Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Esroc posted:

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a customer who was droning on and on about wanting to become a tattoo artist while I was tattooing him. Which ended with:

Me: "Can you draw?"
Him: "Well, no..."
Me: "Please don't."

A dick move on my part, sure. But it truly boggles my mind that there are so many people who get into a career based almost entirely around drawing yet can't draw.

Why on earth would he possibly want to be a tattoo ARTIST? I mean the clue is in the name.

i can understand people who can't draw, but think they can, wanting to immortalise their "art" on other people in ink, but if you know you can't draw, what possible hope do you have to be competent in a profession which is, (to grossly simplify it), drawing under other peoples skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why on earth would he possibly want to be a tattoo ARTIST? I mean the clue is in the name.

i can understand people who can't draw, but think they can, wanting to immortalise their "art" on other people in ink, but if you know you can't draw, what possible hope do you have to be competent in a profession which is, (to grossly simplify it), drawing under other peoples skin.
Ego. Same reason people buy Hayabusas as their first bike. Because telling people "I'm a tattoo artist" makes you seem cool. They are not looking to make a career out of it, just to impress some trashy broad at a party, that's all.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I remember a few years ago I "re-connected" via FB with a girl I'd known and been friendly with for a while in high school. I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was becoming a tattoo artist. Being in the art field myself, I was all "oh cool, do you have your work online?". She sent me links to these photos of mostly indistinguishable, toddler-level pencil and biro scribbles on crumpled lined paper and explained a "guy down the road" was selling her a kit. It was a very :smith: moment.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I assume it's the same no matter what field you're in. I work in IT and constantly have to work with other IT "professionals" that know less about computers in general than my mom.

My girlfriend just got a really bad tattoo from her best friend who just finished his apprenticeship at a local shop. Will be posting as soon as I can sneak a pic (she's aware of this thread so I have to be careful) :p

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
maybe don't then

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ICHIBAHN posted:

maybe don't then

Counterpoint: Do

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Nitrox posted:

Ego. Same reason people buy Hayabusas as their first bike. Because telling people "I'm a tattoo artist" makes you seem cool. They are not looking to make a career out of it, just to impress some trashy broad at a party, that's all.

It's really funny that people want to be tattoo artists to be cool to me. All of the best tattooists I know are giant nerds, like "we play MTG at work" level nerds.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

ToastFaceKillah posted:

It's really funny that people want to be tattoo artists to be cool to me. All of the best tattooists I know are giant nerds, like "we play MTG at work" level nerds.

Yeah, the guy who did my first tattoo didn't even flinch when I brought in a video game manual to show him what I wanted. Only questions out of him were "how big you want it?", "you OK to come back in about an hour so I can get this traced right?", and when I came back, "I looked through the manual and it looked pretty cool. I like RPGs. So, that game any good?"

I think the only guy at the shop I used to get my ink done at that gave me any grief was the guy who did my VFD tattoo from A Series of Unfortunate Events ("like, the movie with Jim Carrey?" - I got one of the versions from the books, not the movie). On the other hand, when I told him about my first piece and how it was from a video game, he practically asked the same thing as the guy who did it - "Oh, yeah, I like Final Fantasy and stuff. Is it like that?"

Well, it is from an Ivalice Alliance game. I'm planning on using that piece to get a themed thing going, probably mostly down the left side of my back, and my left leg and arm. Speaking of which, I don't think it'd be a problem, but I want to double-check: is it cool if I take some of the other stuff from the Ivalice Alliance games with me as references, not like "I want you to do these exact pieces" but as a general "I want something in this aesthetic" manner? Not being an artist at all myself, I just want to make sure I don't wind up being "that control-freak jerk with the printouts" or something.

EDIT: Not sure if I should move this post to the other tattoo thread - I forgot which thread I was in. Darn you, TFK. Darn you to heck.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Mar 5, 2015

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Yeah, the guy who did my first tattoo didn't even flinch when I brought in a video game manual to show him what I wanted. Only questions out of him were "how big you want it?", "you OK to come back in about an hour so I can get this traced right?", and when I came back, "I looked through the manual and it looked pretty cool. I like RPGs. So, that game any good?"

I think the only guy at the shop I used to get my ink done at that gave me any grief was the guy who did my VFD tattoo from A Series of Unfortunate Events ("like, the movie with Jim Carrey?" - I got one of the versions from the books, not the movie). On the other hand, when I told him about my first piece and how it was from a video game, he practically asked the same thing as the guy who did it - "Oh, yeah, I like Final Fantasy and stuff. Is it like that?"

Well, it is from an Ivalice Alliance game. I'm planning on using that piece to get a themed thing going, probably mostly down the left side of my back, and my left leg and arm. Speaking of which, I don't think it'd be a problem, but I want to double-check: is it cool if I take some of the other stuff from the Ivalice Alliance games with me as references, not like "I want you to do these exact pieces" but as a general "I want something in this aesthetic" manner? Not being an artist at all myself, I just want to make sure I don't wind up being "that control-freak jerk with the printouts" or something.

EDIT: Not sure if I should move this post to the other tattoo thread - I forgot which thread I was in. Darn you, TFK. Darn you to heck.

