Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Re-reading Hicky's FF run, and in the very first FF issue proper, there's quote "a Galactus Incursion" that the Council of Reeds addresses

This means something. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Perhaps we should chart and graph it!

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Gaz-L posted:

FF was never a big seller. Like ever.

FF was red hot in the 80s when John Byrne was writing and drawing it.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

BP's lifeboat looks familiar...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

How is Cyclops a gently caress up? He's been awesome in everything since Schism..

Whoa are we at an incursion point because I want to visit your alternate world where Bendis writes good X-books.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
The books aren't good but as a character he's been right about everything and he's basically Professor X and Magneto and Wolverine wrapped in one now.

SirDan3k posted:

What does that really mean when the margins on the print books is slim enough to shave atoms with though?

By that logic maybe Marvel won't produce comic books anymore, just movies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw man I feel bad for Roberto's board of directors.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

Whoa are we at an incursion point because I want to visit your alternate world where Bendis writes good X-books.

All New X-Men is a Bendis book and I've enjoyed the hell out of it. I haven't read much of Uncanny though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

loving hell I love Cyclops. Has he always had the Phoenix Egg just sitting around chilling somewhere or is this a new revelation?

Also when is Reed gonna shave that beard

This is something that's gonna happen in "time runs out" I'm pretty sure.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Web Jew.0 posted:

By that logic maybe Marvel won't produce comic books anymore, just movies.

That's where it's headed. Either digital takes over or comics die.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

SirDan3k posted:

It still makes a profit, it acts as a continual generation engine for the very profitable movie and toys/goods divisions, and it'd be a very public black eye if they just withdrew. Things could eventually go all digital, but there's not going to be some collective "Ok, no more comics anymore, goodbye!" moment.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

Digital is already important as its one of the main reason Ms. Marvel has not been cancelled as its a huge seller for them in that format. It also has the power of amazon behind it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Neo_Reloaded posted:

It still makes a profit, it acts as a continual generation engine for the very profitable movie and toys/goods divisions, and it'd be a very public black eye if they just withdrew. Things could eventually go all digital, but there's not going to be some collective "Ok, no more comics anymore, goodbye!" moment.

More importantly, there is a market there. For a leader in any marketplace to just throw in the towel is a stupid decision.

Especially because, let's be honest, no one really knows how interlinked the comics and the movies actually are financially. The comics are perfect sounding boards to test plots, characterisations, relationships etc to see what works for the films. The Tumblr fandom may not buy the comics, but they reblog the gently caress out of badass/funny/shipping panels and that builds a strong attachment to the MCU. Plus most Marvel merchandising doesn't use the movie imagery, it uses comic art and often very old four-colour art at that. It's impossible to say how much revenue these extra benefits bring in, but it must be substantial.

Big litmus test will be when Stan Lee croaks I reckon. If there was ever a time to say "He created wonderful characters in one medium, and he lived long enough to see them live on in another" then yeah alarm bells. But that won't happen.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bobkatt013 posted:

Digital is already important as its one of the main reason Ms. Marvel has not been cancelled as its a huge seller for them in that format. It also has the power of amazon behind it.
Ms. Marvel is (apparently) a big seller digitally, but it's a solid mid-tier title in single printed issues as well.

Apparently it didn't have an issue shipped last month, but in December it was selling over 30,000 copies which is well above the modern cancellation line and outsold a big portion of Marvel's output including Hulk, Punisher, Captain Marvel, and Fantastic Four.

For a new-ish character who is both female and non-white, even in traditional venues, Ms. Marvel is a remarkable success. Assuming its non-traditional sales are gangbusters and well above its (narrowly) better selling contemporaries like Daredevil, it's REALLY successful. But even in a world without digital or Amazon trades, Ms. Marvel is doing well.

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

CUT, CUT, CUT! I said MORE prancing, damnit!
Hope this is the right thread.

I'm trying to catch up on Hickman's Avengers stuff to get up to speed in time for Secret Wars. I've got all of Avengers, New Avengers, the six issues of Infinity, and Avengers World, based on what the guy at the comic store told me. Then I realized I should really check with the internet before I dig in, so is there anything I have that's unnecessary, or something I missed? Is there a particular reading order?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Nah, that's all of it. Avengers World is enjoyable but not strictly necessary.

E: except the last couple of issues.

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

Dreqqus posted:

Nah, that's all of it. Avengers World is enjoyable but not strictly necessary.

E: except the last couple of issues.

