Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Feature request: real time centrelink queuing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Seagull posted:

Here's the full climate research section from the report for those playing at home.

I still think it's dumb as hell and it's totally meaningless. It reminds me of back in high school where you'd be presented with a concept and have to give both benefits and drawbacks to it except now you're an adult doing that for some reason.

Here's the reason: because they are about to mention spending lots of money and need to butter you up with something juicier than "we need to figure out the exact details of how years of destroying the planet is going to turn around and ream us". Damage control isn't sexy, but maybe it looks a little sexier if there's a chance of a little something extra on the side.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Oh the centrelink feature is all ready to go

quote:

> take ticket
You take a ticket. Your number: B86. The number on the board says: ?. Your options are: poverty or poverty and wait.
> poverty and wait
You wait. Your options are: poverty or poverty and wait.
> poverty and wa

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Oh the centrelink feature is all ready to go

quote:

> approach counter
No-one is at the counter.
> complain loudly
The other people in the queue shuffle their feet a little and refuse to make eye contact.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Sanguine posted:

He's not perfect, but he's batting better than expected, and better than labour or the LNP (and hence better than the vast majority of the senate). That deserves some praise at least. The migration act thing was BS, but the guy was practically black mailed into it. Being forced into a 'save a few kids now or ...' is always going to be a hard call, particularly for someone with under 6 months in the job.

He may not be leftus christ incarnated, but he deserves some praise for not being absolute poo poo, and frankly that's as good as Aus politics gets at the moment.

Apparently during that debate staff from Scott Morrison's office and department passed Muir's phone number to asylum seekers in Manus and Nauru and encouraged them to get their kids to ring him and plead to him for their freedom. I can't really hold it against the guy.

He's a lot better than others we could have gotten from the micro party raffle, and he is taking each issue on its merits. We could have done a lot worse.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
centrelink is getting pretty streamlined now, you come in, someone with a fondleslab takes your details, then you sit down and wait until moss grows on you.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think young people will be hosed in the future. Robots on one end and 80 year olds in entry level jobs in the other end.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Auspol Adventure BETA

Shamelessly cribbed from here and put together with Twine.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Zetsubou-san posted:

centrelink is getting pretty streamlined now, you come in, someone with a fondleslab takes your details, then you sit down and wait until moss grows on you.

So I'm on Newstart, and as part of Newstart you need to pretend to apply for jobs every fortnight. The last two or so times I went to Centrelink to hand in my list of jobs I'd applied for, they took the list from me then basically said "we're too busy to deal with you, go away". So I guess that's pretty streamlined, in and out in five minutes.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Turks posted:

So I'm on Newstart, and as part of Newstart you need to pretend to apply for jobs every fortnight. The last two or so times I went to Centrelink to hand in my list of jobs I'd applied for, they took the list from me then basically said "we're too busy to deal with you, go away". So I guess that's pretty streamlined, in and out in five minutes.

Why'd you go into Centrelink when you can do it online?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

spamman posted:

Apparently during that debate staff from Scott Morrison's office and department passed Muir's phone number to asylum seekers in Manus and Nauru and encouraged them to get their kids to ring him and plead to him for their freedom. I can't really hold it against the guy.

Tell me you have a source for this :psyboom:

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

auzdark posted:

Sometimes it's nice to have human contact :unsmith:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

auzdark posted:

With the Centrelink system rigged up as it is, you can't really trust anything you need to do reporting wise online. At least I wouldn't, and I'd get a reference number for every time I reported in.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

katlington posted:

The source is Muir himself.

Hansard posted:

This has been an extremely difficult process for me. I agree with the remarks made by my colleague Senator Xenophon, who I know has been working extremely hard on this issue. There are many parts of this bill that I am not comfortable with. Whilst I have not had the opportunity to visit detention centres to hear their stories personally, I cannot ignore a joint letter written by refugees on Christmas Island. In that letter, they state that, if a TPV was the only option this government was going to offer, to accept it, because the mental anguish and pain cannot go on. It was a plea, a loud cry for help.

Tonight I have also spoken with people who have worked closely with detainees on Christmas Island. They told me that this bill is not completely fair, but that the detainees are tired. They told me that the detainees have had enough and that they want out. They are desperate. She told me that they have watched the news and they know it is down to one vote, and that vote is mine.

While I was speaking to these people and they were informing me, they started to break down and cry as they were speaking about children who have been in detention since they were born who are two years old. They speak about the word 'out'. To them 'out' means going to church on occasion, and that is it. When they hear the word 'out', they cannot begin to associate it with freedom.

