Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

Don't you post pages long reviews of Doctor Who episodes? :P

Yes, but I don't care about any of it. THAT MEANS IT DOESN'T COUNT. OBVIOUSLY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Jmcrofts posted:

I think matches are infinite - boxes have definitely reappeared in places I've already grabbed them from.
I don't think they're infinite, it's just you only take what you need, so the rest will stay put until you deplete them. There are a lot though, especially when you get to the kitchen, there are tons of them there. I'm really slow, and haven't ran out yet.

Yeah I'm digging White Night so far, this was a nice surprise and blind impulse buy. There are some pretty chilling moments already, and I'm only an hour or so in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Hamshot posted:

:siren:Don't discuss horror games in the horror games thread, NERDS!:siren:

Actually, FNAF lore would be better served by a FNAF thread

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Adder Moray posted:

The murders happened prior to the bite during FNAF2. That's why none of the suits were acting right. I'll write up a FNAF 1 through 3 timeline when I have time

Hamshot posted:

When did the murders occur in that timeline? Prior to FNAF 2, when there was just Golden Freddy at Fred Bear's Family Diner (the FNAF 2 minigame), that child's ghost became the marionette I assume, and then the others after the 4 original animatronics are finally introduced but still prior to FNAF 2 to explain why they're all psychotic then?

And something neat I noticed looking up stuff, the FNAF 2 Night 6 phonecall goes "Someone used one of the suits. We had a spare in the back, a yellow one, someone used it...now none of them are acting right." That must have been when the ghosts got the purple man into springtrap.

Doesn't the Foxy minigame in FNAF2 imply that the five kids were killed while foxy was active? But he was never active while at the FNAF2 location. The only thing that I can think of is that five kids total (one outside and four more later on, inside) died at Fredbear's, then the killer came back and killed another kid at the FNAF2 location, which would explain the GIVE GIFTS/LIFE minigame having a fifth kid appear and immediately be obscured by the Golden Freddy jumpscare.

With that said, only five kids show up during the minigame in FNAF3 where the killer hops into spring Bonnie, so I might be way off.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Can we just talk about how great the part where the purple man hops into the suit is? I love the way he snickers like a cocky assholes moments before getting springmurdered. He was REALLY CONFIDENT that that thing was ghost proof. For some reason. I probably found that scene funnier than I was supposed to, but then again FNAF is as much black comedy as it is horror so who knows.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Zinkraptor posted:

Can we just talk about how great the part where the purple man hops into the suit is? I love the way he snickers like a cocky assholes moments before getting springmurdered. He was REALLY CONFIDENT that that thing was ghost proof. For some reason. I probably found that scene funnier than I was supposed to, but then again FNAF is as much black comedy as it is horror so who knows.

2 best things about it?

1. His death throws the moment he dies are in the trailer.

2. They tell you exactly what happened in one of the calls. Do not breathe on the spring-locks.

It was the laughing like a smug rear end in a top hat that killed him.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Hamshot posted:

And something neat I noticed looking up stuff, the FNAF 2 Night 6 phonecall goes "Someone used one of the suits. We had a spare in the back, a yellow one, someone used it...now none of them are acting right." That must have been when the ghosts got the purple man into springtrap.

He DID say there was an opening on the day shift. Most people assumed it would have been because of the murderer fleeing/being arrested... but perhaps it was because he got himself killed.

This brings to question why the building was so run-down looking in the minigames in 3, though. Maybe the place just leaked during storms.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Wouldn't it make more sense if the yellow suit he used was Golden Freddy? It could've been the second suit designed to be worn. That doesn't explain why it's the hauntedest, though.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Conro101 posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense if the yellow suit he used was Golden Freddy? It could've been the second suit designed to be worn. That doesn't explain why it's the hauntedest, though.

Why would that make more sense than Spring-Trap/Spring-Bonnie being the one?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

He DID say there was an opening on the day shift. Most people assumed it would have been because of the murderer fleeing/being arrested... but perhaps it was because he got himself killed.

This brings to question why the building was so run-down looking in the minigames in 3, though. Maybe the place just leaked during storms.

Actually, the layout of the building in the mini games is the same as the building in FNAF 1, which implies he died sometime after the events of the first game, well after FNAF 2

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
So I"m hankering for some more old school/traditional type horror and was eyeing up Siren Blood Curse. It's supposed to be good right? I figured that or Fatal Frame 3, but I've never been able to bring myself to finish the first 2.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 5, 2015

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The Siren games are very very hard to play honestly. I love em but would not recommend them. Fatal Frame 3 is excellent though, i'd point you towards that.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

The Siren games are very very hard to play honestly. I love em but would not recommend them. Fatal Frame 3 is excellent though, i'd point you towards that.

What's hard about them? Like unforgiving, bad controls, just poorly designed?

But unless someone comes in here saying it's horrible with a good argument I'll probably most definitely get FF3. Wish I had a Wii U to play the patched version of 4 or 5.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FNAF always seemed like it was going the same route as Silent Hill - you've got your main storyline, which has its fair share of creepiness, but then you read into it and look at the big picture and suddenly there's dead children everywhere. I do think it worked better when all this stuff was in the background though. It's arguably become the main attraction of the game.

