Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Bloody Queef posted:

Since I'm a tax accountant (not individual, thankfully) everyone I know comes to me with questions. Most are easy or I can find the IRC to answer, but this one befuddled me.

Buddy left a job back in Jan 14, then moved. Apparently didn't tell his former employer that he moved. Do he never got a W2, he got into contact with HR who reissued his W2, which never showed up. He's requesting it again, but doesn't have much faith he'll get it.

He, if course, is an idiot and never kept his pay stubs, so he can't fill out the estimated employer withholding form (forget the number off hand) if he extends, can he get a copy of his W2 info from the IRS before 10/15?

How far away did he move? If he's still relatively close couldn't he just have former HR get him a new one and he pick it up in person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Since I'm a tax accountant (not individual, thankfully) everyone I know comes to me with questions. Most are easy or I can find the IRC to answer, but this one befuddled me.

Buddy left a job back in Jan 14, then moved. Apparently didn't tell his former employer that he moved. Do he never got a W2, he got into contact with HR who reissued his W2, which never showed up. He's requesting it again, but doesn't have much faith he'll get it.

He, if course, is an idiot and never kept his pay stubs, so he can't fill out the estimated employer withholding form (forget the number off hand) if he extends, can he get a copy of his W2 info from the IRS before 10/15?

The IRS usually has the paperwork processed by the fall, at which point he can go to https://www.irs.gov and get a 2014 wage and income transcript which will list the W-2. It will NOT list state and local income and withholding, only the federal issues.

Usually done around August/September.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Pumpy Dumper posted:

How far away did he move? If he's still relatively close couldn't he just have former HR get him a new one and he pick it up in person?

HR is in CA, he's on the east coast. This is a major company that just has terrible infrastructure.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character
So I received a 1099-MISC that reports an amount $1500 less than I received. I got the check for $1500 on Dec. 31st and deposited it that day, so I think it should count for 2014. Can I just report the correct number on my 1040 without getting a corrected 1099, would this be a problem? If my employer puts that $1500 on the 1099-MISC for 2015, would it be easy for me to deduct it so I don't pay tax on it twice?

The reason I don't want to just let it slide until my 2015 return is I expect my marginal tax bracket to go up from 25% in 2014 to 28% in 2015, so I'd rather pay less tax on that $1500, especially since it seems like reporting it for 2014 is the correct way to go. I also might be on the hook for some local business taxes this year that I'm below the threshold for last year.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
My wife and I are MFJ and are trying to make sure we actually qualify for the lifetime learning credit. We are below the MAGI cutoff of $108,000. She paid over $10,000 in tuition for her spring 2014 med school semester, however her government loans went directly to the school, not through us. We did not receive a 1098-T from them, which I assume is because they billed us for the spring 2014 semester in late 2013. I'm filling this out with turbotax, but because the school did not provide a supplemental 1098-T, I am entering our 2014 tuition paid manually. I want to make sure that this is OK, and make sure I have the right proof if the IRS ever asks.

I'm basing my assumption that we can claim the lifetime learning credit for 2014 on this:

Pub 970 (2014) posted:

Paid with borrowed funds. You can claim a lifetime learning credit for qualified education expenses paid with the proceeds of a loan. You use the expenses to figure the lifetime learning credit for the year in which the expenses are paid, not the year in which the loan is repaid. Treat loan disbursements sent directly to the educational institution as paid on the date the institution credits the student's account.

We have been contacting the student accounting office and are trying to confirm that the tuition was credited to her account in 2014, not late 2013. Over the phone they said they credited the account on January 2nd, 2014, but when we asked for proof they mailed us a printout that did not specify a date. Before we hound them further, will something stating our account was credited in 2014 be enough proof for us to claim the credit? I don't want to make a $2,000 mistake.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So I'm an international PhD student on an F-1 visa and this year I'm supposed to file as resident (as I've passed my 5th year of presence in the US).

The thing is, I've received (or rather, will receive) a 1042-S for an "award" (a one-off fellowship) that I won at my school (they are issuing a 1042 vs a 1099 because i am international).

I was going through my return on Turbotax today and apparently it won't let me input the award as a 1042 form (they only support 1099). Will just inputing the award in as part of a 1099 form blow things up (it shouldn't affect the total tax liability...it just gets grossed into my income)? Is there any DIY tax software that will let me do a 1042 as part of my income (doesn't have to be free).

Also, Turbotax seems to think that I am eligible for the American Opportunity Credit...this feels wrong given the following facts:
a) I am in grad school (and I indicated that in the questionnaire...)
b) I'm past my 4th year of grad school

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

So I'm an international PhD student on an F-1 visa and this year I'm supposed to file as resident (as I've passed my 5th year of presence in the US).