Nerd.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

u fockin wot m8
u wanna say that to my white-red token spam deck

(Side note: my fiancee thinks you're like the loving coolest thing ever, and she's a nerd-in-denial)

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

in the jungle

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

u fockin wot m8
u wanna say that to my white-red token spam deck

(Side note: my fiancee thinks you're like the loving coolest thing ever, and she's a nerd-in-denial)

Tell her I go to musicals and play pokemon and DASH HER DREAMS.

As to lovely tattoos though, this mushroom is ripped off from a tattoo I did on a goon. It's so....bad.

Edit: HAHAHA I didn't even notice the dude ripped off a caterpillar I drew right over it, it's almost unrecognizable.

ToastFaceKillah has a new favorite as of 16:28 on Mar 5, 2015

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

ToastFaceKillah posted:

She's on PIFB, so...

EDIT: This is a silly derail and I am sorry I caused it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Say Nothing posted:

Why would anyone tattoo a ham?

This didn't get mocked enough for content. "Republic of Gamers" is ASUS's “high end” gaming computer line. Great for those who want a $2k laptop to play on because they want a 10 pound desktop they can't upgrade.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging_Mikon posted:

This didn't get mocked enough for content. "Republic of Gamers" is ASUS's “high end” gaming computer line. Great for those who want a $2k laptop to play on because they want a 10 pound desktop they can't upgrade.

Laptop gaming owns.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PCOS Bill posted:

Laptop gaming owns.

It's a great way to experience the games that everyone else played 4 years ago.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

It's a great way to experience the games that everyone else played 4 years ago.

I can play any game on the market on mine, but keep on chugging out that tired old line.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
MSI just put out the Titan which is designed around swappable parts and easy access to them, instead of everything being soldered to the mobo. Its expensive as hell, but supposedly entirely upgradeable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

e: whoops, thread mismatch, sorry for derail contribution.

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Mar 5, 2015

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hey guys, I was thinking about getting a new gaming laptop and wanted your advice on the difference betwe...

The gently caress? Where am I? Here's a bad tattoo:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

ToastFaceKillah posted:

As to lovely tattoos though, this mushroom is ripped off from a tattoo I did on a goon. It's so....bad.

Edit: HAHAHA I didn't even notice the dude ripped off a caterpillar I drew right over it, it's almost unrecognizable.

I feel this needs to be compared to the original one that you did so people appreciate just how lovely the copy is.

https://instagram.com/p/wClS4XuZPs/?modal=true

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Lisa Frank tattoos now?

E: holy poo poo TFK yours is amazing. It must be a small victory knowing even if people try to copy your stuff it's almost unrecognizable as a copy because the quality will never be close.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Horrible cover-up of horrible spelling.

How the hell do you spell 'could' wrong.
Morans!

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Also tomorrow.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The artist nailed "he" and "die", though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Say Nothing posted:

Horrible cover-up of horrible spelling.

How the hell do you spell 'could' wrong.
Morans!

We will could die today tomorrow.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I initially saw the Republic of Gamers tat as someone's obese, fleshy forearm, but Chakan is right, it's an upper arm. Since I have a time on my hands and am also a loser/great artist, I MS painted it.

Still looks like a whale arm on its own.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Saw this on craigslist:

I figured it was a scratcher, but it's apparently an actual shop.
https://www.theplatinumkoi.com

Ya gotta be real fast to take a screenshot because they don't let you pause on any of their pictures.

This one is from the craigslist ad itself:
:nws: for boob.
http://i.imgur.com/PYJ0fX.png

Bored has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Mar 6, 2015

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"

Here's a tattoo a friend of mine got the other day. He also has a worse tattoo that looks like he went to a scratcher despite going to an actual tattoo studio, but I don't have a picture of it on my phone.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Here's a tattoo a friend of mine got the other day. He also has a worse tattoo that looks like he went to a scratcher despite going to an actual tattoo studio, but I don't have a picture of it on my phone.

Ah yes, a 14 year old character with her tits stuck out, this is what I want on my body forever.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Tattoo of a classic West Virginia girl: She's only got one tooth, it looks like.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Tattoo of a classic West Virginia girl: She's only got one tooth, it looks like.

Actually, her adult teeth haven't all come in yet. :smith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"careful pa you'll crush ma pokeball"

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

She's also getting undressed.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Haruharuharuko posted:

Woman holding a... bassoon?

I looked at this for a long time, and after I stopped seeing the lower half of a bassoon, which is what it looks the most like, I couldn't decide whether it was meant to be an unstrung Irish harp or a horrendously drawn bow (archery bow, I mean). Still can't figure it.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

And scoliosis, and one leg longer than the other (so she can go around the mountain better, but only one way).

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

ToastFaceKillah posted:

I once got a tattoo from a lady who was gonzo for the movie StepBrothers. I think she played it at least twice while she was turning my poor leg into hamburger.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Yeah, the guy who did my first tattoo didn't even flinch when I brought in a video game manual to show him what I wanted.

I got a tattoo from a guy who had shelves full of expensive, leather-bound Deadlands collections and rule books. I wouldn't even have known what they were, except a friend who went with me was into the series. I didn't feel like I had the moral high ground to give him any poo poo, though, since the tattoo I was having him put on me was of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

jess
May 26, 2005

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle ShortyB posted:

Smuggling pokeballs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

This Synthol craze is getting out of hand.

• Locked thread