Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sober posted:

Well I'm fine with this because I'm not a sheltered basement virgin who hates women because one time or twice I was nice to them and I was denied sex in spite of it or something to that effect.

Ha ha, for some reason I don't believe you. Mainly because you felt the need to let it be known to strangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

IRQ posted:

When does Chris Hardwick show up?

Apparently The Nerdist office is right next to theirs so that could literally happen.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think Day is given poor material in Supernatural to be honest. She's better in her own programme. She's a pretty good presenter as well, if given a bit to much to internet catchphrases..

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bown posted:

You're the Worst needs to come back literally immediately

Aya Cash was on Sirens' most recent episode basically playing her You're The Worst character and it was pretty great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Aya Cash was on Sirens' most recent episode basically playing her You're The Worst character and it was pretty great.

Even with the extremely fake python last night's Sirens was pretty great. Although this entire season has been just as good as the first.

In sadder news, veteran character actor Daniel Von Bargen has died. He was in a bunch of stuff but he's probably best known as George's utterly indifferent boss Mr Kruger. Although personally I've always liked his turn as the undead sorcerer Nix from Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

muscles like this? posted:

Even with the extremely fake python last night's Sirens was pretty great. Although this entire season has been just as good as the first.

In sadder news, veteran character actor Daniel Von Bargen has died. He was in a bunch of stuff but he's probably best known as George's utterly indifferent boss Mr Kruger. Although personally I've always liked his turn as the undead sorcerer Nix from Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions.

He'll always be Grady from Super Troopers to me.

quote:

O'Hagen: Look, I'm done dickin' around. Either you let us in on this investigation or I'm going to embarrass you personally.
Grady: Oh, what? Like naked in a dream, embarassed?
O'Hagen: No, no. More like back in '77 when you got caught fuckin' your cousin, embarrassed.
Grady: She's not my cousin!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

Yeah Eliza Dushku is a terrible actress. I only know Felicia Day from Supernatural where everyone else seems to hate her but I think she's fine there.

Wasn't Day in Dr. Horrible? I think I remember that being ok.

All I know otherwise is that nerds hate her and are angry about her ruining video games (along with all women because reddit for some reason resents their hobby not being a total sausage festival anymore) though I have zero exposure to her despite consuming a lot of video games related media.

I also don't think Dushku was that bad in Dollhouse (she didn't write it, right?). Haven't seen her in anything else.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
One of the main problems with Dushku is that once you've seen her in something you've seen her in everything. She has the range of a gerbil's ejaculate.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

She is like John Wayne, where John Wayne always is playing John Wayne (who is awesome), where as Aliza is always playing Aliza who isn't that great.

The problem with her and Dollhouse wasn't that she was terrible, was that everyone else in the show were way way better. Made her look much worse.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Wasn't Day in Dr. Horrible? I think I remember that being ok.

All I know otherwise is that nerds hate her and are angry about her ruining video games (along with all women because reddit for some reason resents their hobby not being a total sausage festival anymore) though I have zero exposure to her despite consuming a lot of video games related media.

Day's not really a good actor, but she plays the "nerdy girl next door" really well. As for why nerds hate her, I take a less ignorantly kneejerk stance than you and think the hate stems from Day declaring herself not just another nerd, but the nerd dream girl back when the "celebrity nerd" was still a thing. She's no different than Chris Hardwick in that respect--becoming the face of the subculture without actually being accepted or embraced by said subculture.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Nerd subculture is not very accepting anyways, so what does that truly matter? Last I checked Day was an actual nerd, there's no denying it or believing someone else is just feeding her lines (which would make her an even better actor then?)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

Nerd subculture is not very accepting anyways, so what does that truly matter? Last I checked Day was an actual nerd, there's no denying it or believing someone else is just feeding her lines (which would make her an even better actor then?)

