Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Finished this a month ago - worked on 3 full cg aerial images for googles new headquarters. worked with BIG/heatherwick.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Today I'm trying to improve my UV mapping speed and skills. I have to say, it's probably my least favorite part of the modeling and texturing process. But I don't want to be bad at it forever. I was shown how to do it in school, but I feel as if I never learned an efficient workflow for the process. How do you guys usually get through UV mapping?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fyadophobic posted:

Today I'm trying to improve my UV mapping speed and skills. I have to say, it's probably my least favorite part of the modeling and texturing process. But I don't want to be bad at it forever. I was shown how to do it in school, but I feel as if I never learned an efficient workflow for the process. How do you guys usually get through UV mapping?

It is just a laborious process if you want it done perfectly. My quickie method is:

Bring low poly version into Zbrush, use UVMaster to draw attraction/protection areas. Hope it does something you wanted, then click "copy UV's", import your high-res version and "paste UV's" onto that. Then save the OBJ. It should have the UV's from the low-poly version and all you really did was use the paint tool.

Zbrush/UVMaster will not try to make your UV grid be straight or anything though, so you will need to clean up the UV's in a program better suited for it. It also does a terrible job at keeping everything symmetrical. I think 3D-Coat has a "straighten vertices" thing where it just makes the UV more grid-like. 3ds Max might have something like that built in as well, I can't remember. I suppose at that point you may as well do the entire UV process in 3D Coat, but I like the Zbrush way of just painting everything.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 28, 2015

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Fyadophobic posted:

Buy a UV Layout license and never look back. It's the best few hundred bucks you'll ever spend on a 3D tool.

Okay, the disclaimer now: it's still worthwhile to learn the UV tools in your main 3D package, especially if you anticipate working in a studio where you won't always have a choice and not just doing freelance work.

But seriously, UV Layout. I can't tell you how much time and frustration it's saved me.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Fyadophobic posted:

I now use a mix of planar map everything, select edges and break, then relax in 3ds Max. It works well even for hard surface.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Finished this a month ago - worked on 3 full cg aerial images for googles new headquarters. worked with BIG/heatherwick.

Ah you did the google campus thing? Ace work man!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

ftfy that is spectacular

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
What parts of it are full CG and what isn't?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Just the clouds really. They're made up of 5 or 6 photos with a lot of brushing in. ground texture has so much retouching to remove all cars, people, trees and the shadows from trees/buildings. Had a guy working on that for nearly 2 straight days. All the buildings, trees and mountains in the background are 3d, the haze is rendered vray fog.
we built the scene to actual size so it's 150km... rendered in a fg/bg pass.

the tiny red square you see on the left side i outlined on the right

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 2, 2015

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Nice, seems like it was a pretty big chunk of work.

what were the hardest challenges to get the piece done right? Are the trees full hi-rez geo or somewhat optimised since they are seen from quite far away?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Same trees all the way back - vray proxy objects, 500k polys each. there are 3 groups of forest objects - big trees, mid trees, and low level planting/shrubs.

The biggest challenge was the planning stage really. we've never done anything on this scale before so ran a couple days worth of tests and changed our approach and workflow a few times before kicking off. complicated, but we tried to figure out workarounds to any potential issues that could come up (how to distribute everything, traffic, people, organisation, any potential memory or crash issues etc) before we even started so there were never any major holdups.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I see that Autodesk has announced some of the features in Maya LT 2016 which look neat. But they haven't announced the features in normal Maya 2016 yet, right? When does that normally happen? The latest release of Maya 2015 has introduced a nasty memory leak when manipulating UVs, so I'm waiting with bated breath for 2016...

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pathos posted:

I see that Autodesk has announced some of the features in Maya LT 2016 which look neat. But they haven't announced the features in normal Maya 2016 yet, right? When does that normally happen? The latest release of Maya 2015 has introduced a nasty memory leak when manipulating UVs, so I'm waiting with bated breath for 2016...

