Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Since there's a championship now can we go back to calling them D1-A and D1-AA instead of FBS and FCS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Also the QB situation isn't depressing because we actually have depth for once, but what is depressing about it is knowing Brewer basically has it locked up because he's a returning starter and it just seems super unlikely they put a true freshman in who won't arrive until June/July, and all reports are the freshman who RS last year aren't really going to cut it.

Brewer has another year of eligibility? :magical: That guy's going to wind up worse than David Ash at this rate. That Ohio State game where he was a huge hero despite having his brain turned to mush was basically like a loving movie with how gritty he was, but... ugh. He was awful most of the season and his career basically feels like a drawn out snuff film at this point.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Thoguh posted:

Since there's a championship now can we go back to calling them D1-A and D1-AA instead of FBS and FCS?

Well they are still the Big 10 and Big 12, so no.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

DJExile posted:

is this a perspective trick or was Percy like 6'10" because holy poo poo he looks enormous :stare:

He was 6'2 and that Miami running back was like 5'9.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

I still say I-AA like 99% of the time. But I also still say "Pac-10" most of the time so it's possible I'm just really bad at remembering things.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Thoguh posted:

No, I just started to remember to say FBS and FCS. Thank god I never learned who was in the legends and leaders off the top of my head.

Let's see...Michigan's fight song says leaders and best so they're of course in the legends division so that means Ohio State is in the leaders division. OSU lost to MSU in the championship game, so MSU was in the legends. MSU and Nebraska both lost to Wisconsin in the other championship games, so Wisconsin is in the leaders and Nebraska is in the legends division.

My god that was stupid.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I put more effort into following Iowa football than I have ever put into any job I have ever had, and I literally have no idea if Iowa was in the legends or leaders.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

PostNouveau posted:

Remember when Texas ran the zone read? Good times, good times

Yeah I seem to remember some NCG appearances during those years, and winning one with a QB who is not exactly renowned for his complex understanding of X's and O's. Jerrod Heard is not Vince Young, but I have to believe he could run that playbook pretty well. The one where the QB's plays are mostly (A) handoff or (B) make one read, and if your dude's not open take off running.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA quarterback situation is fairly uninteresting. Bryce Ramsey was Mason's backup all year last year, but the issue with him was playbook familiarity. Ramsey has a huge arm, but wasn't always the most accurate. Ramsey was pretty serviceable during the Belk Bowl after Mason got his brain turned into mashed potatoes. Probably the starting quarterback this coming season unless one of the other guys was an off season warrior and made huge gains. Jacob Park took a red-shirt last year but by all accounts is a solid guy. He was the one playing as starter against the 1st string defense for scout team purposes and defenders have said that he can move pretty well and can fun-sling it with the best of them. Depending on how he plays during spring and his playbook knowledge, he might (and I mean might) edge out Ramsey. Faton Bauta is our mobile quarterback, and he only played in 2 games last season. I really don't know a lot about him other than he likes to play in contact jerseys so he can practice his best Tebow impression. I doubt he picks up the starting job.

With a new OC, I really believe that it could be either Ramsey or Park's to lose. Part of me would just like us to turn it over to Park and see what he could do unless Ramsey got more accurate. At the very least, we will have someone who has the capability of throwing the ball more than 12 yards unlike Hutson Mason. We (as of right now) have 247's #1 overall recruit, QB Jacob Eason, who looks like he could pull an Aaron Murray, redshirt his first year and start for as long as he wants to. Now, if he keeps his commitment (old OC was a big reason he wanted to come to UGA, Bobo was a QB guru) is a whole different story.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Eason seems to be cool with the new staff, so it looks OK at the moment.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Raku posted:

Brewer has another year of eligibility? :magical: That guy's going to wind up worse than David Ash at this rate. That Ohio State game where he was a huge hero despite having his brain turned to mush was basically like a loving movie with how gritty he was, but... ugh. He was awful most of the season and his career basically feels like a drawn out snuff film at this point.

