Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrChips posted:

KLIT is real, but I've yet to hear confirmation of the rumours about the existence of GSPOT...some say it's a final approach fix, while others claim it's an initial. WHO KNOWS?

They should totally establish it as a fix on an approach with a procedure turn. Then it could be both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Good news everyone!

I get the impression that the pilots on the forum think they are above reproach when it comes to their Medicals and their future flying careers. However, twice in my immediate family have I had perfectly able pilots give up any hope of being able to get Medicals in a timely fashion.

Even with Special Issuances, where the FAA doctors OK the medical themselves, it usually takes 2-3 months for that to happen. So by the time you have your medical back its only 6 months until you need to do the process again, usually at huge expense.

I am so excited. The Pilots Bill of Rights 2, has just been introduced in the Senate and the House.

It represents the greatest and easiest way to pass the 3rd class medical exemption with the least fuss.

Please, everyone, call or email your representatives and senators to let them know of your support of HR1062 and S571.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Medical-Reform-Tops-List-Again-In-Pilots-Bill-of-Rights-2-223621-1.html

PS now is the time to buy an airplane, before their values go up significantly because of the returning market, I hope.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

One of the cheap RTL-SDR units on Amazon.

Variable costs: $35 Raspberry Pi A (that I got for free), $15 RTL-SDR, $5 RG-59 cable, 50¢ solder-on SO-239 connector from a closing Radio Shack (should be an F-connector #yolo), $2 of PVC pipe, some resistors that were lying around, electrical tape, $15-each USB hub & ethernet adapter, $7 IKEA LACK table, so < $100

Fixed costs: $20 cat-5 stripper/crimper tool, ruler, maths, box cutter, soldering iron

My YOSPOSt about it:

Cheers for that. I happen to have all of that, minus the RTL-SDR dongle - which I didn't realise is supported by some USB TV dongles. Will give it a whirl!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

PS now is the time to buy an airplane, before their values go up significantly because of the returning market, I hope.

This looks like something one says before a series of terrible decisions.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

This looks like something one says before a series of terrible decisions.

It could be argued that "I think I'll be/become a pilot" was the lynch pin that started it all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tide posted:

It could be argued that "I think I'll be/become a pilot" was the lynch pin that started it all

Bad decisions perhaps, but actually buying a plane raises that to terrible.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Did you call your representatives and senators?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yes however I realize that maybe not being eligible for a third class medical is actually a good thing at least financially...

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

MrChips posted:

KLIT is real, but I've yet to hear confirmation of the rumours about the existence of GSPOT...some say it's a final approach fix, while others claim it's an initial. WHO KNOWS?

Nope, can't find it.....

The Ferret King posted:

They should totally establish it as a fix on an approach with a procedure turn. Then it could be both!

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 3, 2015

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Tide posted:

Aviation Megathread | "Becoming a pilot was a terrible decision"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

Aviation Megathread | "Becoming a pilot was a terrible decision"

Where the dream/romance of flight comes to die?

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Where the dream/romance of flight comes to die?

At the regionals?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think he means "don't do it on the job." Which is a good lesson for pilots to learn from controllers.

Thank you Buzz Killington.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AWSEFT posted:

At the regionals?

During primary training?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

During primary training?

After you realise you could've done like 50 round the world trips for the cost of your training?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

brendanwor posted:

After you realise you could've done like 50 round the world trips for the cost of your training?

I became a pilot because I've never traveled. Now I can't afford to travel.

God loving drat It.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Compass interview is in just over a week. making GBS threads myself. Why did I set up my #1 choice as my first interview? I should have gone and interviewed with PSA or republic or something first as practice :/

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

The Slaughter posted:

Compass interview is in just over a week. making GBS threads myself. Why did I set up my #1 choice as my first interview? I should have gone and interviewed with PSA or republic or something first as practice :/

You're gonna kill it bro

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Signing up to get my ATP done in a month. No idea what I'm going to do with it, but it seems like a good thing to have.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Slaughter posted:

Don't you already work for a regional? Anyway don't sweat it, go find and read the gouges, it can't be any harder than the 4(!) hour interview I had with SKW.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DL MD-88 off the runway at LGA. Plane wound up on a berm appearing to separate the airport from allowing Miracle II. No fire, sounds like minor injuries.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Most regionals are hemorrhaging pilots fast enough that as long as you come across as reasonably competent during the interview, you've got a really good shot at getting hired.

Case in point, my employer recently had to change their policies as to when to terminate new-hires, since we had a couple of people go past 100 hours of IOE (the average is 30-40), one of whom managed to activate the stick shaker twice on the same leg shortly after being released to fly the line.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Butt Reactor posted:

Don't you already work for a regional? Anyway don't sweat it, go find and read the gouges, it can't be any harder than the 4(!) hour interview I had with SKW.