They told the people in detention that they rang the office of the man whose decision it was to decide whether they would be out of detention before Christmas. That man wasn't the minister for immigration; it was me. It should not be like this but it is. The crossbench should not have been put in this position, but it has.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Birb Katter posted:

Sometimes it's nice to have human contact :unsmith:

Every fortnight I tell them I did it online. Every two months I need to walk into the office to give them a sheet of paper.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

CrazyTolradi posted:

With the Centrelink system rigged up as it is, you can't really trust anything you need to do reporting wise online. At least I wouldn't, and I'd get a reference number for every time I reported in.

Also what he's referring to is meant to be a personal contact interview. Something they are not allowed to hand pass to the online system. I believe the idea was so you could receive feedback on your efforts, but with them so utterly short staffed and required to deal with actual claim issues its become just another needless tick box.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Both sides of the media have been attacking Abbott hysterically whereas the Left gave Gillard a much easier run. So many of the recent attacks on Abbott have been unfounded. Blaming him for insulting Indonesia leading to no clemency on the Bali 9 tying leaders, ignoring that nothing he could do absolutely save them, which their president said time and time again, irrefutably unfounded claims that he wanted a unilateral invasion of Iraq, not even reporting on the legitimate critisisms of Trigg and her children in detention inquiry/witchhunt, blaming him for booking a male only club room for a liberal women's event when he had nothing to do with it, attacking Abbott for having numerous flags behind him during a speach when the same media were silent when Rudd and Gillard did exactly the same thing, claiming business has lost confidence in Abbott but they only spoke to one person, spinning an increase in the polls to a negative for him, claiming over and over that Turnbull has the numbers to be the PM when he never did and many more over only the last few weeks. Gillard never copped anything like this yet she still called an enquiry into the media and came very close to establishing a government run media regulator to regulate "bias" in private media. She was simply incompetent, Rudd was a psycho but much better. Abbotts done a fair bit wrong but he's not the pantomime villan he's been made out to be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Source you are quotes

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

gay picnic defence posted:

Both sides of the media have been attacking Abbott hysterically whereas the Left gave Gillard a much easier run. So many of the recent attacks on Abbott have been unfounded. Blaming him for insulting Indonesia leading to no clemency on the Bali 9 tying leaders, ignoring that nothing he could do absolutely save them, which their president said time and time again, irrefutably unfounded claims that he wanted a unilateral invasion of Iraq, not even reporting on the legitimate critisisms of Trigg and her children in detention inquiry/witchhunt, blaming him for booking a male only club room for a liberal women's event when he had nothing to do with it, attacking Abbott for having numerous flags behind him during a speach when the same media were silent when Rudd and Gillard did exactly the same thing, claiming business has lost confidence in Abbott but they only spoke to one person, spinning an increase in the polls to a negative for him, claiming over and over that Turnbull has the numbers to be the PM when he never did and many more over only the last few weeks. Gillard never copped anything like this yet she still called an enquiry into the media and came very close to establishing a government run media regulator to regulate "bias" in private media. She was simply incompetent, Rudd was a psycho but much better. Abbotts done a fair bit wrong but he's not the pantomime villan he's been made out to be.

ironically agree with all this. leave tony alone. have you ever considered that maybe you're all being super mean to him

Julia Trillard
Apr 19, 2009

YOLO CARBON PRINCESS

Pope's stuff always deeply, deeply repulses me and I'm totally onboard with that.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

katlington posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/ricky-muirs-anguish-on-asylum-vote-20141205-1219av.html

I thought this was widely known, although having a read its just SHY claiming that it happened but with no rebuttal direct from Muir we may never know.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

You should stop criticising Terrible Thing A because people were slightly less critical of Much Less Terrible Thing B

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

tithin posted:

It's a subtle prompt to elaborate.

The first Rudd govt was elected after building a massive cult of personality around Kevin07. Once in power they had actual policies which and seemed to building towards actively attempting to make Australia a better place i.e. NBN, dismantling of the Pacific Solution, ETS, Mining Super Profits Tax, dismantling of WorkChoices, introduction of Fairwork Australia, and kept the economy from receding by pouring a fuckload of cash into the economy during the GFC.

The ALP get a few bad polls (which i'm fairly certain were still showing the ALP ahead with 2PP) after a concerted effort by mining companies re: the Mining Super Profits Tax and the LNP re: going into debt during the GFC. They then panic and knife Kevin Rudd, the person who they built their entire 2007 election campaign around and proceed to water down the Mining Super Profits Tax after Julia Gillard "consulted" with the mining companies.

2010 election campaign starts. Julia Gillard announces a 3 year hiatus on doing anything about climate change.