Leper Residue posted:

So I"m hankering for some more old school/traditional type horror and was eyeing up Siren Blood Curse. It's supposed to be good right? I figured that or Fatal Frame 3, but I've never been able to bring myself to finish the first 2.

Remember when there was that fad for US remakes of Japanese horror movies? That, but as a game. It's decent by itself, but there's some very annoying things about it, like the split-screen effect when you're being chased, or the fact that the main character looks like Frankie Muniz from Malcolm In The Middle.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Leper Residue posted:

But unless someone comes in here saying it's horrible with a good argument I'll probably most definitely get FF3. Wish I had a Wii U to play the patched version of 4 or 5.

I would strongly urge you to play both Fatal Frame 1 and 2 prior to 3. Three is sort of the climax of a loosely connected trilogy, and knowledge/experience of the previous games will help you both aesthetically and mechanically when you play three. Of them, the first game is the straight-up hardest, the second game is extremely accessible and almost too easy, and the third is kind of just right, although all of them suffer from a "where the gently caress do I go now" syndrome.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I would strongly urge you to play both Fatal Frame 1 and 2 prior to 3. Three is sort of the climax of a loosely connected trilogy, and knowledge/experience of the previous games will help you both aesthetically and mechanically when you play three. Of them, the first game is the straight-up hardest, the second game is extremely accessible and almost too easy, and the third is kind of just right, although all of them suffer from a "where the gently caress do I go now" syndrome.

I've played 1 and 2 just never beat them. In fact in two I think got to a certain point and just had no idea where to go next so I said gently caress it and stopped playing. This was back when it was first released though.

Edit: Holy poo poo it's been 12 years jesus.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

FNAF always seemed like it was going the same route as Silent Hill - you've got your main storyline, which has its fair share of creepiness, but then you read into it and look at the big picture and suddenly there's dead children everywhere. I do think it worked better when all this stuff was in the background though. It's arguably become the main attraction of the game.

Remember when there was that fad for US remakes of Japanese horror movies? That, but as a game. It's decent by itself, but there's some very annoying things about it, like the split-screen effect when you're being chased, or the fact that the main character looks like Frankie Muniz from Malcolm In The Middle.

haha, I did an image search of it and yeah wow he does look like he's straight from Malcolm in the Middle.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 5, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Silent Hill is a lot more subtle than "dead children everywhere"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well I should hope an entire writing team can come up with something more subtle than one dude who doesn't even write as a tertiary career.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Improbable Lobster posted:

Silent Hill is a lot more subtle than "dead children everywhere"

Yeah, there are nurse monsters with tits that seem to get bigger with each sequel.

must be ghosts

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd recomend EgoManiac's Siren LP's to anyone interested in the games but not willing to fight the awkward and janky controls. He covers EVERYTHING about them in detail, doesn't talk over the videos and it's played well.

edit: One of the best things about the Siren games is that it's thoroughly creepy, tense and offputting even when you aren't playing the game. I tried watching some Fatal Frame LP's, but I don't know. Always feels like I'd have to be the one playing them for me to get the full effect.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
E: ^^^ Dangit! :mad:

Leper Residue posted:

They're very... obtuse, let's say.

Honestly, if you want to experience Siren, you'd probably be best off watching Egomaniac's LPs. All subtitled, so you're not gonna hear someone talking constantly, which is good because the voice acting in 1 is hilariously bad. 2 is probably the best of the lot, if only due to how god drat creepy and weird it gets at times.

The stuff those games do with faces is kind of scary in and of itself, actually...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blister posted:

Yeah, there are nurse monsters with tits that seem to get bigger with each sequel.

must be ghosts

No see the tits are part of the theme. They represent the main characters constant hard-on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think I've seen FNAF fan art like that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

poptart_fairy posted:

I think I've seen FNAF fan art like that.

Stay off the Tumblrs, kid, that stuff'll rot your brain.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Leper Residue posted:

There's a ton of memorization involved, like enemy routes, landmarks in various, maps, etc

There's also the fact that while there is a mission select, it doesn't appear until you've cleared X levels, which can cause you to replay some older levels repeatedly and lead to burnout if you aren't psychic and figure out what's needed to trigger alternate levels. (The game will give you a hint hte 2nd time around, but sometimes it's pretty obtuse)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Blood Curse has that level where the girl hides inside a Shibito house. :gonk: One of the best levels in a horror game.

Which reminds me, I'm always on the lookout for ~ that level ~ in horror games, the one that just sticks with you after you finish your playthrough. If only, because I like finding them on Youtube and watching them because I'm a wuss :v: I dunno, the Plaster Splicer Basement in Bioshock, the Shibito House in Siren: BC, the Mall in Condemned (which I haven't been able to find a video on just yet, was it in 1 or 2?)

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Apart from the Fox animatronic you would think the creator would have at least one more animatronic or gimmick where one of them slowly moves or sprints at you in the camera feed. Just seeing them move around live in that creepy 90's CGI animation down a hallway next to you would be terrifying and I'm kinda bummed the third game didn't have that since it's only one robot.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Azran posted:

Blood Curse has that level where the girl hides inside a Shibito house. :gonk: One of the best levels in a horror game.

