Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

DrNutt posted:

I never said sub-100 but those are insane-person prices. No one* is going to buy these things.

*Or close enough to no one so as to have the same effect.

Ehh, some folks have really high standards for video performance. The cheapest Steam machine is probably good enough for a lot of folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zombie Samurai posted:

Actually, the least expensive option for in-home streaming is now this.

Which I want very bad so I can stop futzing around with my wife's garbage laptop.

Edit for the lazy:

$49.99

Hope you can use any controller with this, as the Steam Controller looks like rear end.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rirse posted:

Hope you can use any controller with this, as the Steam Controller looks like rear end.

It's got USB ports, I wouldn't see why not.

For $50 I would probably consider purchasing this. My media center is getting extremely old and has trouble streaming HD stuff, and I get tired of moving my PC around and reconnecting all the cables every time.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Ehh, some folks have really high standards for video performance. The cheapest Steam machine is probably good enough for a lot of folks.
The cheapest ones are dual cores.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

explosivo posted:

It's got USB ports, I wouldn't see why not.

For $50 I would probably consider purchasing this. My media center is getting old and has trouble streaming HD stuff, and I get tired of moving my PC around and reconnecting all the cables every time.

Keep in mind that Steam Game Streaming is pretty terrible over wifi generally though so you'd have to run cables if the PC is moved anyway.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phetz posted:

Looks like Wasteland 2 is on sale at half price for $19.99 right now. It looked really cool to me before it came out but I guess it was pretty buggy on release so I held off. Should I pull the trigger on it now, at that price and with all the (very extensive-looking) patches it's gotten? I loved New Vegas and could go for something at least superficially like it.

You can get it for half that price if you buy from somewhere like G2A.

It's a good game if you can tolerate elements of bad 80s design being deliberately added just to make it "feel" more like the first Wasteland game. I didn't run into any bugs back at launch, and they've been active in patching it over the months since. It plays nothing like New Vegas, of course (you should go play Fallout 1 and 2 if you somehow haven't already played them).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, I mean I understand that--actually, my regular monitor is like 16"? 18"?

Measure the diagonal and that'll be the size. If you're really on an 18", it's time to join the 21st Century.

I built a HTPC running SteamOS for the living room, mainly for quietness. Once you're into sound dampening, the cases get a bit heavier. I don't run streaming because I'm too lazy to run the Cat 5 in the walls, and long cables aren't really kid/wife friendly.

As people said, there's a real difference in context between a desk and the sofa.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The White Dragon posted:

People don't just pick up their towers and put them next to a bigger TV? It's not like they're heavy and computers have HDMI out these days, this is for the lazy :v:

v I don't wanna be like "bro do you even lift" but seriously I use a full-size tower too and desktops ain't that heavy. But idk maybe you have a huge house.

Do you seriously think it's because computers are 'heavy'? That's the argument here?

Who wants to constantly gently caress around with 50 cords? Not I! So the option is to have two sets of chords everywhere and still have to unplug/plug my PC in all the time - ugly and messy, or I can just buy that nice $50 peripheral and call it a day.

HMMMMMMM.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Weekly

$1
The Bridge
Closure
Dominique Pamplemousse

BTA
NaissanceE
Betrayer
Oquonie

$10
Neverending Nightmares

Closure's a pretty good puzzle game. Betrayer's alright. I haven't heard great things about Dominique, apparently the singing in it is terrible.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rirse posted:

It's running SteamOS which has full support for 360, DS3 and DS4 controllers. I think xbone too but only via USB.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Humble Weekly

$1
The Bridge
Closure
Dominique Pamplemousse

BTA
NaissanceE
Betrayer
Oquonie

$10
Neverending Nightmares

Closure's a pretty good puzzle game. Betrayer's alright. I haven't heard great things about Dominique, apparently the singing in it is terrible.

This is a really good opportunity to get NaissancE. It's a very cool game but not really meaty enough for full price.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:toot: This is the first bundle this year that I've been properly interested in. Got some good weird exploration games, which are pretty much my bag.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Torn between the falcoln northwest 8TB SSD or the origin omega 3 way SLI gtx 980s

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The_Franz posted:

It's running SteamOS which has full support for 360, DS3 and DS4 controllers. I think xbone too but only via USB.

Oh it's confirmed to have DS4 support? That's good since I really love using that controller on PC games as of late.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rirse posted:

Oh it's confirmed to have DS4 support? That's good since I really love using that controller on PC games as of late.

I wrote the DS4 Linux driver and backported it to the SteamOS kernel, so I'm pretty sure it's in there :).

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Space Rangers HD in a bundle with some other stuff.

e: Can you use the DS4's onboard speakers for anything, PC-gaming wise?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

E: dp

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

The_Franz posted:

I wrote the DS4 Linux driver and backported it to the SteamOS kernel, so I'm pretty sure it's in there :).

50 years from now an AI will be writing an article about controller support in SteamOS, the only OS left, and they will credit John Carmack for adding it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

for all the people who want to drop hundreds / thousands of dollars on a gaming pc but are too stupid to order the parts themselves?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Space Rangers HD in a bundle with some other stuff.

e: Can you use the DS4's onboard speakers for anything, PC-gaming wise?