Nah, I'm still doing aerial survey. I've read the gouges, that's why I'm stressed. Since Compass used to have delta flow with no interview, they still do the full Delta interview deal with the insane written test, the cog test and the personality test (plus the HR panel). I've been practicing poo poo like "You're 100 nm from a storm, at 20,000 feet, you tilt the radar 1.5 degrees up, what is the thunderstorm top?" (60:1 rule means 1 nm at 60 nm, so 1.6nm at 100nm, 1.6nm x 6000 = roughly 10,000 ft, thunderstorm top is 30,000). Dunno about the rest of the ex-CFIs, but I've never been asked anything like that... so I'm a bit spooked I'm gonna forget these formulas and so on. 8.5 or 9x the sq rt of the tire pressure for the dynamic hydroplane speed... my head is swimming.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Southwest Airlines pilot window opened today for 2 weeks. Bah.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Slaughter posted:

Nah, I'm still doing aerial survey. I've read the gouges, that's why I'm stressed. Since Compass used to have delta flow with no interview, they still do the full Delta interview deal with the insane written test, the cog test and the personality test (plus the HR panel). I've been practicing poo poo like "You're 100 nm from a storm, at 20,000 feet, you tilt the radar 1.5 degrees up, what is the thunderstorm top?" (60:1 rule means 1 nm at 60 nm, so 1.6nm at 100nm, 1.6nm x 6000 = roughly 10,000 ft, thunderstorm top is 30,000). Dunno about the rest of the ex-CFIs, but I've never been asked anything like that... so I'm a bit spooked I'm gonna forget these formulas and so on. 8.5 or 9x the sq rt of the tire pressure for the dynamic hydroplane speed... my head is swimming.

Realistic answer when middle of the night: "I haven't a clue but there is no way I'm going near that thing" or words to that effect

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
People on CNN, Miles O'Brien excepted, are loving retarded. When discussing Harrison Ford's forced landing:

"An engine out in a single-engine plane... is this something you train for?"

Yes, probably more than any other abnormal situation... do some research, guys.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

People on CNN, Miles O'Brien excepted, are loving retarded. When discussing Harrison Ford's forced landing:

"An engine out in a single-engine plane... is this something you train for?"

Yes, probably more than any other abnormal situation... do some research, guys.

The viewers don't know that so the question is a setup to explain that to them.

Or, since its CNN, they probably left out the explanation part.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

hobbesmaster posted:

The viewers don't know that so the question is a setup to explain that to them.

Or, since its CNN, they probably left out the explanation part.

We train for spontaneous black holes as well.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fordan posted:

We train for spontaneous black holes as well.

Practicing emergency black hole descents are the best.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

e.pilot posted:

Practicing emergency black hole descents are the best.

As long as you stay slower than 1.5 times the speed of light you're golden.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Cocoa Crispies posted:

As long as you stay slower than 1.5 times the speed of light you're golden.

Yeah you've got to be careful, the FAA frowns on the breaking of the laws of physics below 10k AU.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

e.pilot posted:

Yeah you've got to be careful, the FAA frowns on the breaking of the laws of physics below 10k AU.

It can be catastrophic!

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

I did kinda like the whole 'after his single engine failed, he had no choice but to conduct a crash landing!' thing though. No poo poo!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I hate the phrase crash landing. I mean, have some faith in me if I lose the engine(s).

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
There really should be some sort of sliding scale or color coded chart.

Good Landing ---> A Landing ---> Uncomfortable Landing ---> Bumpy Landing ---> Rough Landing ---> Hard Landing ---> Ow My rear end ---> OH GOD MY SPINE ---> Crash Landing ---> I Think We Have a Prob[...[CVR ENDS]...] ---

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bob A Feet posted:

I hate the phrase crash landing. I mean, have some faith in me if I lose the engine(s).

:agreed:

A crash landing is what I do on my couch after a night at the bar...not in an airplane after losing power.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Uncommanded engine shutdown, leading to unintentional off-airport arrival.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Uncommanded engine shutdown, leading to unscheduled off-airport arrival.

fixed

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

There really should be some sort of sliding scale or color coded chart.

Good Landing ---> A Landing ---> Uncomfortable Landing ---> Bumpy Landing ---> Rough Landing ---> Hard Landing ---> Ow My rear end ---> OH GOD MY SPINE ---> Crash Landing ---> I Think We Have a Prob[...[CVR ENDS]...] ---

Guys I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Shim Howard posted:

Guys I'm concerned.

:doh:
I'm that guy who always gets movie quotes slightly wrong.

• Locked thread