Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

what threads do App Review like? are they browsing games? fyad? d&d?

...YOSPOS?

It seems pretty random. Though I have fond memories of a rejection accompanied by a screenshot of some TCC OP that featured a giant image of a pot leaf.

theadder posted:

This is in the listing for YOSPOS and not the bookmark list. The setting says it only affects bookmarks.

Ah, right. (That setting is coming in the next version.) Is it the thread you were reading that gets re-sorted, or is it other threads too?

Stare-Out posted:

Just posting again about a slight visual tweak; in dark mode, the "new posts" number on unbookmarked but visited threads is pretty tricky to see if you're in a brightly lit environment (it's kind of dark blue against the dark grey background at the moment) and I was wondering if it could be brightened up a bit so it's easier to notice while scrolling down a list of threads in a forum.

I tweaked these for the next version, but do holler if they still aren't up to snuff.

Magnus Praeda posted:

When I open images via long-press, it opens at the very top of the screen, under the "done" button (see below). If I pinch to zoom in and zoom back out, the image moves down to the correct position.

This is fixed in the next version, which is confidently expected, um, never, because only fools confidently expect approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

pokeyman posted:

I tweaked these for the next version, but do holler if they still aren't up to snuff.
Will do, thanks.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I encountered a bug today. If you choose to view only one user's post in a thread, the little "Page Selection Dial" (slider? rolling thingy?) will still have the number of pages in the thread, not just how many pages the user has posted. For example, I'm on a 400-page thread, and I select to view only one poster's posts, he has three pages worth of posts. The little counter will say 1/3 at the bottom but if I tap on it I can select pages 1-400. Not sure if it's fixed in the newer betas, but I'm on the latest official release. Not a big deal but just thought I'd mention it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Ah, right. (That setting is coming in the next version.) Is it the thread you were reading that gets re-sorted, or is it other threads too?

It's only ever the thread I last opened that moves and it swaps position with the one either immediately above or below it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I just went to my bookmarks and one of them was doubled. Refreshing just updates both.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Since I don't have an iOS Awful thread of my own, I figured I would post this here so people see it. You can yell at me pokeyman if you want it taken down.

In case anyone is interested in a SAclopedia app, Awful Encyclopedia is now available on the App store. And it only took a month to get through review!

Now you can read SAclopedia on the go! Note that the app took about a day to build; The UI is built with Xamarin Forms (side note: I work there :v:), and I'm using my own .Net libraries for parsing SAclopedia enteries. It does not do much beyond accessing it (So no sharing, the toolbar on top is still black, etc.) and I'm not planning to really update it... but still, SAclopedia! Go nuts!

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 3, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I encountered a bug today. If you choose to view only one user's post in a thread, the little "Page Selection Dial" (slider? rolling thingy?) will still have the number of pages in the thread, not just how many pages the user has posted.

This is fixed in the next version!

theadder posted:

It's only ever the thread I last opened that moves and it swaps position with the one either immediately above or below it.

I'm guessing what's happening is that new posts have come in on the thread you're reading, and Awful is picking up on the appearance of a new page or new posts since the last time the thread list refreshed.

Baram posted:

I just went to my bookmarks and one of them was doubled. Refreshing just updates both.

I get this very rarely but I have seen it before. No idea what's causing it but it's on the list.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Setup: while reading a thread in Portrait orientation, either start scrolling and hit New Reply, or hit one of the Quote Post buttons and then start scrolling the thread so it's still scrolling when the reply sheet comes up. Now hit Cancel.

Expected behavior: the reply gets canceled/hidden and everything goes back to reading the thread like normal, same as if you weren't scrolling when the reply sheet came up.

Actual behavior: The gray box behind the keyboard sticks around, obscuring the bottom ~40% of the view, including the bottom bar that contains the widgets for display settings, page controls, and thread info. If you hit New Reply (no scrolling this time) again it'll bring you back to your reply and the keyboard will reappear, but the gray box keeps staying behind if you Cancel again. The box also remains if you go back to the Bookmarks screen.

Workarounds: flipping to landscape and back mostly gets rid of the issue. Likewise mostly fixed if the view is scrolling again when you reopen the reply sheet. I say "mostly" because the gray box doesn't get glued back to the keyboard, but it does slide off the bottom of the screen about half a second after the keyboard does.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ron-paul-its-happening.gif

Abjad Soup posted:

The gray box behind the keyboard sticks around, obscuring the bottom ~40% of the view, including the bottom bar that contains the widgets for display settings, page controls, and thread info. If you hit New Reply (no scrolling this time) again it'll bring you back to your reply and the keyboard will reappear, but the gray box keeps staying behind if you Cancel again. The box also remains if you go back to the Bookmarks screen.

That sounds trippy and I will get into it. Thanks for the detail, makes it easier!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm seeing smilies duplicated in the in-app keyboard. Not all, but most.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Update seems to just have gone up in the US App Store. Thanks Pokeyman and crew.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Boo to the lack of funny changelog bullet item icons

(app is awesome, thank you so much)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just grabbed the update. Thanks for your continued hard work, pokeyman!

