Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Sirbloody posted:

I have been monitoring Crucible of the Spirit Dragon since the spoilers and I have noticed a very steady increase in demand and a slight increase in price. Am I missing something that makes this card more desirable besides all the dragons in Dragons of Takir? I am somewhat a new player again (Just started again after a 10+ year break) but the only real use I can see for this card is to keep storing mana when you have nothing to cast while waiting for a dragon?

It's certainly not a good card, but I'm starting to see its appeal. With Atarka's Command, stuff like Font of Fertility, and Crucible, there is currently a good suite of non-creature ramp cards in Standard along with a wide range of strong dragons that have decent synergy with each other.

There's always the EDH effect - Scion of the Ur-Dragon is a fairly popular deck getting lots of nice new toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lancelot posted:

:siren: stop replying to mcmagic posts :siren:

don't be a bitch dude

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sirbloody posted:

I have been monitoring Crucible of the Spirit Dragon since the spoilers and I have noticed a very steady increase in demand and a slight increase in price. Am I missing something that makes this card more desirable besides all the dragons in Dragons of Takir? I am somewhat a new player again (Just started again after a 10+ year break) but the only real use I can see for this card is to keep storing mana when you have nothing to cast while waiting for a dragon?

Where are you looking? You can buy them online from multiple places for 15-30 cents apiece. That's at or below the normal rate for bulk rares.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sirbloody posted:

Nah. people are just realizing that the first and second spirit dragon lands are probably going to be part of some silly combo with the third land in DTK. Tomb was uncommon so people who seriously opened KTK have 200 of them by now, but crucible is a rare and they're buying it in anticipation of it selling for a profit.

EDIT: VV Even as a 6 drop she's pretty real. The only thing killing a 5/7 is "destroy target creature" and her third ability is more or less Narset's emblem... In the colors that ramp and want to play this stuff.

Siege Rhino> Dromoka- > Dromoka + as asking for a wrath or a concession.

What is the consensus on Zhurgo Bellringer? 1 mana 2/2 that can't block things that would beat it, or Valley Dasher??

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 5, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I love this. I just wish it was like a 5-mana 5/5 or something instead of a 6-drop.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Entropic posted:

Where are you looking? You can buy them online from multiple places for 15-30 cents apiece. That's at or below the normal rate for bulk rares.

I sometimes send cards on Pucatrade and that's when I started to notice a lot of people asking for a ton of them (I think the price increased by 5 points in the last few days).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Zurgo got skinny and decided to join team Sligh

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

drat, monoR picking up some good bits this set

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Its funny that I was right and this timeline's Zurgo is a big fuckin' wuss

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Love the design on Zurgo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sadly the kind of deck that wants this kind of creature wants to run 4, which makes the Legendary drawback hurt. I can see him replacing a few Firedrinker Satyrs in the boss sligh red deck though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I like it, even if it isn't gonna be played in constructed.

Entropic posted:

I love this. I just wish it was like a 5-mana 5/5 or something instead of a 6-drop.

yeah that would have been cool.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this really puts into perspective how strong isamaru is relative to other dogs.

Okay the real question is why does bell striking in DTK not tap people down now?

Entropic posted:

Sadly the kind of deck that wants this kind of creature wants to run 4, which makes the Legendary drawback hurt. I can see him replacing a few Firedrinker Satyrs in the boss sligh red deck though.

Zoo was playing 3-4x isamaru (in 2006), I don't think legendary is going to be that big of a problem here.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 5, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This has to be one of the strongest 1 drops red has ever had

This seems like it's going to eat a Downfall and not accomplish much a huge amount of the time.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

I'm probably going to take out my Firedrinkers and replace them with 2x Zurgo and 2x Lightning Berserker, as I don't really want 4x of either.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

TheKingofSprings posted:

Its worse than Goblin Guide but I cant think of much else that trumps it (in modern)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Even if it was a 5/5 for 5 it's still not better than the Dramoka from FRF. Lots of big dummys in this set.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zoness posted:

Okay the real question is why does bell striking in DTK not tap people down now?

Zurgo doesn't know how to sing, I'm guessing.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This seems like it's going to eat a Downfall and not accomplish much a huge amount of the time.

Probably, but forcing them to tap the mana on their own turn counts for something, I think.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

Even if it was a 5/5 for 5 it's still not better than the Dramoka from FRF. Lots of big dummys in this set.

Yup. Get out your Hero's Downfalls, it's gonna be raining dragons.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Starving Autist posted:

Zurgo doesn't know how to sing, I'm guessing.

Also the bell being struck in Singing Bell Strike is the base of the creature's loving skull.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It accomplishes the opponent being happy their opponent tapped out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Yup. Get out your Hero's Downfalls, it's gonna be raining dragons.

None of them are going to be played in standard other than maybe the 4/4 red one.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

More to the point, new Zurgo is sweet in Mardu heroes. Even if you're dropping it T3 for a hero's blade equip, that's a 5/4, so it's rarely a dead draw unless you have 1 in play already.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

See now this is good (because its hard to evaluate and that is often very good)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Zurgo getting in touch with his orc heritage

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

Its worse than Goblin Guide but I cant think of much else that trumps it (in modern)

Swiftspear is still great.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

See now this is good.

Is this really necessary

(In a Jesus Christ way)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Is this really necessary

I love cards like this because they're so hard to evaluate.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

See now this is good.

That feels so much more mythic than the random zombie lord. Protects itself, gains life, and shuts down blockers. Probably would be good in Block if that still existed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

See now this is good (because its hard to evaluate and that is often very good)

Wow this does alot of stuff.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

If you showed that card to someone in 93' their head would loving explode.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god they even flicker themselves when you end hostilities.

... and then still die :negative:

drat it why can't I get aetherling.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

They would return before it resolved and die

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

They would return before it resolved and die

shut up i edited that, i was really hoping okay

I need my goddamn aetherling fix

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

Yeah, that doesn't work.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Someone at Wizards has a huge loving hard-on for running a Kung-Fu Monks deck full of Mythics.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zoness posted:

This is what spoiler season is for: reading all the cards really quickly and excitedly and getting the wrong assumptions out of the way now, so we're not doing it during the pre-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Someone at Wizards has a huge loving hard-on for running a Kung-Fu Monks deck full of Mythics.

My hope for the next year of standard is that there's an actually competive deck for which I'll be able to write "(Everybody Was) Kung Fu Fighting" as the deck name on a GPT deck registration sheet.

• Locked thread