Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dude don't even offer it. Why tempt people in depriving them from the same experience you got yourself ie reading it without knowing anything in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
TBF for the image I posted I was technically already spoiled on that part by the volume dust jacket :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Spoiler alert: :siren:Everyone's still dumb.:siren:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

John Carstairs posted:

Spoiler alert: :siren:Everyone's still dumb.:siren:
Hey that's great and all but it would've seriously reduced the impact of recent events if it'd been shared like two volumes ago itt

Doesn't the One Punch Man by Murata thread have the thing where you're not allowed to talk about the original OPM because it's further ahead? Same principle, except with untranslated chapters.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Aw, I know. I was just being silly. :v:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I wouldn't have posted anything if the reactions to the previous spoiler image hadn't seemed completely positive. Good to have clarification.

Mindblast posted:

Dude don't even offer it. Why tempt people in depriving them from the same experience you got yourself ie reading it without knowing anything in advance.

Because 100% spoiler free isn't always the best way to experience stuff. For instance, I read A Song of Ice and Fire last year, and I was moderately spoiled for most every major plot point going in. It greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the books. :shrug: I think the internet at large's attitude towards spoilers is crazy, but at the same time, I'm not the kind of jerk who will go out of their way to "ruin" things for people. So now that people have said they don't want any spoilers in this thread, no spoilers from me. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What you prefer is not what everyone prefers. If someone wants to see what's coming up, there's google and plenty of places to find the raws. I'd rather not have to dodge spoiler tag minefields, thanks for understanding.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah no your preference regarding spoilers is just plain unorthodox, Witt.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wittgen posted:

I wouldn't have posted anything if the reactions to the previous spoiler image hadn't seemed completely positive. Good to have clarification.

Because 100% spoiler free isn't always the best way to experience stuff. For instance, I read A Song of Ice and Fire last year, and I was moderately spoiled for most every major plot point going in. It greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the books. :shrug: I think the internet at large's attitude towards spoilers is crazy, but at the same time, I'm not the kind of jerk who will go out of their way to "ruin" things for people. So now that people have said they don't want any spoilers in this thread, no spoilers from me. :)

Oh man I don't think I could ever want to read ASOIAF with spoilers.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
There are studies showing that when you're reading a story that you've had spoiled you pay more attention to it and tend to get more enjoyment out of it, so it's not an unreasonable position to take.

That being said, people who want to be spoiled can always seek out spoilers but people who don't have to dodge every spoiler because it might be a spoiler from an untranslated chapter instead of the current one. Just control yourself or find somewhere else that's more receptive to talk about it. Don't go deciding how other people want to enjoy it.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 6, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Desuwa posted:

There are studies showing that, when reading a story that you've had spoiled you pay more attention to t and tend to get more enjoyment out of it, so it's not an unreasonable position to take.
This. I'm also one of those people who doesn't care (and almost prefers) if someone spoils me,, but I also find it kind of obvious that people shouldn't enforce their way of enjoying things on other people. No matter what, spoiling someone is a one way road, so it seems trivial to try not to do it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Spoilers aren't a big deal, and they're certainly not a one-way road.

Not when you have the patented Memory Modification Device!

Buy one today and we'll throw in a free Sleep Inducer at no extra cost! No more reliance on sleeping pills! This baby's got you covered!

WARNING: Please do not use the Memory Modification Device and the Sleep Inducer on yourself at the same time.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Desuwa posted:

There are studies showing that when you're reading a story that you've had spoiled you pay more attention to it and tend to get more enjoyment out of it, so it's not an unreasonable position to take.

That study was based on a short story that the participants had no prior investment in, and in that regard spoilers are like a movie trailer of sorts. I'm pretty sure they didn't study how people react to spoilers on media they were already involved in.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fellis posted:

That study was based on a short story that the participants had no prior investment in, and in that regard spoilers are like a movie trailer of sorts. I'm pretty sure they didn't study how people react to spoilers on media they were already involved in.

I imagine there's also a difference between spoiling drama and comedy. Comedy relies so heavily on surprise, spoilers are usually considerably worse for comedic things.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 7, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Here are some spoilers for Chapter 72: funny stuff continues to happen.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is how the city burns to the ground.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Here are some spoilers for Chapter 72: funny stuff continues to happen.

So it's become a rom-com version of Qualia the Purple for Mikan? This I can definitely get behind!!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, if there ever was 'Holy poo poo' chapter, it's this one :unsmigghh:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Someone please edit this scene from The Birds so that it's Mikan and all the birds are wearing sunglasses, tia

I can't stop laughing at how ridiculous the gods of fortune look.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Aizawa is literally selling her soul to the devil :ohdear:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Aizawa is literally selling her soul to the devil :ohdear:

It's cool, she's paying in chocolate.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I have to say, being followed around by a flock of pigeons wearing glasses is not where I expected Mikan's character to go.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

I have to say, being followed around by a flock of pigeons wearing glasses is not where I expected Mikan's character to go.

It is an excellent direction, though. Also, they're holding them in their beaks, not wearing them.

Rin also somehow manages to get more adorable each time she appears. Mikan and everything/everyone related to her is great.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Well, if there ever was 'Holy poo poo' chapter, it's this one :unsmigghh:

War Is (going to be) Hell.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Thus begins the shonen tournament fighting arc.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
With the way the artist draws the principle at times, I really wanna read a horror manga by them. :allears:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zeratanis posted:

With the way the artist draws the principle at times, I really wanna read a horror manga by them. :allears:

Honestly after reading this, I don't think I'd be able to take anything in this artist's style seriously without laughing.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
A couple of pages into the newest chapter and my sides are already hurting so much, send help

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh my god.

I can't.

This was everything I dreamed of when I saw that spoiler panel and so much more.

I am the dead.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 17, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ActionZero posted:

Oh my god.

I can't.

This was everything I dreamed of when I saw that spoiler panel and so much more.

I am the dead.

Yeah

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!
Every single page...

They should have sent a poet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Such a chapter can only be properly discussed in the form of its panels. I title this one "Truthism's equivalent of the scream of 'ultimate suffering' from the Princess Bride":

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ActionZero posted:

Oh my god.

I can't.

I am the dead.

Not an empty quote

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nate RFB posted:

Such a chapter can only be properly discussed in the form of its panels. I title this one "Truthism's equivalent of the scream of 'ultimate suffering' from the Princess Bride":

I want to print out 10 million copies of this and fill a swimming pool with them and go all scrooge mcduck and become one with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

it hurts oh god help

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Where were you when Old Hag won the Asahibowl?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RIP Oka, it was worth it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActionZero posted:

Oh my god.

I can't.

I am the dead.

No, Oka is the dead. Poor Oka. You were the best of Asahi's friends. (Shima is the worst.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Oka X Akane OTP

• Locked thread