Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's extraordinarily easy to very pleasantly and bouncily tell people to go gently caress them, and it's way, way more satisfying.

As it turns out, that appears to be a skill I wasn't aware I had until my most recent job. Had a customer raising holy hell about some systems and "what we said it would do" among other various bull-poo poo, so by the time the meeting rolled around, my ire was at max levels.

I proceeded to basically tell the customer to pound sand, we never said that, the systems are working as expected and explained at the design and implementation stages. Basically, shooting down every complaint he made in loving excruciating detail. By the end of the call, the customer not only backed off his claims, but thanked me for clearing things up and giving him a better understanding of the system. And I also generated additional revenue for some of our team to go onsite and help identify the gaps he feels he has and how we can help solve those issues. And it was all done with my tone of voice, word selection and not letting one iota of my contempt for his technical acumen show in my voice.

Turned a poo poo day into a great one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Eagerly refreshing this thread waiting for Dick Trauma to report back on his new job

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THE BUZZ WORDS STOP.

Welp, company sold. New company has no IT Manager and management asked me if I want to step up. At the same time, I just got offered a lot of money to work for another local firm that isn't HQ'd on the opposite coast. Plus I don't want to remotely manage the primary IT staff. Ugg. Their network/systems are a functional mess, just like ours. I'm trying to get the entire picture before I make a decision. There's thankfully no rush.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Take the new job. Do not stay for a merger unless you really like pain.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

NZAmoeba posted:

Eagerly refreshing this thread waiting for Dick Trauma to report back on his new job

Three days in and somehow I've established myself as the guy who dresses up for work. Definitely something that has never happened to me before. I've been told twice how nice I'm dressing followed up immediately by gentle mocking for wearing a tie. People are dressed mostly in jeans and casual tops and shoes so I'll save the tie for the Monday management meeting but otherwise dress down a little. The last job made me aware that the way I dressed might have hurt me so I still intend to wear my shiny shoes and nice shirts.

Other than a very old firewall and everyone having local admin there's nothing on fire. All the projects they told me about (bad/missing processes and internal controls, file server mess, everything running from HQ server room instead of hosted, fragmented accounting systems) are exactly as advertised.

It turns out that the office manager/desktop support guy has worked with their I.T. consultants to create detailed documentation of their servers. A couple of years ago they virtualized several servers, putting them on a pair of big boomer HP machines with a crapload of RAM and hard drive space. 10 VMs managed through Vsphere. In only three days many of the blanks are filled in, something I'm not used to. I'm meeting with the consultants Friday to go over my remaining questions regarding disaster recovery, remote access and the like. Making my job even easier is that they already engaged a firm to work on their processes and get change management in place. Their assessment was thorough and the CEO is eager to get started. I just have to ride herd on them.

I don't have an office due to comically bad space planning, and it could be quite a while. But I'm in a conference room by myself with a lovely view of the Pacific ocean so I'm not complaining. I already ordered my PC!

I met with my boss who outlined her top five projects and their priority. It matched what I was already doing, and I'm happy to see that most of my job will be projects, not desktop support. I'm already building out my MS Project files so by next week I'll be at full speed.

I really do feel like I have a fresh start at filling the role I really want in I.T. management, and not being an invisible person who works hard, does good work and then gets repeatedly stepped on. I always keep that in mind when I interact with people here: don't be the person that allowed that to happen.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Faith in IT God restored.

Dressing well makes you feel good. Keep it up, I say.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Swink posted:

Faith in IT God restored.

Dressing well makes you feel good. Keep it up, I say.

gently caress yeah, be the slightly overdressed guy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah especially if your position is one of leadership. Dress the part, be the part.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
poo poo pissing me off: google thinks my home IP address is in Armenia. I've ruled out viruses, rogue proxies, bad routing tables, and other issues on my side. ARIN and other ip location services all say the correct location. I've filled out the form on google reporting it, and it looked like they fixed it yesterday but it's back to redirecting me to google.am again. What the hell google.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dick Trauma posted:

Three days in and somehow I've established myself as the guy who dresses up for work. Definitely something that has never happened to me before. I've been told twice how nice I'm dressing followed up immediately by gentle mocking for wearing a tie. People are dressed mostly in jeans and casual tops and shoes so I'll save the tie for the Monday management meeting but otherwise dress down a little.
There's a younger guy here who always talks about "being the best dressed guy in the room"

He wears cowboy boots with slacks, short sleeve white dress shirts, a vest, a bowtie, suspenders and a belt. He looks like a complete moron and everyone makes fun of him when he leaves the room.

"It's always easier to take off a jacket and dress down than come in underdressed"

That said I always wear dress shoes and pants and a long sleeved dress shirt, half because I'm 'a manager' and the other half because I have visible tattoos.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

That said I always wear dress shoes and pants and a long sleeved dress shirt, half because I'm 'a manager' and the other half because I have visible tattoos.

