Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Are there any decent sound mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

saber45 posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43773/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54387/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24805/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35286/

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

saber45 posted:

Audio Overhaul is the prime contender. You can combine it with Immersive Sounds, Sounds of Skyrim for an even richer texture, and a host of weather mods with WAO Patch by UnmeiX.

I need to heap great praise on UnmeiX, he makes amazing compatibility patches, especially if you're playing Requiem (which you should).

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

Audio Overhaul is the prime contender. You can combine it with Immersive Sounds, Sounds of Skyrim for an even richer texture, and a host of weather mods with WAO Patch by UnmeiX.

I need to heap great praise on UnmeiX, he makes amazing compatibility patches, especially if you're playing Requiem (which you should).

I could just ask somebody to kick me in the balls instead, and I wouldn't even need a compatibility patch for that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Agents are GO! posted:

I'll be honest, that Mod Order looks all kinds of hosed. MO seriously hasn't given you a warning about it in the upper right on the /!\ button? There's usually an option there to automatically fix it too.
No warnings.

Is there anything I can do to make a better load order? I ran LOOT from within MO, but that only fixes the plugin priority.

Agents are GO! posted:

EDit: Dragonborn gallery also comes as two fairly large downloads, at least it did when I tried it. Did you install them in the same mod?

I let the patch overwrite files in the base install. Uninstalled everything and reinstalled. Still messed up. :mad:

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

axolotl farmer posted:

I let the patch overwrite files in the base install. Uninstalled everything and reinstalled. Still messed up. :mad:

Any ideas on how to fix it?

When you do this with MO you are completely deleting all the files of the original install with the second install. Instead of Overwriting anything, rename the second install so they become listed as two separate mods in the left pane. Set the two in the proper order and it should work.

As for your mod order as a whole.

Since you are using the Optimized Vanilla Textures, this should be the start of your mod order. NO ifs, ands or buts. Following should be your HD DLC, and its patches and reoptimized textures.

Following that it's all kind of up in the air. Examine each of your mods with conflicts (the Lightning bolt icons) and decide where they should in relation to each other based on what YOU want.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I'll add that the easiest way to check left-pane overwrites is to look only at red minus sign lightning bolts. Start at the top and check the conflicts on each red minus sign and ensure that you're ok with the overwrites. Some overwrites are obvious and well-documented (i.e. If you want Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade to affect mining settings then make sure it overwrites everything before) but others are just up to personal preference.

The reason you want to ignore the green plus signs in favor of my approach is that because many mods overwrite vanilla assets, and you already know that's what you want to do.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I just bought this from steam and I'm new to the genre and stuff. The list of recommended mods for first playthrough in the OP is enormous...is there some sort of simple package or something I can download?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Business posted:

I just bought this from steam and I'm new to the genre and stuff. The list of recommended mods for first playthrough in the OP is enormous...is there some sort of simple package or something I can download?

This comes up often and unfortunately the answer is no. The Skyrim mod scene is unnecessarily fragmented. You can still get good advice if you are specific about exactly what you want to change about the game. There's also nothing wrong with playing with Vanilla Skyrim.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Business posted:

Yeah, play vanilla until you find something you dislike. Vanilla Skyrim is perfectly playable.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Except SKSE and SkyUI is kinda mandatory if you want to utilize keyboard and mouse in any respectable capacity, with unofficial patches for Skyrim and possibly Dawnguard/Dragonborn. Most of the other mods are not almost necessary like these.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only really obvious mod that almost everyone agrees on is SkyUI, which makes inventory management and stuff suck less.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, play vanilla until you find something you dislike. Vanilla Skyrim is perfectly playable.

This x 1,000. If you absolutely MUST use mods, try to stick with just the unofficial patches and graphics/ui enhancers, nothing that adds new content or changes it up. You'll appreciate the game much, much more after a solid vanilla run, and it'll get you more worked up on what you might want to see in a new run.
As you mod, you'll likely encounter come kind of problems that'll result in load order tweaking, compatibility issues, etc and you'll be spending time testing instead of actually playing, especially when you get to 100 or 200+ mods (easier than it sounds). Once you get everything stable, though....
That is, until you see "oh, poo poo, is that an unarmed attacks overhaul mod?!?" *install* *immediate CTD* :argh:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

How much you want to gently caress with the game before playing is up to you, but here's how it breaks down for me:

Level 0: just play vanilla. It's pretty fun.

