Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Rinkles posted:

Traditionally how playable have these sort of abilities been?

The Dragonspeaker reduction was a bit beefier.

E:i guess it's effectively a worse, more expensive conditional elvish mystic that can eat goblin tokens

Yeah, I don't remember cards like this ever making an impact on standard. It's definitely going straight into my Atarka EDH deck, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's in red though, which doesn't usually get that kind of mana ramp. That into turn 3 Thunderbreak into turn 4 Stormbreath seems sweet as hell, although probably not reliable enough to really work.

You either end up playing that guy T2 and curve out or play Dragon Tempest T2 and give your T4 Thunderbreak Haste and get some extra damage in.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

E:i guess it's effectively a worse, more expensive conditional elvish mystic that can eat goblin tokens

Goblin Warchief was pretty effective back in the day (and still sees some play in Legacy Goblins); the issue is that Goblins are already generally cheap to begin with and Shaman also gave them Haste.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Cernunnos posted:

You either end up playing that guy T2 and curve out or play Dragon Tempest T2 and give your T4 Thunderbreak Haste and get some extra damage in.

Or you draw it on turn 6 and silently weep.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

It's in red though, which doesn't usually get that kind of mana ramp. That into turn 3 Thunderbreak into turn 4 Stormbreath seems sweet as hell, although probably not reliable enough to really work.

Four Dragonlord's Servant, four Generator Servant, and four Dragon Tempest. The rest of the deck is just beefy Dagrons and removal.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
/\/\/\: If Stormbreaths weren't obscenely priced compared to the rest of the deck I'd probably build something like that just to dick around with.

Starving Autist posted:

Or you draw it on turn 6 and silently weep.

I never said they were good or going to shake up standard. Just that they were "a thing you could do."

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 5, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

bhsman posted:

Goblin Warchief was pretty effective back in the day (and still sees some play in Legacy Goblins); the issue is that Goblins are already generally cheap to begin with and Shaman also gave them Haste.
Three of the five warchief saw play in block or standard, but this card is so far from warchief it isn't even funny to compare them.

On the other hand it really isn't that awful, but the earlier suggestion it might be a sb card is probably closer to expectations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
A creature like that is extra vulnerable to the traditional problems of mana creatures (drawing them at the wrong time, drawing them but not the things you need the mana for) and they typically aren't very good unless they've got some other draw to them, like one of those goblin lords.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

The other side of that is red dosent usually want a 1/3 for 1R. Would have been better if he was 2/1

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Under the vanilla test, It blocks morphs and that's about all it has going for it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Not any more!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not any more!

They're still 2/2s when they're face down.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not any more!

MegaMorph still makes a facedown 2/2. They just get a +1/+1 counter when they flip.

The creature is supposed to be a :ssh: secret :ssh: and if MegaMorph made them 3/3s there wouldn't be much secret there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Under the vanilla test, It blocks morphs and that's about all it has going for it

Play green/red with it and drop an Elvish Mystic really.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 5, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

The other side of that is red dosent usually want a 1/3 for 1R. Would have been better if he was 2/1
That's completely true. Still I love the idea of a wonky-rear end mono-red dragons deck.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cernunnos posted:

MegaMorph still makes a facedown 2/2. They just get a +1/+1 counter when they flip.

The creature is supposed to be a :ssh: secret :ssh: and if MegaMorph made them 3/3s there wouldn't be much secret there.

Also a face-down card is a 2/2 regardless of how it's turned face-down, why it's face-down, or anything. To make Megamorphs be 3/3 would be to fundamentally change how face-down cards work.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

That's some familiar looking art!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

That's not happening and you know it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Count Bleck posted:

That's not happening and you know it.

Even if it's not Force of Will proper, I could see them trying a free counter variant that plays homage to it. Especially in the block that brought us Treasure Cruise.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Looks more like a Dismiss to me.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

I don't know, if I'm going to see this an a homage to a specific counterspell (and not just generic "Thing Makes A Shield And Doesn't Give A poo poo" counterspell art) it would be Not Of This World.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Reminds me of Dismiss, but i think it is probably a homage to Laquatus's Disdain or Condescend. It does not resemble Force of Will in the least, not even in tone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Niton posted:

Even if it's not Force of Will proper, I could see them trying a free counter variant that plays homage to it. Especially in the block that brought us Treasure Cruise.

Force of Will that requires you to exile a white card

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
"Blocking a spell with a magical barrier non-nonchalantly" is a fairly common counterspell motif.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Kabanaw posted:

"Blocking a spell with a magical barrier non-nonchalantly" is a fairly common counterspell motif.

Yeah, there's no reason to suspect it's a reprint at all. For all we know it's this set's iteration of the 5 mana counterspell you only play when you have to in limited.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

It's definitely Force of Will, and they're going to spoil it along with the Wasteland reprint which is also assuredly in this set.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It's definitely the announcement of Purple Mana.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

forbidden lesbian posted:

Force of Will that requires you to exile a dragon card

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Kabanaw posted:

It's a fairly common motif, I admit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the artist used the Judge Force of Will as inspiration for the piece at all. As a bonus, Ojutai goes from looking incredibly powerful to hilariously smug and dismissive if you flip the art:

"Heh, that spell? That's nothing :smugdog:"

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Reminds me of Dismiss, but i think it is probably a homage to Laquatus's Disdain or Condescend. It does not resemble Force of Will in the least, not even in tone.

I'm definitely not an art critic and don't know how to describe the tone of a picture, but I just looked at it and saw a circular barrier turning away a laser blast or something. Sorry I was wrong about art!

Force of Will that requires you to exile a white card

I like your tone.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It has nothing to do with being an "art critic". Both FoW arts are desperate concentration. This is like, Ojutai farts and coincidentally dismisses a spell as he wafts it away.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
gently caress it, reprint Force and immediately ban it in Modern. :devil:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Also, for what it's worth, art like that does a good job of making Ojutai and crew feel like Elder Dragons and not just "Legendary Dragons with the Elder Subtype for some reason". The dude doesn't even need to stop polishing his nails to completely thwart a kill spell pointed at himself.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will be disappointed if that FOW isn't uncommon. It was already hard enough to get the 12 I have and I want more - it being rare or mythic would be even worse.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's definitely Force of Will, and they're going to spoil it along with the Wasteland reprint which is also assuredly in this set.

I can't believe they're reprinting Yawgmoth's Will

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Finally won a Modern tournament, even if the turnout was only 18 peeps. Beat out over R/G aggro, Burn, Ad Nauseam and Junk in that order as Merfolk :feelsgood:

Mainboarding Spreading Seas is great because it can really screw people out of that second/third color, and it means you'll almost always be able to swing unchallenged (RG couldn't play any red and missed GG costs left and right, while the Junk player Decay'd a Seas only to see another one the next turn. In spite of their getting out a Phyrexian Unlife, I didn't even realize I was playing Ad Nauseam until they combo'd out the second game. The only feeling better than Spell Piercing a Lotus Bloom when your opponent didn't realize it could be countered is Remanding it :getin:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

:effort:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

personally I'm shocked that they're reprinting Bargain

no, not Yawgmoth's Bargain, this one

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

*Silumgar's Will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

It has nothing to do with being an "art critic". Both FoW arts are desperate concentration. This is like, Ojutai farts and coincidentally dismisses a spell as he wafts it away.

I'm sorry I didn't go to college for Art Degree and I'm just a simple man who loves counterspells!

• Locked thread