R-Sr yeah. I'd be moderately surprised if he starts the entire year. Just a matter of time before Lawson takes over unless one of the backups really steps up.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

I put more effort into following Iowa football than I have ever put into any job I have ever had, and I literally have no idea if Iowa was in the legends or leaders.

Legends...right?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Leaders and Legends was easy to remember.

Ohio State and Michigan were in opposites and Penn State and Michigan State got to be with their rival. Then Nebraska was in the one with Michigan so that some day we could have a Penn State-Nebraska championship game to settle 1994. Because Nebraska was in the other one, that meant Wisconsin or Iowa had to be in the Ohio State-Penn State one. But a lot of people got upset that Wisconsin got taken away from its rivals, so Wisconsin had to be in the Ohio State division. All the Indiana teams were in the Ohio State division because Ohio and Indiana touch. Obviously all the leftovers (Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern) had to be in Michigan division.

I have no idea which one was Leaders and which one was Legends

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Legends...right?

I for real have no idea and I refuse to go look it up. I know Minnesota was in ours and Wisconsin was in the other one which meant we got stuck with Purdue of all teams as our permanent cross division rival and that made me mad.

e: and it was doubly bad because we didn't turn into the skid and create a stupid and unnecessary trophy for the game. College football needs more idiotic trophies. If it were up to me there would be one for at least every conference game. I want to play Rutgers for a staute of Andre Tippett or a literal jersey cow.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 5, 2015

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Mizzou has this guy named Maty Mauk and that's all you really need to know about the quarterback situation

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I for real have no idea and I refuse to go look it up.

Good for you, boycotting the worst division names in the history of football. What weird group of fuddy-duddy cornballs you have running your conference.

They probably wear varsity jackets to the office, have pennants on the wall and still ask girls to 'go steady.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JRizzle posted:

Mizzou has this guy named Maty Mauk and that's all you really need to know about the quarterback situation

They've got this Drew Lock guy now, who I kind of hope redshirts if he doesn't outright win the job.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

They've got this Drew Lock guy now, who I kind of hope redshirts if he doesn't outright win the job.

I just assume he's redshirting this season. It'd be pretty unprecedented if Pinkel went with a true freshman over the established guy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

They probably wear varsity jackets to the office, have pennants on the wall and still ask girls to 'go steady.'

I doubt they entertain relationships with women.

No, they have wives, for appearances, but their drive for Revenue is all consuming.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JRizzle posted:

I just assume he's redshirting this season. It'd be pretty unprecedented if Pinkel went with a true freshman over the established guy.

He did that weird thing with Daniel and Gabbert where they played a series every game to get them used to the experience for no goddamned reason at all. That seems like a recipe for disaster with Mauk though, imagine how crazy people would go if Lock looked even half decent.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

I doubt they entertain relationships with women.

No, they have wives, for appearances, but their drive for Revenue is all consuming.

Well, they met a malt shop, and I won't hear otherwise.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Good for you, boycotting the worst division names in the history of football. What weird group of fuddy-duddy cornballs you have running your conference.

It was an overly clever marketing gimmick put together by a meathead who knew nothing of college athletics. They had a whole ad campaign prepared based on the Leaders and Legends names to promote the Big 10 Network and all the rest.

I'm sure it looked really impressive in the boardrooms during their powerpoint presentations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MourningView posted:

I want to play Rutgers for a staute of Andre Tippett or a literal jersey cow.

Down with this

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I don't know which is funnier. Legends/Leaders or the fact that Rutgers is in the Big Ten. Every year the conference tops itself.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

I for real have no idea and I refuse to go look it up. I know Minnesota was in ours and Wisconsin was in the other one which meant we got stuck with Purdue of all teams as our permanent cross division rival and that made me mad.

e: and it was doubly bad because we didn't turn into the skid and create a stupid and unnecessary trophy for the game. College football needs more idiotic trophies. If it were up to me there would be one for at least every conference game. I want to play Rutgers for a staute of Andre Tippett or a literal jersey cow.