In the past, I've had a manager mention that I shouldn't be wearing printed t-shirts under my white dress shirt. It took him a minute when I told him I wasn't wearing a t-shirt. Of course now I work from home, so I am in sweats.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

SubjectVerbObject posted:

In the past, I've had a manager mention that I shouldn't be wearing printed t-shirts under my white dress shirt. It took him a minute when I told him I wasn't wearing a t-shirt. Of course now I work from home, so I am in sweats.

That is why I wear a t-shirt under my dress shirt :v:
Being a bodybuilder = nice clothes do not fit me though so clothes are a struggle. I still make an effort to look nice, especially since people probably would believe I was crazy/dangerous person if they saw me in anything else...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

moosepoop posted:

That is why I wear a t-shirt under my dress shirt :v:
Being a bodybuilder = nice clothes do not fit me though so clothes are a struggle. I still make an effort to look nice, especially since people probably would believe I was crazy/dangerous person if they saw me in anything else...

You should be required to never wear any type of shirt so that you can let everybody into the gun show ;-*

Also at the risk of aiding and abetting another dress code derail, I will once again say that context is everything. I wear jeans all the time because my job still entails crawling around under desks a lot and I don't feel like ruining "nice" pants even if they are Lands End cheap-os.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dick Trauma posted:

Three days in and somehow I've established myself as the guy who dresses up for work. Definitely something that has never happened to me before. I've been told twice how nice I'm dressing followed up immediately by gentle mocking for wearing a tie. People are dressed mostly in jeans and casual tops and shoes so I'll save the tie for the Monday management meeting but otherwise dress down a little. The last job made me aware that the way I dressed might have hurt me so I still intend to wear my shiny shoes and nice shirts.

Don't forget to maintain that 'interview' haircut.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you don't have to wear a tie, don't!

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I just wear the same thing every day. Most would call it the Steve Jobs approach but I consider more "having to wear uniforms in private school for 13 years" approach.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

spog posted:

I've been shaving my head for about 15 years so that part is easy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Argument I had with my boss today: whether or not I will be on two calls at once. Turns out I was right, I won't.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Argument I had with my boss today: whether or not I will be on two calls at once. Turns out I was right, I won't.

Your next evaluation: "Not a team player"

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Thing pissing me off right now: I get that we helped set up this system, and I don't REALLY get why we help users reset their password since I'm not helpdesk, but it doesn't take long so whatever.

But why am I given a list of ids/names to key into the system? I can't just write up some SQL because the only access I have to the vendor's db is through a web interface, so I spend 3 hours keying in names, looking up email addresses in outlook, and looking up their supervisor so that I can add them in. I'm a programmer and I'm paid like a programmer and this is a huge waste of my time and your money.

And now I'm listening to some guy drone about application security in some mandatory training videos that seem like they were designed for management and that gets to be the rest of my day. OH GOOD you're right I should set up an application security team and get my organization to create a portfolio of our giant clusterfuck of custom applications. QUICK HAND ME THAT PHONE I have an important message for the president.

And of course, the training does not count towards my "productive time" performance metric :geno:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thing #234235 our Opencart e-commerce site doesn't do that some lovely consulting company who's owner is buddies with our CFO made: Check for the SALES TAX EXEMPT checkbox on customers.

It's a different thing every day with this piece of poo poo.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 5, 2015

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Eldercain posted:

*snip*

I'm a programmer and I'm paid like a programmer and this is a huge waste of my time and your money.

*snip*

And of course, the training does not count towards my "productive time" performance metric :geno:

You're a programmer with time-spend-based performance metrics? how does that even work?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Brut posted:

You're a programmer with time-spend-based performance metrics? how does that even work?

We have this. I work in professional services and so one of our metrics is how much of our time is billable to a customer. It doesn't affect pay but it's used more as a measure of how work is distributed throughout the team. Not a big deal so long as there's a good reason behind it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man I am getting some weird spam lately:

quote:

Horizons Companies is committed to environmentally friendly practices and causes. He was buried in his cathedral of Ely, and a monument was erected to his memory by his chaplain and executor, Dr.
Civil Air Patrol Rangers Florida Patch. Created REDIRECT because Choteau, Montana is commonly misspelled as Shoto instead of Choteau. When the King of Sweden arrived in Russia in August 1796, he and Alexandra fell in love at first sight. Jean de la Vega, after 1538.
WJR, Goodwill Station, Inc. A tropical low strengthened into a tropical depression just after crossing the dateline into the western Pacific. It was cancelled after a run of less than three months, although a few episodes were aired in June 1991.

Obviously markov chained, but there's no link or payload or anything, and it's a bad markov because it switches topics in mid-sentence. I would like to meet Dr. Civil Air Patrol Rangers Florida Patch though. I'm not sure what it's supposed to accomplish other than an address confirmation by not bouncing, but why bother with a markov chain generator?

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
I've got about 20,000 of these sitting in various inboxes, work and personal.

Each and every single one has content originating from Wikipedia.

e: In your quote above, I'd guess about 6 Wikipedia articles make that up?

Westie fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 6, 2015

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I've thought about it and the only thing I can think of is that they're doing to test Google's spam algorithm

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been shaving my head for about 15 years so that part is easy.

