Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Speaking of Sakai, something that continues to bug me is how we're supposed to believe he's totally best buds with his school's gunpla club, but it has always felt really fake. I'm willing to take the show at its word, but they put no effort at all into making it convincing. In fact now that I think about it, Try just overall doesn't really seem to care about any of its characters.

I think that's intentional. His club leader seemed genuinely uncomfortable with the way he was talking this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm glad the Crossbone finally got a good animated showing but I'm bummed because I don't like the focus on particle supply even though it was cool when Sei figured out how to manipulate them in the first season.

I guess invoking Plavsky Particles is good when it's say "my model kit can do the stuff from the anime/manga because i'm really good at manipulating plavsky particles" but it's bad when it's being invoked like gasoline

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's intentional. His club leader seemed genuinely uncomfortable with the way he was talking this episode.

Yeah two of the members were visibly and obviously uncomfortable about Sakai's talk this episode.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

I'm glad the Crossbone finally got a good animated showing but I'm bummed because I don't like the focus on particle supply even though it was cool when Sei figured out how to manipulate them in the first season.

I guess invoking Plavsky Particles is good when it's say "my model kit can do the stuff from the anime/manga because i'm really good at manipulating plavsky particles" but it's bad when it's being invoked like gasoline

I don't understand why they kept talking about the Full Cloth's particle supply. It just did things the machine can do, why did it need to store up extra Plavsky particles for that? The Star Build Strike stored up Plavsky particles so it could release them all at once to do special things that the Strike couldn't do. When it didn't have the stored Plavsky particles, it just performed to spec. What happens when the Full Cloth runs out of Plavsky particles? Would it revert to just being a standard Crossbones Gundam Full Cloth? But wasn't that what it was the entire time?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
How were those Geara Dogas refilling the Full Cloth's Plavsky particle supply? At first I thought they had extra Plavsky particles in those fuel tanks on their backs, but that doesn't make sense. If it was the fuel tanks, they could've just left the fuel tanks and gone off to fight. So I guess the Full Cloth was draining Plavsky particles directly from the Gunpla? So it's a vampire Gunpla?

That's actually a neat idea, I wish they had actually had a vampire Gunpla.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

muike posted:

The particle talk in the episode bothers me as well. It's never been brought up before except for engaging super modes and plenty of other players have done crazy moves without running out of magic fairy dust. By the rule The End and Transient should both have been running low on power as well given how much bream spam the did.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I don't understand why they kept talking about the Full Cloth's particle supply. It just did things the machine can do, why did it need to store up extra Plavsky particles for that? The Star Build Strike stored up Plavsky particles so it could release them all at once to do special things that the Strike couldn't do. When it didn't have the stored Plavsky particles, it just performed to spec. What happens when the Full Cloth runs out of Plavsky particles? Would it revert to just being a standard Crossbones Gundam Full Cloth? But wasn't that what it was the entire time?

Particles are used to fire weapons and propel the suit. The more particles you have, the better your performance. This is how the SBS's Real Mode worked, for instance, massively boosting the machine's base performance through particle saturation. The Full Cloth was hella fast and had devastating weapons, but it couldn't keep up that kind of performance forever... unless it leeched off another suit as well.

Basically, remember that a Gunpla Battle arena is just six lumps of plastic and a shitload of Plavsky particles. Everything that happens in it is a result of particle manipulation.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If the Star Build Strike can absorb the Plavsky particles that make up beam attacks, and the Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth can absorb the Plavsky particles that are animating other Gunpla, could you build a Gunpla that can absorb Plavsky particles directly from the created environment? Some sort of Langoliers Gunpla that just eats everything and uses it to power itself?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

If the Star Build Strike can absorb the Plavsky particles that make up beam attacks, and the Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth can absorb the Plavsky particles that are animating other Gunpla, could you build a Gunpla that can absorb Plavsky particles directly from the created environment? Some sort of Langoliers Gunpla that just eats everything and uses it to power itself?

Possibly, but you'd run into the usual problem with universal solvents - without a particle 'atmosphere', what's keeping your machine suspended and moving? You'd probably just crash the system and annoy the tournament-holders.

We have already had vampire Gunpla, though. Remember the SD triplets?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The gunpla academy suits don't have problems because they use the magic of gn drives and so never run out of particles unless they use trans am. Obviously everyone should use them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

boom boom boom posted:

could you build a Gunpla that can absorb Plavsky particles directly from the created environment? Some sort of Langoliers Gunpla that just eats everything and uses it to power itself?

