Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

This post has solidified the choice that I am NOT going to buy a Nexus 5 and shall pick up a 6. :v:

So are we talking Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?

My N5 is good for a day, but towards the next day it gets unusable. It really seems to be Google Music for some reason that kills it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lblitzer posted:

So Huawei is going to be the next partner in the Nexus program. Weird.

They'll make the first Nexus phone with a non-lovely camera as they use Sony ones :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Guillermus posted:

They'll make the first Nexus phone with a non-lovely camera as they use Sony ones :v:

The Nexus 6 has a Sony camera v:v:v

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LastInLine posted:

I had a bunch of stuff typed out but I deleted it because maybe this will explain the bolded part and why you won't get this on Android.

When I bought my MacBook Air in 2011 I had never used a Mac. I'd always build my own desktops and could flatten and reinstall Windows on my laptops. I could fix other people's computers and I knew how to troubleshoot and fix my own too. Why would I buy a MacBook Air then?

Because I had a Dell for 7 years that didn't really die it just got old and slow. Then I bought a new Dell and the screen was worse, the trackpad was horrible, and the build quality was atrocious. I had the motherboard replaced under warranty once because the power plug hole broke. Then, after thirteen months of ownership it just died and Dell said it would be $470 to look at it (not fix it, look at it). The laptop was about $1000 so I wasn't going to pay that for what wasn't a great laptop to begin with.

I went out and got an Air. You know what? The trackpad is amazing, better than any mouse I've ever used. The build quality is phenomenal. It's beautiful, lightweight, and a genuine pleasure to use in every way. Turns out the software was excellent too. Sure, some things were kind of weird and made for use in a way I wasn't used to but you know what? The more I used it the more I liked using it. It's easily the best experience I've had not just with computers, but with any kind of technology ever.

Over time I've found that I love it more. Sure, sometimes Apple pushes out an update that's less than great (10.10.1 was terrible) but here it is 3 years later and it's running better than the day I bought it. It's genuinely the best $1300 I've ever spent on anything. Since then I've convinced three other people to buy one, including my wife's grandmother. She's not exactly a computer expert but in 18 months she hasn't had a single issue at all with it. Every single person I've convinced to buy one likes it a lot and has zero complaints.

But that's how you get a fan, and by that I mean a fanatic: You make a product that people love. It's isn't something you generate, it's something you naturally get when you make something that is truly great. And it's not like this is something unique to Apple either. Think about other truly special things that have rapid fans like the Miata or the Mustang or certain artists/movies/TV, all of these things are special first, then comes the fanaticism. You can't just create it around something you've made, you have to make something out of a pursuit of excellence and hope your audience is there.

Sorry, that was much longer than the thing I had originally typed but I think it conveys what I mean. I want to re-emphasize that I don't think you're wrong about wanting enthusiasm at all, I just wanted to hopefully show why fanatics are, well, fanatical.

This is me right now.

I'm done wanting to tech support my own poo poo. I did the Asus gaming laptop thing, the android phones and nexus tablets.

Every laptop still works, but eh they have lovely track pads, wobbly plastic hinges, drive cover doors falling off etc. The girlfriends macbook pro? Works as good as it did the day it was built, looks great, nothings falling off, and she loves it. I'm jealous.

I had a nexus 7, Liked it. It was neat and I enjoyed it for a little bit. Sold it to a goon. Decided "Tablets arent for me, wont use em".

Carried dozens of android phones after my 3GS, enjoyed them.

Fast forward to this last month.
Picked up an iPad mini 3. Love it. Love the gently caress out of it. I use it all the time, for tons of things and it just "works". I dont have to gently caress with it, the battery lasts for seemingly ever, and it feels so nice in my hands.

Get an edge upgrade and decide gently caress it, I wanna jump on the iPhone bandwagon again for a bit. Grab a 6+. Loving the hell out of it. Simple things like taking a photo are just so much more "friendly" if that makes sense.

My G3 takes great wonderful photos. Camera is awesome. Love it. But I shake like gently caress. Seriously I shake a lot. Arthritis and poo poo. So taking a super clear solid photo with my G3 took a few shots sometimes. My 6+, GFs 5s? Every photo I take comes out clear, crisp, in focus. Its a true joy to take photos again. Before on Android, while things had really nice good camera hardware the software was always a let down. Sure I could download camera apps and tweek poo poo but I just want to use it.

