Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Is there any way in Lightroom to export a file to multiple locations in one go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No but you can run the exports concurrently.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I made these for a friend to help her with post processing, but since I've got them I figured I might as well post them here too.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Pretty cool. Seems like a pretty effective teaching tool. Just out of curiosity, what are you doing to the photos in Photoshop?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

William T. Hornaday posted:

I made these for a friend to help her with post processing, but since I've got them I figured I might as well post them here too.
Just chiming in to say I've always loved your post processing. I remember you posted a step-by-step on the tiger one time, do you happen to still have that around to perhaps repost?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

InternetJunky posted:

Just chiming in to say I've always loved your post processing. I remember you posted a step-by-step on the tiger one time, do you happen to still have that around to perhaps repost?

This thread hasn't had any tutorials lately, which is a shame. At the same time, I've had a few requests to put together a tutorial of my own. So I guess I'll be the one to get the ball rolling again.

This is the finished product...

Sumatran Tiger by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

And I'd like to preface this by saying that I really have no idea what I'm doing most of the time. I have no formal or informal training on any of this and have just figured things out by trial and error. I can almost guarantee there are easier, quicker, and better ways of doing all of this, but I don't know what they are; so feel free to give feedback on that. And this is probably going to be longer and more boring than I intended.

So, here's what the photo looked like straight out of the camera. Canon 7D: 1/400 sec at f/4.0, ISO 200, 200 mm. Despite the fact that the light was boring and flat, I like shooting on overcast days because colors look better and it gives me a lot more freedom to adjust things to where I want. It's tougher to play around with images that already have a lot of contrast and very bright/dark areas.

Cropped it down in Lightroom.

And did some basic adjustments in Lightroom to get the overall look closer to what I wanted. A little bit of an exposure boost, slight vignette, and made the grass less yellow.

Brought it over into Photoshop as a smart object (made a few more tweaks in Camera RAW) and added a high pass layer (1 pixel radius) with 'overlay' blending mode to sharpen it just a smidge. On some photos, I'll have a second and more drastic high pass (~2 pixel radius) and mask that in to areas that really need attention or I want especially sharp (e.g., eyes, other facial features, edges of fur, etc.)

Darkened the background some with a brightness layer. This way seems to kill a lot of contrast, but I was going to make it all shadowy in the end and things tend to get to get less contrasty in low light.

Used a curves layer to apply contrast in order to bring out a lot of the color, texture, contours, and edges in the tiger. This is usually the first step I take in Photoshop. I make a curve where the darks end up being a little too dark and the lights a little too light, and then just gradually paint in the areas that I want the aforementioned characteristics come out

Used a curves layer in 'multiply' blending mode to burn the grass and create some stronger and more directional light than was actually there. Typically when burning this way, I'll also throw in a subsequent vibrance layer of about -20 to control the color in the affected areas. Like contrast, color tends to die a bit as light decreases.

Used another curves layer in 'multiply' blending mode to do the same stuff for the tiger. Again, didn't use a vibrance layer here either because I took care of the color correction later on.

Grass was still too bright, so darkened it some more with another brightness/contrast layer.

And darkened it some more. I don't know why I couldn't have just done this on the previous layer.

Used a curves layer in 'screen' blending mode to roughly dodge areas that I wanted to be facing the 'light.' And added a little color warmth to make it more sunlight-y. Sometimes when warming up dodged areas, I'll also slightly cool down the shadowed areas.

Used another curves layer in 'screen' blending mode to dodge the finer areas that I really wanted to pop with light. Also helps create a little bit more contrast to define edges and fur/body contours.

Used a vibrance layer to dull the grass. Again with the low-light, low-color thing.

Used a vibrance layer and a subsequent color balance layer to dull the tiger a bit and control the strength of the orange. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to color, and rather it be too dull than too garish.

Used a vibrance layer to give a little color boost to the brighter areas, particularly around the face.

The front leg still felt a little oversaturated, so dropped that back down a bit with another vibrance layer.

And lastly used a curves layer to add a little contrast to the eyes and make them a hair brighter.

And here's a fancy little GIF of everything I just said.

Feel free to critique the hell out of my processing technique.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Not to say your way is wrong or anything, but couldn't this be done with local adjustment brushes in LR?

Right now I'm refining my post processes skills. I got the basics down but there are a lot of tools I'm under/not/utilizing. I feel like I rarely use Photoshop in lieu of LR. Right now I only really use PS for cloning, liquify, and compositing.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I think no matter how someone does something, someone will always say "can't you do this by xxxx". Post processing is such a personal preference. I use photoshop for 90% of my editing even though I could do it in LR because I just prefer working in PS. Not that I want to speak for William T. Hornaday, but that's how it is for me anyway.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Most of it, probably. But I go kinda crazy with masking and layers, and based on what I see in Lightroom's adjustment brush panel, that would be a nightmare to keep track of. I only really played around with the adjustment brushes once way back in the day, and I remember them being a little laggy and clunky. Who knows; maybe it's better now. But Photoshop offers a whole hell of a lot more options for adjustment layers and for what I personally do with post, I can't imagine using anything else.

