Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

site posted:

The fact the the doj would have to sue them is disgusting.
Well, according to that article it's the equivalent of destroying their culture, so I guess it's not surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking up "consent decree", it means the police would not have to admit they did wrong? What is THIS poo poo?

To be fair abiding by a consent agreement is admitting you're wrong in all but saying it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

site posted:

The fact the the doj would have to sue them is disgusting.

I mean, out of all the mechanisms for federal oversight, giving DOJ the ability to sue hasn't been the worst. At least DOJ can do something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

To be fair abiding by a consent agreement is admitting you're wrong in all but saying it.
Is them not saying it such an essential part of the negotiation?

Though I still don't understand why a local PD is asked to negotiate with the feds at all. Do state governments get to negotiate with the federal government in how much they follow the US constitution?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Though I still don't understand why a local PD is asked to negotiate with the feds at all. Do state governments get to negotiate with the federal government in how much they follow the US constitution?

Well call it Congress.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Whichever moron decided that the FBI has "no police power" is retarded and doesn't get the fact the federal trumps state.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

site posted:

Whichever moron decided that the FBI has "no police power" is retarded and doesn't get the fact the federal trumps state.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I thought if local authorities ignored federal instructions then there was no negotiation, they just got taken over.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I thought if local authorities ignored federal instructions then there was no negotiation, they just got taken over.

Nah they get their day in court, just like when companies get taken over by the government.

They always have the option to save the excess expenses involved in a lawsuit by just accepting it, I believe the chances of winning against the feds is ludicrously low.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ah okay, so Ferguson will just be joining into an agreement with the DOJ that has benefitted (though I doubt they look at it that way) many other police departments before? I guess that's good.

edit: does this only have to happen after bloody disasters though? Is there any way it can prevent them instead?

Systematic changes in our culture.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah they get their day in court, just like when companies get taken over by the government.

They always have the option to save the excess expenses involved in a lawsuit by just accepting it
Fish, you make me sad :(

Hopefully you didn't mind that tag out in the drug thread but those guys were wtf

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So what happens when state is unable to produce emails that are verified to have taken place?

quote:

I want the public to see my email. I asked State to release them. They said they will review them for release as soon as possible.

— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) March 5, 2015

Still probably the best stance possible all things considering.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Only email singular Hillary? What do you have to hide? Don't hide from me, my next question concerns Whitewater!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Trabisnikof posted:

So what happens when state is unable to produce emails that are verified to have taken place?

Still probably the best stance possible all things considering.

Private subpoena for the results in her personal server from the House I'd imagine. Or a wildly inaccurate story that they continue to defend after it is proven false on one of their branded sites from Gawker.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Private subpoena for the results in her personal server from the House I'd imagine. Or a wildly inaccurate story that they continue to defend after it is proven false on one of their branded sites from Gawker.

Truly we are at a turning point in American history if this is #emailghazi rather than #emailgate.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

A related bill which would loosen regulations on industry scientists serving on EPA advisory boards while restricting academic scientists from using unpublished science on the same and mandating such boards respond to all public comments (regardless of quantity or quality) has also been issued a veto threat.

Can the response just be "Thanks for your comment" displayed in big red letters when you click submit on their website, or is this verbal comments?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: does this only have to happen after bloody disasters though? Is there any way it can prevent them instead?
...he asks, in reference to a country that loosens gun laws in response to school shootings.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Holy poo poo Ferguson PD plays the meow game except with citations:

https://twitter.com/antoniofrench/status/573231455033159680
It really is like Supertroopers except instead of lighthearted and amusing shenanigans, the shenanigans they get up to are cruel and designed to shake down people for as much cash as they can.

Evil shenanigans.