This is how the Star Build Strike worked. The Absorb shield sped up the stockpile rate, but it gradually absorbed particles from the environment anyways.

Build Burning does basically the same thing too, along with a backup generator of sorts in the form of the Arista.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Darth Walrus posted:

Particles are used to fire weapons and propel the suit. The more particles you have, the better your performance. This is how the SBS's Real Mode worked, for instance, massively boosting the machine's base performance through particle saturation. The Full Cloth was hella fast and had devastating weapons, but it couldn't keep up that kind of performance forever... unless it leeched off another suit as well.

Basically, remember that a Gunpla Battle arena is just six lumps of plastic and a shitload of Plavsky particles. Everything that happens in it is a result of particle manipulation.

You don't understand. The Gunpla Battle System allows your Gunpla to operate as if it were the actual Mobile Suit it represents. It can walk around, shoot guns, etc. None of that is special. That is the baseline of what the system can do. The Plavsky particle fuckery comes into it when you want your Gunpla to do stuff the MS it represents can't. The Strike can't punch straight through another MS's torso. By infusing the RG frame inside itse;f with Plavsky particles, the Star Build Strike can. The Strike can't makes wings of light appear behind itself. By absorbing and then releasing large amounts of Plavsky particles, the Star Build Strike can. Those are the issues where the amount of Plavsky particles you have on hand are important. Because they are going beyond the parameters of the base MS.

The Strike Gundam can shoot it's rifle. The Strike Gundam can use it's beam saber. So the Star Build Strike Gundam can shoot it's rifle and use it's beam saber. The system always produces enough Plavsky particles to allow it to do that, because that's what the entire point of Gunpla Battle System.

The Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth wasn't doing anything the Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth couldn't do in the Crossbone Gundam manga. Maybe it was doing all that stuff "better" than the actual Crossbone Gundam Full Cloth could, but it didn't seem like that to me.

Darth Walrus posted:

We have already had vampire Gunpla, though. Remember the SD triplets?

Oh yeah. Still, I mean like, a modified Deathscythe Hell Custom that actually bites other Gunplas or sinks it's claws into them or something.

BlitzBlast posted:

This is how the Star Build Strike worked. The Absorb shield sped up the stockpile rate, but it gradually absorbed particles from the environment anyways.

Build Burning does basically the same thing too, along with a backup generator of sorts in the form of the Arista.

I mean like, absorbing actual items in the created environment. Eating buildings or asteroids or the ground, depending on the stage,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Oh yeah. Still, I mean like, a modified Deathscythe Hell Custom that actually bites other Gunplas or sinks it's claws into them or something.

Sounds like you mean there should be a Gold Frame running around.

Which would be pretty sweet. Invisible vampire gunpla.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know maybe I'm wrong in thinking it's lame the way they used Plavasky particles this time for no good reason while I really like it when there's a gunpla so good that it abuses the rules of Plavsky particles. Nils having swords so well polished they cut through plavsky beams? fuckin rad. Sei absorbing them and turning them in to attacks like no one has ever done before because he was inspired by China not following the "rules" of gunpla? Great. Plavsky Citgo? lame

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I find it helpful to think of compressed particles as a sort of fuel, and while the Full Cloth wasn't doing anything unique, it was probably doing them at a much higher output to compensate for the fact that the Transient, Portent, and The End were all high quality custom builds. As a result they just had some bullshit way of transferring particles from machine to machine. That's just the way I interpret it at least.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

It has to do with the output I'm assuming. It wouldn't really be fair if you could get canonically proportional output to the suit because then you'd have everyone running Turn As and Xs to be competitive. Likewise the amount of beam spam the Full Cloth was doing would put pretty much anything to shame if it didnt have a constraint to it. Like SBS charged rifle wasn't even that impressive now days when compared to that, the mega beam launcher, Lightnings FBs rail gun at full capacity and Tryon's liger canon and those are all self powered and can be shot without much prep.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, as others have said, this was a decent fight. I enjoyed seeing Full Cloth in action (despite animation hiccups such as Allan's magical self-repairing glasses).

I'm prepared for next week and Obari to go full throttle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caphi posted:

I mean I don't even mind Sekai himself that much even now, but there's only one rival with anything going on other than "yes slake my boredom my worthy rival for I am too good for anyone but you" and even that's all on the novelty of Invincible Gundam Man Tryon 3.