I think its always worthwhile to understand where people are coming from, and to give them the benefit of the doubt if only because it makes it easier to win them over. Its very easy to say "everybody who disagrees with me is objectively wrong and stupid, and probably evil," but its also intellectually lazy. If someone is wrong about something, we won't change their mind (or anyone else's) by hurling insults at them. Only by understanding where people come from, and disputing their arguments and their beliefs do we have any hope of changing their minds. That is, if you're interested in changing their minds. If you just want to jerk yourself off about how you're better than those horrible nerds or whatever, then just ignore everything I said.

As for Day specifically, again, I think a lot of nerds took offense, rightly or wrongly, to the idea that they she represented them or was the 'ideal nerd' instead of just a nerd. 'Popularity' in general is anathema to nerd culture, so anyone being declared the most popular nerd is going to get some blowback, whether the distinction is true or not.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Party Plane Jones posted:

I haven't watch the episode bit Siren's is a super unrated TV show. Its pretty fun every episode but the attempt to create a story arc drags it down a bit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

I agree with you but

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

As for Day specifically, again, I think a lot of nerds took offense, rightly or wrongly, to the idea that they she represented them or was the 'ideal nerd' instead of just a nerd. 'Popularity' in general is anathema to nerd culture, so anyone being declared the most popular nerd is going to get some blowback, whether the distinction is true or not.

I think you're confusing the terms nerd and geek. http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

Felicia Day is a geek when it comes to tv and video games, not a nerd. She even started a youtube channel called Geek and Sundry. But she is a nerd when it comes to music. She was accepted into Juilliard at 16, but the bitch didn't go. Regardless, one can assume that she is intelligent and understands the jargon of the musical arts far above the common man.

Here's a small example of the difference between geeks and nerds: Geeks are obsessed with video games; nerds are obsessed with programming.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

I think you're confusing the terms nerd and geek. http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Difference-Between-Nerds-and-Geeks

Felicia Day is a geek when it comes to tv and video games, not a nerd. She even started a youtube channel called Geek and Sundry. But she is a nerd when it comes to music. She was accepted into Juilliard at 16, but the bitch didn't go. Regardless, one can assume that she is intelligent and understands the jargon of the musical arts far above the common man.

Here's a small example of the difference between geeks and nerds: Geeks are obsessed with video games; nerds are obsessed with programming.

If nerd and geek have different meanings to you I don't even know what to say. You loving dork. I know you're replying to Irish Joe, so you hopefully aren't serious, but if you are, goddamn.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

IRQ posted:

If nerd and geek have different meanings to you I don't even know what to say. You loving dork. I know you're replying to Irish Joe, so you hopefully aren't serious, but if you are, goddamn.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane I don't want to probate you again so we'll go with the Toxxupation method. Just don't post in this thread anymore.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just turned on CSI: Cyber and in that time there's been a holodeck and the sentence "There's a bad guy out there who's set up an online shopping network for babies!" and I think this show is pretty amazing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MrAristocrates posted:

I just turned on CSI: Cyber and in that time there's been a holodeck and the sentence "There's a bad guy out there who's set up an online shopping network for babies!" and I think this show is pretty amazing.

You're lying about the second part. Right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deadpool posted:

You're lying about the second part. Right?

Only in that I cut some of it. The real sentence also included the words "weakness in your source code."

e: unless you're questioning if my love for the show is genuine in which case, how dare you, sir

Arist fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 5, 2015

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
What would babies need with an online shopping network?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slamhound posted:

This is what I was wondering and thought you were lying about. Because even though it's surely a black market baby thing this interpretation is much more interesting.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It would certainly explain the weakness in the source code.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

GreenNight posted:

She is like John Wayne, where John Wayne always is playing John Wayne (who is awesome), where as Aliza is always playing Aliza who isn't that great.

The problem with her and Dollhouse wasn't that she was terrible, was that everyone else in the show were way way better. Made her look much worse.

Don't be mistaken, Dollhouse was garbage in general too.

IRQ posted:

If you call yourself a geek you better be biting the heads off chickens on the regular.