Nope, that's the one thing that doesn't work. As far as I know, nobody ever figured out how to send audio data to it, or even what format it needs to be in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sinking Ship posted:

for all the people who want to drop hundreds / thousands of dollars on a gaming pc but are too stupid to order the parts themselves?

Pretty sure Alienware's been doing this for many years now.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Rise of the machines.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, I mean I understand that--actually, my regular monitor is like 16"? 18"? But I like to drag it over to a big screen once in a while. Too bad they don't make those 50" TVs in 16:10 though.

Or if this thing works I can spend 50$ and not have to unhook everything from my computer, move it, hook it back up, unhook it all again, move it again and hook it back up again any time I wanted to play a PC game on my TV?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I only hook and unhook a few cables. HDMI, power and ethernet.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sinking Ship posted:

I'm actually their target audience for one of those. I have a decent enough laptop that handles all of my computer needs, but can't run AAA pc games.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Yaos posted:

The new Tex Avery game sold about 300,000 copies.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Why yes I would love to pay 1099.99$ for a shoe box with an i3-4130 and a 750ti

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Already had Space Rangers but it seems like a nice bundle for $4.99 so I grabbed it. Here's my SR:HD key if anyone wants it (you do): Claimed!

Phetz fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 5, 2015

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Steam link and the controller looks good and that's really all that matters for me. Valve will probably get a hundred dollars from me in Nov.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

GreenNight posted:

I only hook and unhook a few cables. HDMI, power and ethernet.

Same here. For 50$ it would be nice to just go to the living room, sit down and play a game instead of turning off the pc, going under the desk, unhooking the PC, moving it to the other room, plugging it in, turning it on, playing a game, turning it off, unhooking it, moving it back to the other room, go under the desk, hook it up and turn it back on.

If you had TV would you only get one cable box and move it from room to room to watch TV?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've heard Alienware hardware is overpriced junk, but it's the cheapest Steambox and I figure getting one of them will be better then the link since I can only ever afford computers around that price anyway so I'm not exactly armed with a lot of horsepower sticking to my laptop. How should I proceed here?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I've heard Alienware hardware is overpriced junk, but it's the cheapest Steambox and I figure getting one of them will be better then the link since I can only ever afford computers around that price anyway so I'm not exactly armed with a lot of horsepower sticking to my laptop. How should I proceed here?

Make your own PC.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Elite Soldier is a must-have for character customisation, slingshot's okay. Play through vanilla XCOM a couple of times on classic ironman before touching enemy within (it adds mechanics and story events). Avoid easy/normal as they cheat in the background (hit chances are better for you and worse for the ai than the numbers suggest) and hamstring the ai (they can only control a couple of units per turn and have a chance to do an intentionally horrible move). It'll teach you bad ways to play which'll gently caress you up later. Ignore mod suggestions outside of usability tweaks, and play with a controller for fine-aiming of grenades/rockets. KB/M is still great to play with, it's just finicky for precise shots.

I've played EW on Classic "Bronzeman" (reload if i totally gently caress up a mission), next time thru is gonna be Long War. :riker: I'll get both the packs, sounds like ok stuff to have around.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Phetz posted:

Already had Space Rangers but it seems like a nice bundle for $4.99 so I grabbed it. Here's my SR:HD key if anyone wants it (you do): X2LRR-AW24P-VNAP3

Thanks!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Technetium posted:

If you had TV would you only get one cable box and move it from room to room to watch TV?

Maybe my family is living in the stone age :ohdear:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Michaellaneous posted:

Make your own PC.

I...think I'll just get the SBX.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Yaos posted:

Ars Technica released their estimates for sales of games on Steam released in 2014 up to February, 26, 2015 . They use a Steam API that let's them grab data from public profiles, and using the magic of statistics they extrapolate sales.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/steam-gauge-measuring-the-most-popular-steam-games-of-2014/1/

Goat Simulator sold almost 1.5 million copies. Dark Souls 2 sold almost 1 million copies. The new Tex Avery game sold about 300,000 copies. Civ 5: Beyond Earth sold about 2 million copies, but less than half that actually took the time to run the game.

Steam's most owned and played game was made by a 15-year-old.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Putting together your own PC is actually trivially easy these days but whatever floats your boat.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Using google the hardware in the SBX is worth about 250~ dollars. Hard to get an exact figure since some of the poo poo is too old to be readily accessible anymore but uh... yea, buy it if you like paying 200 extra dollars for a 20 dollar case and assembly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Putting together your own PC is actually trivially easy these days but whatever floats your boat.

I got video evidence of two grown men loving up a PC build. It's much easier than before, but you still need to read a little about parts compatibility with the motherboard and how much power your PSU needs to run it.

Not to mention that a lot of pre-built PCs come with warranties where you can just throw your whole hunk of poo poo in the mail and get it fixed or replaced, while building one yourself means figuring out which part or parts are actually broken, what parts are covered by a warranty, and what gets mailed where.

But you should build one anyways because learning stuff is cool and good.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 5, 2015

• Locked thread