Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

wukkar posted:

Bring back Playmakers.
No one would admit in the 'Those Guys Have All The Fun' book about the history of ESPN that the NFL killed that show, but they kind of implied it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

No one would admit in the 'Those Guys Have All The Fun' book about the history of ESPN that the NFL killed that show, but they kind of implied it.

ESPN's not the network for that. Put it on like HBO/Showtime, set it in the SEC, and go crazy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah, it can be done, but if you're going to make a 'hard hitting' show about the dark side of pro football, don't do it on the same network that has a contract with the NFL.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

FuzzySkinner posted:

Did anyone see ESPN trying to promote/push "Cricket" the other day?

I don't see how they figure there's going to be an audience for this. This is not to say that there isn't, and that the game itself isn't perhaps interesting if you're a fan. But I kind of fail to see how it would be unappealing to not only Americans...but to even countries like Canada or other countries as well.

I understand why Soccer has a global appeal, and why it gets coverage. The game is very much translatable, and in fact a global phenomena. Stuff like the Premier League, World Cup, and UEFA? Definitely worthy of being promoted, and of being followed by anyone.

Cricket? I just don't see it being a "thing" over here.

same but for the nfl

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

cheap seats was painfully unfunny

This is the most vehemently I've ever disagreed with you on like, anything. Cheap Seats ruled. :colbert:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cheap Seats wasted way too much time with the goofy title cards and segments. They should have just riffed straight through.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Muddy Burphy posted:

Scoffing at ESPN for marketing a niche sport is a weird thing to do when you blow a gasket when they don't market your niche sport.

Yeah but they have how many channels that are full of talking head shows

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I still have the DVDs of "Tilt" sitting unwatched in my bookcase in reserve for when something knocks out my internet. I saw the first two eps as they aired and I'm sure the rest will be just as delightful.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

skaboomizzy posted:

I still have the DVDs of "Tilt" sitting unwatched in my bookcase in reserve for when something knocks out my internet. I saw the first two eps as they aired and I'm sure the rest will be just as delightful.

haha that show was so bad

Playmakers was horrible too but it was so over the top and stupid that it warped back around to being amusing.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

skaboomizzy posted:

I wipe my rear end with eight grand! Nine, if I've had chili.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tonight is the first Duke/UNC game on ESPN that will not be called by Dick Vitale. He'd been doing it for 36 years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Why was he out?

So, after this game tonight, SportCenter continued its apparently God-knows-why tradition (I don't watch much) of having anchors practice half-court shots because apparently there's nothing better to show. Neil Everett did his barefooted, and then the camera crew did a closeup of his feet. Spectacular loving TV right there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Why was he out?

There doesn't seem to be any official reason, but I'm gonna guess because of his age they want to move him to more of an analyst/studio role. He just recently signed an extension with ESPN so it doesn't seem like he's on the outs.

WillKane
Feb 18, 2015

Nothing new under the sun.
I found Cowherd entertaining in small amounts but if you listen to him for too long he circles back and beats his same points over and over.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FS1's closed captioning turned into a drunk baseball writer

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

If I ever get a new username it's going to be "Smardsia is a Mardsia"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A few commenters explained it

quote:

I am a closed captioner. Much of modern captioning is done by voice- a trained individual will repeat what is said on TV in a very level, monotone voice that is easier for the software to recognize then the words that are actually broadcast. For unusual proper names like the ones you see above, you have to train the software, often by repeatedly spelling and saying the names, then correcting it so the software saves the words and associated audio in a digital model for future use.

Here, it looks like someone was importing baseball names for future use in the captioning software- without realizing that captioning software was actually running live somewhere.

quote:

I do captioning on the side for a company. Here's the low down. Names are challenging. If your profile is immature, in other words young, then these names are being interpreted by your profile for the first time. You have only a few seconds to correct a misspelling. You are seeing a newer person say these names for the first time, then struggle to get them corrected before they go on display. Training your profile takes hundreds of hours. Again, peoples names are the toughest.

quote:

I'm not an interpreter or captioner myself but I'm very familiar with this as a Deaf person. It looks like somehow, the practice file that captioners use to essentially train the computer to recognize names was sent into the broadcast stream.

