Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It doesn't appear to have anything that would need to be supported with payment, it just cuts everything

Cruz expects the costs will be offset by the healthcare industry being extra wealthy again rather than just wealthy when Obama implemented his bolshevism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Relative works for IRS, votes Republican. Just finished a conference call and came out bitching about program cuts and may have to apply for different position cause the IRS has no money. Votes Republican.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Floridiot posted:

Relative works for IRS, votes Republican. Just finished a conference call and came out bitching about program cuts and may have to apply for different position cause the IRS has no money. Votes Republican.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard" - HL Mencken, 1916

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Fried Chicken posted:

If you mean why do the split server email thing at all, it would be because for 30 years every last thing they have or haven't or have zero connection to has been held up as a reason to destroy them by the GOP. There has been nothing the Clintons have done that hasn't triggered a right wing flip out. Trying to kill Bin Laden was a bad thing when Clinton tried it. They had 2 weeks of hearings on their Christmas card list. Dan Burton shot watermelons to try and prove Hillary was a murderer. Given that, why would you give these deluded nuts anything that could possibly feed the inevitable madness your mere existence will feed?

I get that she'd want to keep whatever she could out of the public spotlight for those reasons but what I was having trouble with is that those chickens would come home to roost if she ran for president again. I think Joementum's answer regarding the circumstances at the time explain it best.

If I was her I would have try to avoid email all together, heh.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

Cruz expects the costs will be offset by the healthcare industry being extra wealthy again rather than just wealthy when Obama implemented his bolshevism.

Freedom Insurance: you're free to pick between huge medical debt or death.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
USCP Lieutenant Eric Graves has advised the sledders of regulation 16.5.20, "Winter Activities at the Capitol: Sledding. No person shall coast or slide a sled within the Capitol Grounds."

A sledder replied that the regulation is "silly" and continued sledding. The standoff continues. :ohdear:

Joementum fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 5, 2015

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joementum posted:

USCP Lieutenant Eric Graves has advised the sledders of regulation 16.5.20, "Winter Activities at the Capitol: Sledding. No person shall coast or slide a sled within the Capitol Grounds."

A sledder replied that the regulation is "silly" and continued sledding. The standoff continues. :ohdear:

This is going to end with reality imitating the Onion, isn't it?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

This is basically Bundy Ranch all over again. The feds can't afford to back down again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Alright boys! Tasers and tear gas, let's roll.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

PostNouveau posted:

Alright boys! Tasers and tear gas, let's roll.
Not enough black people involved to get away with it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Chaos reigns

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
"While America groaned under it's collective tyranny, few saw how close the glorious revolution was until the Great Snow Wars of 2015."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fried Chicken posted:

- coverage extended to age 26 is gone
- ban on annual and lifetime limits is gone
- ban on rescinding coverage is gone
- ban on discriminatory rates is gone
- pre existing protections are gone
- mandatory minimum standards for insurance is gone

So I have to wonder just what they think will happen if they manage to do this? Do they really think that millions of Americans suddenly losing their coverage, rates skyrocketing and being generally shat on, will just be swept under the rug? Do they not remember their own strategy with blaming Obama for the whole "you can keep you plan" poo poo? Or do they just not give a poo poo and bank it all on the populace having the memory of a gadfly?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

"While America groaned under it's collective tyranny, few saw how close the glorious revolution was until the Great Snow Wars of 2015."

Obama is watching from the White House ready to let the nukes fly. You can't sled when everything is nuclear helfire.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Talmonis posted:

So I have to wonder just what they think will happen if they manage to do this? Do they really think that millions of Americans suddenly losing their coverage, rates skyrocketing and being generally shat on, will just be swept under the rug? Do they not remember their own strategy with blaming Obama for the whole "you can keep you plan" poo poo? Or do they just not give a poo poo and bank it all on the populace having the memory of a gadfly?

They'll blame Obama for creating another generation of people who feel they deserve handouts from the government.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Talmonis posted:

Probably don't expect it to be enacted, it's all just grandstanding. The republican base has spoken and it is not interested in productive policy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Floridiot posted:

Speaking of the IRS... I wonder just how badly things are going to go this year's filling season. Initial reports are that fraudulent filings are waaay up and we still have over a month to go for people to discover their SSN was used.

And the IRS is lacking money to do proper investigations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Hillary, with the blunder on the emails -- was that just a generalization gap or can that be corrected?” ~ a TMZ photographer to Hillary Clinton.

Shockingly, she did not answer the question.

I'm not shocked because I can't figure out what that question is asking :confused:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

They'll blame Obama for creating another generation of people who feel they deserve handouts from the government.

Plus any negative results can be blamed on "lingering effects of obamacare" or something by Fox News.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Talmonis posted:

Burn nation to ashes, blame Obama / Hillary

It's worked so far!

