Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

gently caress it, reprint Force and immediately ban it in Modern. :devil:

This except instead unban the stuff they need Force to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

I'm sorry I didn't go to college for Art Degree and I'm just a simple man who loves counterspells!

If you love counterspells you should know about more than one of them.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 5, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Elyv posted:

personally I'm shocked that they're reprinting Bargain

no, not Yawgmoth's Bargain, this one
I want an entire set illustrated by Phil Foglio.

Bonus points if that set is Return to New Phyrexia.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yawgmoth posted:

Foglio and diTerlizzi, my dream team.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's definitely Force of Will, and they're going to spoil it along with the Wasteland reprint which is also assuredly in this set.

Wasteland confirmed as 249/264?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Are you ready for the cutest myrs you've ever seen? :kimchi:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

First Bass posted:

Finally won a Modern tournament, even if the turnout was only 18 peeps. Beat out over R/G aggro, Burn, Ad Nauseam and Junk in that order as Merfolk :feelsgood:

Mainboarding Spreading Seas is great because it can really screw people out of that second/third color, and it means you'll almost always be able to swing unchallenged (RG couldn't play any red and missed GG costs left and right, while the Junk player Decay'd a Seas only to see another one the next turn. In spite of their getting out a Phyrexian Unlife, I didn't even realize I was playing Ad Nauseam until they combo'd out the second game. The only feeling better than Spell Piercing a Lotus Bloom when your opponent didn't realize it could be countered is Remanding it :getin:

Isn't the point of Merfolk to cast Spreading Seas on an opponent so that all your Merfolk can't be blocked? Even so I'm down with Modern tribal, my first Modern deck was a Goblins deck that I still have and I spent an afternoon last weekend thinking up a Sliver deck for Modern that kind of gave me Merfolk vibes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

Isn't the point of Merfolk to cast Spreading Seas on an opponent so that all your Merfolk can't be blocked? Even so I'm down with Modern tribal, my first Modern deck was a Goblins deck that I still have and I spent an afternoon last weekend thinking up a Sliver deck for Modern that kind of gave me Merfolk vibes.

Generally when you play Merfolk you will side out the seas if by any chance your opponent is also playing islands because you don't need to meet that condition.

But then you have poo poo like Jeskai Control which isn't about that all Islands life so you Seas their Steam Vents and Hallowed Fountains and make them sad.

On that mention I also 3-0'd my local modern tournament as Merfolk, nobody was expecting to see fish and so I won all my games handily.

It feels really good to Vapor Snag an Inkmoth Nexus that's been pumped by Pendelhaven and Groundswell for 5 lethal poison and watch them scoop. Really, really does.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Usually Spreading Seas is a sideboard option because lots of decks run blue anyways, or if they don't you hope to get a bigger field out faster (which Seas doesn't necessarily help with). I prefer it and it tends to work better mainboard in my meta, but many people see fit to keep it sideboard.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Dragonlords Servant is at least the best goblin art printed in the past 5 years or so

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gyshall posted:

Dragonlords Servant is at least the best goblin art printed in the past 5 years or so

New Goblin Sharpshooter?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bhsman posted:

New Goblin Sharpshooter?

I dislike that art quite a bit

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gyshall posted:

I think its an alt art promo and the regular one is less good though

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

How can you hate that art? It's amazing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Rinkles posted:

We can't be goon-friends any more. :colbert:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Because OG Sharpshooter is best Sharpshooter.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Count Bleck posted:

It's funnier at first, but once the humor wears off I'd rather look at the original.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Because:

Madmarker posted:

Because OG Sharpshooter is best Sharpshooter.

but seriously, it just looks like silver bordered card art to me

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah it might be nostalgia for a ridiculous card talking (you have no idea how godly sharpshooter is if you never played it in limited) but the OG wooden gatling gun is a less monkeycheese bit of humor. The new one is good though, just not as good.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's one group of goblins that's the scrappy, inventive underdogs, and then there are the goblins that are silly comic relief. I like the scrappy kind better, and they're still very funny sometimes. Of course, my favourite goblin flavourwise is a bit of both:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Weird that Salt Road Ambushers is the only card in the cycle of uncommon Megamorph creatures with a clan watermark

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I really like this block's goblins in general for having a little more personality than your typical Goblin Jobnames.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

goferchan posted:

Weird that Salt Road Ambushers is the only card in the cycle of uncommon Megamorph creatures with a clan watermark

The white, black, and green ones all have watermarks. Still weird that the whole cycle either does or doesn't, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Still can't get over this poo poo

>>

>>

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

The white, black, and green ones all have watermarks. Still weird that the whole cycle either does or doesn't, though.

