Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

theyre not even loving congested for them to be congested my phlegm would need to stay inside me for more than 5 minutes

like holy gently caress you should see how much goop ive had to clean off my screen today. i have a mount of tissues next to me in my wastebin on the floor, box is out gently caress this poo poo

thank god i dont have the poops.

Please don't die migf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
another good way to realize that maybe the founders didn't have everything figured out is to read some of their best writing, like the several federalist papers where Madison was convinced that congress would never allow a standing army

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

Ratification: The People Debate the Constitution by Pauline Maier. Spoiler alert: some of the arguments advanced in favor of provisions in the constitution were idiotic. For example, the Maine and South Carolina delegations got into a fight over basing taxation on population because the Mainers were convinced that the cold weather made them live longer and have fewer children while everyone in the South died at age 40.

i didnt think the maine district had much sway back then

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

another good way to realize that maybe the founders didn't have everything figured out is to read some of their best writing, like the several federalist papers where Madison was convinced that congress would never allow a standing army

madison never thought that congress would go on to see a threat from non-american races

well, congress went on to see plenty of threat from what it perceived as non-americans.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

Or the existence of the 3/5 compromise and the general festering open wound that was slavery.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
it would be pretty neat to have a nasal cavity which the contents of a neti pot could flow through

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

How many decades did it take him to get owned by the living Congress?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nintendo Kid posted:

i didnt think the maine district had much sway back then

true, Rufus King was technically part of the Massachusetts delegation. he referenced Maine in all of his arguments at the convention.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
hm, you know, that makes me think about the perspective from which dredd scott was ruled on: it was a case about voting rights, namely, the right of southern states to have adequate representation

when your 3/5ths of a vote in the house runs up north and becomes 1 vote, what are you gonna do?!?!?! more votes are created than are destroyed that way! its just not fair!

ps down with dixie, death to the confederacy. YALL FUCKN LOST THE WAR QUIT BEGGING US NORTHERN FOLK TO PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR LONG HERITAGE OF BEING HUGEASS PUSSY LOSERS

e:

i caughed and some earwax flew out. i didnt know i could do that

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
"Agents of SHIELD" was unwatchable for the longest time, but now that Kyle MacLachlan is on it regularly it's good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aaasnd it just occurred to me that Romance languages are called that because the are descended from latin and not because they sound sexy to women

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

the way they're deified is honestly astounding to me as an adult. as a kid you maybe don't question it, but they were just a bunch of dudes. and aside from maybe franklin and jefferson not even especially clever. just a bunch of average rich guys

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Majorian posted:

Kyle MacLachlan is on it regularly

wait when did that happen

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Majorian posted:

"Agents of SHIELD" was unwatchable for the longest time, but now that Kyle MacLachlan is on it regularly it's good.

I love how much of a turnabout that show has done. Clark Gregg was rights: nerds just needed to shut the gently caress up and watch the drat show.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Aaasnd it just occurred to me that Romance languages are called that because the are descended from latin and not because they sound sexy to women

zoux'd again!

hey zoux do you speak in romance to your roommate?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

When he turned out to be skyes dad and possibly an inhuman i think. the guy's totally loving nuts, its great.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

the way they're deified is honestly astounding to me as an adult. as a kid you maybe don't question it, but they were just a bunch of dudes. and aside from maybe franklin and jefferson not even especially clever. just a bunch of average rich guys

i'd include hamilton and madison in the list of smart ones, but yeah. their best idea was to include a provision for revising the government, when needed.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

nutranurse posted:

When he turned out to be skyes dad and possibly an inhuman i think. the guy's totally loving nuts, its great.

he's not an inhuman he's Mr. Hyde, his daughter is Daisy ffs

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

We're all nothing special, apsrt from one or two of us eho are especially clever. just a buncha middle class white folk.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

The Apotheosis of Washington is funnier than the Bioshock Infinite portrayal of him.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

jefferson was a grade-a dumbshit

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Most of the founding fathers died very poor and deeply indebted. The founding fathers were horrible with finances

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Beginning of season 2, I think?

nutranurse posted:

I love how much of a turnabout that show has done. Clark Gregg was rights: nerds just needed to shut the gently caress up and watch the drat show.

Yeah, well, the writers didn't make it easy with season 1. But I'm glad I've stuck with it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

the other meaning of romance also comes from that, sort of circuitously

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

wheez the roux posted:

he's not an inhuman he's Mr. Hyde, his daughter is Daisy ffs

Look man, I watch my comics on TV. I don't know all this extra poo poo too well.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
migf pseudoephedrine is A Good Drug

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

zoux posted:

did a girl just slap you when you talked dirty in french or spanish or something

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ThirdPartyView posted:

The Apotheosis of Washington is funnier than the Bioshock Infinite portrayal of him.

Nah, "Apotheosis" doesn't have an animatronic Washington saying racist things; "Bioshock: Infinite" does, and it's one of the funniest drat things I've ever seen in a game.

Such an amazingly good game. I wish the "Burial at Sea" expansions weren't so bad.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
zoux how many languages do you speak

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

you've got to admit though, being an average rich guy was pretty top loving level.

*pisses in metal bowl* "tally ho wench, that's cleared it out i'll warrant. now I'm for nipping off to the club, it'll be a review of the papers from europe, and then I'll smoke a big ball of opium and jump a horse over a fence." *drafts patent drawing for a navigation instrument*

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

We're all nothing special, apsrt from one or two of us eho are especially clever. just a buncha middle class white folk.

exactly! we can craft an equally bad system without their bullshit

Badger of Basra posted:

jefferson was a grade-a dumbshit

so just franklin then, and maybe some other dude i'm forgetting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
franklin is definitely at least the one who could handle modern life best, imo

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

I now imagine you as the overseer droid in "Return of the Jedi": "YES OR NO WILL DO!"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

exactly! we can craft an equally bad system without their bullshit

so just franklin then, and maybe some other dude i'm forgetting.

gently caress you reidrandom, we're better than them. we're enlightened despots. We can craft an even worse system while blaming it on them!

re: franklin in modern life, what he could handle best would be penicilin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

Ha

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nintendo Kid posted:

franklin is definitely at least the one who could handle modern life best, imo

As long as he was in a town with no black people. So about as well as about half of America.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
ben franklin would have no idea how to cope with the relative lack of prostitution in central business districts

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
hamilton was legit intelligent and history has vindicated most of his beliefs except for the one that aaron burr wasn't a big enough poo poo to aim the gun at him

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

moreso considering they were only like 65 years out from his death when it was painted. imagine an apotheosis of roosevelt and how ridiculous we'd consider that, despite being arguably more worthy

My Imaginary GF posted:

gently caress you reidrandom, we're better than them. we're enlightened despots. We can craft an even worse system while blaming it on them!

sky's the limit. what're they gonna do, rot some more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Joementum posted:

Strom Thurmond was in the Senate until he was 99.

I assume you were asking about Senate elections because Warren isn't going to run for President.

Huh. shows what I know! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Locked thread