Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

Bring back the dinosaur type wizards

they weren't lizards you fucKS

Would it have been more accurate to make it a Bird Beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragon enthusiast posted:

Cue the arguments about birds that don't fly.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

Cue the arguments about birds that don't fly.
If you're gonna name something a raptor and it doesn't fly you're just asking for trouble!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
It probably had Flying instead of Deathtouch but the artist heard "Raptor" and thought dinosaur instead of bird and they had to change the card to match the art.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Starving Autist posted:

They have to cast the kill spell on their turn, which is not insignificant against a control deck. That can put them on the back foot for a while in the right situation.

Putting them on the back foot well after they stabilized isn't that amazing though. All of Dromoka's abilities beyond its french vanilla ones are things that sound better than they are because they're all fake-protection abilities that don't actually do anything other than create an inconvienence for control decks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Raptors of Paradise

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hellsau posted:

It probably had Flying instead of Deathtouch but the artist heard "Raptor" and thought dinosaur instead of bird and they had to change the card to match the art.

The art guides now are detailed enough that that doesn't happen anymore.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Hardy har har at that Force mockup.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Hellsau posted:

I'm wishing Shriek Raptor was basically something out of Jurassic Park now.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

There's no way a Force reprint would not be mythic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ojetor posted:

There's no way a Force reprint would not be mythic.

There's also no way a Force reprint would happen.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Does it though? Seems like in a lot of control games, they'll have wiped your board on turn 5 and then have single target removal waiting on their turn 6, in which case Dromoka has done nothing.

Just that card on its own? No. In a Bant superfriends deck that wipes will essentially be pointless against? Yes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Also there's no way it wouldn't have smug dragon flavour text.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does anyone else cast Force of Will by dismissively flipping both cards out of your hand? I mean, I've only ever cast it when borrowing other people's cards, but hopefully that'll change soon.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

There's also no way a Force reprint would happen.

Like, ever? Or as a rare in Dragons?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

yes, but i allow concessions to reality on that since nobody wants to see a bunch of killer turkeys running around in Magic, even if they have six inch claws that can eviscerate you

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bhsman posted:

Like, ever? Or as a rare in Dragons?

It's not on the Reserve List so they're probably trying to think of a way to reprint it someday, but I doubt they want it in Standard or Modern.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It would probably be fine in most Standard environments, but they don't want it in Modern. They don't want Modern to be Legacy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

They don't want Modern to be Legacy.

Yeah, god forbid people do fun things with cards

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

yes, but i allow concessions to reality on that since nobody wants to see a bunch of killer turkeys running around in Magic, even if they have six inch claws that can eviscerate you

These opinions do not align with my own.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, god forbid people do fun things with cards

There isn't anything in modern that is degenerate enough to require force to keep it down. Legacy needs it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mini impulse

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Control getting better...

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Not so impulsive.
Also, it doesn't have the "Shuffle your library" error.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Mini impulse

i'm actually really excited by this.

mcmagic posted:

Control getting better...

I like that it fits in both control decks and the sort of decks that want to run Monastery Mentor & co.

Also: It's gonna look awesome in foil.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Entropic posted:

i'm actually really excited by this.

I like that it fits in both control decks and the sort of decks that want to run Monastery Mentor & co.

Yeah. Best current Standard cantrip?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rinkles posted:

Mini impulse

It's just a worse Impulse, I guess they decided Impulse is a bit too good for Standard. Still interesting and will see a bit of play.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

These opinions do not align with my own.

this guy ain't gonna cause 5 year old me to stay up at night worried about the dinosaurs coming to eat me *crosses arms*

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Mini impulse

And Jeskai takes the title of best post rotation deck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Mini impulse

How is 4 cards so dramatically better then 3 that they felt this kind of change was necessary, what a waste

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

There isn't anything in modern that is degenerate enough to require force to keep it down. Legacy needs it.

That's because they banned everything that's checked by force which is one of many possible reasons why modern is a box of wet farts.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chamale posted:

It's just a worse Impulse, I guess they decided Impulse is a bit too good for Standard. Still interesting and will see a bit of play.

Impulse isn't that powerful these days. It's good but being afraid of good cards is dumb.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
That Force of Will has just been confirmed, omfg

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

That Force of Will has just been confirmed, omfg

This is a level beyond trolling

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Non-spoiler-chat question:

What color pen is the best for getting cards signed? I'm planning on getting some done at the GP this weekend, and was looking at something besides the black sharpie that the artists used last time I got stuff signed. I was thinking maybe silver or gold sharpie to stand out a bit more.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Super trolling 2, if you will

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Impulse is also not a great name for a blue card (Maro has mentioned this on his podcast before). There's nothing impulsive about draw-go control.

An impulse reprint would be fun for nostalgia reasons, but I can also understand not wanting to let the old misprint back into Standard just because of people who will end up shuffling because the card says to.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Here is a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

How is 4 cards so dramatically better then 3 that they felt this kind of change was necessary, what a waste

Impulse would probably be OK in Standard, it's probably a case of them being wary of letting Modern have it.

• Locked thread