MrAristocrates posted:

gently caress, I forgot Csiyber was coming on tonight. The backdoor pilot was a "NCIS keyboard hacking" level of amazing and I have no doubt the proper show will continue that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 5, 2015

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Slamhound posted:

The E*Trade baby's gotta spend all that ad cash somewhere, man.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Ravane I don't want to probate you again so we'll go with the Toxxupation method. Just don't post in this thread anymore.

Deadpool posted:

Close enough to 2015.

Thread Rules.

1 - No Korra
2 - No Dr. Who
3 - Do not reply to Toxxupation
4 - And of course as always, kill Hitler.

For anyone not currently aware of the thread rules. All we need is Deadpool to add Irish Joe to rule 3 and we will enter a new era of prosperous discussion about TV shows.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

gently caress, I forgot Csiyber was coming on tonight. The backdoor pilot was a "NCIS keyboard hacking" level of amazing and I have no doubt the proper show will continue that.

I've been looking forward to CSI: Cyber for months and it was everything I knew it could be. Next Wednesday can't come fast enough. "Any crime involving electronic devices is, by definition, cyber."

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

But... But this is the only thread I ever post in. And for nerdily explaining the differences between nerd and geek? This is unfair. This is Aatrek level moderation. I'm being punished for no reason! :(

I just wanted friends... :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

But... But this is the only thread I ever post in. And for nerdily explaining the differences between nerd and geek? This is unfair. This is Aatrek level moderation. I'm being punished for no reason! :(

I just wanted friends... :(

Quit being dumb then. This is your last chance.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Maybe you shouldn't be a really lovely troll then.

TV chat: Broad City season two is still hilarious.

efb by the mod, no less

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

I haven't watch the episode bit Siren's is a super unrated TV show. Its pretty fun every episode but the attempt to create a story arc drags it down a bit.

I could care less about any story or plot the show has. I just want to watch those characters interact because they all have great chemistry together.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sepinwall is saying really positive things about Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-ellie-kemper-finds-the-joy-in-tina-feys-dark-funny-unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt/

I'm really glad about that, I was looking forward to it when it was headed to NBC and now I get to watch the whole lot at once. Thanks Netflix!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm really glad about that, I was looking forward to it when it was headed to NBC and now I get to watch the whole lot at once. Thanks Netflix!

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. At the end of the day, its still an NBC sitcom, and they don't have the best track record as of late.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

But it's an NBC sitcom that NBC refused to air because it was too weird, that gives me hope. Most of NBCs output isn't that bad, CBS certainly beat them in the stakes to see who can get the biggest piece of garbage to air this year with The Odd Couple.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. At the end of the day, its still an NBC sitcom, and they don't have the best track record as of late.

30 Rock and Parks and Recreation were good enough to earn my benefit of the doubt. CBS sitcoms are the dead weight of television.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Irish Joe posted:

It's an NBC sitcom made my Tina Fey, I hold hope.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

EL BROMANCE posted:

But it's an NBC sitcom that NBC refused to air because it was too weird, that gives me hope. Most of NBCs output isn't that bad, CBS certainly beat them in the stakes to see who can get the biggest piece of garbage to air this year with The Odd Couple.

I assume its due to having everything on Kenneth's list of TV no-no words

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm a developer for a company that does some work with Tribune Media Services, and they have this site which, along with other things we may be leveraging, lets you search for a TV show and it will link to everywhere online that shows each episode, including how much it would cost to buy it if anything. For example, here's the page for Cheers.

http://onthedemo.com/program/SH000008820000

It seems a little inconsistent for listing Hulu shows (Cheers shows Hulu, but The Flash doesn't) but other than that it seems pretty solid and like something this thread could use. Links take you directly to the episode in question.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

EL BROMANCE posted:

And it landed Ellie Kemper for the lead. Ellie Kemper is goddamned amazing and it sounds like this role is going to make her the star she deserves to be.

• Locked thread