The thing is, I've received (or rather, will receive) a 1042-S for an "award" (a one-off fellowship) that I won at my school (they are issuing a 1042 vs a 1099 because i am international).

I was going through my return on Turbotax today and apparently it won't let me input the award as a 1042 form (they only support 1099). Will just inputing the award in as part of a 1099 form blow things up (it shouldn't affect the total tax liability...it just gets grossed into my income)? Is there any DIY tax software that will let me do a 1042 as part of my income (doesn't have to be free).

Also, Turbotax seems to think that I am eligible for the American Opportunity Credit...this feels wrong given the following facts:
a) I am in grad school (and I indicated that in the questionnaire...)
b) I'm past my 4th year of grad school

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Turbotax tried to tell me and my wife that we were eligible for the American Opportunity Credit as well. I went back and re-did that section or at least updated our school info and only then did I have to opportunity to tell them we were past 4 years of secondary school. After that it then correctly told us we were ineligible. I don't know if I just missed that part the first time around or what, but I'm glad I caught it. You may have hit the same bug as me, if it was a bug.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
What do I do if I need to file an amended tax form for 2013 (the one I filed in 2014) and I can't find my W-2 for that year? Can I request the info back? The reason is because I claimed myself as a dependent whereas my folks did, too. I'm filing again because I used the 1040-EZ whereas theirs was pretty complicated, I also lived with them for about half of 2013. This year I am not being claimed by them and am claiming myself.

:ohdear:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm not so sure on how paying taxes on Roth IRA works but I maxed out my contribution at $5,500 this year but it seemed like they did not ask me anything about it when I was filling out my taxes or did I receive a form for the Roth IRA with the tax information. Is this normal?

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
There's nothing for TT, H&R, or some other random online filing software to really ask you about for your Roth IRA. You were taxed on the money already. You're all set, and won't see any tax forms from your provider until you have a distribution event.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Madbullogna posted:

There's nothing for TT, H&R, or some other random online filing software to really ask you about for your Roth IRA. You were taxed on the money already. You're all set, and won't see any tax forms from your provider until you have a distribution event.

Pretty sure taxact asks, at least.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
They ask, in order to assess whether your MAGI was below the cutoff for the contribution that you made. Technically speaking, you would not necessarily know whether your income exceeded the limit until you file your taxes. If you had high enough income to disqualify you from the contribution, it will let you know that you need to withdraw the excess contributions.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I hope this is an easy one.

I never received my W2 from my former employer from last year. I called up and he said he'd resend it. What I got in the mail today was just a photocopied piece of paper titled "Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement 2014." It has the amount earned, the amount I paid in state and federal taxes, and seems to have all the right info I need. But right on top it says "EMPLOYER REFERENCE COPY -- DO NOT FILE." Do I need to call up my former employer and have him resend an actual W2 form or will H&R know what to do with this?

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

I had a child this year, and to my surprise using TaxAct Online, my return this year would be about $1000 less than it was last year as just a married couple. Our salaries have only increased about 3% (combined income under $70,000). I don't recall anything about last year that made our return especially high, but I was really surprised by what it said our return would be this year because generally people think you get more money when you have a child. Would it be advisable to re-enter all of the info or pay a tax preparer to make sure I didn't make a mistake, or was there any legislation that inflated people's returns last year?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

WashinMyGoat posted:

I had a child this year, and to my surprise using TaxAct Online, my return this year would be about $1000 less than it was last year as just a married couple. Our salaries have only increased about 3% (combined income under $70,000). I don't recall anything about last year that made our return especially high, but I was really surprised by what it said our return would be this year because generally people think you get more money when you have a child. Would it be advisable to re-enter all of the info or pay a tax preparer to make sure I didn't make a mistake, or was there any legislation that inflated people's returns last year?
You're filing taxes for 2014, and had a kid in 2015?

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

SiGmA_X posted:

You're filing taxes for 2014, and had a kid in 2015?

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. My son was born in May of 2014.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

WashinMyGoat posted:

Impossible to say without more information. In principle you qualify for the child tax credit. What was your AGI last year and what was your AGI this year? What was your withholding this year versus last year when comparing W2s? It's possible your overall tax burden decreased but due to more accurate paycheck withholding you are getting a smaller refund at the end of the year.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Impossible to say without more information. In principle you qualify for the child tax credit. What was your AGI last year and what was your AGI this year? What was your withholding this year versus last year when comparing W2s? It's possible your overall tax burden decreased but due to more accurate paycheck withholding you are getting a smaller refund at the end of the year.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a peek at last years return and W2s and compare it to this year to see if that could be the case. I appreciate the help.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Pretty sure taxact asks, at least.