Level 1: Unofficial patches. They just fix broken poo poo, which is good, and there are at max four of them depending on what DLC you have.

Level 2: Get Mod Organizer. You won't regret it.

Level 2.5: You didn't get Mod Organizer. You got other mods instead. It was really interesting, but now Skyrim is full of ponies or mudcrabs with hats or whatever, and you can't figure out how to get rid of some of it. Also, your game crashes now. Reinstall, get Mod Organizer.

Level 3+: Everything else. G.E.M.S. is a good overview of mods, as is the OP. At some point figure out TES5Edit and make a merged patch. Opinions will vary on what is necessary. I've never bothered with ENBs and only have SkyUI because of mods that require it.

I'd start at vanilla or the unofficial patches, play for a bit, expect to trash your first playthrough after you mod the hell out of things.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Business posted:

The list of recommended mods for first playthrough in the OP is enormous..

It really isn't though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You just need SkyUI and the unofficial patches IMO

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Business posted:

I would say that lists labeled 2C, 2D, and 2E here are a good base for an improved vanilla game: http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:Guide

Following STEP 100% of the way through seems like a huge hassle and I've never done it, but those lists of mods (i.e. just "Extenders," "Fixes," and "Interface") are solid and not too much of a pain in the rear end. And if something there does look like a pain in the rear end, skip it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I have a super weird bug. While using an ENB, if I press the key to toggle POV my character briefly turns transparent as a transition and toggling back means my first-person weapon is slightly transparent as well. Using the scroll wheel doesn't cause this issue. I know it's related to ENB because it goes away when it's disabled (shift+f12). I'm also using Skyrim Enhanced Camera.

It's not a big deal but it's just bizarre.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Currently having a dick-waving slap fight with Better Vampires and its stupid scripts not running properly. After going through its somewhat extensive uninstall and reinstall process I think I kinda have it working now, albeit kind of precariously. Does it pose a long term problem with scripts/stability if I just load this dumb mod at the end of my load order and don't fold it into my batch and merged patches?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

graynull posted:

Currently having a dick-waving slap fight with Better Vampires and its stupid scripts not running properly. After going through its somewhat extensive uninstall and reinstall process I think I kinda have it working now, albeit kind of precariously. Does it pose a long term problem with scripts/stability if I just load this dumb mod at the end of my load order and don't fold it into my batch and merged patches?

What scripts weren't running properly? I've been running with it nonstop (just hit the highest vampire rank and its loving sweet.)

BV Protip: install Sneak Tools (with its 2014 patch), cut throats and feed simultaneously.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
My Skyrim is successful modded and relatively crash/bug free with just about 250 mods. I guess I'll just stop when I get to the limit but it's pretty perfect right now. GOTY 2015 imo

Anyway the only awful bug I had was Serana was stuck walking extremely slowly through the entirety of the Dawnguard questline- something hosed up her stamina in such a way where it's giving a NaN (not a number) value:

All those 'stamina slow's are from PerMa, but I looked at each one, and they all have numerical values, so I don't know if that's the issue unless the issue is simply that there are too many slows on her. This hasn't happened to any other NPC. I finished the questline so it's not really a problem but it was annoying as hell.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

What scripts weren't running properly? I've been running with it nonstop (just hit the highest vampire rank and its loving sweet.)

BV Protip: install Sneak Tools (with its 2014 patch), cut throats and feed simultaneously.

None of the scripts were working, as per the MCM status menu. It recognized me as a vampire but said the scripts weren't running so feeding wasn't doing anything. I've had it happen before, last time I played like a year or so ago as have a number of people on the nexus BV forum it looks like.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

When you do this with MO you are completely deleting all the files of the original install with the second install. Instead of Overwriting anything, rename the second install so they become listed as two separate mods in the left pane. Set the two in the proper order and it should work.

As for your mod order as a whole.

Since you are using the Optimized Vanilla Textures, this should be the start of your mod order. NO ifs, ands or buts. Following should be your HD DLC, and its patches and reoptimized textures.

Following that it's all kind of up in the air. Examine each of your mods with conflicts (the Lightning bolt icons) and decide where they should in relation to each other based on what YOU want.

That fixed it! Thanks a lot :respek:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

graynull posted:

None of the scripts were working, as per the MCM status menu. It recognized me as a vampire but said the scripts weren't running so feeding wasn't doing anything. I've had it happen before, last time I played like a year or so ago as have a number of people on the nexus BV forum it looks like.