More seriously I think some of these guys are just playing the game and saying whatever they think will get suckers to give them campaign donations, and don't expect to actually enact policy. Some may be deliberately trying to trash everything under the plan that they can then blame Obama for the problems (I'd put Mitch McConnell in this camp). The frightening prospect is that some are True Believers and genuinely don't realize the scale of the disaster they're playing with -- we saw that in the last debt ceiling fight where a number of Republicans seemed to genuinely believe that a U.S. default wouldn't be a bad thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Obama is watching from the White House ready to let the nukes fly. You can't sled when everything is nuclear helfire.

The survivors can go sledding even longer thanks to the nuclear winter. :science:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Munkeymon posted:

I'm not shocked because I can't figure out what that question is asking :confused:

I couldn't either, but I didn't want to admit it. I'm glad somebody else thought so.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"Oops I destroyed Congress, guess i'm king now."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Munkeymon posted:

I'm pretty sure the reporter meant to say "generation gap". I've seen a few people claim that Hillary shouldn't be expected to get email right* because she is old.

*not that what she did didn't apparently meet the letter if the law at the time it was done.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

You know, a generalization gap. A gap formed by generali ... wait what the gently caress?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm pretty sure the reporter meant to say "generation gap". I've seen a few people claim that Hillary shouldn't be expected to get email right* because she is old.

*not that what she did didn't apparently meet the letter if the law at the time it was done.

That does make more sense.

Not the whole "lol olds don't get computer machines" - that's dumb as hell because she has a staff.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

That does make more sense.

Not the whole "lol olds don't get computer machines" - that's dumb as hell because she has a staff.

But the whole reason she supposedly kept using only her personal email was because she wanted to keep using her blackberry, so the staff part doesn't really play into it.

Plus only olds and hookers use blackberries.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
As the day wore on the brave protesters found themselves suddenly besieged.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I think that guy is holding an RPG

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
And they're wearing black

You know who else wears black? ISIS. Are they ISIS? Has ISIS invaded the nation's capital? I'm just asking questions here.

DRUDGE: ISIS TERRORISTS BESIEGE WASHINGTON D.C., PHOTOS INSIDE

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I feel sorry when the police arrive and they're forced to respond with lethal force to those lawless thugs charging right for them.

e: I hope when the reporters are telling those kids that they're breaking the law one of them responds with "gently caress the police" and then takes off.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

JT Jag posted:

DRUDGE: SUSPECTED ISIS TERRORISTS BESIEGE WASHINGTON D.C., PHOTOS INSIDE

Edited for journalistic integrity.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

baw posted:

I think that guy is holding an RPG

I didnt know you were a drone operator

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Quick, someone edit the Gadsden flag. "Don't sled on me"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

I feel sorry when the police arrive and they're forced to respond with lethal force to those lawless thugs charging right for them.

e: I hope when the reporters are telling those kids that they're breaking the law one of them responds with "gently caress the police" and then takes off.

They knew what they were signing up for. It's their duty.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

site posted:

Not enough black people involved to get away with it.

"He was armed! Did you see the size of that snowball?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well yeah, you have to wait for nuclear winter, duh.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 5, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I didnt know you were a drone operator

Only until Obama ended the war and destroyed my humble way of life.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol at everything after Joe's new picture

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

A few days ago Bloomberg had a great story about the politicization of pizza — which is part of the broader pattern in which nutrition and obesity have become deeply partisan. Big Pizza is now an industry as dedicated to the GOP as coal or tobacco.

This got me to wondering about the general association between politics and BMI; impressionistically, heaviness and redness go together, but I wanted something more systematic. So a few notes, mainly to myself.

First, yes, there is a clear correlation between obesity and Republican lean at the state level. Here’s the scatter for the 2012 election:

Photo

Credit
There are outliers — Utah especially, but also Montana and Wyoming, of which more in a minute, but overall the relationship is really clear. At the county level, the “diabetes belt” — that’s the CDC’s term, not mine — is clearly very Republican.

An immediate question: is this all about ethnic and racial mixes? No. The CDC offers us this map of obesity rates among non-Hispanic whites:

Photo

Credit
The pattern is still there. If anything, breaking out the ethnic groups strengthens the case for an association between politics and body mass. I thought Utah was a real outlier, very conservative but thin by American standards because of Mormonism; but if you go to the CDC source, it turns out that Utah’s low obesity rate reflects its small minority population, that non-Hispanic whites there have about the same prevalence of obesity that they do in New York, and somewhat higher than Massachusetts. That’s even more true of Montana and Wyoming.

So, junk food for thought.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Joementum posted:

As the day wore on the brave protesters found themselves suddenly besieged.

"This is the hill we choose to lie on!"

• Locked thread