Which reminds me, I'm always on the lookout for ~ that level ~ in horror games, the one that just sticks with you after you finish your playthrough. If only, because I like finding them on Youtube and watching them because I'm a wuss :v: I dunno, the Plaster Splicer Basement in Bioshock, the Shibito House in Siren: BC, the Mall in Condemned (which I haven't been able to find a video on just yet, was it in 1 or 2?)
Ocean House Hotel from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, the asylum from The Suffering, and Lakeside Amusement Park from Silent Hill 3 to name a few.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Azran posted:

The Mall was in the first Condemned. Chip Cheezum did a subtitled LP of it that flew under just about everyone's radar that's worth watching. I don't think he ever planned to do the second game, but that's not surprising, really.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
2 does have that lodge though.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

SirDrone posted:

Apart from the Fox animatronic you would think the creator would have at least one more animatronic or gimmick where one of them slowly moves or sprints at you in the camera feed. Just seeing them move around live in that creepy 90's CGI animation down a hallway next to you would be terrifying and I'm kinda bummed the third game didn't have that since it's only one robot.

This one kinda does, because the robot isn't twitchy, it moves like a person and its really gross.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Ocean House Hotel from Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, the asylum from The Suffering, and Lakeside Amusement Park from Silent Hill 3 to name a few.

That ocean house hotel is really awful after like 2-3 playthroughs.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
As much as I love vampire I'll always noclip the beach house and the sewers.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Azran posted:

Shalebridge Cradle, Thief 3

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Does anyone know what episode of the LP the Shibito house is? I'm going to start watching them again tonight, but if time is tight I'd really like to see that one.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I just had an epiphany that makes too much sense. Regarding how the purple man dies in the minigames in FNAF: it's after the events of FNAF 1 and the restaurant has since been shut down and the animatronics abandoned, explaining the boarded up rooms, rats, drips from the ceiling and being so empty. The purple man returns, perhaps haunted by the ghosts, and destroys the animatronics god-knows-how but is cornered by the ghosts, putting springtrap on. It explains how nobody noticed a corpse in one of the animatronics, how springtrap looks already quite raggedy in the trailer showing purple man's death throes, why it was the only animatronic the guys setting up the haunted house were able to locate and the layout of the animatroic heads in the good/bad ending screens.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 5, 2015

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Hamshot posted:

I just had an epiphany that makes too much sense. Regarding how the purple man dies in the minigames in FNAF: it's after the events of FNAF 1 and the restaurant has since been shut down and the animatronics abandoned, explaining the boarded up rooms, rats, drips from the ceiling and being so empty. The purple man returns, perhaps haunted by the ghosts, and destroys the animatronics god-knows-how but is cornered by the ghosts, putting springtrap on. It explains how nobody noticed a corpse in one of the animatronics, how springtrap looks already quite raggedy in the trailer showing purple man's death throes, why it was the only animatronic the guys setting up the haunted house were able to locate and the layout of the animatroic heads in the good/bad ending screens.

That... makes a surprising amount of sense. It explains why the minigames take place in the restaurant from the first game, too. The phone call where phone guy mentions spring bonnie being moved could just be a red herring, like all of the phone calls in FNAF2.

Nothing explains why the murderer assumed the animatronic suit was ghost proof, though. Unless he figured if the ghosts couldn't get out of the animatronics without him destroying the suits, then they couldn't get to him through the suit, either.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I assumed that it was behaviour carrying over from the haunted robots, in that they'd leave you alone when you were dressed up like them. Purple Man starts laughing when the ghosts ignore him...only to trigger off all the mechanics and get himself ripped apart.

That final scene was low in detail, but high in :gonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

That... makes a surprising amount of sense. It explains why the minigames take place in the restaurant from the first game, too. The phone call where phone guy mentions spring bonnie being moved could just be a red herring, like all of the phone calls in FNAF2.

It's one more thing that the trailer tells you outright. "He comes back. He always does. We have a place for him."

Going by the flashbacks in the second game, Purple Man first killed near the original Fredbear's restaurant, though it was just one victim either outside of the restaurant itself or in a place where he couldn't be seen. He then got bolder and spree-killed four more children in the second game's location, luring them with the Gold Freddy costume, and then escaped or disappeared. The Marionette - which was either always a supernatural entity or possessed by the first victim - placed the murdered spirits in the other animatronics, which then started to get Scary at people. The Bite of '87 may have been a result of growing pains more than anything.

Later, the killer stayed away from the restaurant chain as it went into its death throes, but apparently broke into the now-derelict location from the first game to destroy the suits and finish the job. He probably wasn't expecting horrible child-ghosts, though. They herded him into the restaurant's saferoom where Spring Trap was kept, and he put it on out of desperation. Then, other stuff happened.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
At first I thought the purple guy was just one of the security guards dressing up to dismantle the animatronics so he could do his damned job in peace and then freaking out when the ghosts showed up

But I guess that's pretty clearly not the case