Generally, a captioner will spend time before an assignment inputting all of the names of the competitors, commentators, key individuals, etc. into the computer so they don't have to spell out each name each time it is mentioned. What's essentially happening is the name and all of its possible short-hand notations are being outlined beforehand so they can focus on listening to what's being said rather than trying to spell a name.

This is really neat. I never knew how this worked for live events.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So here's a strange one. FS1 and ESPN were apparently in trade talks for employees. Katie Nolan for Ian Darke

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Robert Flores burned Iggy Azalea on SportsCenter this morning and it made Nick Young mad at him on twitter, which led to Flores saying "if he takes a shot at me, the numbers say there's a 70% chance he'll miss."

Robert Flores owns.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

If Nolan, Beadle and Czarniak got their own show I would watch the poo poo out of that

E: Speaking of Lindsay Czarniak, here's an interesting piece on how ESPN has quietly retooled the 6 p.m. SportsCenter. I started watching that timeslot again a couple weeks ago and it really does flow better than it used to. http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/lindsay-czarniak-leading-sportscenter-next-evolutionary-step.html

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Mar 3, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Robert Flores burned Iggy Azalea on SportsCenter this morning and it made Nick Young mad at him on twitter, which led to Flores saying "if he takes a shot at me, the numbers say there's a 70% chance he'll miss."

Robert Flores owns.

That rules

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Robert Flores owns.

I love Swaggy unconditionally but that's pretty good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's a sick burn but I can't get over the fact that Sportscenter anchors probably shouldn't be calling out famous people left and right. For no other reason than they're loving nerds who think they have a platform to be a comedian because Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, and Stuart Scott were actually doing some fresh and funny things 20 years ago.

I saw the segment where he burned Iggy Azalea and it wasn't funny. It was some segment that belongs on a lovely E! Network TV show that airs past midnight. I'm so happy I never watch Sportscenter, it must be so bad.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Mahoning posted:

It's a sick burn but I can't get over the fact that Sportscenter anchors probably shouldn't be calling out famous people left and right. For no other reason than they're loving nerds who think they have a platform to be a comedian because Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, and Stuart Scott were actually doing some fresh and funny things 20 years ago.

I saw the segment where he burned Iggy Azalea and it wasn't funny. It was some segment that belongs on a lovely E! Network TV show that airs past midnight. I'm so happy I never watch Sportscenter, it must be so bad.

I completely agree. Thought it was really stupid because then this whole thing become a story too which inevitably will be commented on by other ESPN personalities. It's the every lasting push and pull of entertainment, being the story/reporting on it, but it just felt stupid to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It was a throwaway line and ESPN has many many worse problems than one joke by Robert Flores.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

DJExile posted:

It was a throwaway line and ESPN has many many worse problems than one joke by Robert Flores.

Agreed. Heck, if not for Deadspin people probably wouldn't have even been talking about it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

As said above, of the ESPN problem is that literally if an ESPN person does a thing then within about five minutes Tom Ley will have a video of it up on Deadspin. That happened at least three times last year that I can remember off the top of my head. I swear to god he sits in a dungeon and watches ESPN 24/7.

That said, it would be nice if SportsCenter anchors would just shut up and not try to be comedians or make new catchphrases or whatever, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 5, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Has anyone just exclaimed "Catchphrase!" in the spot someone would normally attempt to coin a catchphase?

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Sash! posted:

Has anyone just exclaimed "Catchphrase!" in the spot someone would normally attempt to coin a catchphase?

They havent but... Holy poo poo... Mind. BLown. THat would be Majorly loving epic, original, and for the loving win though.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

That said, it would be nice if SportsCenter anchors would just shut up and not try to be comedians or make new catchphrases or whatever, but we all know that's never going to happen.

