Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FMguru posted:

lmao that whiny uber dickhead got a response from head office to his list of demands

:laffo: this moron doesn't get it at all

how is he so elitist about being a jitney cab driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Improbable Lobster posted:

:laffo: this moron doesn't get it at all

how is he so elitist about being a jitney cab driver

excuse me, he works for a Bleeding-Edge Tech Firm that is valued at more than the entire united states taxi industry

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lol at yosposters freaking out over pax wtf

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FrozenVent posted:

lol at yosposters freaking out over pax wtf

well the real hilarity behind it is that they use that word because they refuse to use the word 'fare'

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i love how enthusiastic people are about being uber drivers.

so you're a taxi driver who makes less money than a taxi driver and you have to spend your own money on your car.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jonny 290 posted:

well the real hilarity behind it is that they use that word because they refuse to use the word 'fare'

just let it go, you missed on this one

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Wild EEPROM posted:

so you're a taxi driver who makes less money than a taxi driver and you have to spend your own money on your car.

The people I've met that drive for uber do it to help pay for a car they can't afford.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the last time i did an uber was to use some credit i had because i feel I'm doing a civic duty burning some vc cash

it was a dude who took me to the airport at 5 am in a 5 series bmw lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

eric posted:

The people I've met that drive for uber do it to help pay for a car they can't afford.

which means they end up being less able to afford the car lmbo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

some of my friends tell me there is/was a well known lyft driver in dc driving a tesla

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

exploiting the dumb is the cornerstone of american wealth

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

duTrieux. posted:

Passenger left an I-pad in my car. Any one ever keep anything?
Discussion in 'Los Angeles & Orange County' started by noe, Monday at 11:34 PM.
Just curious. Any one ever keep anything someone left behind? Honest answers would be cool. ;)

krazydrive
I don't return poo poo anymore. I would go out of my way to return phones and wallets and have to wait for them to come outside,only to not even get a thank you or tip. Now i just empty the wallet then toss it in the trash along with they're phones.

nicoj36
This is a controversial topic that can make the drivers look bad, but with these extremely low slave wage, I'd rather keep the phone and sell it to make money off of it. Unless they raise the prices back up to $1.60 per mile, I would return items to passengers appropriately. Sorry but they get what they pay for. Quality going down.

wow so my stuff is literally safer in a taxi

idiotbitch
Jul 16, 2013

mishaq posted:

some of my friends tell me there is/was a well known lyft driver in dc driving a tesla

i'd drive for uber for something to do if i was rich and bored. i hope that guy is, if not lol

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
also is tipping your uber driver actually like an expected thing?

like i think i've only ever given a driver cash before because i was actually one of those 'shitheads' who left a phone in a car.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

idiotbitch posted:

i'd drive for uber for something to do if i was rich and bored. i hope that guy is, if not lol

those rich bored people must be lonely as poo poo. like what the gently caress lol.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

:suicide:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ultramiraculous posted:

like i think i've only ever given a driver cash before because i was actually one of those 'shitheads' who left a phone in a car.

uber advertises itself as a cab service you don't have to tip. it's all-inclusive.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
personally, my engagement with uber has always been their "luxury" service. i will say right now: i've had more free uber rides than paid rides

their stated non-tipping policy has led drivers to go out of their way to inflate mileage and time, even when an obviously better route was available. even when i make explicit statements, the driver gives no fucks. i've had a 15-minute ride dragged out to 45 minutes. i got several free rides out of that, but the free rides had the same problem

taxis are a tipped profession for a reason. it aligns the cabbie's interests with the passenger. i can't defend tip culture. it's terrible on its own. but uber goes out of its way to subject its drivers to humiliation, while encouraging them to provide poor service.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I bet if you live in Las Vegas and take uber to and from the airport you will always go via tunnel

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

I bet if you live in Las Vegas and take uber to and from the airport you will always go via tunnel

well uber/lyft are banned in vegas so there's no way to know

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ultramiraculous posted:

well uber/lyft are banned in vegas so there's no way to know

Nevada ftw

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

is it though? i mean uber drivers are paid poo poo and i'm sure i've thrown money at a few drivers for dealing with my drunk rear end, but i really can't think of a time i saw anyone tip while getting out of an uber. at the very least it's rare enough that the idea that drivers feel entitled to it seems weird?

on the occasion i uber to work, i'll use lyft because they do actually prompt to give for tips in non-cash, but only because i feel guilty for brining people out to bumfuck bay-area.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oh you're asking if people do tip on ubers and not if they should

my b

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i took my first uber recently (as opposed to sharing someone else's), and everything about the ride was great, and it was a really long trip, and i wanted to tip the guy a lot but couldn't quite believe i couldn't do it from the app with the rest of the payment, and then he was gone before i realized that i had to do it in cash (it was v. late and i was quite pleasantly drunk okay)

uber the company is just so comically evil, like what is wrong with you, just put a goddamn button in your app where i can give a man an extra few bucks for taking the lady and me home so safely, quickly, and comfortably

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i dont understand why they wouldnt do it becuase they would obviously take a cut of that money too

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
is it really so hard to get a regular cab in big cities? i just call a regular cab and it shows up.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Actively rejecting american tipping culture is one of the few good things about Uber.

Except for the bit where they keep the insanely low wages.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

oh you're asking if people do tip on ubers and not if they should

my b

oh yea

i'm mostly just surprised that the copy-quotes from uber drivers keeps mentioning tips b/c i've never seen tipping your rideshare buddyuber as a cultural phenomena in any city i've been in.

rjmccall posted:

uber the company is just so comically evil, like what is wrong with you, just put a goddamn button in your app where i can give a man an extra few bucks for taking the lady and me home so safely, quickly, and comfortably

lyft actually does this, but it somehow feels like a desperate attempt to get drivers. it mainly still feels like an extra-gratitude button, in general. like i'll throw a couple bucks on if i had no business getting home alive or if i had them drive me way out of where they could have gotten another fare.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

is it really so hard to get a regular cab in big cities? i just call a regular cab and it shows up.

when im just going around sf i take a cab on the rare occasions i dont just take transit or walk. also around the south bay although lol at trying to get a cab in cupertino, even the dispatchers cant believe you arent using uber

the last time we took a taxi from the south bay to the city (only because caltrain stops embarrassingly early) we paid like 150 bucks to be terrified for an hour by a half-asleep maniac cabbie weaving two feet out of his lane on alternating sides through heavy-for-midnight traffic on 101. :owned: but we are never doing that again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

graph posted:

excuse me, he works for a Bleeding-Edge Tech Firm that is valued at more than the entire united states taxi industry

no, he's an independent contractor who does not work for Uber in any way, shape, or form. he just happens to use the Uber ridesharing app to connect with people whoffhdjskaghjlkaghtulaghuady8t gyhtwqay8p gta8ytg 8ygtyh8gasyh ighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

uber drivers are probably totally unaware that flight attendants have 3x the pay with full benefits

they're just dumb women who coddle bad "paxes." if airlines rated passengers properly and hired independent contractors, then they would realize the full benefit of aerial ridesharing and total bitch 4.7s wouldn't feel entitled to their drinks

don't give them ideas!

coming soon: Uber Air, illegal for-profit flight sharing for people with planes

hmm, maybe I should get that MiG after all...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dirk Pitt posted:

I sit in the front when I take an uber. does that make me a bad human?

yes, but it's not the sitting in front part that makes you bad

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I presume they really don't want people affiliated with Uber talking about their fares as "fares," thus giving them (they think) some amount of plausible deniability when they say "we're totally not a taxi service!"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

I sit in the front when I take an uber. does that make me a bad human?

anybody who uses uber is a bad human

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ultramiraculous posted:

on the occasion i uber to work, i'll use lyft because they do actually prompt to give for tips in non-cash, but only because i feel guilty for brining people out to bumfuck bay-area.
so you're not ubering at all then

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
really not happy about "uber" as a verb :rant:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/3/8141053/ellen-pao-kleiner-perkins-venture-capital

That’s just a peek at the cloistered habits of venture capitalists revealed in this trial. Normally, discussion of titles at venture firms is taboo. You’d be hard-pressed to find a LinkedIn profile that admits to being a "junior partner" or a "managing member." And the "team" pages of top VC firms like Kleiner only obfuscate the issue. Are the female faces as powerful as the men in the head shots all around them? Probably not, but before Pao filed her industry-quaking lawsuit in 2012, the lack of women investors — at any pay grade — was rarely discussed.

Regardless of the outcome, courtroom testimony has already helped expose the highly competitive and capricious process that determines which technologies and founders get funded, and who gets to get rich off the next Google, Amazon, Uber, or Snapchat (all Kleiner investments).

The first instance of harassment towards Vassallo was in 2009 when, she said, "he started touching me with his leg under the table," during what was supposed to be a meeting to talk about Kleiner’s green-tech investments. During a business trip to New York, Nazre told Vassallo he was going to introduce her to an influential connection, but the restaurant reservations were for two, and the executive never materialized. Half an hour after dinner, Nazre showed up at her hotel room door in a bathrobe and slippers. Eventually, she was able to "push him" out of the door.

Vassallo also said general partner Ray Lane, a close and treasured mentor with whom she had an "awesome" relationship, told her she "should be flattered."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/257487527/Kleiner-Perkins-Trial-Brief

http://www.scribd.com/doc/257487796/Amended-Complaint-filed-by-Ellen-Pao-against-Kleiner-Perkins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

eschaton posted:

don't give them ideas!

coming soon: Uber Air, illegal for-profit flight sharing for people with planes

hmm, maybe I should get that MiG after all...

already started and shut down i think

• Locked thread