Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BSam posted:

I enjoyed dark eyes 4 (especially the first episode, even those it was basically an outsiders look at Edge of Tomorrow/All You Need Is Kill & Groundhog Day

but now I'm excited for this.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-third-doctor-adventures---cover-revealed

I just hope the bloke they got in for Pertwee does a decent job.

BF is high on him (Treloar did the 3rd Doctor bits for Light at the End), but I just wasn't hearing it. I think Katy Manning actually does a far better job. Her voice may be higher, but she nails Pertwee's mannerisms and tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

BF is high on him (Treloar did the 3rd Doctor bits for Light at the End), but I just wasn't hearing it. I think Katy Manning actually does a far better job. Her voice may be higher, but she nails Pertwee's mannerisms and tone.

I don't remember much of the early doctors from light at the end. But if they're giving him a box set hopefully he's refined it a bit. I'm willing to trust BF at least until I hear it.

Edit: another option for doctor 3

BSam fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 5, 2015

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I still can't get over how almost but not quite entirely unlike Patrick Troughton that guy looks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I still can't get over how almost but not quite entirely unlike Patrick Troughton that guy looks.

He's just not AGED enough.

Troughton looked lived and weathered, many lines that happened to make up a face with a silly haircut.

It's really hard to find actors like that nowadays.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Treloar comes and goes. There's a few lines in LatE that are pretty uncanny, and some that I wasn't sure if a new character had entered the TARDIS.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Shame they couldn't get Sean Pertwee to do it, but I think he's said he wouldn't like to, out of respect for his father, or something along those lines.
Spitting image too;

Wonder if they've asked David Troughton to do the 2nd Doctor?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pesky Splinter posted:

Shame they couldn't get Sean Pertwee to do it, but I think he's said he wouldn't like to, out of respect for his father, or something along those lines.
Spitting image too

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Isn't looks kinda useless thing for an Audio-drama? :v:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
As someone who's not going to listen to Dark Eyes anytime soon, can someone recap or synopsis 3 and 4?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

adhuin posted:

I'm sure I've heard somewhere that Sean can do a dead on impression of Jon, though I've never actually heard it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

adhuin posted:

Ah yeah, sorry, crossed wires about Adventure in Space and Time, and LATE. :v:

Well, must have been a load of bull I heard then.
Oh well, here's this picture to make up for it;

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

Spitting image too;

Nah, not rubbery enough for Spitting Image.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Wonder if they've asked David Troughton to do the 2nd Doctor?

He played a clone of the Second Doctor in the BBC Audio series "Serpents Crest" starring Tom.

He may be Pat's son, but Frazier Hines still does a far better job.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Frazer Hines' troughton impression is god-drat uncanny

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, I'm extremely happy with Frazier's job and would be happy for him to play 2 for many years to come. I only hope BF wises up and never ever does an audio with Jamie and another companion again where the other has the "lead" narration and reads Troughton's part.

Same for Peter Purves and his Hartnell. I'd love for David Bradley to do 1 but Peter is no slouch and he should do more.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

Yeah, I'm extremely happy with Frazier's job and would be happy for him to play 2 for many years to come. I only hope BF wises up and never ever does an audio with Jamie and another companion again where the other has the "lead" narration and reads Troughton's part.

Same for Peter Purves and his Hartnell. I'd love for David Bradley to do 1 but Peter is no slouch and he should do more.

Well, Purves did two last year for the Early Adventures line. And even BF knows what gold they have with Frazier. When they did the Lost Story "Lords of the Red Planet", Frazier assumed he wasn't going to play the Doctor since Michael Troughton was guest starring. Michael had to tell him "No, you're playing Dad."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've only heard one of his so far, but yeah, he is good both at playing a young Jaime and at playing the Second Doctor. I mostly prefer for them to do the enhanced book format with the dead actors (which is what they do, mostly), and I wouldn't want, say, a Second Doctor set on the main range, but hearing Hines read is always impressive. I'm also shocked at how well many of them make you think back to Hartnell, including the women reading his stories.

I do wish the Companion Chronicles didn't involve so many horribly depressing frame stories, though. It almost seems like it's a rule they gave the writers or something, it's just bizarre.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Pesky Splinter posted:

Well, must have been a load of bull I heard then.
That was his Halloween costume I think.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I'm bored so I'm watching Torchwood on Netflix. Wish me luck.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Gordon Shumway posted:

You poor fool...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gordon Shumway posted:

Children of Earth is actually good except I never like the "protagonist cops are on the run from law enforcement" trope.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm sure this isn't news to anyone other than me, but there was confirmation of what I'm sure everybody already suspected about Jenna Coleman fully intending to leave the show at the end of series 8, and eventually changing her mind.

They don't seem to confirm the FACT that the reason she decided to stick around is because Peter Capaldi is ACTUALLY the Doctor, which is just poor journalism if you ask me.