I'll still recommend android to people, I'll end up with whatever next motorola comes out I'm sure. But right now I totally "get it" again after carrying apple again. Closest thing to date that felt this nice was moto devices. Well and the HTC M7/8. Build quality is so clean. Nothing else just feels that premium. Maybe the new galaxy will finally make nice feeling hardware a thing.

Speaking of android poo poo. I have a brand new G3 sitting here. Sell it to the roommate or flip it for a new moto X? Cant decide and I really need to do something with it before value tanks on it.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 4, 2015

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

This post has solidified the choice that I am NOT going to buy a Nexus 5 and shall pick up a 6. :v:

I wouldn't say it's Nexus S levels.

I don't have nearly some of the extreme issues people have been describing, but there's enough people with similar issues that I won't dismiss them. My main complaints are just with battery life, it's just inexplicably bad sometimes. While some of it I can chalk up to being on T-Mobile inside brick buildings most of the day, it's bad even when I put it into airplane mode and turn on wifi. But when I'm at home, it's just fine.

I've also had some process go crazy and ramp the processor to max when I charge it, leaving me with only 50 or 60% on the battery when I wake up.

It's just enough of a bother to me to make me consider getting either the One M9 or S6 when they come out. I'm willing to deal with it as a backup device.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guillermus posted:

At least on the N6, it's Google's camera software that's a pile of poo poo, not the sensor hardware itself.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

EbolaIvory posted:

Speaking of android poo poo. I have a brand new G3 sitting here. Sell it to the roommate or flip it for a new moto X? Cant decide and I really need to do something with it before value tanks on it.

I recommend flipping it for a Moto X, there's a promotion running until the 10th where you can get a 16 GB Moto X (32 and 64 GB phones don't appear to be discounted) and get a free pair of Bluetooth headphones.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."

Kind of thought it would be a software setting. Oh well.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

At least on the N6, it's Google's camera software that's a pile of poo poo, not the sensor hardware itself.

Nah, it's the hardware; and you see it over and over again in a lot of Android phones. Such a small sensor with comparatively tiny pixels will have a lot of trouble with low light due to nothing but physics/noise reduction algorithms ripping out detail.

Tbh the processing on the N6 is probably one of the better attempts at it for that same sensor outside of the Note 4. The stock Lollipop camera API is far better at it than the KitKat one. Many of the advantages offered by phones like the Z3 are the result of a larger sensor able to collect more light.

It'll be interesting to see how the Panasonic CM1 will do with a 1 inch sensor when it hits the market.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I meant to bring this up a couple of pages ago. Does video on the N6 constantly lose and try to regain focus? I'm wondering if this is software or hardware based.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I meant to bring this up a couple of pages ago. Does video on the N6 constantly lose and try to regain focus? I'm wondering if this is software or hardware based.

I filmed some video at a concert I was at a few weeks ago, so some pretty difficult lighting, and it did not have trouble focusing for the most part. Only had a few issues when the stage lights were all crazy.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Drama Llama posted:

Kind of thought it would be a software setting. Oh well.

The car probably doesn't support USB audio. I don't know if the S5 active does either. The car stereo is most likely using your phone as a flash drive to play music.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
I hope Android 5.1 fixes the terrible rear end battery on my Nexus 5, its driving me crazy.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Anyone that ordered one of the Black Friday Vu's having issues with charge rate?

I have a black one that I got about a year ago, and it's great as always. Buy my new BF red one is atrocious, it barely keeps up with idle drain.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes. :(

As mentioned it's great for a day after a reboot but it's poo poo thereafter. Battery drain is insane and I can't even open hangouts by itself without a glacially bad launcher redraw. With Qi making GBS threads out I have zero reason to keep it.

New thread title owns.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 5, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Maker Of Shoes posted:

As mentioned it's great for a day after a reboot but it's poo poo thereafter. Battery drain is insane and I can't even open hangouts by itself without a glacially bad launcher redraw. With Qi making GBS threads out I have zero reason to keep it.
I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I do reboot mine every so often after getting Lollipop but not that much. It's at 135 hours right now with no redraws, no problems launching anything, nothing being kicked out of memory. I preemptively reboot it before I use nav because it kicked that out once and it sucked. Qi still works on my Vu and the official Nexus wireless charger and is the only way I charge my phone.

I really hate rebooting it; makes me feel like I have a Gingerbread phone again.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

New thread title owns.

It does own, I know the pain first-hand.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My N5 is getting rebooted maybe once a week. The difference afterwards is pretty noticeable.