Quick question though: The update notes says "Prune the cache". What does that mean? I looked in the settings menu and there doesn't seem to be any new setting to do that. The settings menu still says "Logging out erases all cached forums, threads, and postts." but I thought it always said that. Does the app just clear its own cache automatically every so often now?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh wow, swiping back is back to being really responsive!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh wow, swiping back is back to being really responsive!
It really is, and wonderfully visible unread post counts now :swoon:

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

How does handoff work

Edit: I like the new posting animation

alexmac
Jun 4, 2008

pokeyman posted:

Might be fixed in the new version? Holler back once the update comes out.

This was indeed fixed in the update that just came out, thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I seem to be having a problem in this update with loading a new page of threads. I get to the bottom and it doesn't load any more. Loading pages within a thread works fine.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I seem to be having a problem in this update with loading a new page of threads. I get to the bottom and it doesn't load any more. Loading pages within a thread works fine.

scroll back to the top and refresh manually and it should fix.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Brighter unread counts and sorting unread threads first? Loving it. I will now go make a sacrifice to the App Review Gods for graciously providing us with this update.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't know if you're taking bug reports for this, but external links don't work and it seems to have problems displaying some characters (check out Failure Vision).

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Hell yeah the wack rear end app crash when full screening images is gone! I love reading the version notes.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I don't know if you're taking bug reports for this, but external links don't work and it seems to have problems displaying some characters (check out Failure Vision).

I know. They are bugs with Xamarin Forms (The webview in the release version, quite frankly, sucks.) and I've talked with some people on the team about it. I'm probably not going to do any bug fix updates because I don't really care to. I mean, it took me a month just to get it through the approval process. Really it was just to get something out, and it really did take me less than a day to make it.

Now in the future, if I decide to go whole hog and make a full blown iOS forum reader... Then I will care a bit more about it :v:.

BTW All things Awful App + Me related can go into this thread.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Just updated! Hooray!

Favorites on the smiley keyboard in the app are still buggy! Boo!

To wit:

• After doing a long tap to enter the mode to reorder favorites, if I leave the app while still in reordering mode, returning to the app leaves me in that mode, but the "keys" are no longer moving.
  • Somewhat related, if I have done this, switch to the normal keyboard, switch back to the smiley keyboard, and then reorder a smiley, the smiley in question and any other smilies that were even momentarily reordered, will start "dancing" again.
  • Possibly related: After I toggle the reordering mode by a long tap, if I then drag as if to reorder a smiley and change my mind and return it to the exact place in the order of favorites from which I started dragging the smiley, that smiley "key" will no longer dance.
  • I still cannot seem to trigger the delete action on any smiley added to the favorites. Tapping on the little red icon in reorder mode appears to do nothing.
  • It's possible to drag a smiley near the end of the second-to-last row straight down and, if there is no smiley in the same horizontal location on the last row (i.e. it is possible to drag it straight down without hitting another smiley), the dragged smiley will not behave as if it was being moved to the very end of the list. In other words, the drag action must "hit" an existing smiley on the last row to register as a move to the "end" of the list. This is unintuitive, but perhaps understandably conflicts with desirable behavior when a button the the last row is pulled straight down (which probably shouldn't reorder). Maybe a compromise is to make the entire empty rest of the last row a hot area meaning "move to end"?
  • If I drag my finger slightly during the long tap to "pick up" a smiley button (turning the gesture into a swipe), I cannot pick up the button at all until I initiate a new long-press, even if the "swipe" never left the button. If I am not in reordering mode, the button may briefly flash the "delete" icon when I lift my finger, but I do not enter reordering mode. This should probably be a little more lenient and allow reordering mode to be entered following the standard long-press timeout, as long as the "swipe" doesn't leave the smiley.
  • It's unintuitive to have to continue to do long-presses to pick up smiley buttons even after I'm in reorder mode. The long-press timeout should only be respected when entering the mode (as it is in the Springboard). Or is there some other reason for this?

Also, a couple feature requests:
  • Would it be possible to automatically insert a [ * ] tag if I hit return while the cursor is inside an open [list] tag, like the web-based post editor does?
  • Could the smiley keyboard "pop" the smilies above the "keys" on key-press like the standard keyboard "pops" the letters up to improve visibility? It'd be a bonus if the special keys above the main keyboard did this as well.
  • It's slightly unintuitive to have to tap the favorite-smilies tab to exit reorder mode. Now of course you can't capture the home button events to behave like the Springboard does, but maybe tapping on empty space inside the favorites pane or outside the keyboard entirely could exit the mode too? But on the other hand, maybe this would be too confusing.
  • Less Critical: Maybe the "[" special "key" could offer options to select common "long" tags (e.g. list, spoiler) on a long press like how the standard keyboard offers diacritics when you do a long-tap on a vowel?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 5, 2015

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This exactly

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I'm seeing smilies duplicated in the in-app keyboard. Not all, but most.

I will make a note! When you say "most", are we talking 99% or 66% or what?

