Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

mcvey posted:

Then lower it again.

Hey mcvey, what sens do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Thank you for asking about my sens I appreciate it

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

dogstile posted:

Aye, I read it again, I meant with that particular gun. I don't think i'm going to remember every guns individual spray pattern in one night. I'll try to get a pistol and the AK/M4's pattern down and go from there. I also have to juggle map locations, etc. Right now i've had good runs with shotguns and getting the drop on guys, but from what I hear that wouldn't hold up at higher levels of play.

The two guns I've ever practiced spray control on are the AK and M4a1. Everything else I just "pull down a bit" and its got me to MGE. Only bothering with the ak/m4 will do you just fine.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 5, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

mcvey posted:

Then lower it again.

The best sensitivity is the highest you can cope with - the faster you can aim at the enemy the better :can:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Jeza posted:

The best sensitivity is the highest you can cope with - the faster you can aim at the enemy the better :can:

Everything this guy said is bullshit

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
If you don't need a second desk for your giant mouse pad your sens is too high :colbert:

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I actually use a double bed sheet for my mouse mat, its just about big enough for my 50dpi @ 0.3 sens

Edit: It makes the 360 no scopes all the more amazing when my mouse has to leave the room to travel far enough to 360.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

dogstile posted:

Also, the OP pretty much said to go straight to competitive, in my defence.

Except it doesn't

Necc0 posted:

• Deathmatch :madmax:
      Great for new players and veterans alike. Simply choose your weapons and go kill things until you don't feel like it anymore. This is a great mode for getting accustomed with new maps, learning how different guns operate, or warming up a bit before you jump into a competitive match.
  • Arms Race :jihad:
      A streamlined implementation of the classic arms race mod from previous games. You start with a weapon and advance a level every time you get a kill. The first player to get a kill with the golden knife (the last level) wins the round. This is also a very good game mode for beginners, as you'll quickly learn the faster and more basic gameplay mechanics here due to how rapidly you go from dying to jumping right back into the fray, while still being forced to think somewhat tactically by being forced to use certain weapons.

• Demolition :happyelf:
      A sort of hybrid between a condensed and streamlined version of classic counter-strike and a simplified arms race. Both teams have a ladder of weapons to advance up, while the game is still divided into rounds that are won by either eliminating the other team or detonating/defusing the bomb. Good for intermediate players who want to get more accustomed to the larger game mechanics but not wanting to dive into a full competitive game just yet.
  • Casual :baby:
      A good mode for beginner and intermediate players who are interested in getting into competitive play but don't want to be yelled at for not knowing the finer details just yet. The teams are larger, allowing you to blend in and be terrible without being noticed. There's also less emphasis on economic planning as everyone is automatically given armor and a helmet while the CTs also get defuse kits.
  • Competitive
      This is what most people think of when they think counter-strike. CS:GO features a ranked matchmaking system allowing you to team up with your fellow goons and compete against a team of similar skill. While the ranking system allows players of all skill levels to enjoy this mode, you should try to only enter lobbies with players who are a similar rank to you. If you're a new player, entering a lobby with veterans will probably result in you playing against veterans, and you won't have a very good time, although you'll definitely learn quickly. Same goes if you're a veteran with a new player; you'll often find yourself having to pick up the slack or losing rounds despite doing well yourself.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

mcvey posted:

Everything this guy said is bullshit

I also find mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing helps me. I can turn around on a dime and keep my crosshair on a perfect level. It's perfect!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I meant this part man. Disagree if you like, its the impression I got :shrug: I did read the other parts, I figured i'd jump in as right after you said casual was good for beginner, you said this. I'm not trying to be hostile.

Necc0 posted:

I'm scared. I- I think I'll stick with casual[/u] :ohdear: : Competitive can seen really intimidating at first and honestly in all likelihood you'll be retrieved with a squeegee after your first match. However as you get used to the format you'll quickly find it's the only way to play. More tips for beginners are below.

The learn quickly part of competitive was the part that made me jump in, if you're wondering.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Jeza posted:

I also find mouse acceleration and mouse smoothing helps me. I can turn around on a dime and keep my crosshair on a perfect level. It's perfect!

Avert your eyes youngbloods

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
You were complaining about the hostility you received for jumping right into comp. OP says if you don't want to get yelled at you should try casual first. Play comp all you want but don't act surprised when people get really mad at you for not understanding the basics.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

dogstile posted:

This is fantastic. Thank you.

np, I actually did that, and that's my website.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Shut up about sensitivity, please. No one say another loving thing about it. Everyone is going to experiment and find out what works for them anyway.

You know what's fun, pushing squeeky on cache as a ct. Recently I played a game and the ts were pushing mid and being backed off and then gradually trying to make their way to a and going full speed out a long meant I could 2 kills before they knew what was up. When they tried to catch me on the third round of it, it was still really easy to camp that corridor and get out of it with a flash. New ground for me because I tend to be really passive on ct unless the only chance is to pistol someone in the head on eco

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
kcer is a genius

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I mentioned what happened, i'm not complaining dude. I'm expecting it. Mocking is normal for new players. The part that was driving me away was the gun mechanics as they're obscure. Try not to take it so personally, i'm not attacking you.

kcer posted:

I've just recommended it to everyone I know who joined up and started playing in my local group so you'll probably get a couple more hits. Its a really useful tool. I've got a couple guns down, i'll try and avoid the ones that pull left rather than right as that'll take some time to get used to.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Way to go kcer, three cheers for the big man!

dogstile posted:

i'll try and avoid the ones that pull left rather than right as that'll take some time to get used to.