It makes sense, though, because the red one is this force of nature that exists independent of the dragons, and the blue one is just this tiny salamander that evades the attention of any of the dragons. The others serve the dragon broods to some extent.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Still can't get over this poo poo

>>

>>

I can't get over how there hasn't been a good Goblin printed in about 5 years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

ugh

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rabblemaster's feelings are going to be hurt by this post.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Uhh, Rabblemaster? It's no Goblin Guide but it's been one of the most influential cards in standard since it came out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Starving Autist posted:

It makes sense, though, because the red one is this force of nature that exists independent of the dragons, and the blue one is just this tiny salamander that evades the attention of any of the dragons. The others serve the dragon broods to some extent.

I'm not saying the flavor of each card doesn't make sense; they do. What's weird to me is wizards printing a cycle that's partially watermarked, although as I'm typing this I'm realizing that it's not really a cycle and more a group of dudes that all happen to be uncommon megamorphs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hordeling Outburst is a pretty good goblin.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rabblemaster's pretty good. I don't think it'd be good in Legacy Goblins, specifically, but nobody plays it anymore anyway so how would we know?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Rabblemaster's pretty good. I don't think it'd be good in Legacy Goblins, specifically, but nobody plays it anymore anyway so how would we know?

Nobody plays the deck anymore because there hasn't been a good Goblin printed for it in 5 years. Elves got a format defining 1/2 that ramps packaged with some of the best graveyard hate ever printed. Merfolk got a format defining 3/1 that literally can't be killed by 90% of played removal in Legacy. Goblins got a gray ogre that farts out 1/1s and makes all your other dudes kill themselves.

Hmm

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a shame, I guess legacy is just too hostile to any creature that isn't a horrible mistake of a card.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's a shame, I guess legacy is just too hostile to any creature that isn't a horrible mistake of a card.

Hmm yes Brimaz, Thalia, Monastery Mentor and Eidolon of the Great Revel are all abominations of nature that never should've seen the light of day

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Have they explained the flavor of megamorph? I mean, in this block, morph is supposed to represent draconic "conealment magic", so is megamorph just that plus an extra bonus because they got the magic directly from the dragons? :shrug:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Starving Autist posted:

Have they explained the flavor of megamorph? I mean, in this block, morph is supposed to represent draconic "conealment magic", so is megamorph just that plus an extra bonus because they got the magic directly from the dragons? :shrug:

Its morph, but different because time travel.

No, that's basically the flavor justification and design goal.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Elyv posted:

I'm not saying the flavor of each card doesn't make sense; they do. What's weird to me is wizards printing a cycle that's partially watermarked, although as I'm typing this I'm realizing that it's not really a cycle and more a group of dudes that all happen to be uncommon megamorphs.

It probably is a cycle, but they don't put watermarks on cards that go in multiple intro decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Symphonie posted:

It probably is a cycle, but they don't put watermarks on cards that go in multiple intro decks.

It's a cycle in the sense that it's 5 uncommon megamorph dudes, one in each color, but the similarities basically end there. They're all costed differently, behave differently when played, and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

It's a cycle in the sense that it's 5 uncommon megamorph dudes, one in each color, but the similarities basically end there. They're all costed differently, behave differently when played, and so forth.

Right, it's a cycle centered around having a common mechanic. It's purely mechanical. Watermarks, on the other hand, have no mechanical implications. They're pure flavor. Mechanical cycles do not have to be flavor cycles, and vice versa, though we often get cycles that function as both (e.g. the dragonlords).

• Locked thread