FreshFeesh posted:

Boo to the lack of funny changelog bullet item icons

The range of allowable characters kept getting tightened (and was never documented). Eventually I got fed up. Sorry!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Quick question though: The update notes says "Prune the cache". What does that mean? I looked in the settings menu and there doesn't seem to be any new setting to do that. The settings menu still says "Logging out erases all cached forums, threads, and postts." but I thought it always said that. Does the app just clear its own cache automatically every so often now?

It'll regularly delete posts, threads, users, and profiles that haven't been accessed in a week. I'm open to tweaking that if needed, I just picked a timeframe that felt sensible.

Actually solving the problem is still on the roadmap, but to be honest it's not very high priority. Assuming the new pruning goes alright, that is.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You got a workaround to keep you going for now, but fixing this is on the list for the next version.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Favorites on the smiley keyboard in the app are still buggy! Boo!

This is an outstanding summary of the failings of the smilie keyboard, and it makes me want to actually fix them. (I have no love for the smilie keyboard, so this is quite a feat!) I've made a note of all of them (and the requests) and I'll comment on a couple specific items here.

quote:

It's unintuitive to have to continue to do long-presses to pick up smiley buttons even after I'm in reorder mode. The long-press timeout should only be respected when entering the mode (as it is in the Springboard). Or is there some other reason for this?

Nope, just lovely implementation.

quote:

Could the smiley keyboard "pop" the smilies above the "keys" on key-press like the standard keyboard "pops" the letters up to improve visibility? It'd be a bonus if the special keys above the main keyboard did this as well.

Not really; the keyboard is not allowed to draw above its top edge. It might work within Awful, but it won't work in other apps. I'm not sure about the special keys doing the pop-out; I'm guessing it's doable. I'll take a look at both.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Whoops, forgot one.

weird toppings guy posted:

How does handoff work

Here's the info from Apple. Basically if you're reading a thread on your iPhone, then walk up to your Mac, a Safari icon will pop up in your dock that lets you continue reading the thread. Replace iPhone/Mac with iPad/night phone as needed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Say 66%.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Oh and as one other note on the smilie keyboard from a UX standpoint, it definitely looks like the "dance" is individually animated for each button. As a result, it's possible to induce a dance which is slightly offset from other buttons by releasing at a time which is at a different point in the animation cycle from other buttons. I'm not sure how easy it would be to synchronize this, or that it's super relevant to focus on if it turns out to be difficult to do.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

pokeyman posted:

Replace iPhone/Mac with iPad/night phone as needed.

Night phone? Is that like night cheese?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxqycijBUn0

Aha! I found a bug making that post! I bounced out of the app to get the link, and came back to a mismatched keyboard.

It happened again when I got the link for this image! It's an oroboros of bugs!

It only happens when I leave the app with the keyboard open. I'm on an iPad Air 2.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 6, 2015

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

So I'm having a very unusual problem. If I try to use the app using cellular data I get an error stating "could not load page - a server with the specified hostname could not be found. (Code - 1003)." I can use the app perfectly with WiFi.

This has only been happening for a few days. It persists despite the recent update and despite a delete and reinstall attempt. This is honestly perplexing me because I cannot think of a reason for it to be giving me issues with cellular and not WiFi. I have had no other connection problems at all. I obviously have the option selected to allow Awful to use cellular data.

Any thoughts?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Ok if I select the alternate server in the app cellular data works, however if I go back and select forums.somethingawful.com it stops working again. Did something change with the server addresses?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Der Meister posted:

Ok if I select the alternate server in the app cellular data works, however if I go back and select forums.somethingawful.com it stops working again. Did something change with the server addresses?

Can you access forums.somethingawful.com in Safari over cellular?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
The quote button is broken :(

E: ok maybe it isn't? It seems to load stuff after taking you to the edit window now or something?

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 6, 2015

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Froist posted:

Can you access forums.somethingawful.com in Safari over cellular?
Nope! Bizarre. Oh well, I changed the server and it works fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, FCC.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
e: Wrong thread

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 7, 2015

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Setup: open a user's Rap Sheet (and scroll down if necessary) to show the loading whirlispinner icon.

Expectation Maximization: more infractions would be loaded and displayed.

Full Life Consequences: Awful app crashes almost immediately.

This has happened on several distinct users when I checked them after I got the first crash! I'm using the updated app (v3.2), which in numerous respects seems much improved, e.g.: swiping back from a thread to Bookmarks no longer makes the bottom bar of the thread translucent (incredibly minor graphical thing that I was still gonna complain about but now don't have to); and you can copy embedded image URLs from the image viewer sheet again!

Actual minor complaint: it's hard to read the labels on that Sharing sub-sheet from the image viewer sheet, since the Sharing sub-sheet doesn't have any background, and the labels are in non-outlined black text.

E:

Mo0 posted:

Night phone? Is that like night cheese?

Apple Cabin!

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 7, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Scrolling through the bookmark or sub forum thread lists is kinda laggy. Not smooth at all. Is this normal? Can't remember if it has always been this way though.
Scrolling through threads is smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm no UI expert but it was confusing to me to have the same icon for both the button to close the in-app browser and the button to stop the page loading, obviously on a page that took a while to load fully.

• Locked thread