Just learn how much to pull down before it starts going off course and stop there, what you're shooting at should be dead by the time you have to move the xhair left/right.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

kcer posted:

i'm a slime

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

dogstile posted:

I mentioned what happened, i'm not complaining dude. I'm expecting it. Mocking is normal for new players. The part that was driving me away was the gun mechanics as they're obscure. Try not to take it so personally, i'm not attacking you.

I've just recommended it to everyone I know who joined up and started playing in my local group so you'll probably get a couple more hits. Its a really useful tool. I've got a couple guns down, i'll try and avoid the ones that pull left rather than right as that'll take some time to get used to.

I would focus on the AK and the 2 M4s. Also, don't worry as much about when the spray goes left and right. If you didn't hit him while the spray is going straight up (first 5-7 shots), you probably need to stop spraying and adjust your aim.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What's the blue tracer snake thing for on the spraylab site? Is it showing you where you need to be with your mouse or is it mirroring your movement?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

eriddy posted:

What's the blue tracer snake thing for on the spraylab site? Is it showing you where you need to be with your mouse or is it mirroring your movement?

I followed it and my sprays stay roughly dead on. If you take a break and spray before recoil reset it seems to continue on from where it was like the video I looked at was showing, which is useful as hell and will probably help my timing out.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

dogstile posted:

Try not to take it so personally, i'm not attacking you.

Of course you aren't- we're attacking you. Because this topic comes up every five pages as another new player skims the op and asks the same question that's been asked so many times one of us literally dedicated a blog post to it. I'm guessing the sensitivity 'derail' flew right over your head as well.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Necc0 posted:

Of course you aren't- we're attacking you. Because this topic comes up every five pages as another new player skims the op and asks the same question that's been asked so many times one of us literally dedicated a blog post to it. I'm guessing the sensitivity 'derail' flew right over your head as well.

If I hadn't had asked, I wouldn't have been linked the the spraylab. Other things people have elaborated on, which have been really useful, in fact in your OP you state "All of these rules and basic strategies are subject to exceptions and nuances, which you will learn as you play. The best way to learn these are to play against/observe/talk to people who are better than you."

That's what i'm doing, so would you kindly back the gently caress off and let me talk to the people who are happily responding to me like decent people? Thanks dude, I really appreciate it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 5, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

dogstile posted:

I'm buying armor FOR gently caress'S SAKE!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

dogstile posted:

That's what i'm doing, so would you kindly back the gently caress off and let me talk to the people who are happily responding to me like decent people? Thanks dude, I really appreciate it.

yo there are a bunch of autists in this thread who act like cs is some kinda job or something

just chill out and have fun, troll idiots that give u poo poo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

down with slavery posted:

yo there are a bunch of autists in this thread who act like cs is some kinda job or something

Aye, that's my intention. Dunno what's up with Necc0 and his :qqsay: but I think i'll just ignore him from now on. Not gonna get mad over a video game. Will post a trip report later, gonna give deathmatch a try.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

dogstile posted:

Dunno what's up with Necc0 and his :qqsay:

imagine the thing you're most proud of in your life is maintaining the op of a video game thread on something awful

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I always miss when the thread goes to poo poo. :v:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Friendly reminder to rate the thread '1' if you haven't already

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

dogstile posted:

Aye, that's my intention. Dunno what's up with Necc0 and his :qqsay: but I think i'll just ignore him from now on. Not gonna get mad over a video game. Will post a trip report later, gonna give deathmatch a try.

You basically ignorred Necc0's OP, which has all of the info you wanted when you posted, then came in here and asked him to read it to you. Now you're pulling out :qqsay: over the fact that he told you to do even a little bit of research and actually read the OP for yourself since no one is interested in spoon feeding newbs every few pages.

EDIT: For reference I was the "new guy" before you. Try not throwing a hissy fit when people give you info but don't hand you a lollypop just for showing up.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Crain posted:

You basically ignorred Necc0's OP, which has all of the info you wanted when you posted, then came in here and asked him to read it to you. Now you're pulling out :qqsay: over the fact that he told you to do even a little bit of research and actually read the OP for yourself since no one is interested in spoon feeding newbs every few pages.

i'd much rather talk with noobs about their experiences in game than go over sens chat or whether or not KQLY is a legit player

necco's op is like a book, nobody should be expected to read that garbage

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So we were defusing the bomb and this guy thought there wasn't enough time without his defuse kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wmmzLj2Feg

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Lets accuse each other of having autism more, passive aggressive bitching and insults is the solo queue experience and not everyone gets that.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

dogstile posted:

Dunno what's up with Necc0 and his :qqsay: but I think i'll just ignore him from now on. Not gonna get mad over a video game.

dogstile posted:

:ironicat:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I was making fun of some guy on the other team a few days ago and immediately one of my teammates says "Ah poo poo, another guy we have to mute, eh boys?"

It's a community thing.

Trolling people like that is what makes solo MM fun.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
There's some joke that merges mouse sensitivity and people being sensitive about taking advice but I just can't find it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
This thread is almost 4 stars, we have all certainly come a long way from barely staying out of the gas chamber at one point!

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Daeno posted:

There's some joke that merges mouse sensitivity and people being sensitive about taking advice but I just can't find it.

don't jerk the trigger warning: sensitive chat

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

I read that as a "a bunch of altruists", I was thinking "yeah, hes right, we are great bunch of guys""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

It's a hard life in the silver mines

• Locked thread