Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rhymenoserous posted:

With 17 carriers running he could plex an account roughly every 2nd ratting tick.
And that's not counting the staggering amounts of money he won/lost doing Somer Blinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

MorsAnima posted:

Let's not cut around the bush. Personal R64s/32s in Syndicate was SV leadership's biggest secret back then. Everyone know about it, but you couldn't talk about it, no-one would say a word.

This was suas thing at a time when av leadership was just him and the bos directors and it was hardly a secret as powers openly poo poo on them about it pretty much everywhere.

This glazes over the fact eg does the same thing with money moons :v:

Actual sv leadership has never had a moon empire nor maintained one.

A lot of people got really turned off by the moon blitz suas did right before he quit and we have made sure not to repeat that mistake.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

real men build r64 empires by themselves by ninjasieging a crumbling empire :black101:

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

mcswizzle posted:

So it's been a while since I submitted to join up. Any idea who to poke about authing if I haven't heard anything from newbie@goonfleet.com for a few days?

I'm the brother in this situation, still haven't heard anything re: authorization of this guy. It's been over a week, no responses from newbies@goonfleet.com and radio silence everywhere else.

Who do I gotta blow? The plex on this account is going to waste waiting for this to happen :qq:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Maneck posted:

As someone who thinks these combined changes are going to be great, can you explain what the intended purpose of Dreadnought class ships is?

Dreadnoughts get 100km anti-NPC smartbombs, become premier ratting ships.

Hubbins
Sep 3, 2007
THIS is what a Hubbins looks like.

Maneck posted:

As someone who thinks these combined changes are going to be great, can you explain what the intended purpose of Dreadnought class ships is?

Have to blitz those DG FSP 3 somehow.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

AAPsel posted:

Say what you will, that change was amazing. I felt like a second class citizen for not having a suitcase carrier.

When I played with TopGoon and SV when I first started, this was the first thing that occurred to me. 20 months later, my carrier alt will be crapswarm ready with full jump skills in ~1 week. Capswarm in ~1 month :suicide:

This just reinforces my desire to live the life of a highsec scarebear, rarely setting foot in null ever again.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zasze posted:

This was suas thing at a time when av leadership was just him and the bos directors and it was hardly a secret as powers openly poo poo on them about it pretty much everywhere.

This glazes over the fact eg does the same thing with money moons :v:

Actual sv leadership has never had a moon empire nor maintained one.

A lot of people got really turned off by the moon blitz suas did right before he quit and we have made sure not to repeat that mistake.

The problem comes when you start doing things like make SpecOps I mean SV defend your moons. I don't think Vee is shoving all of EG's moons into his own pockets the same way Suas was. Let's be loving honest, Suas has never done a drat thing if he didn't directly benefit from it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

KaneTW posted:

Dreadnoughts get 100km anti-NPC smartbombs, become premier ratting ships.

I got to use my dread last week to blap xdeath ravens. Unfortunately thats a rare occurrence. I wish someone would invade Deklein with something bigger than inties and stealthbombers :negative:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

The problem comes when you start doing things like make SpecOps I mean SV defend your moons. I don't think Vee is shoving all of EG's moons into his own pockets the same way Suas was. Let's be loving honest, Suas has never done a drat thing if he didn't directly benefit from it.

No I agree eg"s funds go to the squad they had a far more beneficial system for spreading the wealth with ship caches ect.

Also Im in waffe so I have 0 reason to burn the squad out to protect bos assets :v:

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Hexel posted:

I got to use my dread last week to blap xdeath ravens. Unfortunately thats a rare occurrence. I wish someone would invade Deklein with something bigger than inties and stealthbombers :negative:

CCP Fozzie sends his regards

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Stik3 posted:

I just watched someone on Twitch horribly lose a Daredevil to a Tristan in a highsec FW site, and then proceed to lose his pod.
I wish he at least put the TEST logo on his screen instead of the Goon one.