I want to play West Virginia for a bronzed burning couch and Kansas State for a actual tractor.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Arkansas has Brandon Allen returning for his third year. No one is thrilled by this but hopefully he will continue his improvement. I doubt that anyone will best him in spring ball but the competition for back-up will be fun to watch. We have his brother as redshirt sophomore (Austin Allen) and a fan favorite reshirt freshman (Rafe Peavey) and a touted true freshman. I expect Austin Allen to win back-up at least initially given his experience in the system and in games - I wonder if he would actually be better than Brandon this year but I don't think that he/the coaches would take out Brandon. The real competition will be next year - we look to have three good candidates and hopefully play will improve at that point. Brandon Allen just can't throw the deep ball like the other three are able to and he makes horrible decisions when rattled/hurt.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thoguh posted:

I want to play West Virginia for a bronzed burning couch and Kansas State for a actual tractor.

And whenever it changes hands, a student from the winning side drives it from the loser's campus to their own. Make it happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

And whenever it changes hands, a student from the winning side drives it from the loser's campus to their own. Make it happen.

I had to google it. Campus to campus is 350 miles. I'm picturing like 4 kids on this thing doing 20 MPH next to the highway and it's a pretty great mental image.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yo I'm in Tallahassee for an interview anywhere I should eat

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Nah it needs to be a new tractor each year, that way the game is actually subsidizing the universities' agriculture departments

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Burger King

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

DJExile posted:

I had to google it. Campus to campus is 350 miles. I'm picturing like 4 kids on this thing doing 20 MPH next to the highway and it's a pretty great mental image.

This reminds me of when I was in Provo for the BYU-Utah game a few years back I saw a U-Haul full of what looked like Utah students, and a few more running along side, just rolling down a big road in Provo. Didn't get a good enough look to see if they had a keg or grill in the back, but I like to imagine they did.

College football is the best.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Iowa State can't play for an actual tractor because half of their fanbase would become enraged by whatever brand of tractor they decided to award and threaten to bomb the stadium. Those loyalties go way deeper than football. Only Iowa State's general football incompetence prevents a green and gold clad mob from tearing down the jumbotron every time it's announced that they've entered THE CASE IH REEEEEEEDZONE

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 6, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

Iowa State can't play for an actual tractor because half of their fanbase would become enraged by whatever brand of tractor they decided to award and threaten to bomb the stadium. Those loyalties go way deeper than football. Only Iowa State's general football incompetence prevents a green and gold clad mob from tearing down the jumbotron every time it's announced that they've entered THE CASE IH REEEEEEEDZONE

ISU clearly got the better end of that redzone naming rights deal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

I've never been to Iowa. If you casually drop that you like Komatsu does it just get you straight up murdered?

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

I've never been to Iowa. If you casually drop that you like Komatsu does it just get you straight up murdered?

Foreign tractors are worse than Jeff Gordon.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Korean BBQ on Tennessee street west of Fsu campus. Get the hot beef soup.

Avenue for brunch

China Delight is really authentic if you want good double cooked pork

Voodoo dog is good I guess. Decent pizza or Momo's pizza are good but interchangeable. Gaines street pies is very good pizza

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 6, 2015

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

MourningView posted:

I still say I-AA like 99% of the time. But I also still say "Pac-10" most of the time so it's possible I'm just really bad at remembering things.

A lot of my students get confused and/or are amused when I mention D1-AA in class (having gone to JMU) because they have only known it as FCS. Of course, it's been, what, 5 years since the "change?"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

We are too polite for that but you will be shunned and given the ol' stinkeye something fierce.

For real many of the most passionate arguments I have ever witnessed in person were over the superior brand of tractor and/or pickup truck (of which there are only three: Chevy, Ford, and Dodge). Where I come from these are important matters where one picks a side early (often such loyalty is passed down from generation to generation) and then defends it until the day they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

TFF update your Ohio State and Penn State jokes accordingly as Virginia Tech steps up as the newest face of college football pedophilia:

To be fair, he was recruited from the state of Pennsylvania so you don't have to update the Penn State one too much

• Locked thread