Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Speaking of Gimmick Decks:

Mono-Red Devotion deck. Eidolon of the Great Revel and Thunderbreak Regent and laugh at your opponent taking 5 to try and downfall your Stormbreath. Think of the value!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of Gimmick Decks:

Mono-Red Devotion deck. Eidolon of the Great Revel and Thunderbreak Regent and laugh at your opponent taking 5 to try and downfall your Stormbreath. Think of the value!

Can you please explain why you think sligh is a gimmick deck? M-Red devotion is a gimmick, yeah, but I don't get what you mean with sligh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fiend Computer posted:

Can you please explain why you think sligh is a gimmick deck? M-Red devotion is a gimmick, yeah, but I don't get what you mean with sligh.

The gimmick here is angry grimace's posting gimmick.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Weird. There's already alternate art version of Dragonlord's Servant?

https://twitter.com/marshall_lr/status/573554454651273216

http://mythicspoiler.com/dtk/cards/dragonlordsservant.html

Is there like a whole comic strip of this little dude's adventures?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Alright, Zurgling rush kekekekekekekeke ^_______________^
That said, I'm not playing it until rotation. Bravo, WotC.

Edit: Without Reckoner, Fanatic of Mogis is a gimmick, it's impossible to maintain any board presence as Red in this standard, deck got way better when I removed Fanatic for Ashcloud.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 5, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

qbert posted:

Weird. There's already alternate art version of Dragonlord's Servant?

https://twitter.com/marshall_lr/status/573554454651273216

http://mythicspoiler.com/dtk/cards/dragonlordsservant.html

Is there like a whole comic strip of this little dude's adventures?

That's the one that's in the set proper. The other one we saw earlier was the alternate art one you can get from the dice game at Pre-release.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Fiend Computer posted:

Its not, that was just a joke.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not, that was just a joke.

oh :downs:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I just sort of assumed the "dirty poors" part gave that away.

I mean, well, I guess I don't know. Some of you Sligh-players might actually be unwashed commoners well beneath my station.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Cernunnos posted:

That's the one that's in the set proper. The other one we saw earlier was the alternate art one you can get from the dice game at Pre-release.

Ah, gotcha. Looking at the promos, I really like the buy-a-box Ojutai's Command. Reminds me of snow-covered lands.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If you like to play red that is cool but please stop complaining about other colors or how red never gets anything. I dunno how y'all are posting from 2008 but

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Dash avoids Drown and Anger, but I think that's less of a benefit than you're imagining because dash actually sucks in a deck with 18 lands in it. You're not playing more threats than the opponent can deal with, you're playing one tiny threat over and over just to play around a single card.
It doesn't actually suck, you run out of cards to play quite quickly in a low-curve deck (especially if you're trying to avoid an Anger/Drown blowout) and having a mana sink to keep applying pressure to your opponent is really nice. It helps if the creature in question is also a really good card to just play on turn one.

Also surprise hasty dudes often act as reach especially against control decks, which may make them have to use Force of Will at an inopportune time.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 5, 2015

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, well, I guess I don't know. Some of you Sligh-players might actually be unwashed commoners well beneath my station.

Its funny because I could tell you were at least mostly joking.

Zoness posted:

but orcs arent goblins :(

I know, but its not that bad of a flavour hit (Goblins and Orcs working together) and I just need a solid one drop 2/2 besides just Denizen.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

im going to do it and splash for jeskai ascendancy and attack for 20 on turn 4

Imma just splash Green for Atarka's Command, Destructive Revelry in the board, and possibly a second orc in good old Shaman of the Great Hunt's activation. :orks101:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I've heard some pretty elitist Magic players before, but that is mostly me being :downs:

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Chamale posted:

I managed to go 2-1 with a land-destruction Bird tribal deck the next week. I had to run Bird Maiden because those early sets do not have many birds.
Please tell me you played Rukh Egg.
Was the rest Ice Storm, Stone Rain, Fissure, Strip Mine, Lightning Bolt? I presume you ran Thermokarst if Ice Age was legal.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It doesn't actually suck, you run out of cards to play quite quickly in a low-curve deck (especially if you're trying to avoid an Anger/Drown blowout) and having a mana sink to keep applying pressure to your opponent is really nice. It helps if the creature in question is also a really good card to just play on turn one.

Also surprise hasty dudes often act as reach especially against control decks, which may make them have to use Force of Will at an inopportune time.

Why do I get the impression this Force of Will joke has staying power and will be shopped into every set from now on?

Jorath posted:

Please tell me you played Rukh Egg.
Was the rest Ice Storm, Stone Rain, Fissure, Strip Mine, Lightning Bolt? I presume you ran Thermokarst if Ice Age was legal.

I always found it funny there is a card named "Roc Egg" which is referential card to "Rukh Egg," but in white. The word Roc is from the Arabic/Persian رخ - Rokh or Rukh

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 5, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rimusutera posted:

Its funny because I could tell you were at least mostly joking.

I know, but its not that bad of a flavour hit (Goblins and Orcs working together) and I just need a solid one drop 2/2 besides just Denizen.

Imma just splash Green for Atarka's Command, Destructive Revelry in the board, and possibly a second orc in good old Shaman of the Great Hunt's activation. :orks101:

What, no Fanatic of Xenagos? :getin:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What was the selection criteria for urza block reserved list cards?

Example: goblin welder: not reserved
grim monolith: reserved.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Molybdenum posted:

Like 80% of the entire Reserved List was picked at random.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

A dart board.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Would you want a goblin welder in your collection? He'd turn your Teeka's Dragons into like Mindslavers what an rear end in a top hat.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Zoness posted:

Would you want a goblin welder in your collection? He'd turn your Teeka's Dragons into like Mindslavers what an rear end in a top hat.

hey boss i wrecked your black lotus. but look, i made a darksteel relic

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I rather assume tomorrow is when we get Sarkhan at the PAX panel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Next planeswalker has to be at least part green, right? Or have walker colors gone unrepresented in blocks before?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zoness posted:

Uh, clearly he would turn it into an Ashnod's Altar. Unless you can think of a better ash tray in MTG.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Next planeswalker has to be at least part green, right? Or have walker colors gone unrepresented in blocks before?

I think he'll be RG if it's really Sarkhan again. Just a wild guess.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Sarkhan was originally red/green, went crazy and turned to red/black, got some Ugin seed in his brain and went mono-red, so it feels like maybe he's Red/Green once he's sane again and Ugin's stuff isn't in his brain?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

There is no green walker in SOM block.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
Is Monastery Mentor something of which I would need 4 copies? I want to build a mono white deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gideon Jura pre-spark

Looks like his home plane is Theros?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Those are some terrible 'chops you got there, G-Man.

Also that looks like such an awkward 3D render.

e: it's the goofy lens flare.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Angry Grimace posted:

I think he'll be RG if it's really Sarkhan again. Just a wild guess.

He should be R/B after having xenagos and domri back to back

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mayostard posted:

Is Monastery Mentor something of which I would need 4 copies? I want to build a mono white deck.

Yes, accept no substitutes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The "Gideon is from Theros" theory now seems to have convinced everyone that the guy in this flavor text is a reference Gideon Jura on his "home plane" with a bastardized-Latin name.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
If he's from Theros, I predict a Courser of Kruphix reprint to go along with the landfall coming in this Fall's Return to Zendikar

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mayostard posted:

I haven't seen any mono-white deck with it, but it's up to you. If we're talking standard I think a heroic build is probably a better bet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

End of Life Guy posted:

If he's from Theros, I predict a Courser of Kruphix reprint to go along with the landfall coming in this Fall's Return to Zendikar

Hey now, Courser is no Typhoid Rats we can probably go a Standard rotation without it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Gideon isn't from Theros, though. Nissa is the only planeswalker of those in Origins whose home plane we know of (and will visit). At least according to Wizards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Art for upcoming spoiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hellsau posted:

Those are some terrible 'chops you got there, G-Man.

Also that looks like such an awkward 3D render.

e: it's the goofy lens flare.

Gideon "Starburns" Jura

• Locked thread