For all the "wow lollipop will be amazing folks, trust us" talk before it came out, lollipop is definitely, um, questionable.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I reboot once a day. Google took a dump in my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Current uptime on Lollipop: 308h33m10s

Current memory issues: None

Number of times the launcher has redrawn: 0

Condition: Perfect

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Moto Maxx uptime: 410 hours
Nexus 5 uptime: 653 hours

To be fair, though, I currently only use the Nexus 5 as a glorified ipod touch. The Moto Maxx is the one getting a workout as a nerdplan prepaid phone. Still, though, Chrome and Google Music and no weird kills or redraws or anything, but then I'm not running loving Facebook+Messenger in the background on it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 5, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The thing I'm not understanding about is if it's this busted for you, why don't you just roll back? There's nothing stopping you and what you've got is obviously not working for you.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What's the general opinion of the Sony xperia z, will it be as crippled by bloatware as my note2¿

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Xperia Z3 Phone = Best Phone

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

Anyone that ordered one of the Black Friday Vu's having issues with charge rate?

I have a black one that I got about a year ago, and it's great as always. Buy my new BF red one is atrocious, it barely keeps up with idle drain.

This happens with my Black Friday Vu and Nexus 4. It would maybe charge the phone 5% overnight. I tried emailing their customer service but never heard anything back.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

Xperia Z3 Phone = Best Phone

It's actually a 2013 z, plain ole z.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Recycled Karma posted:

This happens with my Black Friday Vu and Nexus 4. It would maybe charge the phone 5% overnight. I tried emailing their customer service but never heard anything back.
This is really disappointing because the non-Black Friday Vus I have are so good. There's nothing worse than when a company makes a great product and gets a reputation for that then they switch suppliers without telling* and then it all goes to poo poo.

*I do want to say I understand the position they're in. Being undercut by cheap Chinese goods and running what's obviously a small company with razor-thin margins making niche products is not an enviable position to be in. Still I think you should stick by your principles.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

always be closing posted:

What's the general opinion of the Sony xperia z, will it be as crippled by bloatware as my note2¿

the software is way more reserved than Note 2's.

The battery is quite small and its specs are getting long in the tooth though. If you can spend a little more the Z1 is a significant upgrade. If not look for a Nexus 5 or Moto X 2013, those are cheap and better than the Z.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Yes the memory leak problem with Lollipop is lovely and it will apparently be fixed in 5.1.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna check out the specs on those phones, really would like a similar size screen to my note2.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

The thing I'm not understanding about is if it's this busted for you, why don't you just roll back? There's nothing stopping you and what you've got is obviously not working for you.

Because sitting with a persistent "there's an update available" notification would drive me up a wall just as bad.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Not only that but going backwards is a huge pain in the rear end.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lblitzer posted:

Not only that but going backwards is a huge pain in the rear end.

Eh, for a Nexus its just downloading the factory image from Google and typing flash-all.bat in a command prompt.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Because sitting with a persistent "there's an update available" notification would drive me up a wall just as bad.
Long press > App Info > Block notification

You wouldn't see the notification and it will work as it did.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Long press > App Info > Block notification

You wouldn't see the notification and it will work as it did.

You can block system notifications? Well I'll be damned.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You can block system notifications? Well I'll be damned.

I remember trying this in the past and it didn't work. I't would be nice to see proof that it will work before rolling back. I feel the exact same way as Maker Of Shoes does. Same memory leaks and app crashing, etc.. I'm about to flash a Custom ROM to avoid this all. But I really enjoy the stock experience...if it was working as I expected it to.

I am also off contract, so I could technically go back on contract and get a shiny new phone....But I love my N5 still, if it wasn't for these current issues.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Another indication that a 5.1 release is highly imminent, along with a corresponding API level 22.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

LastInLine posted:

This is really disappointing because the non-Black Friday Vus I have are so good. There's nothing worse than when a company makes a great product and gets a reputation for that then they switch suppliers without telling* and then it all goes to poo poo.

*I do want to say I understand the position they're in. Being undercut by cheap Chinese goods and running what's obviously a small company with razor-thin margins making niche products is not an enviable position to be in. Still I think you should stick by your principles.

Any idea if they went back to better suppliers after the Black Friday ones? I've been strongly considering getting their car mount as I need one that fits my Nexus 6, but half the reason I wanted it was the quality of Tylt's stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

100% correct.

More like 400% correct. Uninstall Facebook Messenger and suddenly things are OK. The memory leak is still present but I only get launcher redraw when I do poo poo like go to a webpage that's full of flash poo poo and background music and embedded video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Recycled Karma posted:

I just sent a customer service e-mail as well. Hopefully I'm not ignored!