A neut tristan is death for a blaster daredevil. I learned this lesson 3 times. I will never engage a tristan with a daredevil ever again. And no, that wasn't my stream.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Glory of Arioch posted:

you take like one jump bridge and gate it the rest of the way

interceptors travel faster by gates than an industrial can by JBs and with the whole "cannot be caught under any circumstances" part

That's probably the better option in most circumstances but you can get a sigil to align in like 4 seconds and warp at 8 au/s. depending on where you're going and what bridges you're taking it could be useful i dunno

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

AAPsel posted:

Say what you will, that change was amazing. I felt like a second class citizen for not having a suitcase carrier. All the cool groups would deploy all over the universe at a moment's notice and new players had to beg people to take their ships to the deployment area. Then 2 weeks later you would have to beg them to take your ship back.

I understand that if you're an older player you don't like your spacetoy wrecked, but gently caress having to play this game for 2 years or spending the equivalent in GTC to fully enjoy EVE. CCP threw newer players a bone there and I'm thankful for it.

"I don't like that someone else had a neat toy, therefor nobody should be allowed to have any toys. There, now we're all even."

Yeah, some sort of change needed to happen. Nobody (sane) is denying that. That being said, the changes as implemented were loving stupid, and if you can't see that then you also are loving stupid.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know what, gently caress you for bitching about suitcase carriers. :commissar: If a group makes you feel like a second-class citizen, that's because they're dicks, or because you're making it hard for them to help you. I put way too much effort into setting up cyno chains and moving ships for other people who didn't have carriers when that was a thing. Alliance move ops have slogged ships around the entire map for such "second-class" citizens.

So apparently "second class citizens" = other people do the work for you.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah poor you having someone else put in the effort and time to move your poo poo around, usually for free, I guess?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Well that escalated quickly.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

You know what, gently caress you for bitching about suitcase carriers. :commissar: If a group makes you feel like a second-class citizen, that's because they're dicks, or because you're making it hard for them to help you. I put way too much effort into setting up cyno chains and moving ships for other people who didn't have carriers when that was a thing. Alliance move ops have slogged ships around the entire map for such "second-class" citizens.

When I ran topgoon move ops the only people I poo poo on were the dudes trying to get us to make extra trips for battlebadgers and poo poo. Basically just Drake. This lead to a general order stating that any battlebadgers would be ejected at random points during the trip.

EDIT: I still have somebodies bombers who didn't rename them.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

AAPsel posted:

Say what you will, that change was amazing. I felt like a second class citizen for not having a suitcase carrier. All the cool groups would deploy all over the universe at a moment's notice and new players had to beg people to take their ships to the deployment area. Then 2 weeks later you would have to beg them to take your ship back.

I understand that if you're an older player you don't like your spacetoy wrecked, but gently caress having to play this game for 2 years or spending the equivalent in GTC to fully enjoy EVE. CCP threw newer players a bone there and I'm thankful for it.

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, even in the days before space AIDS, the romance of the suitcase carrier wore off pretty quickly, when you realized that setting up cyno chains on your own basically consumed hours of your time, unless you had a bunch of accounts with spare cyno character slots. I had to leapfrog it with 3 cyno characters every time I wanted to move poo poo on my own - and that was in the days when you could podjump with impunity. It still sucked.

That said, I totally contributed to the starry-eyed fervour with which people gush over their first carrier, before realizing that it just becomes a chore like anything else. Before I decided to just go ahead and win at EVE, I was only ever really using my carrier as an expensive ratting boat, and joining the occasional cap op where we proceeded to jump to a place and sit with sentry drones out, doing nothing while dreads took down a POS. The mystique of being an independent space-lord, trucking my own ships across the galaxy didn't really pan out the way I thought it would, but I sure crowed about it when I first got the ability to sit in a carrier. So... sorry, I guess, for making you feel lovely, but also, you really weren't missing out on much.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
You were missing out on a lot of work. Less work than moving individual ships if you wanted a full stable to move around with you (I did).

Most non retards could get away with two ships for a deployment and source the rest once they are in theater. Moving just two is a hell of a lot less annoying than running cynos.

