Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ratpick posted:

This is actually a playstyle I'd like to try: everyone starts with a bunch of 1st-level characters and just picks one for their first adventure. If your character gets damaged to the point where normally you'd spend a couple of weeks in town recuperating, you just bring a backup character to play in the meantime. Between forays into the dungeon the DM checks whether rooms the PCs have already cleared out become repopulated.

It'd actually be perfect for a game with irregular attendance: Gary can't make it this week, but that's okay 'cause Dave's schedule cleared and he can now make it to the game with his 2nd-level Cleric in tow.

I'd imagine the internet could make this even easier to pull off: you just post "ok I'm running OD&D every other day at this time" and the roll20 link and whoever shows within the 15 min grace period gets to play.

On a different note, that also made me realize what the point of measuring how long it took for a character to heal up via resting, and even the case where different classes took different amounts of time to heal because healing/time is absolute but Fighters have more HP. It makes sense if you're measuring time in the campaign strictly and swapping characters in and out because the rest of your stable of character sheets is recuperating from their wounds. Just another one of those things that maybe don't make sense with the way the game is played nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Speaking of supers, it looks like I'm going to be giving Wild Talents a shot soon. I've never played a One Roll Engine thing before, but it looks alright even if it's not what I'd normally go for.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Ratpick posted:

This is actually a playstyle I'd like to try: everyone starts with a bunch of 1st-level characters and just picks one for their first adventure. If your character gets damaged to the point where normally you'd spend a couple of weeks in town recuperating, you just bring a backup character to play in the meantime. Between forays into the dungeon the DM checks whether rooms the PCs have already cleared out become repopulated.

[...]

Also, another feature of old-school D&D I've never experienced personally is the idea of hiring retainers who level up with you (at a slower rate though because they only get a half share of all experience gained) who could later mature into a character of their own. The idea of each 1st-level character getting a free 0-level human, elf, dwarf or halfling follower at first level (and getting to roll their stats as they would for their own character) who would then "graduate" into a fully-fledged 1st-level character upon gaining a certain amount of XP is kinda fun.

That sounds like something that Dungeon Crawl Classic Role-Playing Game was meant to handle. You should give that a look. It's been mentioned in the Retroclone thread, though mocked because some of its eccentricities.

It also sounds kind of like Ars Magica's Troupe System if I remember that correctly.

I haven't gotten to play either game, but hey, you can probably salvage their little systems and whathaveyou for D&D or D&D-esque game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Actually, yeah, I'd say it's like DX but less complex and with clearer rules. You just pick powers and go. And it can totally do Runaways/YA.

That's enough to get me to get it, since it comes out of my account credit anyway. Thanks! :v:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I just started running my first ever 3.5 campaign.

I feel so overwhelmed :negative:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Famethrowa posted:

I just started running my first ever 3.5 campaign.

I feel so overwhelmed :negative:

Oh, you poor sap. :smith:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

GrizzlyCow posted:

That sounds like something that Dungeon Crawl Classic Role-Playing Game was meant to handle. You should give that a look. It's been mentioned in the Retroclone thread, though mocked because some of its eccentricities.

It also sounds kind of like Ars Magica's Troupe System if I remember that correctly.

I haven't gotten to play either game, but hey, you can probably salvage their little systems and whathaveyou for D&D or D&D-esque game.

Yeah, I know DCC and it looks fun, but a bit too on the heavy side for my tastes. I mean, I like the fact that it's basically an adaptation of my favorite edition of D&D (B/X) with a very clear focus on emulating the Appendix N vibe, but on the other hand it looks very cumbersome in play what with the critical hit and miss charts and specific roll-dependent effects for every spell. However, I still reserve judgement on the game on account of the fact that I haven't actually seen how it works in play.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Oh, you poor sap. :smith:

Is it possible to convert up to a later edition (or a good variant homebrew) that gets rid of the complicated bullshit but won't make me redo all my character sheets?