Awesome. Do I need to read it in any particular order to get what's going on, like am I going to go "Hey who's that guy?" and then in the middle of another series I'll be like "Ohhhh that's who that guy was" or something like that?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There's probably some stupid chronological list somewhere, but just start with Avengers, finish the first arc, then swap to the first New Avengers arc, after that, it's pretty much just Avengers up until Infinity, then they both tie in, then it's back to just whatever pace you want to read them at.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 6, 2015

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Reading the first arc of NA first is a good idea but publication order is just 1 issue of New Avengers for every 2 issues of Avengers.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Wrong thread. I suck.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Yue posted:

I'm trying to catch up on Hickman's Avengers stuff to get up to speed in time for Secret Wars. I've got all of Avengers, New Avengers, the six issues of Infinity, and Avengers World, based on what the guy at the comic store told me. Then I realized I should really check with the internet before I dig in, so is there anything I have that's unnecessary, or something I missed? Is there a particular reading order?
You're good. I hope you got the New Avengers Annual too, as it was pretty sweet. Here's my recommended reading order, but overall, outside of Infinity and Time Runs Out onward, you're really not locked into any kind of super-strict sequence.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

Ms. Marvel is (apparently) a big seller digitally, but it's a solid mid-tier title in single printed issues as well.

Apparently it didn't have an issue shipped last month, but in December it was selling over 30,000 copies which is well above the modern cancellation line and outsold a big portion of Marvel's output including Hulk, Punisher, Captain Marvel, and Fantastic Four.

For a new-ish character who is both female and non-white, even in traditional venues, Ms. Marvel is a remarkable success. Assuming its non-traditional sales are gangbusters and well above its (narrowly) better selling contemporaries like Daredevil, it's REALLY successful. But even in a world without digital or Amazon trades, Ms. Marvel is doing well.

There was a quote in the chat thread saying its combined print and digital sales are higher than Uncanny X-Men's, which means even if Uncanny were selling exactly zero digital copies (obviously not the case), Ms. Marvel would be selling an additional 23,000 copies in digital.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Yue posted:

loving enjoy man Avengers/NA is a hell of a ride.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

loving enjoy man Avengers/NA is a hell of a ride.

I don't think theres ever before been a series where I've exclaimed "Holy poo poo!" out loud at the last page of three issues in a row.

Yue
Jun 3, 2012

redbackground posted:

You're good. I hope you got the New Avengers Annual too, as it was pretty sweet. Here's my recommended reading order, but overall, outside of Infinity and Time Runs Out onward, you're really not locked into any kind of super-strict sequence.

I'm gonna try this list. Thank you for the help, everyone! It's been a long time but I'm excited to dive into a huge series again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't think theres ever before been a series where I've exclaimed "Holy poo poo!" out loud at the last page of three issues in a row.

I dropped like three holy shits in the last issue alone.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

I dropped like three holy shits in the last issue alone.

Maybe you want to watch how many communion wafers you're eating!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I admit that one actually made me laugh out loud.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

:pusheen:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Dad jokes itt, you have been warned.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

Big green guy holding crying rock man is more beautiful than it really should be.

If BSS had a tag line it should be this. It sums up all comic books.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Is anyone else reading most of this whole epic and not really understanding it all but still enthralled?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What do you need help with? This is one of those books that having people to talk about it with is a huge help. There's so many moving pieces under the hood, you might need a mechanic to tell you what exactly makes it run.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Vitamin P posted:

Is anyone else reading most of this whole epic and not really understanding it all but still enthralled?

I've admittedly missed some things that I only later understood when BSS posters pointed it out (I thought the Beyonders were with Pym and not just a picture projection, for example) but the basis of the story is really easy to understand. Reed spells it out in NA#2 and even has graphs on it to literally illustrate the situation.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The only issue that went over my head was that one Avengers where something really weird happens to alpha or omega flight or something at the site of one of the evolution bombs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

What don't you understand? I mean, we still don't know the main whys behind the destruction of the multiverses, or what's the real deal with Rabum Alal, but we're not supposed to yet. Otherwise, ask away!

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

What's the backstory behind the "big hitters" that have been shown so far? Specifically I'd be referring to the Beyonder(s) and the Living Tribunal. I'm not too well versed with Marvel lore.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cheap Trick posted:

What's the backstory behind the "big hitters" that have been shown so far? Specifically I'd be referring to the Beyonder(s) and the Living Tribunal. I'm not too well versed with Marvel lore.

If you've seen Guardians of the Galaxy, you probably remember Yondu, the blue guy who could control his space-dart by whistling at it. The original Beyonder was just a clone of that guy—the "Beta-Yondu". He appeared as part of a some dumb story about the High Evolutionary (by Steve Englehart? Not 100% sure), and wouldn't even be a footnote if not for a later story. During Walt Simonson's Thor run, Beta-Yondu returns—except instead of just one guy, there's now a whole planet of them. Turns out Beta-Yondu decided that two Yondus running around the universe created too great a risk that they'd interfere with each other's lives—mistaken identity troubles and such; and that, as the clone, Beta should be the loser who has to withdraw from cosmic society. But a dude gets lonely, so he (and I forget the details of how) cloned himself or had himself cloned until there were enough Yondu clones to form a whole society.

Because all of the Yondu clones were basically the same guy, and living so close to each other, isolated from anyone else, their brainwaves all synchronized or whatever: they became a planet wide psychic gestalt. Being able to coordinate a world's worth of whistle-men elevated this super-mind from controlling only arrows, to being able to whistle complex tunes that could alter fundamental elements of matter, warp spacetime, manipulate gravity and hyperspace, and whatever other bullshit powers. They were no longer the B-Yondus: now, they were the Beyonders.

The Living Tribunal is a character from an early issue of Fantastic Four. Weird radioactive bullshit merges three federal judges into one superhero, the Living Tribunal. (Two of the judges were incredibly obvious serial-numbers-removed versions of Earl Warren and Howard Taft; I don't know who, if anyone, the third was based on.) The Living Tribunal grows Hulk-strong (and sometimes gets whatever power the writer feels convenient) when in the vicinity of fair, equitable, and just events. Injustice, predictably, physically harms the Tribunal. The character usually appears in ham-handed social commentary stories.

Both the Beyonders and the Living Tribunal tie into Hickman's Avengers Machine theme: many individuals united in a single purpose, and made stronger for their unity. The death of the Living Tribunal also helps set the moral tone of the story. Normally, the Tribunal is a powerful character, even when not charged up by justice; that he's able to die suggests that there must be some incredibly heavy wrongness afoot.

Hope that this helped!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Vitamin P posted:

Me, completely. Gonna give the whole thing a reread once it's over and I can dedicate like three days to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The Beyonder

The Beyonder is kinda convoluted. He was a big alien being who wanted to test Earth's heroes so he blew up a galaxy and made Battleworld and had the Secret Wars happen. Doom tried to siphon his power and then he lost it and Beyonder sent everyone home. He supposedly came from another universe where all there were were Beyonders. Or maybe he WAS a universe. I dunno, man.

Then the Beyonder came to Earth to learn more about humanity. He made a copy of Steve Rogers' body and lived in it and then Spider-Man taught him to poop and I think he hosed Dazzler and then some guys taught him how to be a criminal and then he decided that Earth loving SUCKED and he wanted to die and then he DID and then a machine made him a BABY and then the baby was DEAD.

Turns out the Beyonder was ALIVE and he was actually sentient Cosmic Cube and then he merged with ANOTHER sentient Cosmic Cube and they became a being called Kubik I think and then Kubik got put in SPACE JAIL and they called her the Maker and then she met Thanos and then the Maker died and supposedly the Beyonder was let loose.

At one point, there was a flashback where the Illuminati met the Beyonder back after Spider-Man taught him to poop and they said he was actually a MUTANT INHUMAN but then no one ever talked about that EVER AGAIN.

Now it turns out the Beyonders are probably the aliens from another universe they were in the first place and they are WAY EVIL and the old Beyonder was just a lovely baby and the real Beyonders (aka Ivory Kings) want to and are very much succeeding at killing the multiverse. It's bad, man.

The Living Tribunal

This guy's easier. In Marvel cosmology there's a lot of big guys who claim to be God. Outside of the Norse and Greek and the other pantheons there's some big dudes like Eternity who is the embodiment of the universe (NOT multiverse). Above all of them is someone who's only whispered about, the One Above All, who is hinted at being the real Christian-Judeo God and also at being Jack Kirby. He doesn't usually directly interact with the world but his hand and voice in the multiverse is the Living Tribunal who has three faces that represent Equity, Vengeance, and Necessity. It's pretty much omnipotent and omniscient.

The most major Tribunal story is probably Marvel vs. DC/DC vs. Marvel where its counterpart is the Spectre for whatever reason since they're vastly mismatched and they merge the multiverses. Otherwise he's there for big cosmic stories but doesn't often do much. Now he's loving DEAD and that's super-bad!!!

• Locked thread