Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

I would pick up Autothrusters for sure and drop FCS for Advanced Sensors, then upgrade one of the Thugs

I had Advanced Sensors on originally, but it feels like kind of a waste with so many greens, and FCS turns the pseudo-Gunner second shot into absolute murder. Don't know why I forgot Autothrusters, though. :v:

e; vv

Strobe posted:

Advanced Sensors lets you take actions on turns you perform K-turns and S-loops. It's invaluable.

The point is I don't really see myself K-turning or S-looping that much since you have 1-2-3 straights/banks as green and turns as white.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I had Advanced Sensors on originally, but it feels like kind of a waste with so many greens, and FCS turns the pseudo-Gunner second shot into absolute murder. Don't know why I forgot Autothrusters, though. :v:

Advanced Sensors lets you take actions on turns you perform K-turns and S-loops. It's invaluable.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Strobe posted:

This, I ran a B and D last night and being able to boost, evade and then s-loop was really really strong.

I really really want to run proximity mines on my aggressors, but I know it is just being greedy. I just love using Advanced Sensors to dump that template and then fly away.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 5, 2015

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

On the aggressor you have to k or s turn. Its a large ship without a turret and no back arc.

Thats why advanced sensors are so baller on it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

On the aggressor you have to k or s turn. Its a large ship without a turret and no back arc.

Thats why advanced sensors are so baller on it.

Yeah, this. Even a 1 forward moves large ships a lot, and if you bump you get no action at all.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The point is I don't really see myself K-turning or S-looping that much since you have 1-2-3 straights/banks as green and turns as white.

Remember too that you don't have a 4 or 5 straight to shoot past enemy ships either. You're basically going to be forced to s/k-turn quite a bit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Alright, fair point. I'll drop the FCS for Advanced Sensors and get one Y to PS4, then keep the remaining points for initiative.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Little bit of sleet and ice means I have the day off work so I painted my Headhunters in Binayre pirate colors. I think they'll look nice flanking Kath Scarlett.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Looks good :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Did you do anything to strip them, or just paint straight on top of the factory coat?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Did you do anything to strip them, or just paint straight on top of the factory coat?

If you airbrush or use a rattle can sparingly, a primer coat over the factory paint job is fine, no stripping required.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I really want to make my crappy prototype A-Wing into a green squadron one, what would be the best result? Put masking tape and paint directly on the factory paint job?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I really want to make my crappy prototype A-Wing into a green squadron one, what would be the best result? Put masking tape and paint directly on the factory paint job?

What is your painting level? What painting stuff do you already own?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can drybrush :v:

My painting level is pretty low to be honest, I do have a basecoat spray can, brushes and paints.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I can drybrush :v:

My painting level is pretty low to be honest, I do have a basecoat spray can, brushes and paints.

Mask, spray using light coats until it is dark enough for you.

Do you have acrylic washes or are you up for oil paint washing?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Mask, spray using light coats until it is dark enough for you.

Do you have acrylic washes or are you up for oil paint washing?
I have acrylic washes (I think, they are just the standard hobby stores shades, right?). So the idea would be to:

1. Mask everything I don't want to change colour of.
2. Spray paint using the colour I want (I only have white basecoat spray atm)
3. Shade using washes?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Yeah I just painted straight on to the factory coat with no problem and put a matte coat down on top of that. I have heard that these things are pretty hard to actually strip.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I have acrylic washes (I think, they are just the standard hobby stores shades, right?). So the idea would be to:

1. Mask everything I don't want to change colour of.
2. Spray paint using the colour I want (I only have white basecoat spray atm)
3. Shade using washes?

Yup.

If you don't have a spray green, you can brush on the paint you do have, but it will be many many coats and brushed paint has a better chance of creeping under your tape.

If you can use a friends airbrush set up, it will take you a few minutes to finish the painting. Or just buy a can of the green you do like.

The only additions you may add:

4. Touch up your paint job (if the wash makes the panels too muddy).
5. Seal with matte sealer.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Tough to strip is right, I left a Lambda and a Firespray in Simple Green for three days and scrubbed with a toothbrush. Didn't remove anything but a bit of the wash.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Chance II posted:

Little bit of sleet and ice means I have the day off work so I painted my Headhunters in Binayre pirate colors. I think they'll look nice flanking Kath Scarlett.

Nice. Makes me want to paint X-Wing again

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Nice. Makes me want to paint X-Wing again

Thanks! Painting headhunters today has been the most fun painting I've had in years. Here's the last one until I find something for my Ys. I'm a little reluctant to mess with them since the are really nice looking right from the box. Maybe I'll just repaint the panels grey to match the Zs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Chance II posted:

Thanks! Painting headhunters today has been the most fun painting I've had in years. Here's the last one until I find something for my Ys. I'm a little reluctant to mess with them since the are really nice looking right from the box. Maybe I'll just repaint the panels grey to match the Zs.

Goddamn, these are amazing. One question though, what's your process for weathering? I'm about to start a full-size rebel pilot helmet build and the entire painting and weathering process is not something I'm looking forward to.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Man weathering is my weak point. It only works because they are so small but I've just been doing a light drybrush over a sepia wash and broken up edge highlighting with an off white on the fuselage. The painting mega thread has all the real weather masters.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Real nice work. That N'dru repaint really inspires me to give that a scheme a crack once my MW pack shows up.

Hopefully it wont end up looking like this one.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 5, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chance II posted:

That is a baller N'Dru

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

AndyElusive posted:

Real nice work. That N'dru repaint really inspires me to give that a scheme a crack once my MW pack shows up.

Hopefully it wont end up looking like this one.

As long as you don't paint with lipstick I think you'll be fine.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chance II posted:

This is really awesome.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I was able to look at the Aggressor's dial and understand that it was very good, but man, nothing tells you how good like flying a pair of them. It's sick.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Welp, I went and done it, prototype is getting repainted as we speak :suicide:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Welp, I went and done it, prototype is getting repainted as we speak :suicide:

All errors can be fixed. The fix may be a real pain in the rear end, but nothing is unrecoverable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh cool. Now I'm not the only one posting paint jobs here.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh cool. Now I'm not the only one posting paint jobs here.

I have a Lambda to post after I oil wash and seal it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm gonna paint a sexy rancor or sexy Gamorrean guard on my fire spray. I'll finally have time since its spring break

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've just gotten dettol and successfully used it to strip other minis so I might give repainting my Firespray a shot.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've just gotten dettol and successfully used it to strip other minis so I might give repainting my Firespray a shot.

I wouldn't bother. The factory paint jobs are so thin you can just go over them. Many painters have started stripping ships, but quickly gave up and just primed over the original paint.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

someone paint this but with goku

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I need to get a better pic of it but I'm pretty happy with the result:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Or another, slightly blurry, picture:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Looks good to me.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

My better than my horrible paint jobs. All A-Wings must be green, so I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Looks good to me.
Thanks by the way: I really needed just a simple list of set steps to get enough courage to actually give it a go. I was just afraid of loving up and spoiling what is a perfectly good (but ugly) pre-made paintjob.

• Locked thread