The other reason to ask is to let you know if you contributed too much.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Madbullogna posted:

Turbotax (at least) also tracks your basis, which is useful if you use it every year.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I did not receive a 1099-B for non-qualified stock options that I sold last year. I paid taxes on the sale and it was included on my W2 as income but I have no idea how I'm actually supposed to report this. I only have a year-end stock plan summary from my broker and thats all I will be getting apparently.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Madbullogna posted:

When was I taxed on that money already? All I did was take the money from my paycheck -> deposit it into my Roth IRA account. When was it taxed?

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

Busy Bee posted:

When was I taxed on that money already? All I did was take the money from my paycheck -> deposit it into my Roth IRA account. When was it taxed?

At the same time the rest of your paycheck was taxed. That amount was still included in box 1 of your W-2, and you ended up paying the same amount of income tax as if you had not made the Roth contribution.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
So I'm in a bit of a rock and a hard place. I made less than 9000 dollars last year and I was a student but one of those classes (the remedial math) didn't count for actual credit hours. Most of the 9000 dollars was made as an independent contractor, and now the irs says it I owe 675 which I don't have. I make 11.50 an hour in retail and go to school full time. I just... Don't have it and don't know what to do.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

The Big Whoop posted:

So I'm in a bit of a rock and a hard place. I made less than 9000 dollars last year and I was a student but one of those classes (the remedial math) didn't count for actual credit hours. Most of the 9000 dollars was made as an independent contractor, and now the irs says it I owe 675 which I don't have. I make 11.50 an hour in retail and go to school full time. I just... Don't have it and don't know what to do.

If their numbers are accurate, then ask about a repayment plan.

How is your withholding that far off on that amount of earnings; self employment tax?

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition

balancedbias posted:

If their numbers are accurate, then ask about a repayment plan.

How is your withholding that far off on that amount of earnings; self employment tax?

Yes, even though I was a contractor it was consitered a self employment tax.
Would it be a good step to see a financial advisor? Right now it's gonna take forever to save up for, I don't even make 500 every two weeks :l

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Big Whoop posted:

Would it be a good step to see a financial advisor? Right now it's gonna take forever to save up for, I don't even make 500 every two weeks :l

Just get a repayment plan. You can request one on the IRS website, or send in a 9465 form to request one. 20 bucks a month should do it. I think they do charge a fee to have a payment plan, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Also, if you have to be an independent contractor, remember the SE tax. You may need to make quarterly estimated payments once you start to owe over a certain threshold. $1000, i think?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
I'm a bit confused about my return this year given my work situation for 2014.

I worked for a consulting company living and working full time in NYC but had to fly to Minneapolis every week for about 4 months. I received one W2 from this company and it has Minnesota wages split out for items 15 & 16 for the time I was working there. In Turbotax, there's a section in personal for making money in other states (which prompts to download another state in addition to NY), but there's also an area for this on the NY state return. Which specific areas of the return do I need to specify this type of income? Do I definitely need to buy the MN additional state for this type of scenario?

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 8, 2015

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

UncleGuito posted:

I'm a bit confused about my return this year given my work situation for 2014.

I worked for a consulting company living and working full time in NYC but had to fly to Minneapolis every week for about 4 months. I received one W2 from this company and it has Minnesota wages split out for items 15 & 16 for the time I was working there. In Turbotax, there's a section in personal for making money in other states (which prompts to download another state in addition to NY), but there's also an area for this on the NY state return. Which specific areas of the return do I need to specify this type of income? Do I definitely need to buy the MN additional state for this type of scenario?

Yes - you will have to file a Non-Resident return for Minnesota, assuming the income is greater than the filing minimum; you will get a credit for taxes paid to MN on your NY return.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

ThirdPartyView posted:

Yes - you will have to file a Non-Resident return for Minnesota, assuming the income is greater than the filing minimum; you will get a credit for taxes paid to MN on your NY return.

Should the credit I receive be equivalent or near what I originally owed on NY state return?

ie. before downloading MN state, owed NY $1800
after downloading MN state, get MN return of $58 and now owe $1100
(about 1/7 of my wages were earned in MN)

Was hoping that I wouldn't owe NY state anything afterwards :(

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
I could use some help figuring out which type of residency returns to file. Here's my situation:

01-01-14 to 07-08-14: Lived and worked in the District of Columbia.
07-09-14 to 12-31-14: Lived in New York State (not city) as a student.