A citation for referring to oneself as "Mike" instead of "Michael," holy poo poo.
VVVVVVV

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 5, 2015

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Jesus you can scroll to pretty much any one of the 105 pages in the Ferguson report and find something terrible

http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/2015/03/04/ferguson_police_department_report.pdf

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
The Clinton's made Vince Foster disappear, scrubbing emails is trivial

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meg From Family Guy posted:

how is this a bad thing

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mo_Steel posted:

Can the response just be "Thanks for your comment" displayed in big red letters when you click submit on their website, or is this verbal comments?

To quote the bill:

quote:

(1) To facilitate public participation in the advisory activities of the Board, the Administrator and the Board shall make public all reports and relevant scientific information and shall provide materials to the public at the same time as received by members of the Board.
(2) Prior to conducting major advisory activities, the Board shall hold a public information-gathering session to discuss the state of the science related to the advisory activity.
(3) Prior to convening a member committee or investigative panel under subsection (e) or requesting scientific advice from the Board, the Administrator shall accept, consider, and address public comments on questions to be asked of the Board. The Board, member committees, and investigative panels shall accept, consider, and address public comments on such questions and shall not accept a question that unduly narrows the scope of an advisory activity.
(4) The Administrator and the Board shall encourage public comments, including oral comments and discussion during the proceedings, that shall not be limited by an insufficient or arbitrary time restriction. Public comments shall be provided to the Board when received. The Board's reports shall include written responses to significant comments offered by members of the public to the Board.
(5) Following Board meetings, the public shall be given 15 calendar days to provide additional comments for consideration by the Board.

Most of the political wrangling and harassment of the EPA will be over what, exactly, qualifies as a "significant comment" and, presumably, using the advisory boards' responses to bludgeon the EPA as "disregarding" the clearly correct opinions of the public.

It's also worth noting that the bill would also explicitly restrict these advisory boards from issuing policy recommendation of any sort. So expect these boards to become mealy mouthed "we could do this or we could do that" reporting entities.

Also, with respect to the qualifications to serve on the boards,

quote:

(2) Each member of the Board shall be qualified by education, training, and experience to evaluate scientific and technical information on matters referred to the Board under this section. The Administrator shall ensure that--
(C) persons with substantial and relevant expertise are not excluded from the Board due to affiliation with or representation of entities that may have a potential interest in the Board's advisory activities, so long as that interest is fully disclosed to the Administrator and the public and appointment to the Board complies with section 208 of title 18, United States Code;
(E) Board members may not participate in advisory activities that directly or indirectly involve review or evaluation of their own work, unless fully disclosed to the public and the work has been externally peer-reviewed

What's that? You're a climate scientist who has done some research on global warming that hasn't been submitted for peer review yet? Guess you'll have to sit this meeting out and let the industry shills who "aren't" working on global warming research lead the advisory board on this one!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duz posted:

Systematic changes in our culture.

Which only happens after bloody disasters.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

site posted:

That would be "the Constitution of the United States", and it's because "police power" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Soooo... Vince Foster was the deficit all along!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DemeaninDemon posted:

Soooo... Vince Foster was the deficit all along!
Vince Foster died for our tariffs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

A lawsuit against individuals or against the organization, so individuals can walk away and join other police departments with no problem?

Possibly, but with at least the effect of ameliorating police abuses.

The Las Vegas thing I was mentioning:

quote:

Las Vegas police shootings are trending down, and Metro reforms are on the rise.

It’s looking good for Metro after the U.S. Department of Justice released its final progress report Wednesday after a wide-ranging, multi-year study of Metro’s policies related to deadly force.

“The department’s introspection and genuine desire to make significant improvements and serve as a model for other departments draws praise from the assessors. The department’s commitment has produced impressive results,” said the report, released by the federal Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, or COPS.

Metro implemented 72 of the 80 reforms the feds suggested since their initial November 2012 study was released, the report said, and five more reforms are in progress. Wednesday’s report used data and policy information current through last year.

And the number of police shootings have continued to drop. The rate of Metro shootings per month has dropped 36 percent since the Review-Journal published the series “Deadly Force,” its 2011 study on police shootings, one of several milestones leading to Metro reforms, the report said.