Now me? I always drug around a few recons, a blops, a pirate cruiser and a smattering of interceptors and the like. And I used them all, so a carrier was a no brainer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HappyKitty posted:

Yeah, even in the days before space AIDS, the romance of the suitcase carrier wore off pretty quickly, when you realized that setting up cyno chains on your own basically consumed hours of your time, unless you had a bunch of accounts with spare cyno character slots. I had to leapfrog it with 3 cyno characters every time I wanted to move poo poo on my own - and that was in the days when you could podjump with impunity. It still sucked.

That said, I totally contributed to the starry-eyed fervour with which people gush over their first carrier, before realizing that it just becomes a chore like anything else. Before I decided to just go ahead and win at EVE, I was only ever really using my carrier as an expensive ratting boat, and joining the occasional cap op where we proceeded to jump to a place and sit with sentry drones out, doing nothing while dreads took down a POS. The mystique of being an independent space-lord, trucking my own ships across the galaxy didn't really pan out the way I thought it would, but I sure crowed about it when I first got the ability to sit in a carrier. So... sorry, I guess, for making you feel lovely, but also, you really weren't missing out on much.

Story of my eve life pre Phoebe. Now my carriers are parked in YA0 awaiting something to happen, but if they get locked there forever I wouldn't care much anymore, they're virtually useless.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

orange juche posted:

Story of my eve life pre Phoebe. Now my carriers are parked in YA0 awaiting something to happen, but if they get locked there forever I wouldn't care much anymore, they're virtually useless.

drunk roams through syndicate:getin:

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

orange juche posted:

As dreads, as almost any jump-capable capital. CCP just wants us all to leave the game I believe, why don't they just remove them

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Fozzie finally replied in the feedback thread: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5551356#post5551356

I dunno. His point about not wanting this to be Dominion mk. 2 is well taken, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Schlampa
Dec 28, 2006

CCP Fozzie posted:

I hope that for many of you the actions you've seen from CCP recently have increased your trust that we will follow through

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I honestly don't know how to take that statement.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Rhymenoserous posted:

with a grain container of table rock salt

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

I don't know much about sov, Fozzie or even :ccp:

But I think the best way to interpret this statement is like a politician's promise - ignore it until the results appear.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what Dominion mk2 means. Is that the patch that deleted boot.ini? Also who is Fozzie? Some former EVE player or a developer straight from school?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

orange juche posted:

just sell them

i sold all my caps before phoebe started, though I did end up rebuying a dread when R-DU got reset

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Might be naive of me, but regarding my comments about suitcase carriers...

I always felt really guilty. I was some scrub who was shipping a bunch of poo poo t1 cruisers down there. It was a hassle for me (getting them ready), and a bigger hassle for the person doing the jumping for the aforementioned reasons. And what was I even bringing to the table? Jack and poo poo. Especially with TopGoon where I would bring a stabber (cause that's all I could fly), without a meaningful place for stabbers in the fleets. There was also the added issue that I had to get the contracts by a certain time. I remember missing the cobalt edge deployment and slowboating there in a bomber because carriers had already shipped out, etc. And then if you get stuff shipped via carrier, don't show up to ops / deployment, you feel like a shitbird. And you have to ask to get your stuff shipped back or eat the loss.

So the feeling you take from it is that you're a burden. Then you read about people packing up there carrier with frigs and destroyers and poo poo and going somewhere for a week to gently caress around and live out of a carrier and that seems really awesome. No pain in the rear end with finding freighter services, just being a space loner elite pvp all-star.

My point was that I finally got close to having my own suitcase carrier, and then they pulled the rug out from under me. But I didn't stop me training it, because I guess I want one and I have stockholm's syndrome?

fake edit: I think the suitcase carrier discussion is also similar to the discussion about newbees who quit in the 3-9 month mark because there isn't much to do. But let's not open up that :can:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
People like you were never the problem, it was always the people with their own pocket fleets that wanted a big pile of poo poo shipped, most of it completely unnecessary: See drakes loving badgers. Also that big pile of harpies that Theadj bought for us saddled us with that became the shipping albatross of whichever poor bastard wanted to deal with it.