Gordon Shumway posted:

I'm watching Torchwood

I found your problem!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gordon Shumway posted:

I give him until Cyberwoman until he taps out. Any takers?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm betting he drops after Date Rape Drug

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I finished Dark Eyes 1! It was pretty good. Ending felt a bit.. eh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ianto makes the best (for a certain value of "best", of course) crying faces in that episode.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Just listened to half of flip-flop and goddamn mel stop talking how are you this stupid

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Little_wh0re posted:

Just listened to half of flip-flop and goddamn mel stop talking how are you this stupid

Get used to it. Most of the audio, aside from the racism, is Mel asking the Doctor to explain really obvious time loops.

EDIT - At least she has the excuse that she left Earth before Back to the Future II came out and everyone got familiar with this stuff.

After The War fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 6, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ianto makes the best (for a certain value of "best", of course) crying faces in that episode.

Then threatens to kill Jack, swears he'll never forget this and then two episodes later is sleeping with him. Series one really is pretty bad on so many levels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure this isn't news to anyone other than me, but there was confirmation of what I'm sure everybody already suspected about Jenna Coleman fully intending to leave the show at the end of series 8, and eventually changing her mind.

Picking out something from the end of that article:

quote:

Elsewhere in Doctor Who Magazine's huge ten-page interview with the showrunner, Moffat reflects in-depth on the triumphs and challenges of series 8, reveals what's next for the Doctor in series 9 and laments on the toll that fame as TV's most well-known and discussed writer can take on him.

Is that true? I mean, how is it measured? I assume they're speaking in the context of the UK, so in terms of his profile, how does he measure up to current showrunners in, say, America?

In any case, I might stop round the supermarket after work and try to get that issue, because I enjoy big long interviews like that (and I'm fairly sure I haven't gotten a copy of DWM since season two!).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just finished Assassins in the Limelight, which was a typically fun jaunt with the Doctor and Evelyn, and I recommend it. It has a continuation of some story elements from Pier Pressure and Medicinal Purposes, but not so much that you really need to listen to either of them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that true? I mean, how is it measured? I assume they're speaking in the context of the UK, so in terms of his profile, how does he measure up to current showrunners in, say, America?

Well most showrunners in the US aren't giving interviews to magazines dedicated to their show. Beyond that, I dunno. David Simon might be more high profile because he tends to comment on real world stuff, but it's not like Matthew Weiner or Vince Gilligan are huge celebrities.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Wheat Loaf posted:

Both himself and RTD are household names in the UK and their celebrity/brand is more like that of an author than your typical show runner. Programs are sold and advertised as being by them, rather than on the name recognition of past works.

In the UK I can't think of a single two writers who are more well known. So, yes, I'd say it's true.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. Come to think of it, the closest Trans-Atlantic comparisons that occur to me at the moment are probably Abrams and Whedon, though they've both since moved on to focus on movies.

Edit: Actually, I've seen a few comparisons between those two and RTD and Moffat (I reckon I've made some such comparisons in the past myself, perhaps a little unthinkingly). Like, I know RTD himself cited Whedon as an influence on the revival in 2005, but I don't think Whedon got the same degree of mainstream cachet until he did Avengers, whereas RTD indubitably earned it with Queer as Folk (and maybe The Second Coming to a degree).

Abrams might have had that kind of prestige for his involvement in Alias and Lost, but I'm not sure.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 6, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I guess we can put it this way. I could pick both RTD or Steven Moffat out of a crowd. They join Joss Whedon, J. Michael Straczynski, and Gene Roddenberry as the only showrunner types that is true for me. And since Gene's dead, that puts them in pretty exclusive company. I'm inclined to think that the combination of their high profile projects and their willingness, even eagerness, to get in front of cameras and thus making themselves public figures in a way that most showrunners don't is what puts them in the club.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That's kind of the list for me, although, to be fair, Joss Whedon's forehead moon makes him pretty easy to identify. :v:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

OMG! I just finished A Thousand Tiny Wings and it has a Literal Nazi companion for the 7th Doctor!
Can't wait to listen where it goes from there. :haw:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Aaron Sorkin?

(for well known showrunner, not Nazi companion)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Aaron Sorkin?

I don't think I would recognize his face, though. His dialogue, sure. The women running in the opposite direction from him, definitely. But I couldn't conjure an image of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

CobiWann posted:

Aaron Sorkin?

I can't recall what he looks like.

I mean, I've just now googled him and seen his picture, but he still doesn't pass the "if I saw him at the store, I'd recognize him" test for me. Sorkin doesn't get up in front of cameras and make a public figure of himself the way the others do. For better or worse, Sorkin, to the best of my knowledge, tends to let his work talk for him.

• Locked thread