EDIT: And I tend to do a lot of local application of color adjustments, curves, blurring, and sharpening (high pass filters, specifically,) which Lightroom doesn't appear to offer tools for.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 5, 2015

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
It's waaaayyyy easier to do in photoshop. Managing and editing adjustment layers is way quicker than dealing with the adjustment dots in lightroom; you can see what each layer does and can easily and individually hide them to see their effect. Plus you have a finer control over the mask, can label/group the layers for easier identification, and there are more types of adjustments you can make.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Good points. I think I'll have to try doing things both ways just to see what works better for my work flow.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yeah if it's just a couple of adjustments then the LR brushes are great for that but curve layers in PS just give so much more control and precision.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.
Can somebody take a guess what's been done here?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ugggggh, it's so good.

beta posted:

Can somebody take a guess what's been done here?

A photo of a car has been imposed on a really lovely CGI background?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

The whole thing is CGI.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Haggins posted:

The whole thing is CGI.

The car is at least done well then.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.

Haggins posted:

The whole thing is CGI.

I think it's not. The photographer seems to process for that cartoonish/cgi feel.
Found them on https://plus.google.com/u/0/+luxuriousmagazine/posts

No idea how to copy that myself. (edit: it is CGI, and I'm an idiot)

beta fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 6, 2015

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
That link specifically states they were done in Autodesk VRED, so yes, it's cgi.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

In the garage door photo look at the reflections of the door in the car. That seems like a difficult thing to do if the whole thing wasn't cgi. In the other photo look at the driver. He looks like a GTA character.

I heard somewhere that most car commercials have cgi cars. There are people out there that are very good at it

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Well that makes sense, since reflections on cars are quite difficult to control irl. Whereas cgi reflective/glossy surfaces are easier to get to look real while also having absolute control over the reflection

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Is the book mentioned in the OP still highly recommended or is it outdated? I'm pretty much completely new to PS and LR and even though I've played around a bunch with LR I'd like to get my hands on a book that'll give me a deeper understanding of their functions and post-processing in general. Hell, I'll grab a bunch of books if they're all worthwhile.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

I'd like to get my hands on a book that'll give me a deeper understanding of their functions and post-processing in general.
Deeper understanding, huh?

Take a computational photography class, learn to compute homography transformations, and process your own panoramas in MATLAB. :haw:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

My body isn't ready.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Kit Walker posted:

Is the book mentioned in the OP still highly recommended or is it outdated? I'm pretty much completely new to PS and LR and even though I've played around a bunch with LR I'd like to get my hands on a book that'll give me a deeper understanding of their functions and post-processing in general. Hell, I'll grab a bunch of books if they're all worthwhile.

Seconding this. Any newer recommendations out there?

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004
I just ordered it because it was only 30 bucks, but from what I've read I doubt it will feel dated. It's written in the era of CS3, sure, but other than automating some now common actions, the differences in Photoshop since then are fairly minimal.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

tau posted:

Seconding this. Any newer recommendations out there?

There is a whole bunch of stuff on youtube. I mean its not a book, but there is so many tutorials and workflows out there for different types of things, like landscapes, portraits, B&W, etc... Especially for lightroom, Its pretty easy. For PS its a different story. I mean you could take a semester on it and only cover a few things.

Edit, like this dude.. A bit high strung, but hes got tons of tutorials on youtube, check him out...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaDDjiNgWX-uRXOx6LPsYQ

Peechka fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 30, 2015

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A photo contest has short-listed one of my photos and now they want and full-sized original of what I submitted. For the submission I had to resize the image to 1920x1280. Unfortunately I can't find the original, edited version before resizing. When I overlay the image I submitted over the original RAW in photoshop the image doesn't line up at all, so I can't use that as a template.

Is there an easy way to match the exact crop in photoshop?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Wait, so you do or don't have a Photoshop copy with all the adjustment layers intact and separate?

I'm confused.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Wait, so you do or don't have a Photoshop copy with all the adjustment layers intact and separate?

I'm confused.
I have the RAW file and the scaled down version I submitted (created using image->image size). I don't have the photoshop file. If I can recreate the exact crop I should be ok since I really didn't change much.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Put the processed image over the raw, set it to 50% transparency, free transform it until it matches, throw some snap guides on and crop to them.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Peechka posted:

There is a whole bunch of stuff on youtube. I mean its not a book, but there is so many tutorials and workflows out there for different types of things, like landscapes, portraits, B&W, etc... Especially for lightroom, Its pretty easy. For PS its a different story. I mean you could take a semester on it and only cover a few things.