I think you might have to use the console and set yourself as a vampire of your race so that you get the proper tags as undead and vampire. It should be something like setrace [race]racevampire once you've gained vampirism. Regarding load order, I'd change the priority so that it is the last mod before merged + bashed + skyproc patches to be on the safe side.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I decided to try my hand at some Cap'n Beeb'ing:

Spectraverse Spells.

I speak fire, bitches! Now what?

Huh? I still can't hear you!

asis.jpg

~ya got necromancy problems, I feel bad for ya son~
~I got ninety-nine problems, but a lich ain't one~

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Fallout New Whiterun

Vodkahead
Jun 4, 2007

Duck and burger posted:

Fallout New Whiterun

Mead, mead never changes.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

This is true for the most part, but I think the one exception is if you want to be a destruction mage. Even if the low variety in the spells doesn't bother you, the lack of proper damage scaling probably will.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Except SKSE and SkyUI is kinda mandatory if you want to utilize keyboard and mouse in any respectable capacity, with unofficial patches for Skyrim and possibly Dawnguard/Dragonborn. Most of the other mods are not almost necessary like these.

Yeah, I'd definitely say you should at least get SkyUI. It's simply better in every way, there's no reason not to use it, and you'll have the MCM system ready for when you do start modding.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone know where I can find MysteryModder's mods? Banned from the shithole of the Nexus but I'm trying to do a SMC install and it is asking for a few of his mods.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Anyone know where I can find MysteryModder's mods? Banned from the shithole of the Nexus but I'm trying to do a SMC install and it is asking for a few of his mods.

that's the mystery part

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gyshall posted:

SMC team's stance on this seems to be "well, that's not our problem!" I tried to look for some Nexus-banned mod for a SMC and this is the only response I could find.

Dr. Knothead
Mar 28, 2012
I'm currently working on a plugin for a once-a-day power that adds a few empty soul gems to the player's inventory. This is my first foray into papyrus and so far I've gotten the script worked out to check for the player's level and to add a soul gem based on that (1-9=petty gem, 10-19=lesser gem, etc.).

Now I'm wondering how to add scaling based on the player's conjuration skill so that higher conjuration skill would give the player more soul gems of the appropriate quality. Is this something I would also add in papyrus or is it something I can add in the creation kit under the specific spell/spell effect?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Anyone know of a good mod to add more colors/variations of the Alteration magelight and candlelight spells? I'm looking for some more flavorful options like a flame orb and other such options, at least in color. I've taken a look at things like 'Colorful Magic' but it looks like it adds a ton more than that and perhaps doesn't even do that.

Speaking of which, has anyone used Colorful Magic and have any opinions on it? It looked interesting, though the enemies and followers and whatnot it can add made me dubious of the quality and possible mod bloat.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So locational damage apparently breaks save something fierce. It certainly breaks scripts with a heckuv a lot of script bloat. I really just use it for those instant kill headshots. There anything that does similar?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

The Iron Rose posted:

So locational damage apparently breaks save something fierce. It certainly breaks scripts with a heckuv a lot of script bloat. I really just use it for those instant kill headshots. There anything that does similar?

You might be interested in Ultimate Combat. It has headshots among other settings you can toggle, I don't think the enemies aim for your face though.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
How do I makea follower (from more interesting npcs I think.) to be "mortal". The eff option of setting him to default doesn't seem to work. For clarity I want him to be killable by other npcs as I'm doing a hardcore playthrough. vanilla followers die fine when I get into over my head but this guy goes into the downed state.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

AlexanderCA posted:

How do I makea follower (from more interesting npcs I think.) to be "mortal". The eff option of setting him to default doesn't seem to work. For clarity I want him to be killable by other npcs as I'm doing a hardcore playthrough. vanilla followers die fine when I get into over my head but this guy goes into the downed state.

Ultimate Follower Overhaul. Make any follower essential, and vice versa. You're able to change their default outfit. Have them learn new spells. All kinds of good poo poo.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Ultimate Follower Overhaul. Make any follower essential, and vice versa. You're able to change their default outfit. Have them learn new spells. All kinds of good poo poo.

Might be outdated info, but UFO has a reputation for being buggy and poorly compatible, and the consensus at least use to be to go with Extensible Follower Framework instead.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I used to use Amazing Follower Tweaks, any opinions about how that holds up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Can anyone recommend a mod that improves 3rd person combat, maybe adding dodge rolling?

• Locked thread