Grapple :argh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pathfinder, little brother.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ratpick posted:

It'd actually be perfect for a game with irregular attendance: Gary can't make it this week, but that's okay 'cause Dave's schedule cleared and he can now make it to the game with his 2nd-level Cleric in tow.
I was in a game that did exactly this, actually. Our scheduled time was "whenever the DM and at least 3 players are around" and we would go through a dungeon. It was really fun but then our DM shipped off with the navy for some months and it died out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Famethrowa posted:

Is it possible to convert up to a later edition (or a good variant homebrew) that gets rid of the complicated bullshit but won't make me redo all my character sheets?

Well, my 100% serious suggestion, if your group is down with it, is to switch to Dungeon World depending on what y'all are looking for in a game.

Also the dungeon world rules are online and free so you wouldn't have to drop any money on it.

Edit: it is a different system, so there'd be new character sheets, but they're WAAAAY less complex and should only take a few minutes to get back up and running.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 5, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has there ever been a quick way to stat up monsters in 3.5, even?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Famethrowa posted:

No, not really

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

Nope. Just run any other D&D-ish game. Whether it's 4E, Dungeon World, 13th Age or even Pathfinder, it will be better than 3.5 for everyone involved.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No the purpose of 3.5 is complicated bullshit. I'm sorry all of the fixes that maintain backward compatibility are the same amount of complicated just arguably more or less balanced bullshit. The complicated nature is the draw. If you're not having fun I'd suggest dropping it and moving to 4th edition.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Has there ever been a quick way to stat up monsters in 3.5, even?

Just writing down hp, saves, and attacks based on level ballparks.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

quote is not edit

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Here's all the rules for free:
http://book.dwgazetteer.com/index.html
All the info is found under headings at the top of the page.

and here's the DW thread here on SA, where we're happy to answer any and all questions should you want to try converting over.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540201

IMO, DW does everything I've ever wanted D&D to do, so there you go for what it's worth.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 5, 2015

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

This is what I get for telling the alpha nerds at my game store I wanted to try D&D for the first time :downs:

I think I'll look into Dungeon World. I'm running Sunless Citadel, but I've added so much stuff to the game world we haven't even gotten to the dungeon yet. :lol: Might take a bit of work but I can make it happen.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why are you running it if this is your first time with the system?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Run the triad of win: Warhammer Fantasy, Ars Magica or Exalted 3E instead of Dungeon World man.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if there's one game I wanted to run or play less than D&D 3.5, it'd have to be D&D 3.5 with a group that knows the game inside and out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PresidentBeard posted:

Just writing down hp, saves, and attacks based on level ballparks.

And which ones are those?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

PresidentBeard posted:

Because I don't know people who have DMed before, and my friends have at most been to a handful of previous sessions. We are all learning together. :)

And I have played before, but very briefly and with a hacked together version of 3.5 my coworkers used. So I can barely count it.

I can run 3.5 ok. We're just ignoring lots of the rule lawyery stuff, and it takes time to do complicated actions, but overall it's been fun. I just would rather be more consistent with the rules, and that would be easier in a less complex ruleset.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 5, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Or run Pendragon. I want to play Pendragon a lot after I read a game thread.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

Man if there's one game I wanted to run or play less than D&D 3.5, it'd have to be D&D 3.5 with a group that knows the game inside and out.

That's the only good way to play 3.5. You're just assuming the worst. If someone's an rear end in a top hat while playing 3.5 they'd be an rear end in a top hat playing any game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, I know DCC and it looks fun, but a bit too on the heavy side for my tastes. I mean, I like the fact that it's basically an adaptation of my favorite edition of D&D (B/X) with a very clear focus on emulating the Appendix N vibe, but on the other hand it looks very cumbersome in play what with the critical hit and miss charts and specific roll-dependent effects for every spell. However, I still reserve judgement on the game on account of the fact that I haven't actually seen how it works in play.

DW has Funnel World, which serves the same start-with-a-bunch-of-disposable-guys purpose.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'll throw in a recommendation for 13th Age and 4E. Both of those have served me very well over the years. Dungeon World looks awesome too, but my group hasn't gotten a chance to play it yet, but all I hear about it is good things.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Famethrowa posted:

Because I don't know people who have DMed before, and my friends have at most been to a handful of previous sessions. We are all learning together. :)

And I have played before, but very briefly and with a hacked together version of 3.5 my coworkers used. So I can barely count it.