I'm sorry, but if I had that job, dammit I'd be trying to have fun somehow.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Katie Nolan's Garbage Time premiered tonight on FS1. I've been a big fan of Nolan and want her to succeed, so I felt compelled to watch and review the first episode.

--Opening title sequence has Nolan in 8-bit sports video games, so I'm already on board.

--The first segment is Nolan doing her Youtube No Filter schtick. Still pretty funny, but for some reason they dubbed in a laugh track that fell flat. Hopefully that gets dropped, because the awkward silence at Nolan's bad jokes is part of her charm.

--She segued into the big NFL trades and did a ranty bit about parents uploading their crying children videos online. I liked it.

--The middle segment was a panel with some FOX Sports NFL dork whose name I couldn't remember. Mostly casual discussion of the FA period. NFL dork seemed way too excited to be on TV and talked over Nolan at times, but it was mostly decent.

--The big segment was Nolan doing a sitdown with Adam Carolla. Not an actual interview style, just the two of them drinking from Solo cups and shooting the poo poo about sports. This was better than I expected.

--Final segment was a skit riffing on bracket office pools.

Overall, a pretty good premiere episode, even with its rough patches. I liked enough of it that I'll be watching again next week.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I also watched it, and thought it was pretty funny overall. My only complaint is that I wish she recognized that MLS is the lead in for her show. Talking about soccer may be too much to ask, but calling soccer a sport for pussies seems like a bad way to keep that particular audience. I laughed when she called lacrosse a sport for pussies, though, so I guess I can't throw TOO many stones.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

camoseven posted:

I also watched it, and thought it was pretty funny overall. My only complaint is that I wish she recognized that MLS is the lead in for her show. Talking about soccer may be too much to ask, but calling soccer a sport for pussies seems like a bad way to keep that particular audience. I laughed when she called lacrosse a sport for pussies, though, so I guess I can't throw TOO many stones.

Yeah, she seems like a legit soccer fan too, so that bit threw me off. FOX has the MLS rights this year and will be showing the World Cup for the next decade, so throwing shade at the sport is not a good look if they want viewers to take it seriously.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some pro work being done here by Allie Cliffton just rolling with Mozgov giving her an answer in Russian

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I laughed at least.

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/bracket/best-mike-francesa-ism-38

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Benne posted:

So Katie Nolan's Garbage Time premiered tonight on FS1. I've been a big fan of Nolan and want her to succeed, so I felt compelled to watch and review the first episode.

--Opening title sequence has Nolan in 8-bit sports video games, so I'm already on board.

--The first segment is Nolan doing her Youtube No Filter schtick. Still pretty funny, but for some reason they dubbed in a laugh track that fell flat. Hopefully that gets dropped, because the awkward silence at Nolan's bad jokes is part of her charm.

--She segued into the big NFL trades and did a ranty bit about parents uploading their crying children videos online. I liked it.

--The middle segment was a panel with some FOX Sports NFL dork whose name I couldn't remember. Mostly casual discussion of the FA period. NFL dork seemed way too excited to be on TV and talked over Nolan at times, but it was mostly decent.

--The big segment was Nolan doing a sitdown with Adam Carolla. Not an actual interview style, just the two of them drinking from Solo cups and shooting the poo poo about sports. This was better than I expected.

--Final segment was a skit riffing on bracket office pools.

Overall, a pretty good premiere episode, even with its rough patches. I liked enough of it that I'll be watching again next week.

The laugh track wasn't dubbed in, it was her actual producers laughing at her joke. She showed off the "studio" she's in a few weeks back and it's the size of a broom closet.

She's also posting full episodes on YouTube. I was pretty surprised at how good it was, so hopefully it doesn't get cancelled.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Yeah she did the completely telegraphed walk out of her office, down a hallway, turn around, end up where she started. I chuckled anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

John Buccigross will continue calling the Frozen Four this year.

Goddamnit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Craig Sager's leukemia has returned :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The worst news. :smith: