Even the game he lost with Winterfox he was still relevant enough to keep dueling anyone else on the team. When Avalon falls off he may as well be as useful as a caster minion.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
NME played some nice teamfighting today - surprising that Innox makes a good mid but he was always pretty carry focused.

Otter joins a select group in dying to red buff, and he isn't even a jungler!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo the ending to this F5 vs TSD is hilarious, watch this VoD everyone

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Jonny Angel posted:

Holy poo poo the ending to this F5 vs TSD is hilarious, watch this VoD everyone

Made me think I should watch more of the challenger series, ridiculous.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
The fact that Rhux was able to do so much and not die was amazing.

Not sure how much is skill and how much is sloppiness, but its hilarious either way!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Libertine posted:

Winterfox is a team that should be putting everything in place to compete for the top of the NA LCS, but instead they are just doing all the most head-scratching things to compete for the floor of the division.

They should have just absorbed the better parts of Fusion along with Gleeb after Fusion failed out of the CS.

Get Gleeb and Maknoon, and if helios didn't like playing on a team without his brother just bring in the fuckin Nintendude.

I just feel like Pobelter and Altec are extremely good homegrown NA players who are constantly surrounded by lovely imports weighing them down like loving anchors and I feel bad for both of those guys.

C9 Pobelter. Gets secretly swapped out for Hai wearing a Pobelter mask if they get Zed in draft.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Altec off ADC is just really disappointing.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Zerilan posted:

C9 Pobelter. Gets secretly swapped out for Hai wearing a Pobelter mask if they get Zed in draft.

C9 Pobelter with Hai moved to support and Lemon as Drafting Boss. Why can't it be? :negative:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Typical Pubbie posted:

C9 Pobelter with Hai moved to support and Lemon as Drafting Boss. Why can't it be? :negative:

Lemon got replaced by the coach for pick ban, so this would free up his time to look into hair loss solutions.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why would they do that? The team has been very consistent for years now and switching roster would be insane since C9 has no real competition outside of TSM.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

Lemon got replaced by the coach for pick ban, so this would free up his time to look into hair loss solutions.

He (and phreak) keep their hair relatively short, which is the best thing balding men can do. I for one commend them for it

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Why would they do that? The team has been very consistent for years now and switching roster would be insane since C9 has no real competition outside of TSM.

It matters if they want to make it to finals at worlds.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I'm sure changing their roster so drastically would be the best decision. I mean look at all the teams it's worked out for.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I gotta say, watching Piglet stream CS:Go while waiting for his que to pop is a bit hilarious, with him trying to imitate the voices of the other players.

"HAEEET YUU" being my favorite. Although he is having a TON of fun with the game it appears... not round based but rather looks like TDM

Also his CS:GO name seems to be "PeacefulFrank"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Calax posted:

I gotta say, watching Piglet stream CS:Go while waiting for his que to pop is a bit hilarious, with him trying to imitate the voices of the other players.

"HAEEET YUU" being my favorite. Although he is having a TON of fun with the game it appears... not round based but rather looks like TDM

Also his CS:GO name seems to be "PeacefulFrank"

Watching piglet stream is interesting because when he sees another LCS adc in the game he turns it up to 11 and harasses them out of lane at level 1 as vayne when they are graves.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

GreyPowerVan posted:

Watching piglet stream is interesting because when he sees another LCS adc in the game he turns it up to 11 and harasses them out of lane at level 1 as vayne when they are graves.

Rivalries are arguably a bigger part of the game in Korea than in the West, especially seemingly with ADC's. Imp/Piglet obviously is the standout, but you hear rumours about them staying up all hours to beat other ADC's on the ladder and so on.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Vayne's level 1 isn't actually that bad

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Caught up on the F5 games -- Veritas has some incredible mechanics, watching his jukes was really cool. That said, he makes some weird decisions. I think if they can get the rest of the team up to his level or close (rank 1 NA is I guess pretty exclusive to a single title-holder) and get tighter shotcalling I think they could be a real contender.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

NTT posted:

Vayne's level 1 isn't actually that bad

Particularly if you can use q to dodge an enemy damage spell and close range at the same time.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I am cautiously optimistic after hearing that Elements has made Nyph their new head coach.

Edit: To expand - I really think their coaching situation was their biggest problem. The team is obviously talented. I could see them settling very comfortably in 3rd - 4th range after this change, which really is the best they can hope for at this point in the split.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 5, 2015

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sexpansion posted:

I am cautiously optimistic after hearing that Elements has made Nyph their new head coach.

Edit: To expand - I really think their coaching situation was their biggest problem. The team is obviously talented. I could see them settling very comfortably in 3rd - 4th range after this change, which really is the best they can hope for at this point in the split.

It all depends on the team actually listening to his advice. Unless I'm misremembering, Nyph was always said to be great at strategy. If he can focus on that and actually get the team to listen to him then they might improve. Elements/Alliane have always had a problem of players being stubborn about not listening to coaches. I remember quotes from Froggen about how he doesn't need advice from someone that isn't Challenger or something close to that. Maybe they will listen to Nyph and improve but I'm very doubtful at least.

If they're smart and just use the current split to work their main issues they still have a good chance to go to worlds.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
I don't know what to think about that. I never had a particularly high opinion of Nyph's strategic prowess, so this looks a bit like a continuation to the whole "The worst player on the team is replaced and made coach" way Western teams have looked at the coach role. Maybe he brings something to the table that adds a lot of value from a coaching position, but his (right?) shotcalling this season has been a trainwreck. Maybe he's a good addition to the social dynamic of the team where it seems difficult to even consider studying replays. Or maybe Elements just figured it's a thrifty business decision to keep him on for appearances' sake, as Nyph's contract has him on the payroll for an unknown period of time anyway.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

What the actual gently caress WFX. I'm pretty sure Imagine would be a better toplaner than Avalon at this point.

Just implode the EG/Velocity/WFX org: C9 Pobelter, TSM Altec, the dream .

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

If you think Pobelter is better than Hai or Altec is better than Turtle, I have bad news for you.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
hai sucks

altec maybe better than turtle

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
I think it's a good decision to move Nyph to coaching. That way Elements can pull a Winterfox eventually :v:

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Lovechop posted:

hai sucks

altec maybe better than turtle

I am willing to give C9 Throwbelter to guarantee TSM eternal reign over NA.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Disinterested posted:

If you think Pobelter is better than Hai or Altec is better than Turtle, I have bad news for you.

Hai literally cannot play any champion besides Zed

Turtle is alright but uninspiring and I just want to see Altec on a good team for once.

edit news: Doa casting IEM!!! https://twitter.com/ggDoA/status/573500814225883136

archduke.iago fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 5, 2015

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
if you are on the best team in your region it means you're also the best at whatever position you are

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Lovechop posted:

if you are on the best team in your region it means you're also the best at whatever position you are

noted: best midlaner kr ge kuro

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

YESSSSSSSSSSS

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
I think Pobelter's better than Hai, tbh, but then there's the whole shotcalling problem again.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Pobelter has basically never done anything in pro play. He is a classic solo queue hero.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

archduke.iago posted:

Turtle is alright but uninspiring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVZ_TA7Ygow&feature=player_detailpage#t=305

Watch this laning phase and come back to me on that. This is seriously some of the absolute best ADC play ever, anywhere, from both sides. That Turtle manages to win that lane is a testament to how crazy good he is in the clutch and I don't know why that 'turtle is bad' meme keeps popping up. He really brings it when it counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Disinterested posted:

Pobelter has basically never done anything in pro play. He is a classic solo queue hero.

We haven't really seen Pobelter on a team that would allow him to do that much I think.

He started to look good at the end of last split on EG, and his stats haven't been that bad despite Winterfox's troubles - they're better than Hai at least.

Maybe there's still some vestiges of the old Throwbelter but I don't see it as much as before.

• Locked thread