Yep, been rocking the smooth for about 20 years. Or as I like to call it, a pre-emptive strike against genetics.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah I've thought about it and the only thing I can think of is that they're doing to test Google's spam algorithm

I've never understood the purpose of these, if they are indeed tests (what else could they be?). Unless they included one of those pixel trackers (which most clients won't load these days), how exactly do they get their results. Spam blockers are black-holes, so there's no result for delivery and no result for being blocked. Even for non-existant email addresses, if they're testing for bounce backs, a good spam blocker will blackhole those too.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Scaramouche posted:

Man I am getting some weird spam lately:

Obviously markov chained, but there's no link or payload or anything, and it's a bad markov because it switches topics in mid-sentence. I would like to meet Dr. Civil Air Patrol Rangers Florida Patch though. I'm not sure what it's supposed to accomplish other than an address confirmation by not bouncing, but why bother with a markov chain generator?

The markov-mail gets through the 'Very obviously spam' filters, and the 'di$c0n+ C!@|1$' filters. Then it successfully delivers. Then you add them to your spear phishing list for possible sent-as users or something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flosofl posted:

I've never understood the purpose of these, if they are indeed tests (what else could they be?). Unless they included one of those pixel trackers (which most clients won't load these days), how exactly do they get their results. Spam blockers are black-holes, so there's no result for delivery and no result for being blocked. Even for non-existant email addresses, if they're testing for bounce backs, a good spam blocker will blackhole those too.

They can have several "clean" accounts that the spam is sent to, and see whether it shows up there. If it makes the "clean" account even though it was sent to 20k people, excellent, it probably made it through for everyone.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

One of my email addresses seems to be on a phishing spam VPS ring's list. Every email seems to come from a different IP and domain, and every domain tends to have one of the new gTLDs (like .club, .website, .link, etc.). SpamAssassin is starting to get really good at catching them but two or three seem to get through per day.

It's getting annoying.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
My company or a vendor sold my email address to some marketing poo poo, so I get all of sorts of IT related sales, consultant, training, etc emails every day. Not an enormous amount, but 3-5. I've been unsubscribing to no avail, they're all from different people. So I started being a dick even though they're unmonitored - I started replying to the email with the word "Unsubscribe." - got 2 people who apologized and removed me. Well someone else I guess didn't like that, because I am now up to 10 per day, so someone added me to MORE lists. Yay.

I've got a preeeeetty good Outlook filter that sends them to a folder I don't look at, but, sigh.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Dear Mister Recruiter Guy:

You hit me up ever my few months with a new gig that I should be super excited about and is an excellent opportunity. That's nice, honestly. But do you REALLY have to say "this one's gonna move fast"? I married into third generation real estate. I know what empty sales talk sounds like and you can lay off it NOW.

Thanks,

Meanie

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
5 and a half years ago when I was graduating college and looking for jobs, I got in contact with a placement agency and after a face to face meeting where the recruiter asked me to send him my references, and then he fell off the face of the earth.

I got a message on LinkedIn from the same agency today. I doooooooon't think so.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

spog posted:

The best haircut is the one people never notice. :ocelot:

I've been trying to get mine cut once a month, but the hair on my neck grows in way faster than the stuff on my head so it's not a good as it could be.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

FISHMANPET posted:

5 and a half years ago when I was graduating college and looking for jobs, I got in contact with a placement agency and after a face to face meeting where the recruiter asked me to send him my references, and then he fell off the face of the earth.

I got a message on LinkedIn from the same agency today. I doooooooon't think so.

A usual cause for recruiters vanishing, especially ones that deal with recent graduates and are thus likely to be new themselves, is that they've gotten fired. I'd at least hear out what this other guy has to say.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Dress chat, my progression at my company looks like this:
Consultant = full suit
Hired on full time = Kept wearing the suits for a while then I would drop the tie or jacket
A few more years, promoted to manager = Split time between button down shirt and nice polo shirt, occasional jacket
We got a new VP who relaxed dress code = Less and less button down shirts, more jeans
Transferred to corporate, manage a few more guys plus outsource support team, telecommute full time = Jean, tshirts, occasional sweats, haven't shaved all week

Seems the longer I work here and the higher up I move in management the worse I dress. When I make director I'll just be in a robe and slippers.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Your next evaluation: "Not a team player"

Unable to manage multiple priorities.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

tomapot posted:

Seems the longer I work here and the higher up I move in management the worse I dress. When I make director I'll just be in a robe and slippers.

With a White Russian in hand. Best manager ever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Crowley posted:

With a White Russian in hand. Best manager ever.

And a nice rug in your private office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

tomapot posted:

Dress chat, my progression at my company looks like this:
Consultant = full suit
Hired on full time = Kept wearing the suits for a while then I would drop the tie or jacket
A few more years, promoted to manager = Split time between button down shirt and nice polo shirt, occasional jacket
We got a new VP who relaxed dress code = Less and less button down shirts, more jeans
Transferred to corporate, manage a few more guys plus outsource support team, telecommute full time = Jean, tshirts, occasional sweats, haven't shaved all week

Unable to manage multiple priorities.

I wear slippers at work, so I guess I'm a junior director?