Sakai has exactly the same motivations as Wilfrid and Lucas, it's just that his "slake my boredom worthy rival" is focused on Yuuma instead of Sekai and Yuuma has gone to great pains to let Sakai know that the feeling isn't mutual so it's been played for laughs.

The fact that Sekai is the gravitational axis upon which almost every major character's motivation turns despite not really doing anything particularly special to warrant that level of attention is pretty :psyduck:. I don't even dislike the character, it's just incredibly odd writing. It's especially weird for Wilfrid and Lucas because both of their stated motivations are "Fight worthy dudes in gunpla" so the two of them should be champing at the bit to fight each other, not talking past each other about how they can't wait to beat their dumb opponent so they can get a chance to rumble with Guy Who Got Ripped Apart In The Previous Match.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

Sakai has exactly the same motivations as Wilfrid and Lucas, it's just that his "slake my boredom worthy rival" is focused on Yuuma instead of Sekai and Yuuma has gone to great pains to let Sakai know that the feeling isn't mutual so it's been played for laughs.

The fact that Sekai is the gravitational axis upon which almost every major character's motivation turns despite not really doing anything particularly special to warrant that level of attention is pretty :psyduck:. I don't even dislike the character, it's just incredibly odd writing. It's especially weird for Wilfrid and Lucas because both of their stated motivations are "Fight worthy dudes in gunpla" so the two of them should be champing at the bit to fight each other, not talking past each other about how they can't wait to beat their dumb opponent so they can get a chance to rumble with Guy Who Got Ripped Apart In The Previous Match.

Much as the fight was fun, that scene of "We're going to fight Try Fighters, no we are going to fight Try Fighters! :rant:" was pretty awful. You're Top 4 teams and you're all strong as hell. Enjoy fighting each-other :cripes:.

TARDISman posted:

I find it helpful to think of compressed particles as a sort of fuel, and while the Full Cloth wasn't doing anything unique, it was probably doing them at a much higher output to compensate for the fact that the Transient, Portent, and The End were all high quality custom builds. As a result they just had some bullshit way of transferring particles from machine to machine. That's just the way I interpret it at least.

If you look carefully it never got the chance to fully recharge either - you can see Lukas' particle reserves and they never topped 25%. I just don't get why the Crossbone is there in the first place. It's a nice fight and all, but It's still fundamentally a stock kit and it's getting released with an HGBF tag, which makes no sense considering what the Build Fighters line is all about. They really should've gone with a custom design, and a far less busy one at that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I get the feeling the Crossbone is basically filling the same niche the F91 did. They wanted to have all of the Best Four fights be a thing and in order to do that they had to sell the Gunpla Academy's rival as being a significant threat as well. They tried to build him up a little more than they did Julian and the F91 but at the end of the day the outcome was sort of foreshadowed by the fact he had a super-gimmicky fighting style and no partners.

I mean nobody really thought the Renatos or Julian would take down the Meijin either so I can't say it is wrong, just that Lucas sort of ended up being kinda there. (So... more like Julian actually since the Renatos were fairly memorable.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I get the feeling the Crossbone is basically filling the same niche the F91 did. They wanted to have all of the Best Four fights be a thing and in order to do that they had to sell the Gunpla Academy's rival as being a significant threat as well. They tried to build him up a little more than they did Julian and the F91 but at the end of the day the outcome was sort of foreshadowed by the fact he had a super-gimmicky fighting style and no partners.

I mean nobody really thought the Renatos or Julian would take down the Meijin either so I can't say it is wrong, just that Lucas sort of ended up being kinda there. (So... more like Julian actually since the Renatos were fairly memorable.)

Sure, but even Julian at least had a shiny red F91 Imagine.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 5, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That was because drawing "F91" over and over again is a pain an already short animation budget wasn't going to bother with.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Also, Julian had Build Fighters A(mazing), the prequel manga starring Tatsuya, to be fleshed out even more.

Lucas has a few scenes in season 1 and that's all. Unless he's going to be starring in a Try prequel manga down the line, that is.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, Julian had Build Fighters A(mazing), the prequel manga starring Tatsuya, to be fleshed out even more.

Lucas has a few scenes in season 1 and that's all. Unless he's going to be starring in a Try prequel manga down the line, that is.

They could almost make it interesting by having it be about him winning the European championship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just think guys; if they go to the Open Championship they can discard almost the entire cast and character development, and bring in a whole new set of rivals to loom silently from the stands for half the series/movie :v:.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

You think Arian has their own Gunpla Battle league? The International tournament can just get skipped over in favor for what the Arian battlers have been cooking up with the Mocks.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Level Slide posted:

You think Arian has their own Gunpla Battle league? The International tournament can just get skipped over in favor for what the Arian battlers have been cooking up with the Mocks.

They probably do, although it'd be great if Arian's Gundam franchise was based entirely off the Mock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

They probably do, although it'd be great if Arian's Gundam franchise was based entirely off the Mock.

I know a lot of people have problems with it but I thought that Reconguista of M was a solid show, up there with M Mock. Mashita-san sure hasn't lost his touch since Turn-M debuted!

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Just got to the last episode - does anyone else find it weird that they really made you want to see Lucas win, by playing him up as the underdog? And then, not only does he lose... he does it without taking out even one of his opponents? Like we're supposed to feel happy that the favored team won with relative ease? Still, it was one of the best fights we've gotten recently. Great match, lovely booking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I know a lot of people have problems with it but I thought that Reconguista of M was a solid show, up there with M Mock. Mashita-san sure hasn't lost his touch since Turn-M debuted!

Uhhhh, I think you mean Turn-W :rolleyes:.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Needs More Jazz posted:

Just got to the last episode - does anyone else find it weird that they really made you want to see Lucas win, by playing him up as the underdog? And then, not only does he lose... he does it without taking out even one of his opponents? Like we're supposed to feel happy that the favored team won with relative ease? Still, it was one of the best fights we've gotten recently. Great match, lovely booking.

What the gently caress? Lucas was clearly set out as the bad guy from the beginning of the fight. He did the worst, lowest trick possible in Gunpla Battle. He had a strategy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Needs More Jazz posted:

That's not really true. He outright sunk the Portent, and it would've stayed dead if Shia didn't have Haros onboard it. And he managed to cripple The End, along with deprive it of its revolvers. Out of killing three top-tier Gundams, achieving a good 1.5/3 on your own is pretty solid work.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not really true. He outright sunk the Portent, and it would've stayed dead if Shia didn't have Haros onboard it. And he managed to cripple The End, along with deprive it of its revolvers. Out of killing three top-tier Gundams, achieving a good 1.5/3 on your own is pretty solid work.

Hm. Point taken. Though, I guess I'm responding to that final shot of him, alone, surrounded by the three still-standing members of the Gundam Academy. Like he did some damage, but for a dude built up as the best in West, it would have been nice to see him push them further. Especially after the whole rivals-forcing-you-to-get-stronger talk at the top. Felt more like he made them pull out all their tricks, instead of forcing them to learn new ones/adapt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Needs More Jazz posted:

Hm. Point taken. Though, I guess I'm responding to that final shot of him, alone, surrounded by the three still-standing members of the Gundam Academy. Like he did some damage, but for a dude built up as the best in West, it would have been nice to see him push them further. Especially after the whole rivals-forcing-you-to-get-stronger talk at the top. Felt more like he made them pull out all their tricks, instead of forcing them to learn new ones/adapt.

You've still missed the mark a little. Lukas managed to force ALL THREE to pull out all their tricks with just one Gunpla for them to even try to kill him.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

He also gave Wilfrid more of a fight than anyone else so far, to the point that without seeing the rest of the fight, Sekai and the rest of the Try Fighters team thought that he lost.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

He also gave Wilfrid more of a fight than anyone else so far, to the point that without seeing the rest of the fight, Sekai and the rest of the Try Fighters team thought that he lost.

Oh yes, that was something that bugged the hell out of me too. You'd think with them being Try Fighters big designated rivals, they'd actually go watch them fight :cripes:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh yes, that was something that bugged the hell out of me too. You'd think with them being Try Fighters big designated rivals, they'd actually go watch them fight :cripes:.

I feel like (and this applies to BF S1 too) the writers are waaaaaay too in love with the "person arrives late, DRAMA" thing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I am a-ok with lucas sitting down with gyanko and simon to watch the remainder of the finals.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I expected at least Sekai would, christ knows he can't build worth a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Especially since this was likely to be the first time the Gunpla Academy actually pulled out the stops. It's probably the first time they'd have actually seen The End fight cloakless(since he was interrupted when he tried it on Meijin), the first time Shia deployed her repair haros, and the first time Transient did whatever the hell its glowy wings are supposed to do. It's all really important information that they could really benefit from having.

• Locked thread