I had W2 wages in DC from a DC company. Taxes were withheld by DC. I also had interest income from savings accounts, and capital gains from sale of stocks/mutual funds while residing in the District of Columbia. Neither had taxes withheld.

I had no W2 wages from New York, nor received any income from my DC employer while residing in New York. I did have interest income from savings accounts while residing in New York. I have also received tax forms related to graduate school while residing in New York.

As I understand it, I should be filing as a part-year resident in both states?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Big Whoop posted:

Another question that's always good to ask is "Am I really a contractor" http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-Self-Employed-or-Employee

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

So here's a question that I can't find a straight answer to.

My dad took out PLUS loans for me.

He died in October, I called Great Lakes and they said the debt was cancelled.

My mother is trying to file her taxes and HR Block says that she owes several thousand in COD income. However our tax preparer wasn't sure and is double checking everything for us.

What can anyone tell me about this, I've found a lot of articles about COD for student loans and some say it is taxable and some say that if the parent borrower dies it isn't taxable. Can anyone give me a straight answer?

Worst case scenario is we use leftover life insurance to pay it off but honestly my moms been through enough and doesn't deserve this.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation#im-a-parent

quote:

I’m a parent that took a PLUS loan to help pay for my child’s education. Can my loan ever be forgiven, canceled, or discharged?

You must repay your parent PLUS loan even if the student doesn’t complete his or her education or can’t find a job related to the program of study, or if you or the student is unhappy with the education. However, the loan may be discharged if the child for whom you borrowed dies, or if you die or become totally and permanently disabled.

We may discharge some or all of your loan in any of these circumstances:

The school closed before the student completed the program.
The school forged the signature on your promissory note or falsely certified that you were eligible for aid.
The loan was falsely certified through identity theft.
The student withdrew from school but the school didn’t pay a refund that it owed. Check with the school to see how refund policies apply to federal aid at the school.
The loan was discharged in bankruptcy claim. This is not an automatic process—you must prove to the bankruptcy court that repaying the loan would cause undue hardship.

Ok, so your servicer discharged the loan - which means...

http://www.finaid.org/loans/forgivenesstaxability.phtml

quote:

Taxability of Student Loan Forgiveness

Some loan forgiveness programs are taxable and some are not. Under current law, the amount forgiven generally represents taxable income for income tax purposes in the year it is written off. There are, however, a few exceptions. Generally, student loan forgiveness is excluded from income if the forgiveness is contingent upon the student working for a specific number of years in certain professions.

Public service loan forgiveness, teacher loan forgiveness, law school loan repayment assistance programs and the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program are not taxable. Loan discharges for closed schools, false certification, unpaid refunds, and death and disability are considered taxable income. The forgiveness of the remaining balance under income-contingent repayment and income-based repayment after 25 years in repayment is considered taxable income.

You're on the hook for taxes on the amount discharged

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing a renovation and resale of a house that I bought last year and spent most of the expenses on last year. Can I deduct all the expenses on the taxes for 2015 when I (hopefully) sell it and just report the net income or do I have to report the improvements as a business expense in 2014 and just carry forward the loss and use it against the short term capital gains in 2015?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I just opened a Roth IRA and made a 2014 contribution. Do I need to wait for any forms related to this before filling, or can I go ahead and file now? I'm assuming now would be OK since the Roth shouldn't have any affect on how much I owe, but I want to make sure.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Splinter posted:

I just opened a Roth IRA and made a 2014 contribution. Do I need to wait for any forms related to this before filling, or can I go ahead and file now? I'm assuming now would be OK since the Roth shouldn't have any affect on how much I owe, but I want to make sure.
No forms for Roth's, you're good to go.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Simple answer, I hope. I just got a letter saying, basically, that my employer hosed up on our W2s and that new ones will be mailed to us. I've already filed and received my refund. What do I need to do? I filed through Taxact, and it was about as simple of a filing as you can get.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Capsaicin posted:

Simple answer, I hope. I just got a letter saying, basically, that my employer hosed up on our W2s and that new ones will be mailed to us. I've already filed and received my refund. What do I need to do? I filed through Taxact, and it was about as simple of a filing as you can get.
It's possible your W2 didn't get messed up and it's just easier to re issue all of them. Wait till you get the new W2, compare everything, and amend your return if needed. You'll have to paper file a 1040X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007
OH MY GOD. I don't know about the rest of you preparers, but this year sucks rear end.