Edit, like this dude.. A bit high strung, but hes got tons of tutorials on youtube, check him out...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaDDjiNgWX-uRXOx6LPsYQ

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind. Solved!

tau fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 1, 2015

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Lightroom update today. HDR! Panoramas! GPU processing! brushes inside graduated filters! Fun stuff.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The GPU acceleration is... Ok?

Lord help me if I try to do any kind of exposure adjustment after doing even a tiny bit of brush adjustment, spot removal, or when the effects and detail modules are on. This was present in 5.7, but it seems even more pronounced now.

Not to mention brush painting is significantly slower now too.

But hey at least I can loupe quickly?

EDIT: Went back to 5.7. Runs immensely better on my 1.5 year old machine.

In other news VSCO pack 00 is currently free right now:

http://vsco.co/film/00/lightroom

iSheep fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 22, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol it's 2 free presets. Thanks VSCO

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I noticed no increase or decrease in the UI performance, which is a bummer, because I was hoping I would see a slight improvement. Oh well.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of the LR update, is the notification when I open LR5.7 going to do anything but direct me to the loving Creative Cloud page where they want me to sign up for it? Usually, when updates would come it'd take me to a page where I could directly download the update, now that page is nigh-impossible to find on the Adobe page as of late. Also, when I did find it today, the new update wasn't to be found on there (only 5.7). I'm pretty sure it's available as a standalone for like $159 without a CC subscription, but now I have no idea if my already-owned license will even apply to the new update. I'm getting fairly pissed because this new update will definitely lop off my post-processing time, but I'm feeling like I'm either being strongly encouraged to either spend $159 or subscribe to CC, neither of which I want to do. I don't want to pay $9.99 a month for a program I already bought before they brought in this newfangled CC subscription service, and I don't really want to pay $159 for a program I already own and to which I should be entitled to updates.

Anyone know what the deal is here?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Since we're talking about it in here: WTF Adobe @ their payment process.

I bought Lightroom 6 yesterday at 5:10pm Pacific time. I then saw a message that said thanks for your order, it may take up to 24 hours to process it.

For a digital download.

I just got the email saying they'd processed my order this morning at 9am this morning and now I could download it.

What is this, 1997?

life is killing me posted:

Speaking of the LR update, is the notification when I open LR5.7 going to do anything but direct me to the loving Creative Cloud page where they want me to sign up for it? Usually, when updates would come it'd take me to a page where I could directly download the update, now that page is nigh-impossible to find on the Adobe page as of late. Also, when I did find it today, the new update wasn't to be found on there (only 5.7). I'm pretty sure it's available as a standalone for like $159 without a CC subscription, but now I have no idea if my already-owned license will even apply to the new update. I'm getting fairly pissed because this new update will definitely lop off my post-processing time, but I'm feeling like I'm either being strongly encouraged to either spend $159 or subscribe to CC, neither of which I want to do. I don't want to pay $9.99 a month for a program I already bought before they brought in this newfangled CC subscription service, and I don't really want to pay $159 for a program I already own and to which I should be entitled to updates.

Anyone know what the deal is here?
As best I could tell there is no upgrade price at all. I was confused too, but said "gently caress it" and just bought LR6. I don't need any of the creative cloud stuff and $160 is the equivalent of 16 months of CC subscriptions for LR only. It's been ~2 years since LR5 was released so if they stick to that schedule it'll be a wash financially either way.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 22, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kenshin posted:

Since we're talking about it in here: WTF Adobe @ their payment process.

I bought Lightroom 6 yesterday at 5:10pm Pacific time. I then saw a message that said thanks for your order, it may take up to 24 hours to process it.

For a digital download.

I just got the email saying they'd processed my order this morning at 9am this morning and now I could download it.

What is this, 1997?
That's strange that it would take that long, especially since the subscription customers seem to get processed immediately. I enrolled in Creative Cloud last week and was able to install the application manager and get my programs within minutes.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That's strange that it would take that long, especially since the subscription customers seem to get processed immediately. I enrolled in Creative Cloud last week and was able to install the application manager and get my programs within minutes.

Starting to wonder if it's a deliberate "gently caress you" to people who don't want to subscribe to CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's not news that Adobe is terrible. I think they hand all of their account management and installer related stuff off to the interns to develop. I couldn't upgrade my Lightroom yesterday because I had to download an update for the CC client first. It kept failing to download, and after hours of googling and back and forth with support, I ended up having to dig through a box of old computer parts to find a different wifi adapter. Turns out for some unknown reason, my wifi adapter was preventing me from downloading their update and only changing my hardware solved the problem. Of course this has only ever been an issue with Adobe. Hundreds of others have had this same issue, if you google Adobe installer error 205.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 22, 2015

• Locked thread