Probably the week after GDC.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

cubicle gangster: That is REALLY impressive work. Inspiring to see your work over the years.

Anyone have any strong feelings about this Autodesk Memento package coming out? Looks like it is supposed to support or take the place of Recap / 123D Catch.

I will never understand why they have so many products which more or less do the same thing. Seems like just a bid to monopolize all things 3d related.

Here is some content.

Notable because this scan was made with my phone in less than 10 minutes... with jpgs.

Feel compelled to post this along with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 4, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

cubicle gangster: That is REALLY impressive work. Inspiring to see your work over the years.

Anyone have any strong feelings about this Autodesk Memento package coming out? Looks like it is supposed to support or take the place of Recap / 123D Catch.

I will never understand why they have so many products which more or less do the same thing. Seems like just a bid to monopolize all things 3d related.

Here is some content.

Notable because this scan was made with my phone in less than 10 minutes... with jpgs.

Feel compelled to post this along with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

This really is coming along well now. I guess this is going to be the way game props are made in the near future?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Guys we need more level props. Go out and photograph all that bombed out spaceship wreckage!

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

That is one absurdly smooth capture, especially because potatoscan

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

concerned mom posted:

This really is coming along well now. I guess this is going to be the way game props are made in the near future?

If they need random props in a realistic style to fill space. If they're trying to match specific concept art though, less likely.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Ccs posted:

If they need random props in a realistic style to fill space. If they're trying to match specific concept art though, less likely.

Yeah - you can't exactly scan dragons, or monsters etc. Funny too, because I used to tell students to avoid that stuff because there was no immediate frame of reference for comparison. Things have changed dramatically now that photoscanning works so well. Never imagined I would get this kind of quality out of my phone, with compressed images.

Of course there is still tweaking the model, retopologizing, map generation, materials, lighting etc. etc.

Anyways, here is some content that isn't photoscanning.

Made this image for the band Westerner.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Do you fellas actually mask every photo you put into Photoscan? The process is absurdly time-consuming. Also, sometimes when I build the dense cloud, a piece of the object will be "sliced" off, like a whole section on one side is just missing. This is with the standard version.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I don't if anyone can tell me, when do you decide when the work you put out could be worth other peoples money?

I've only made a few things i'm happy with and think looked good but they took a fuckload of time to do.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Eastdrom posted:

I don't if anyone can tell me, when do you decide when the work you put out could be worth other peoples money?

I've only made a few things i'm happy with and think looked good but they took a fuckload of time to do.

I'd say you're ready to make money if you put your stuff on the internet and let everyone give their brutally frank and honest opinion of it.

If the majority of people say it's good, then you're ready.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Rubber Slug posted:

Do you fellas actually mask every photo you put into Photoscan? The process is absurdly time-consuming. Also, sometimes when I build the dense cloud, a piece of the object will be "sliced" off, like a whole section on one side is just missing. This is with the standard version.

It is probably because your bounding box is off that stuff is getting clipped. Masking is not necessary but to get the absolute best results it very much is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

It is probably because your bounding box is off that stuff is getting clipped. Masking is not necessary but to get the absolute best results it very much is.

Yeah this is what it was with mine. The weird thing, and I'm assuming it's the same with Rubber Slug, is that there's no way to know because the bounding box for the sparse cloud is perfectly fine. SOMEHOW it gets changed though when building the dense cloud. It's dumb.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Yeah this is what it was with mine. The weird thing, and I'm assuming it's the same with Rubber Slug, is that there's no way to know because the bounding box for the sparse cloud is perfectly fine. SOMEHOW it gets changed though when building the dense cloud. It's dumb.

Happens to me occasionally. Just rotate or resize the bounding box. The tools are in the toolbar at the top.

Also related:

Sequoia seems to be a good companion for Agisoft Photoscan but it is just in beta testing right now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

Happens to me occasionally. Just rotate or resize the bounding box. The tools are in the toolbar at the top.

Also related:

Sequoia seems to be a good companion for Agisoft Photoscan but it is just in beta testing right now.

I know how to resize it. Just annoying that it even changes it's size for no apparent reason to begin with! arghghhg

Still a stupidly powerful program for the money.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Gearman posted:

Not at all overkill. My meshes are typically in the 2-3 million tri range, with a single uv 8k texture. When I have the time to do so, I'll re-uv and bake the texture in Agisoft using those new uvs and go with a 4k texture. The 8k is mostly because Agisoft's uvs have crazy amounts of padding and uv islands which wastes a good 60-70% of the uv space.

I've mostly abandoned Autodesk's scanning tech in general. Agisoft and Zbrush/Mudbox are already quite killer, and used by most artists in the industry.

Thank you for this. Seems like the Agisoft / Zbrush combo is the way to go for most photoreal modeling solutions.

Right now, this is blowing my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxKC5AjH6ZE

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Rubber Slug posted:

Do you fellas actually mask every photo you put into Photoscan?

I do not, and will not ever. doesnt matter if it helps, if we're putting that kind of time in then it's not worth it anymore.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Any of you guys in Montreal? Got brought in for a short project for the next few months, but don't really know much of the city.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rubber Slug posted:

For most things, yes. I've got a batch action I wrote for Photoshop, with it, I can mask and save any object shot in my studio in minutes. I did eight scans the other day at 24 photos each, total masking time altogether was about 15 minutes. Most of that time was saving and loading. Photoshop's selection tools make it very quick and easy.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Travakian posted:

Any of you guys in Montreal? Got brought in for a short project for the next few months, but don't really know much of the city.

I live here, You can add me on facebook or whatever if you need some nice spots to visit. I don't have PM's.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

fresh baked arquebus

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Rubber Slug posted:

I have one trick that I use that cuts out some of the work. If you can make a model at a lower or medium resolution, then you can make masks from the model for the entire scene. Just right click on the photo and click create mask from model -> entire workspace. Saves a lot of time but you inevitably have to fix the masks created because the edges are rarely perfect. Still a good trick though. Especially if your photos aren't great.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
I'm looking for someone's matchmoving portfolio piece from the early 2000's.

It started with a guy filming a close-up of a brown clay model of a character on his desk. The character then opened its eyes and came alive. At the end of the video, a star wars droid at the back of the room woke up and attacked the camera. I think the credits at the end of the video played "and she was", by the talking heads. Any ideas?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I remember it ... "Pepe" or something...
Here it is.
http://www.pepeland.com/

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
That's it!.

I remember watching it as a kid. It's what got me interested in 3D and I wanted to see it again. Turns out it's not matchmoving and it doesn't use a talking heads song, but it's still good. Thank you!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

No problem. I always liked it too. Hated the song selection at the end though. lol

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd say you're ready to make money if you put your stuff on the internet and let everyone give their brutally frank and honest opinion of it.

If the majority of people say it's good, then you're ready.

Well i've got ages then.

Trying to 'block out' elements for a character design in 3d. Does anyone have tips for making something more with less?

I want the clothing to be understated but interesting / tribal at the same time. God it looks like a runescape character right now. Which i don't mind tbh. I like their art style.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 10, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eastdrom posted:

Well i've got ages then.

Trying to 'block out' elements for a character design in 3d. Does anyone have tips for making something more with less?

I want the clothing to be understated but interesting / tribal at the same time. God it looks like a runescape character right now. Which i don't mind tbh. I like their art style.

Maybe the clothing is barebones but they have badass tattoos?

This is a promo shot for the new Aquaman. He has similar covering to your guy, not much at all, but then it is filled in with patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Maybe the clothing is barebones but they have badass tattoos?

This is a promo shot for the new Aquaman. He has similar covering to your guy, not much at all, but then it is filled in with patterns.

I did a quick and dirty and it helped a lot. Cheers!