EDIT: What made it seem like a burden depended on who was running the move fleet. Guuldans move ops were these long drawn out hell fests which encouraged everyone in Topgoon to bring their entire house and the kitchen sink, and by the end of them everyone was drained and all of the carrier pilots were rightfully pissed off at everyone because they often went farther into pocket for moving stuff than they wanted to.

I ran three move ops. Dek to delve took 30 minutes because we stopped off in NOL to taunt test. The second move to delve took 15 minutes. The move to provi surroundings took two hours. 20 minutes to move topgoon, then GSOL asked to piggyback some of our cynos for a couple of hours.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 5, 2015

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
Cynos are a goddamn pain in the rear end. Even if jump fatigue were reasonable now, I can't imagine doing a cross-map convoy with a 4.5-5LY jump range. Still, while carriers were actually useful, I definitely enjoyed having one even if just for the variety of ships I could tow around. For small-gang stuff, extended gatecamps, Blackops work, etc it was really nice to be able to hop into whatever the gang needed at the time.

It's way easier to have someone else move one or two ships for you, but if you lose a lot of poo poo, or enjoy variety, it was definitely better to have your own carrier.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhymenoserous posted:

People like you were never the problem, it was always the people with their own pocket fleets that wanted a big pile of poo poo shipped, most of it completely unnecessary: See drakes loving badgers. Also that big pile of harpies that Theadj bought for us saddled us with that became the shipping albatross of whichever poor bastard wanted to deal with it.

EDIT: What made it seem like a burden depended on who was running the move fleet. Guuldans move ops were these long drawn out hell fests which encouraged everyone in Topgoon to bring their entire house and the kitchen sink, and by the end of them everyone was drained and all of the carrier pilots were rightfully pissed off at everyone because they often went farther into pocket for moving stuff than they wanted to.

I ran three move ops. Dek to delve took 30 minutes because we stopped off in NOL to taunt test. The second move to delve took 15 minutes. The move to provi surroundings took two hours. 20 minutes to move topgoon, then GSOL asked to piggyback some of our cynos for a couple of hours.

I ran the major move ops between Curse and KRUNK, plus a number of smaller ones for the same deployment. It never took more than 15 minutes.

Who was it that actually jettisoned drake's badgers at a midpoint?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I brought a lot so I could fly whatever we were lacking, dictor, or antisupport being the big ones. Plus I needed ships that could fit though a bridge if we were doing hotdrops. Plus I needed my blops BS. And I kept one fastwarp interceptor for going to fetch modules I needed. Basically if you can fly anything you are semi obliged to bring at least one of everything to fill any fleet holes. But if you can fly anything you should probably have had your own carrier.

For a (relative) newbie, the topgoon ships of choice should be a T1 cruiser and a SB, nothing else is needed.

The loss of a suitcase is almost devastating. I think the method for dealing with it is to simply have it shipped to the nearest highsec boardering lowsec within one short capital jump of staging. Then make a weekly trip out to snag the poo poo you need for a week.

CommonShore posted:

I ran the major move ops between Curse and KRUNK, plus a number of smaller ones for the same deployment. It never took more than 15 minutes.

Who was it that actually jettisoned drake's badgers at a midpoint?

Was probably me. I've slept since then. EDIT: This is Smiling fyi

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 5, 2015

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

quote:

I'll just say that I hope that for many of you the actions you've seen from CCP recently have increased your trust that we will follow through

It's cute that he thinks people are worrying about whether or not they'll follow through, instead of what we're actually worrying about (that this entire thing will be a giant stupid mess).

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

as a threat

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CashEnsign posted:

as a threat

that's kinda how I took it.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
Eve has kinda gotten pretty good since they've done the 6-week cycle though? They've taken a lighter hand on Ishtars than some would have wanted, but the game's been heading in a pretty decent direction. I mean even Jump Fatigue did what it was meant to do.

I still want my Jump Bridges back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I still want my Jump Bridges back.

The only upside to my space nomadic lifestyle is I was no longer used to having jumpbridges anyways. Camping jumbridges yes, actually using them? No.

• Locked thread