And I can run 3.5 ok. We're just ignoring lots of the rule lawyery stuff, and it takes time to do complicated actions, but overall it's been fun. I just would rather be more consistent with the rules, and that would be easier in a less complex ruleset.

Yeah, the bolded parts are straight up default Dungeon World. :unsmith:

and whatever classes your players are running now, guaranteed there's a DW playbook (DW term for classes/character sheets) that is either exact, or close enough to not be a big deal to switch.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Everyone should play my Fate hack, and they should do it right now. Or any time before Monday, really.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, the bolded parts are straight up default Dungeon World. :unsmith:

and whatever classes your players are running now, guaranteed there's a DW playbook (DW term for classes/character sheets) that is either exact, or close enough to not be a big deal to switch.

Based on what I'm reading it looks like the case. We are really enjoying a more plot driven mystery right now so that would be right up our alley.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PresidentBeard posted:

my first experience with roleplaying gaming was running pathfinder

it was a similar combination of not knowing any better and not having any other way to start out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Famethrowa posted:

Based on what I'm reading it looks like the case. We are really enjoying a more plot driven mystery right now so that would be right up our alley.

You should be using GUMSHOE. Use GUMSHOE, please.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
FWIW the whole "everyone saves up gold and then just dumps it on the level one character" is something that happened kinda often in Gygax's games.

The thing to remember is that there was often a somewhat sizable gap between "what Gygax said to do in his books" and "what Gygax actually did in his ames."

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just to expand on this, because Gumshoe is not super well-known...

Gumshoe is the underlying system for a series of games such as Fear Itself, the Esoterrorists, Trail of Cthulhu, Ashen Stars, and Night's Black Agents. Its ideas have been specifically adapted to Pathfinder as the "Lorefinder" version but I haven't read that.

The key idea of Gumshoe is this: Is it fun when you miss a clue to the mystery because you failed a roll? No, it really isn't. And then the GM scrambles to give you the clue another way or let you progress in the story.

Since that is not fun, in Gumshoe, you can just find the clue. Most of the other aspects of the system build onto that, so that each player can get cool clue-finding moments and interesting connections to NPCs or organizations. But the core idea is that in an investigative game, clues are super fun. You shouldn't be walling off the fun bit behind pass or fail die rolls.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

GUMSHOE is a weird system in that its entire exsistence is rendered moot if you know what GUMSHOE is trying to do.
EDIT:
Its also kind of a wonky system in a few ways and gets more fun once you figure out some of the weird eccentricities of it.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 5, 2015

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sionak posted:

Just to expand on this, because Gumshoe is not super well-known...

Gumshoe is the underlying system for a series of games such as Fear Itself, the Esoterrorists, Trail of Cthulhu, Ashen Stars, and Night's Black Agents. Its ideas have been specifically adapted to Pathfinder as the "Lorefinder" version but I haven't read that.

The key idea of Gumshoe is this: Is it fun when you miss a clue to the mystery because you failed a roll? No, it really isn't. And then the GM scrambles to give you the clue another way or let you progress in the story.

Since that is not fun, in Gumshoe, you can just find the clue. Most of the other aspects of the system build onto that, so that each player can get cool clue-finding moments and interesting connections to NPCs or organizations. But the core idea is that in an investigative game, clues are super fun. You shouldn't be walling off the fun bit behind pass or fail die rolls.

Could I reasonably adapt this to my campaign without losing out on hacky slashy fun?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Famethrowa posted:

Could I reasonably adapt this to my campaign without losing out on hacky slashy fun?

Can you!

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8pf3?Lorefinder

It's for Pathfinder and I haven't personally used it but I'm sure it's fine.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Or run Pendragon. I want to play Pendragon a lot after I read a game thread.

I will run Pendragon, as I'm rereading Le Morte D'Arthur right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pendragon is great if your group is also all into the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd argue Pendragon is a very narrowly focused game that has significant replayability.

• Locked thread