Hung parliament. Julia Gillard is forced by the Greens to do something about climate change. The ALP buy into the LNP's argument about debt and pledge to bring the budget back into surplus instead of telling the LNP to gently caress off. The ALP buy into the LNP's argument about asylum seekers and attempt the Malaysia Solution. Julia Gillard yells at Tony Abbott about sexism due to the constant barrage of thinly veiled bigoted slurs she's faced on the same day that payments to single mothers are cut. Julia Gillard talks poo poo about Greens voters, fucks over Andrew Wilkie etc etc.

tl;dr The ALP at least tried to pretend they stood for something when Rudd was first PM, Gillard was all about holding onto power at all costs.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Man gently caress The Drum.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

thatfatkid posted:

The ALP get a few bad polls (which i'm fairly certain were still showing the ALP ahead with 2PP) after a concerted effort by mining companies re: the Mining Super Profits Tax and the LNP re: going into debt during the GFC. They then panic and knife Kevin Rudd, the person who they built their entire 2007 election campaign around and proceed to water down the Mining Super Profits Tax after Julia Gillard "consulted" with the mining companies.

You're conveniently missing how the government had ground to a halt because Rudd was becoming a Howard Hughes control freak and wouldn't sign off on anything hth

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

I hope this is a real thing that you wrote and believe unironically

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Adnar posted:

You're conveniently missing how the government had ground to a halt because Rudd was becoming a Howard Hughes control freak and wouldn't sign off on anything hth

I don't give a poo poo about Enews level personality gossip. The ALP under Rudd had ALP policies, the ALP under Gillard had LNP policies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gonski and NDIS: Coalition policies.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Gonski and NDIS: Coalition policies.

Ah Gonski. Let's ignore most of the recommendations and defund universities to pay for primary schools what a wonderful idea.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Adnar posted:

Remember how the media obsessed over Rudd's paranoia and insane micromanagement while uncritically pushing Abbott as a future leader. Remember how they started doing it all over again but now its Abbott and Turnbull. Rmemeber the time Chris Kenny hosed a dog

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Remember how the media obsessed over Rudd's paranoia and insane micromanagement while uncritically pushing Abbott as a future leader. Remember how they started doing it all over again but now its Abbott and Turnbull. Rmemeber the time Chris Kenny hosed a dog

mostly the last one

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Post it here when you do, please. This seems like the good stuff.

The Slate on Cowmageddon man has some links.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Remember how the media obsessed over Rudd's paranoia and insane micromanagement while uncritically pushing Abbott as a future leader

Was that even a big thing in the media?

I honestly don't remember I was off the grid in S America at the time but as far as I knew the fact that that wasn't terribly public was one of the main reasons that the electorate despised Gillard from the get go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thatfatkid posted:

Ah Gonski. Let's ignore most of the recommendations and defund universities to pay for primary schools what a wonderful idea.

Cutting higher education was a dumb idea but the policy itself wasn't, and given how much the Coalition has tried to back out of it it's clearly not the kind of policy they're happy with.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Cutting higher education was a dumb idea but the policy itself wasn't, and given how much the Coalition has tried to back out of it it's clearly not the kind of policy they're happy with.

They cut higher education because they bought into the LNP's rhetoric about debt, household budgets and all that bullshit.

Are you going to argue that the Malaysia Solution wasn't LNP policy as well?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I definitely agree with that not-LNP shill, this coming election I've decided to vote Tony Abbott into power and say goodbye to that fraud Liar Lardo. There's no way they can lose, I just know 2014 is gonna be a way better year

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

thatfatkid posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Enews level personality gossip. The ALP under Rudd had ALP policies, the ALP under Gillard had LNP policies.

Tripling of the tax free threshold, ratifying the Kyoto treaty, plain packaging of cigarettes. All things that the Coalition would have done of course

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I definitely agree with that not-LNP shill, this coming election I've decided to vote Tony Abbott into power and say goodbye to that fraud Liar Lardo. There's no way they can lose, I just know 2014 is gonna be a way better year

Did you just call me a LNP shill? :psyduck:

Gentleman Baller posted:

Tripling of the tax free threshold, ratifying the Kyoto treaty, plain packaging of cigarettes. All things that the Coalition would have done of course

Tax free threshold was part of the Carbon Tax which they never wanted to do in the first place.

Kyoto accomplished what exactly?

Plain packaging should've been introduced for junk food and alcohol as well if they were really concerned about the health of the citizenry. It was simply a cynical attack against the tobacco companies to buy votes.

thatfatkid fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

Did you just call me a LNP shill? :psyduck:

no, who are you

• Locked thread