There were 24 shootings in 2012 and 2013 combined. In 2010, the year before the RJ series, Metro’s officers were involved in a record 25 shootings, the report said.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/federal-report-las-vegas-police-shootings-down-department-reforms

I haven't had the chance to look through the report myself, are there a list of substantive recommendations for Ferguson police and criminal justice in the report?

EDIT: There's also a pretty good This American Life on this.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 5, 2015

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

computer parts posted:

Which only happens after bloody disasters.

Unless they involve guns, of course.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "I get the sense that maybe interpreting writing and humor is not his strong suit." ~ producer Mike Schur, on Rand Paul cancelling an appearance on Parks & Recreation over concerns of being linked to Ron Swanson.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "I get the sense that maybe interpreting writing and humor is not his strong suit." ~ producer Mike Schur, on Rand Paul cancelling an appearance on Parks & Recreation over concerns of being linked to Ron Swanson.

...Why wouldn't you want to be linked to Ron Swanson?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

RedQueen posted:

Jesus you can scroll to pretty much any one of the 105 pages in the Ferguson report and find something terrible

http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/opa/press-releases/attachments/2015/03/04/ferguson_police_department_report.pdf

Man, gently caress white people.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...Why wouldn't you want to be linked to Ron Swanson?

Because he is extremely right wing and works actively to shut the government down.

Wait why doesn't Rand Paul wan't to be linked to Ron Swanson?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gravel Gravy posted:

Because he is extremely right wing and works actively to shut the government down.

Wait why doesn't Rand Paul wan't to be linked to Ron Swanson?

Ron Swanson loves and hordes gold. Wait a sec

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hillary surrendered so quick, I bet it's like a double-reverse-secret sock puppet account full of things that make her look good to the general voting public, heh. Just email after email praising Israel, complaining about China and Russia, admitting her love of bacon and so on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

greatn posted:

Ron Swanson loves and hordes gold. Wait a sec

He's a dragon? You figure him and Rand would be the best of friends then.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
She didn't really surrender. She's only instructing the State Department to release emails sent by her containing non-classified information.

The email system was set up so that the Clinton allies could complain about Obama behind his back and none of that stuff was turned over to State.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

She didn't really surrender. She's only instructing the State Department to release emails sent by her containing non-classified information.

The email system was set up so that the Clinton allies could complain about Obama behind his back and none of that stuff was turned over to State.
My guess was a little broader than that - that Clinton allies could complain about EVERYONE and it wouldn't make the record. I'm sure there's a shitload of bitching bout Benghazi in there too.

Along with the pro-bacon emails.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rubio is trying to stake out his position in the presidential race by being to only one to offer actual concrete ideas and bills we can look at, rather than hand waving op-eds and no-content speeches. It's a risky move Cotten, let's see how it work out for him!

The center calculated that more than half the plan’s benefits would go to the richest fifth of taxpayers, in terms of income. One-fifth of the benefits would flow to the top 1 percent of taxpayers, the analysis said. In percentage terms, it found, the average federal tax rate would fall by about the same amount for the top 1 percent as for the middle class.

Ooh, tough break for him Cotten. Hopefully he'll recover after this next water break

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Hillary surrendered so quick, I bet it's like a double-reverse-secret sock puppet account full of things that make her look good to the general voting public, heh. Just email after email praising Israel, complaining about China and Russia, admitting her love of bacon and so on.

Anything else would be classified or personal so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

By the way, this was tucked away in a footnote of the DoJ report: "While not the focus of our investigation, the information we reviewed indicated that Ferguson’s efforts to retain qualified female and black officers may be compromised by the same biases we saw more broadly in the department, [...] In particular, while the focus of our investigation did not permit us to reach a conclusive finding, we found evidence that [the department] tolerates sexual harassment by male officers, and has responded poorly to allegations of sexual harassment that have been made by female officers.”

I mean God drat son. Question isn't why Ferguson rioted, question is why didn't they riot sooner.

• Locked thread